Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 169042 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

“Up with which, I will not put”

Since: Jul 08

Sao Paulo

#111200 Apr 13, 2014
Nick wrote:
<quoted text>
My gosh your stupid...
Someone making the accusation "My gosh 'your' stupid..." shouldn't have the right to make that kind of exclamation at all.

Before you call other people stupid Nick, think first. You're addressing an educated crowd of people.

“Up with which, I will not put”

Since: Jul 08

Sao Paulo

#111201 Apr 13, 2014
Nick wrote:
<quoted text>
My gosh your stupid all i was saying is that i have an open opinion and can tell when somethings bs
And font reply by telling me im oh soo stupid because i cant see that evolution is real it clearly isnt its full of holes
And you clearly do not have an 'open' opinion. You willingly dismiss any 'opinion' that goes against your Biblical beliefs. You have a mind that is as 'open' as someone with their eyes forced shut, with their fingers plugging their ears, yelling "LALALALALALALALALALALALA LALALALA" to avoid hearing anything that may refute your beliefs. I'm not calling you stupid Nick, just ignorant.
Nick

Red Deer, Canada

#111202 Apr 13, 2014
JM_Brazil wrote:
<quoted text>
Someone making the accusation "My gosh 'your' stupid..." shouldn't have the right to make that kind of exclamation at all.
Before you call other people stupid Nick, think first. You're addressing an educated crowd of people.
Ya and educated group of people thats why you picked and chose at what i said because honestly that with the rest of it made sense
Nick

Red Deer, Canada

#111203 Apr 13, 2014
JM_Brazil wrote:
<quoted text>
And you clearly do not have an 'open' opinion. You willingly dismiss any 'opinion' that goes against your Biblical beliefs. You have a mind that is as 'open' as someone with their eyes forced shut, with their fingers plugging their ears, yelling "LALALALALALALALALALALALA LALALALA" to avoid hearing anything that may refute your beliefs. I'm not calling you stupid Nick, just ignorant.
I have an open opinion but i know enough to tell that theres alot of holes in the evolutionary theory so i choose not to believe it because its bs

“Just because it is possible”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

Doesn't mean it will happen.

#111204 Apr 13, 2014
Nick wrote:
<quoted text>
My gosh your stupid all i was saying is that i have an open opinion and can tell when somethings bs
And font reply by telling me im oh soo stupid because i cant see that evolution is real it clearly isnt its full of holes
But Nick, you clearly can't tell reality from belief. It isn't surprising those that can are short with you. You go on and on about evolution, but you have shown that the best you know is repeating what you find on web sites with no credibility.

You have alleged that your stepfather is a biology, physics and mathematics teacher and expect that should mean something other than he hasn't taught you very well or at all. I am surprised he doesn't teach chemistry and geology as well.

“Rising”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Milky Way

#111205 Apr 13, 2014
Nick wrote:
<quoted text>
I have an open opinion but i know enough to tell that theres alot of holes in the evolutionary theory so i choose not to believe it because its bs
We call it cognitive dissonance.

Level 9

#111206 Apr 13, 2014
Nick wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, you have an opinion. Big deal. It isn't informed. All you have posted from other sites has been debunked for you, so what are these holes in the theory you speak of? If you know enough, then it should be no trouble for you to present what you know.

Level 9

#111207 Apr 13, 2014
Nick wrote:
<quoted text>
Ya and educated group of people thats why you picked and chose at what i said because honestly that with the rest of it made sense
That isn't very good thinking Nick. It says that at least some of what you posted was bullshit and you that you knew it. Let me tell you, that is only half right. All of what you posted was bullshit.

You asserted IC and complexity preclude evolution and were shown that was wrong.

You asserted macromutations were necessary to be considered new information and were shown that was wrong.

You asserted the infallibility of the Bible and were shown that isn't true.

You have asserted that you have a educated professional to set you straight and have been shown that is not true. No one appears to be giving you solid evidence and information on evolution except us.

You claim evolution can't happen by chance and you were shown why that is not the case.

You claim ID, but where shown that there is no evidence for anything intelligently designed apart from that which has been designed by man.

I could go on, but it isn't necessary to give you both barrels to shoot down this latest assertion.

