Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 205426 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

Nick

Canada

#111094 Apr 11, 2014
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Only if you take the Bible literally all the way through.
But then, you DON'T. Do you? Because you don't believe the Earth is flat.
I'm just saying that if the Earth is not flat then the Bible's a lie so you can't believe in both.
The bible doesn't say the earth is flat
Nick

Canada

#111095 Apr 11, 2014
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
No, facts do not matter to the Bible.
Is the Earth old? Then Goddidit. Is it young? Then Goddidit. Is it young but made to LOOK old? Then Goddidit.
Notice how facts have no bearing on Goddidit.
Goddidit no matter what.
Therefore no facts can back up the Bible.
Ever.
Thats not true every answer isnt "God did it" but i believe god put us here and that he created everything

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#111096 Apr 11, 2014
Nick wrote:
<quoted text>
Thats not true every answer isnt "God did it" but i believe god put us here and that he created everything
You've said that already. Don't believe everything you "Believe".

“Wrath”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Is revenant

#111097 Apr 11, 2014
Nick wrote:
<quoted text>
What evidence do you have there even is a god?
god

Fort Plain, NY

#111098 Apr 11, 2014
if the bible is real and did happen so did harry potter

“Up with which, I will not put”

Since: Jul 08

Sao Paulo

#111099 Apr 11, 2014
y a w n.
Nick

Canada

#111100 Apr 11, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
What evidence do you have there even is a god?
The bible, the complexity of the world around us, miracles, things in the bible that have all been proven

“Wrath”

Level 8

Is revenant

#111101 Apr 11, 2014
Nick wrote:
<quoted text>
The bible, the complexity of the world around us, miracles, things in the bible that have all been proven
"things in the bible that have all been proven"

WHAT things">?

"complexity of the world around us"
You cant be serious.

" miracles"

WHAT miracles?
Nick

Canada

#111102 Apr 11, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
"things in the bible that have all been proven"
WHAT things">?
"complexity of the world around us"
You cant be serious.
" miracles"
WHAT miracles?
Countless things in the bible are backed up by historical evidence, some things are far to complex to have gradually just evolved over millions of years, and look at things that you thought never could happen but they did or a time when something amazing or next to impossible happened

“Help religion science wander”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

into the night.

#111103 Apr 11, 2014
Nick wrote:
<quoted text>
Countless things in the bible are backed up by historical evidence, some things are far to complex to have gradually just evolved over millions of years, and look at things that you thought never could happen but they did or a time when something amazing or next to impossible happened
Nick the evidence is very clear that things have evolved. There is no evidence to show that complex living simply sprang into existence as they are.

There aren't countless things in the Bible. Then it would have no ending.

“Wrath”

Level 8

Is revenant

#111104 Apr 11, 2014
Nick wrote:
<quoted text>
WHAT THINGS?

“I am an ALIEN!!!”

Level 6

Since: Dec 06

KREUZBERG...

#111105 Apr 11, 2014
Palm Trees...

Islands, Islanders let you be Free!!!
You may have to work the field some...Talk about Paradise...

“I am an ALIEN!!!”

Level 6

KREUZBERG...

#111106 Apr 11, 2014
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>Nick the evidence is very clear that things have evolved. There is no evidence to show that complex living simply sprang into existence as they are.
There aren't countless things in the Bible. Then it would have no ending.
It doesn't have one...

Science won't allow it...and Politics or your so * on * Economics don't even exists...

All one can Hope for or believe that GOD isn't a Pervert...

He built up many...

Dang Palm Trees, Palm Trees, Palm Trees....

“I am an ALIEN!!!”

Level 6

KREUZBERG...

#111107 Apr 11, 2014
Isn't a one...That it is not a perversion eager to see more...

Science will keep Religion for an amount of can you imagine the MASS???

I think old people F'ing their pets sells these days....

Level 9

into the night.

#111108 Apr 11, 2014
Tinka wrote:
<quoted text>
It doesn't have one...
Science won't allow it...and Politics or your so * on * Economics don't even exists...
All one can Hope for or believe that GOD isn't a Pervert...
He built up many...
Dang Palm Trees, Palm Trees, Palm Trees....
Well the physical book I mean.

