Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 222738 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

Nick

Canada

#111362 Apr 15, 2014
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
In the case of a gene duplication, yes it's only a repeat of info that's already there. But ten fingers is more than five.
Also, if that duplication is passed on to the NEXT generation then another mutation might change some of that extra info which will leave us with NEW information.
<quoted text>
I can say that because you say you accept it then you'll provide a creationist link which ignores or rejects natural selection. It doesn't matter what you SAY, it matters what you understand.
Creationists lie about evolution, period. Then you believe them because that's what you want to. But your problem is you can't tell the difference between fact and fiction. So you just go with whatever feels good.
That is why you only rely on opinions while we rely on facts.

Well the websites i used either weren't dealing with that subject right then or they did support it
Christians believe in natural selection
Nick

Canada

#111363 Apr 15, 2014
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
In the case of a gene duplication, yes it's only a repeat of info that's already there. But ten fingers is more than five.
Also, if that duplication is passed on to the NEXT generation then another mutation might change some of that extra info which will leave us with NEW information.
But there still fingers that all im saying i believe things change and in natural selection and all that i just dont believe something like fingers could turn into something new they will always remain fingers just as amoebas stay amoebas and apes stay apes
Nick

Canada

#111364 Apr 15, 2014
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
The point is that a mutation may affect the duplicated gene without affecting the original gene or its function. The mutated duplicate *may* lead to new function (AKA information).
But it will still always stay as the word bingo i may repeat or be reduced but theres no new letters in that word
Nick

Canada

#111366 Apr 15, 2014
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
None? Incorrect. You might argue the interpretation of the evidence but to claim it does not exist is just ignorance.
BTW, what evidence do you have?
Well theres this book called the bible and if you look at the complexity of things in themselves it seems impossible that they just evolved over time

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#111367 Apr 15, 2014
Nick wrote:
<quoted text>
But there still fingers that all im saying i believe things change and in natural selection and all that i just dont believe something like fingers could turn into something new they will always remain fingers just as amoebas stay amoebas and apes stay apes
You have a propensity for stating "I believe" and following it with something unfounded. You might want to reconsider your frame of mind if you're ever audited by the IRS.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#111368 Apr 15, 2014
Nick wrote:
<quoted text>
But it will still always stay as the word bingo i may repeat or be reduced but theres no new letters in that word
We're not talking about a ***word***, bub. That was just an analogy to try and explain the concept to you. Too bad you missed it.

Now how about you respond to what I posted.
Nick

Canada

#111369 Apr 15, 2014
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
You might. Not all creationists do. Our friend, Urban Cowboy, believes everything poofed into existence full formed.
Well i believe God made everything but i believe things mutate and in natural selection i just don't believe that an ape or something else would eventually change into you and i or something else

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#111370 Apr 15, 2014
Nick wrote:
<quoted text>
Well theres this book called the bible and if you look at the complexity of things in themselves it seems impossible that they just evolved over time
So, what you're saying is, "Well *I* can't figure out how it's done, so it just HAS to be God!"

Right?

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#111371 Apr 15, 2014
Nick wrote:
<quoted text>
Well theres this book called the bible...
I'm well aware of it. I'm also aware that no one knows who actually wrote it.
Nick wrote:
...and if you look at the complexity of things in themselves it seems impossible that they just evolved over time
It seems impossible to you. Odd that it does not seem impossible to the tens of thousands of professional scientists who are experts in the field. Why do you think that is?
Nick

Canada

#111372 Apr 15, 2014
TerryL wrote:
<quoted text>Let's see...
One side of the 'story' uses all available evidence and draws conclusions based on that evidence as a whole.
One side of the 'story' has a predetermined conclusion and rejects all evidence that they see as going against their predetermined conclusion.
Which side should be given the most respect... and why?
We don't reject all evidence a lot of christians believe in most of the things you do one of the only things we don't believe is that one animal can change into another and all you guys have to "prove" that one animal turns into another is fossil records with tons of holes and unobservable ideas
THE LONE WORKER

United States

#111373 Apr 15, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Um, no. Neither one. There are several cases in the Babble where God's hands were tied or he was flummoxed, and there are several points that indicate he was not alone in creating the universe.("Let >us< create...", "No other gods before me...", etc.) And then don't forget Amun. But don't wrinkle your feathers over it since the whole thing is balderdash, anyway.
God is only limited to the limits he has put on himself. God can not go against his own word and he can not lie. God created angels and most Bible believers think he was speaking to them when he said "Let us" and the Bible does say there are false gods also that people make and put before the true God.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#111374 Apr 15, 2014
THE LONE WORKER wrote:
<quoted text>God is only limited to the limits he has put on himself. God can not go against his own word and he can not lie. God created angels and most Bible believers think he was speaking to them when he said "Let us" and the Bible does say there are false gods also that people make and put before the true God.
It's good that God has humans to read and write Bibles, otherwise He'd have no idea what He could think, do or say.