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#111208 Apr 14, 2014
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>To be honest, I think you are a COMPLETE IDIOT.
No humans had apes or monkeys for ancestors. Though I can see you are giving it a personal go at convincing us you do.
Evolution has never said or supported that humans evolved from apes or monkeys. We are an ape. We share a common ancestor with apes and further back with monkeys.
According to evolution we did have an ape for an ancestor, just not any modern species of ape. And we along with all the other apes had monkey as an ancestor, just not any modern species of monkey. And we, apes, and monkeys all had a pro-simian primate for an ancestor just not any modern species of lemur or tarsier or tree shrew. etc.

Level 6

Location hidden

#111209 Apr 14, 2014
Nick wrote:
<quoted text>
You just said that you mint the coins so you would have to design them they didnt just mutate into life
Seems you do not grasp the important point in the example, which is not who mints the coins but the fact that nobody had to "design" the new shapes.

All we did was base the new coins on the "successful" previous generation (i.e. analogous to heredity in life - you are similar to your parents), and add in a few RANDOM changes at the same time (i.e. as mutations do), and then let the coin tosses select which coins made it through to the next iteration (i.e. natural selection, the ones showing the most heads being the survivors).

So it looks like you missed the point completely. Its no wonder the critics of your lot tend to winnow their responses down to mere derogatory ridicule after a while. Sometimes it seems you deserve it. Why not think through the example given and offer an intelligent response?

Level 6

Location hidden

#111210 Apr 14, 2014
Nick wrote:
<quoted text>
No its not you just said that existing information creates new info with Darwin's finches for example the beaks changed a little but they were still just beaks they didn't change into fins or wings.
So Darwin's finch beaks perhaps did not require "additional information", being a relatively minor change.

Yet your ASSERTION was that new information was impossible and my EXAMPLE with the recipe, which is precisely analogous to a gene duplication event, showed you WHY that assertion of yours was plain false. Gene duplication happens, and it adds information, and the example showed you why. When you duplicate the instruction to add raisins, you get a different scone.

And you go back to finches beaks. Another off track response. How about the minor change to a myoglobin duplicate, which resulted in hemoglobin? How about the fact that some humans have more amylase gene duplicates than others, and so digest starches more effectively?

You are not even in the ballpark with this finch response. So clearly you have cut'n'pasted the "easy answers" those charlatans from the Discovery Institute offer, and then you carefully avoid dealing with the actual science that debunks them. We all know WANT to believe they are right, so badly, that your brain is forced to shut down when logic shows they are F.O.S, and virtually every trained biologist in the world laughs at their nonsense.

Level 6

Location hidden

#111211 Apr 14, 2014
Nick wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually its becoming clear that you cannot tell when something is bs. All you can do is repeat arguments you hope are true and run away from the responses that show they are not.

Level 6

Location hidden

#111212 Apr 14, 2014
Nick wrote:
<quoted text>
The "holes" you claim have been answered. Therefore if you really had the "open opinion" you claim, you would either provide more arguments or you would accept that perhaps you were mistaken in the first place. But we all know you won't do that. Evolution is not "bs" to you because its full of holes, its "bs" to you simply because you think it threatens your religious convictions. At least you could be honest with yourself.

Say to yourself, I dare you "I cannot afford to consider that evolution might be true because if its true then some of the Bible is wrong therefore other parts of the Bible might be wrong too therefore the whole promise of heaven might not be true and I cannot deal with that possibility".

That would be a refreshing change from all these phony aguments.

Level 6

Location hidden

#111213 Apr 14, 2014
SevenTee wrote:
Adolph Hitler has written that the Aryan (German) race would be the leader in all human progress. To accomplish that goal, all “lower races” should either be enslaved or eliminated. The theory of evolution and its “survival of the fittest” philosophy had taken root in Hitler’s warped mind.
Yes, a warped version of evolution. Along with a warped view of Christianity, in that Hitler believed along with Luther, that Jews were a "pit of poisonous vipers" etc etc. and anti-semitism has a long and infamous history in Europe for 2000 years.

In other words, Hitler warped everything to suit himself.

Christians down in South Africa, long before Hitler, also believed themselves to be the chosen race and blacks were inferior and bore "the mark of Cain". That was after Christians and Muslims around the world had ruthlessly slaughtered "heathen savages", all long before Darwin or evolution were thought of. Spartans were highly racist 700 years before Christ, and not only that, practiced eugenics and infanticide on their own population to keep it "superior".

So...trying to pretend that racism is a result of evolution is absurd. But of course, you guys will try anything to discredit science, when it threatens your religious convictions.

