Evolution vs. Creation

There are 163688 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

The Dude

Wallasey, UK

#111385 Apr 15, 2014
Nick wrote:
<quoted text>
Well theres this book called the bible
The Bible is evidence that people didn't know what shape the Earth is.

It's not evidence of much else.(shrug)
Nick wrote:
and if you look at the complexity of things in themselves it seems impossible that they just evolved over time
Only to clueless people.

What you're forgetting is that nature can produce greater complexity than any designer.
The Dude

Wallasey, UK

#111386 Apr 15, 2014
Nick wrote:
<quoted text>
Well i believe God made everything but i believe things mutate and in natural selection i just don't believe that an ape or something else would eventually change into you and i or something else
Your beliefs don't matter.

Reality doesn't care what you believe.

This is not a case of us thinking evolution MIGHT happen and you thinking it can't. Evolution HAPPENED.
The Dude

Wallasey, UK

#111387 Apr 15, 2014
Nick wrote:
We don't reject all evidence
Yes you do. Because you simply don't realise that if you throw away certain aspects of any scientific fields it means the ENTIRE scientific field cannot work.

You don't understand that so you think it's okay to just pick and choose which bits of science you like. Reality doesn't work that way.
Nick wrote:
a lot of christians believe in most of the things you do
Okay, two major home truths here you're still not getting:

1 - You do NOT represent Christianity as a whole. You are NOT an expert on Christianity. You are NOT an expert on God. You do NOT know more about those things than I do, or anyone else. Your beliefs are YOURS, and nobody else has to agree.

2 - Your beliefs DO NOT MATTER. Never have. Reality DOES NOT CARE what you believe. Reality is real whether you believe in it or not.
Nick wrote:
one of the only things we don't believe is that one animal can change into another and all you guys have to "prove" that one animal turns into another is fossil records with tons of holes and unobservable ideas
You're lying. I presented you the evidence. You didn't even read it, because it showed LOTS more than just a few fossils. Why are you lying? Doesn't your God have a COMMANDMENT about that?

Oh, sorry. I forgot. You think you have a get out of hell free card just because you can say "sorry" at the end. What a massive ego stroke that must be.

“I be me, and you are...”

Level 6

Since: Dec 06

in a city...

#111388 Apr 15, 2014
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
This scientific "way of perversion" is the only thing that provides the material luxury to allow your brand of whimsical mental discombobulation to survive. If you had to actually think through and act on the real problems of staying alive without this economic and technological cocoon, you would be dead pretty fast.
But you bite the hand that fed and clothed and warmed and sheltered you.
Yeah so then we play call of duty ghosts...

So really...

I suppose we can *all* apply some Theory into what it is to survive and or if so or not for what then exactly?

Swallowing a hard candy when it gets stuck when you were little did it make you feel panici and if so to know that is having felt panic ...so I HAVE heard people's well some people's stories and they had to wake up in ditches or waith *they woke up in ditches* according to them they had to that was their life etc...

Come to find out they had not Reason to be out and lost and well...they did and they claim...

Technologic in that has what REASON?

If Techno had it that dude would have been maybe a goner but something else may have stepped in...

And then something very easily could have stabbed him into something else?

How adventurous some become....
The Dude

Wallasey, UK

#111389 Apr 15, 2014
THE LONE WORKER wrote:
<quoted text>God is only limited to the limits he has put on himself. God can not go against his own word and he can not lie. God created angels and most Bible believers think he was speaking to them when he said "Let us" and the Bible does say there are false gods also that people make and put before the true God.
Still don't care Mikey.