Level 9

into the night.

#111109 Apr 11, 2014
Tinka wrote:
<quoted text>
What is their Service like? You don't have to talk about it if you don't want to ...
Talking about Church can get me down and I never feel like it is shedding much light for me at all...as far as it's teachings...
The vast attendances though that churches receive must mean they are all looking for something or someone?
Mere support maybe potlucks and all included...
Survival menu as well ???
The service would probably be fairly familiar to you. There isn't much in the way of a lot of spontaneous "Amens", "Hallelujahs" or that sort of crying out. No fire and brimstone proclamations that we are all going to hell. No speaking in tongues or thrashing of bodies. It is more cerebral and not so much emotive. The sermons are based on scripture, but are related to the real world. Interpretation of the Bible is what I would call selectively literal. I tend to ignore what drifts into areas outside my personal beliefs, but they are often enough to drive me off. I don't make any pretense about my views on science.

“I am an ALIEN!!!”

Level 6

KREUZBERG...

#111110 Apr 11, 2014
So That Hunter seems familiar seen that type OH law and ORDER I think it was that one guy playing the detective too bad he died in 05 but it sounds like he had a strong view on some things... also, did you know that Mr. Brad Pitt went as well to College and actually established himself with a degree in it...
Journalism that is...

Pigs Swine and what in the 80's I know I had some intro then but somehow some of it just forgotten and to no need to re living a thing...

Pig Control and if there isn't one OH WELL....

We- FARE oh what about MAIDEN????

That would something of a newly put Kitchen AID....made?

Oh yeah what a great accent to the Stove...

“I am an ALIEN!!!”

Level 6

KREUZBERG...

#111111 Apr 11, 2014
Dang would be fun sometimes to talk rather than having to sit and just read because to have the patience for it and seems effortless not...AAfortless...

Hope mine are covered well inside a home...How bout yours your like....are they all cuddely taken care of?>--- Through whom?

The Biblical ...Sereis how it can take you places...

Evolvements....is what Evolving really is about isn't it?

I mean to mean something....

“I am an ALIEN!!!”

Level 6

KREUZBERG...

#111112 Apr 11, 2014
So again as to numbers Biblical and Theory Therapy or dams that friggin' television...
Nothing but a friggin' interruption well to some...

Religion and who what it serves? Other I mean than placing shit RIGHT,...

What happened to that TEVO box?

Since: Nov 07

St. James, NY

#111117 Apr 12, 2014
Nick wrote:
<quoted text>
But the while of the bible isnt allegorical countless event in it have been backed up by fact
I didn't say the whole thing was allegorical. Yes, there were historical places and people mentioned in the Bible. But if a particular story portrays a message that is an important element of Christianity, isn't the message the important part? Aesop's Fables most likely didn't happen exactly as written, does that mean we ignore any life lessons they provide? Of course not.

If science discovers things that contradicts a particular, literal interpretation of the Bible you can choose to renounce your faith (but in that case how strong was it in the first place?) or you can choose to reconcile your faith with the reality that science provides. Plenty of Christians are able to do that. They believe in God, the divinity of Christ, they are good people, etc. They believe in the Truths in the Bible without requiring every single word to be a literal retelling of things how they happened. So who are we to tell them they are not really Christians when they are doing all the things Christians should do?

What you can't choose to do is reject science (especially not on a computer, that is just silly), or to consider science evil or trying to deceive us or that evolution is some kind of conspiracy because it really isn't. Evolution is not trying to shake your faith.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Last Post Wins! (Aug '08) 2 min Emerald 146,570
Answer a question with a question (Apr '15) 9 min Emerald 2,989
There goes the neighborhood! (May '13) 10 min Hatti_Hollerand 10,939
JUST SAY SOMETHING. Whatever comes to mind!! (Aug '09) 11 min Northbound 33,344
2words into 2new words (May '12) 19 min Just Bev 3,911
News Revealed: The top UK companies for work-life ba... 33 min 8541 MARINE 2
Crystal_Clears Kitchen (Refurbished) (Jan '16) 35 min Northbound 8,868
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 1 hr Northbound 197,802
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 3 hr Northbound 59,982
More from around the web