Level 6

Location hidden

#111214 Apr 14, 2014
SevenTee wrote:
Darwin was a hard core Racist and Sexist which is why Heathens, Atheists, KKK, Nazis, abortionists and slave owners latch on to the belief system:
"The chief distinction in the intellectual powers of the two sexes is shown by man's attaining to a higher eminence, in whatever he takes up, than can woman—whether requiring deep thought, reason, or imagination, or merely the use of the senses and hands. If two lists were made of the most eminent men and women in poetry, painting, sculpture, music (inclusive both of composition and performance), history, science, and philosophy, with half-a-dozen names under each subject, the two lists would not bear comparison. We may also infer, from the law of the deviation from averages, so well illustrated by Mr. Galton, in his work on 'Hereditary Genius,' that if men are capable of a decided pre-eminence over women in many subjects, the average of mental power in man must be above that of woman."
-Charles Darwin, The Descent of M
Virtually everyone in 1850 was what we would today call a "hard core racist and sexist".\

Here is Abraham Lincoln:

Fourth debate with Stephen A. Douglas at Charleston, Illinois on September 18, 1858 :

"I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the White and black races, that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurers of Negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, not to intermarry with White people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the White and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on equal terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the White race..."

That was written 2 years BEFORE Darwin published Origin of the Species, by the way.

Anyway, nobody in SCIENCE cares what the personal views Darwin or Newton or Einstein etc were. All that matters is whether the theory they offered stood up to empirical and logical scrutiny.

Level 6

Location hidden

#111215 Apr 14, 2014
SevenTee wrote:
<quoted text>
Please be honest, I have a question for you.
Do you think Black-African People had ancestors who were apes or monkeys?
We all did. And, just to be perfectly clear, we all did at the same time. The split into modern racial groups is recent and in evolutionary terms trivial, most of it resulting from the migration of humans out of Africa during only the last 70,000 years. The split of pre-human hominids from a common ape ancestor is understood to have occurred around 7,000,000 years ago - a hundred times longer, more or less.

So no, you do not get to use this loaded question to make innuendoes of racism against biologists.
PeeNutz

Ashburn, VA

#111216 Apr 14, 2014
no one can prove either, so this is a useless argument.

Since: Nov 07

St. James, NY

#111217 Apr 14, 2014
SevenTee wrote:
Adolph Hitler has written that the Aryan (German) race would be the leader in all human progress. To accomplish that goal, all “lower races” should either be enslaved or eliminated. The theory of evolution and its “survival of the fittest” philosophy had taken root in Hitler’s warped mind.
1. Books on Evolution were actually on the banned/burn list for the Nazis, so it is highly unlikely that Hitler was using Darwin as the basis for Aryan superiority while simultaneously having his books burned.

2. There is nothing in the Theory of Evolution that supports Aryan superiority, white supremacy or eugenics as philosophies.

3. The phrase Survival of the Fittest was an oversimplified way to explain Natural Selection. It never meant kill the lower races or anything remotely similar.

4. Evolution, like any scientific theory, does not promote political, philosophical or economic ideas. It is merely an explanation for what is seen in nature. Nothing more.

5. Even if the Nazis, through some kind of massive misunderstanding of the theory, used Evolution as support for their ideology, that has no bearing on whether or not the Theory of Evolution is accurate.

St. James, NY

#111218 Apr 14, 2014
Nick wrote:
<quoted text>
So why do so many scientists support it? Are they part of some massive conspiracy?

St. James, NY

#111219 Apr 14, 2014
PeeNutz wrote:
no one can prove either, so this is a useless argument.
No scientific theory is ever proven, so not sure what your point is.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 1 min wichita-rick 165,570
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 3 min Car 54 41,483
+=Keep 1 Drop 1=+ 3 STACK (Mar '13) 13 min Camilla 8,646
What Can Be Checked? 18 min Princess Hey 60
conversation using song lyrics (Aug '13) 21 min wichita-rick 1,786
Make A Sentance out of a 5 letter word. (Nov '09) 42 min andet1987 32,447
Word Association (Jun '10) 45 min wichita-rick 28,121
" Tell me a secret"...... (Oct '14) 48 min Princess Hey 361
Rebel vs American Flag 1 hr Bedford Gump 34
Poll What are you thinking right now? (May '08) 3 hr Sublime1 1,149