And stop telling God what to do.
The Dude

Wallasey, UK

#111390 Apr 15, 2014
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Single animals don't change into new species. But populations of animals (and plants, by the way) will change into a population of a different species over time and in the right circumstances.
Here are a couple of basic facts:
1. There were no humans on Earth 5 million years ago.
2. There are humans on Earth now.
3. There were species of apes around 5 million years ago.
4. Biologically, humans are a type of ape.
5. The species of ape around 5 million years ago were not around 2.5 million years ago and are not around today.
6. Some of the species of ape around 2.5 million years ago were more similar to humans than any around 5 million years ago.
7. The species around 1 million years ago were different than those around 2.5 million years go and are also not around today.
8. Some of the species around 1 million years ago were more similar to humans than any around 2.5 million years ago. But there were still no humans around 1 million years ago.
9. The same things can be said about gorillas: no gorillas were around 5 million years ago; there were species around 2.5 million years ago that were more similar to gorillas than any around 5 million years ago. And there were species around 1 million years ago that were more similar to modern gorillas than any around 2.5 million years ago.
10. A half a million years ago, there were no modern humans. But there were species that were more similar to humans than any that were around 2.5 million years ago.
11. About 100,000 years ago, there were anatomically modern humans.
Now, what exactly can you conclude from these facts? The most obvious and supported answer is that modern humans evolved from apes that lived 5 million years ago, that changed over time, sometimes splitting into new species. The same can be said of *all* modern species.
The same types of things can be said about, say, horses, or oxen, or camels, or any other species you care to mention. That is why we say that species evolve over time.
Too fast...

Level 6

in a city...

#111391 Apr 15, 2014
You know no Reason and waith wayeth what were they waiting for???

Why one would have placed self in it...a giving up maybe...
The Dude

Wallasey, UK

#111392 Apr 15, 2014
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't forget that worldwide most Christians accept the theory of evolution. They know that the book of Genesis is a myth. The only first world country with significant population that believes the creation myth is the U.S..
PHEW!!! That's a relief!

Oh, wait...

:-/

Level 6

in a city...

#111393 Apr 15, 2014
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm well aware of it. I'm also aware that no one knows who actually wrote it.
<quoted text>
It seems impossible to you. Odd that it does not seem impossible to the tens of thousands of professional scientists who are experts in the field. Why do you think that is?
A video recorded source has it they do not know Bleep...

Science has no editing...maybe...Where as Technologic seems to differentiates fore-sight sometimes is key...

To possible and possibilities as far as Universal it may be not as vast as once thought of but that doesn't mean Worlds do not exist...
Toss in Relics
and what ever lies around a toss in much is in simplicities much thought of...

Level 6

in a city...

#111394 Apr 15, 2014
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
PHEW!!! That's a relief!
Oh, wait...
:-/
LOL
:)

did that smirk get plastered into your reel...I like to place things down on paper when things get up-tied...if you fold a sheet in half you get 4 sides...

If you want to get really logistic you can use 4 squares two sided and well...

Did you wait it through?
THE LONE WORKER

Bowling Green, KY

#111395 Apr 15, 2014
A catastrophic loss of old cultivar seeds is one detrimental consequence of mans reliance on selective breeding. Kinds have been their same sorts for as long as anyone knows and many evolutionists of the past have gone along with the science that brought this about. The one problem with these selective hybrids, is that the seeds can not be saved to be reproduced year after year. A Heritage Seed Library is the only failsafe that will keep a catastrophic loss from occurring and the non-hybrid varieties are getting harder to find because of the careless greed in the world today. Much of science today is profit related.
THE LONE WORKER

Bowling Green, KY

#111396 Apr 15, 2014
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Still don't care Mikey.
And stop telling God what to do.
It's all in the Bible. If anyone cares to learn about the God of the Bible, he is not a respecter of persons and they can find him for them selves by reading the Bible. Either you don't understand, or you are just trying to be contrary.
The Dude

Wallasey, UK

#111397 Apr 15, 2014
THE LONE WORKER wrote:
<quoted text>It's all in the Bible.
Doesn't matter. Evidence doesn't support it.
THE LONE WORKER wrote:
If anyone cares to learn about the God of the Bible
I did.
THE LONE WORKER wrote:
he is not a respecter of persons
Precisely the problem.
THE LONE WORKER wrote:
and they can find him for them selves by reading the Bible.
Actually they can't, since God is not in the Bible. Even if such a thing does exist.

Fact is the Bible is the works of an ancient peoples who sought to control a gullible populous by the least amount of effort necessary. They succeeded.