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#111375 Apr 15, 2014
Nick wrote:
<quoted text>
We don't reject all evidence a lot of christians believe in most of the things you do one of the only things we don't believe is that one animal can change into another and all you guys have to "prove" that one animal turns into another is fossil records with tons of holes and unobservable ideas
Such as what?

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#111376 Apr 15, 2014
Nick wrote:
<quoted text>
If you reject ANY evidence in favor of your religious beliefs you are no longer in the realm of "science"!

Do you know who the ONLY people are that suggest evolution means one animal magically morphing into another?

Answer: Creationists

Do you know why?

Answer: Because they know the people they are targeting with that stupid, totally misleading, completely erroneous description of the "Theory of Evolution" are to lazy and ignorant to question their claims. You know... folks like you

“Up with which, I will not put”

Since: Jul 08

Sao Paulo

#111377 Apr 15, 2014
Nick wrote:
<quoted text>
You bring up a good point for an analogy. Let's say instead of repeating the word yourself, you whispered the word into the ear of another person, who whispered it into the ear of yet another person, and so on. Now let's say we did this with a million people. What would be the "word" the last person in line had whispered into their ear? How many times over did this word or phrase evolve into something else by an individual adding or taking away something from the original word?

Now let's say instead of a single line of people, we had branches of strings of people, branching out into more strings, until we had millions of different end points. After passing through the millions of people, how many different versions of a final product would we have? Of course we cannot answer that, but we can assume there would be many different versions.

But unlike your belief, we could set up events to research the possibilities and analyze the different outcomes, rather than accepting that 'the outcome is impossible, the word or phrase was informed in a controlled manner, and that's that. Bingo.

“Up with which, I will not put”

Since: Jul 08

Sao Paulo

#111378 Apr 15, 2014
Nick wrote:
<quoted text>
Over the last few days of posting, you've demonstrated a total lack of regard for punctuation, yet you chose to use quotes around 'Prove'.

So you're selective in punctuation as well?

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#111379 Apr 15, 2014
Nick wrote:
<quoted text>
Single animals don't change into new species. But populations of animals (and plants, by the way) will change into a population of a different species over time and in the right circumstances.

Here are a couple of basic facts:

1. There were no humans on Earth 5 million years ago.

2. There are humans on Earth now.

3. There were species of apes around 5 million years ago.

4. Biologically, humans are a type of ape.

5. The species of ape around 5 million years ago were not around 2.5 million years ago and are not around today.

6. Some of the species of ape around 2.5 million years ago were more similar to humans than any around 5 million years ago.

7. The species around 1 million years ago were different than those around 2.5 million years go and are also not around today.

8. Some of the species around 1 million years ago were more similar to humans than any around 2.5 million years ago. But there were still no humans around 1 million years ago.

9. The same things can be said about gorillas: no gorillas were around 5 million years ago; there were species around 2.5 million years ago that were more similar to gorillas than any around 5 million years ago. And there were species around 1 million years ago that were more similar to modern gorillas than any around 2.5 million years ago.

10. A half a million years ago, there were no modern humans. But there were species that were more similar to humans than any that were around 2.5 million years ago.

11. About 100,000 years ago, there were anatomically modern humans.

Now, what exactly can you conclude from these facts? The most obvious and supported answer is that modern humans evolved from apes that lived 5 million years ago, that changed over time, sometimes splitting into new species. The same can be said of *all* modern species.

The same types of things can be said about, say, horses, or oxen, or camels, or any other species you care to mention. That is why we say that species evolve over time.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#111380 Apr 15, 2014
Nick wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't forget that worldwide most Christians accept the theory of evolution. They know that the book of Genesis is a myth. The only first world country with significant population that believes the creation myth is the U.S..
The Dude

Wallasey, UK

#111381 Apr 15, 2014
Nick wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok i believe they gain info just that this isnt new info its te same that they had before just more of it
Nick, is it just that you can't grasp the concept of more information changing into new information later?

Or are you simply rejecting it outright because you don't want to believe it?

Remember, your beliefs don't matter. It DOES happen.
The Dude

Wallasey, UK

#111382 Apr 15, 2014
Nick wrote:
<quoted text>
Well the websites i used either weren't dealing with that subject right then or they did support it
Christians believe in natural selection
Then if I didn't want to be lied to I'd stop reading creationist websites.(shrug)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
First Word That Comes To Mind ....... (Apr '10) 6 min Humor 13,168
'Double Letter S' (Dec '12) 43 min Crazy Jae 871
Let's Play Songs Titled with Two Words ... (Nov '14) 44 min wichita-rick 2,557
Word Association (Mar '10) 45 min Crazy Jae 22,570
Let's play "follow the word" (Jun '08) 46 min Crazy Jae 49,896
Post any FOUR words (Feb '16) 48 min Crazy Jae 3,674
lets play follow the word! (Jul '08) 49 min Crazy Jae 39,819
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 1 hr wichita-rick 223,333
Poll What are you thinking right now? (May '08) 2 hr Crazy Jae 6,038
True False Game (Jun '11) 3 hr Liza 15,560