The astounding part is that they managed to control the gullible like yourself, today in the 21st century. Politics could well have been the first skill humans created.
THE LONE WORKER wrote:
Either you don't understand, or you are just trying to be contrary.
I understand fine. You have some old book with zero evidence and you're trying to preach BS to us by threatening our eternal souls, while not realising that the slavery you offer is not very appealing. Especially when we don't get compensated until AFTER we die.

"Religion first started when the first con-man met the first fool." - Mark Twain

Level 6

in a city...

#111398 Apr 15, 2014
THE LONE WORKER wrote:
<quoted text>It's all in the Bible. If anyone cares to learn about the God of the Bible, he is not a respecter of persons and they can find him for them selves by reading the Bible. Either you don't understand, or you are just trying to be contrary.
Have you read the MATRIX?
If not where are your manners or where is your Moral in reading ?

Do you keep your Bible on the coffee table? Sure it is an interesting conversation peace of
Informative info?

What's your favorite chapter and verse and how does it help you in the daily routine and so if you have none how does it serve?

Level 6

in a city...

#111399 Apr 15, 2014
HI !!!
THE LONE WORKER

Bowling Green, KY

#111400 Apr 15, 2014
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Doesn't matter. Evidence doesn't support it.
<quoted text>
I did.
<quoted text>
Precisely the problem.
<quoted text>
Actually they can't, since God is not in the Bible. Even if such a thing does exist.
Fact is the Bible is the works of an ancient peoples who sought to control a gullible populous by the least amount of effort necessary. They succeeded.
The astounding part is that they managed to control the gullible like yourself, today in the 21st century. Politics could well have been the first skill humans created.
<quoted text>
I understand fine. You have some old book with zero evidence and you're trying to preach BS to us by threatening our eternal souls, while not realising that the slavery you offer is not very appealing. Especially when we don't get compensated until AFTER we die.
"Religion first started when the first con-man met the first fool." - Mark Twain
Those who seek the truth will find the truth. No body could pay me enough to lie about this. I control my own thoughts and I have found my own evidence that proves the God of the Bible is the one true Creator and the Gospel of Jesus is true.
Nick

Red Deer, Canada

#111401 Apr 15, 2014
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
We're not talking about a ***word***, bub. That was just an analogy to try and explain the concept to you. Too bad you missed it.
Now how about you respond to what I posted.
I dont know what you posted i never saw it
Andeven when its nkt a word my words still stand
Nick

Red Deer, Canada

#111402 Apr 15, 2014
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm well aware of it. I'm also aware that no one knows who actually wrote it.
Um you know it does say in the bible in many of its book who it was written by
THE LONE WORKER

Bowling Green, KY

#111403 Apr 15, 2014
Tinka wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you read the MATRIX?
If not where are your manners or where is your Moral in reading ?
Do you keep your Bible on the coffee table? Sure it is an interesting conversation peace of
Informative info?
What's your favorite chapter and verse and how does it help you in the daily routine and so if you have none how does it serve?
I don't just display my Bible for show, I keep it to read and learn from. My favorite verse is JOHN 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
Nick

Red Deer, Canada

#111404 Apr 15, 2014
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Such as what?
Well for one you guys all say well it just happened over time we can never experience evolution in our short life times doesn't that by its self make evolution questionable

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
TOPIX you f**ked Up! 9 min Bounty Hunter 6
Keep a Word.....Drop a Word Game (Sep '13) 13 min _FLATLINE-------- 8,053
***Keep a Word~Drop a Word*** (Jan '10) 22 min _FLATLINE-------- 79,126
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 24 min Broken Lance 11,354
Add a word and drop a word (Jan '14) 25 min _FLATLINE-------- 3,466
Poll Middle East Solutions 27 min Jay R 1
News 'It feels weird asking everybody for permission... 28 min Emerald 75
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 1 hr Poop 162,730
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 2 hr TALLYHO 8541 40,628
News Driver Clocked at 153MPH in Dodge Wagon 2 hr Parden Pard 6