Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 221490 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#110843 Apr 8, 2014
Nick wrote:
God didn't give them the exact shape of the earth this wasn't ver important to our religion and every back then believed the earth was flat not just the creationists
Doesn't matter. It just goes to show that the Bible was wrong, and therefore NOT a very reliable historical or science text. And that wasn't the only thing it was wrong about:

Adam and Eve - WRONG.

Talking lizards - WRONG.

Talking donkeys - WRONG.

Global Flood - WRONG.
Nick wrote:
And just wondering you guys keep saying the bible says the earth was flat, where does it say this, because every where I've read ive never seen that
Then obviously you have not read the Bible. As when you look at all the texts describing the shape, position and the motions of the Earth in the universe, the Bible quite clearly calls it a flat square circle at the center of the entire universe which all revolves around planet Earth.

Which is wrong.

https://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/febible.htm
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#110844 Apr 8, 2014
SevenTee wrote:
I am quite conscious that my speculations run quite beyond the bounds of true science...(from a letter by Charles Darwin to Asa Gray, Harvard biology professor, cited in Charles Darwin and the Problem of Creation, N.C. Gillespie, p.2)
Darwin freely admits it is basically make believe
Except he didn't, did he?

Notice how Kong exposed your lies because you are unable to deal with the *actual* subject in an honest manner.

No, what Darwin ACTUALLY did, being the good scientist that he was, was admit that AT THE TIME he did not have all the evidence he needed to back up his theory. Today however the situation is MUCH different.

And it is BECAUSE of the evidence that evolution is the best, and in fact the ONLY scientific theory that explains biodiversity today.

And it is for this reason you AVOID dealing with refutations, and avoid providing a better alternative that does a better job of explaining the evidence.

“I am an ALIEN!!!”

Level 6

Since: Dec 06

KREUZBERG...

#110845 Apr 8, 2014
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Doesn't matter. It just goes to show that the Bible was wrong, and therefore NOT a very reliable historical or science text. And that wasn't the only thing it was wrong about:
Adam and Eve - WRONG.
Talking lizards - WRONG.
Talking donkeys - WRONG.
Global Flood - WRONG.
<quoted text>
Then obviously you have not read the Bible. As when you look at all the texts describing the shape, position and the motions of the Earth in the universe, the Bible quite clearly calls it a flat square circle at the center of the entire universe which all revolves around planet Earth.
Which is wrong.
The Earth once was Flat!!!!

And to have had a Flood sitting in some crater awaiting a rise what is so hard to believe about that?

If he was building a ship at the shore line they already would have seen trees then wouldn't they have?
I mean they didn't come to rise to sight after what was the travel?

Birds when they saw birds and trees...Hello how high above the surface of all of Earth was the water supposed to have risen to?

And then sunk during their journey?

“I am an ALIEN!!!”

Level 6

KREUZBERG...

#110846 Apr 8, 2014
How did he get the wood and hello where did they gather all the animals from ..The LA ZOO????

“Up with which, I will not put”

Since: Jul 08

Sao Paulo

#110847 Apr 8, 2014
Tinka wrote:
How did he get the wood and hello where did they gather all the animals from ..The LA ZOO????
No, pretty unlikely. Noah was from Mesopotamia, so it was much more likely to have been the Baghdad zoo.
Willis

Canada

#110848 Apr 8, 2014
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Your beliefs are irrelevant.
Especially since your own god isn't moral at all.
Why do you believe that
Nicj

Canada

#110849 Apr 8, 2014
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Adam and Eve - WRONG.
Talking lizards - WRONG.
Talking donkeys - WRONG.
Global Flood - WRONG.
<quoted text>
Which is wrong.
That obviously doesnt mean the earth is flat and you havent disproved the other things

“I am an ALIEN!!!”

Level 6

KREUZBERG...

#110850 Apr 8, 2014
JM_Brazil wrote:
<quoted text>
No, pretty unlikely. Noah was from Mesopotamia, so it was much more likely to have been the Baghdad zoo.
Oh ok my mistake yeah makes sense...Thanks for clarifying... LOL

Well now we know...That is probably what they called Zoos after the trip...for it must have been that inside..,
Nick

Canada

#110851 Apr 8, 2014
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Um, sorry Nicky, but you're lying. You don't have anywhere NEAR enough sense to understand. And you CERTAINLY haven't had the education.
If you had it would be YOUR face on Time magazine, as the one single guy on the face of the planet to have been able to refute evolution.
No one else has.(shrug)
No ones listened to some of the christian scientists and at least i have my beliefs and can clearly see that the right despite my age

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#110852 Apr 8, 2014
Nick wrote:
<quoted text>
No ones listened to some of the christian scientists and at least i have my beliefs and can clearly see that the right despite my age
Adam and Eve
Talking snakes
Talking donkeys
Global flood
Flat Earth
Fish submarines
Etc.
Etc.
Well, sure. "...at least you have (your) beliefs...." "Least" is the appropriate term, though I'm not sure why you're bragging about it..
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#110853 Apr 8, 2014
Tinka wrote:
<quoted text>
The Earth once was Flat!!!!
And to have had a Flood sitting in some crater awaiting a rise what is so hard to believe about that?
If he was building a ship at the shore line they already would have seen trees then wouldn't they have?
I mean they didn't come to rise to sight after what was the travel?
Birds when they saw birds and trees...Hello how high above the surface of all of Earth was the water supposed to have risen to?
And then sunk during their journey?
Well, Noah and co apparently had to wait for the waters to recede, at which point they were deposited on or around the mountains of Ararat. So the water had to reach a height of 5135 meters, or about 17,000 feet.

Apart from there being no mechanism or evidence of any of this, the Bible DOES give quite a bit of information about how much water fell from the sky and for how long.

To cut a long story short, the movement of that much mass would fry the Earth to a cinder. To avoid that problem some creationists claim that the water didn't have to reach that high as all the mountains were made DURING the flood. In which case the movement of that much mass would STILL fry the Earth to a cinder.

So if the Biblical flood happened, we wouldn't be here to talk about it. That's why it's a little tough to believe in the story.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#110854 Apr 8, 2014
Willis wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you believe that
Because I've read the Bible.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#110855 Apr 8, 2014
Nicj wrote:
<quoted text>
That obviously doesnt mean the earth is flat and you havent disproved the other things
You're right. Just because the Bible SAYS the Earth is a flat square circle at the center of the universe which all revolves around the Earth (which is wrong) doesn't mean that the Bible's correct. Because we KNOW the Earth isn't a flat square circle at the center of the universe which all revolves around the Earth.

And yes, the rest have been falsified too. Talking lizards and donkeys do not exist. The Adam and Eve scenario is not genetically viable, unless there was already a whole bunch of other people they could procreate with (you'd need a minimum population of about 50). And the global flood story would literally turn the planet into a smouldering ruin, from which even Noah could not survive. And that's just ONE of the many problems of the Noah story.

No problem for Godmagic though. But then that just means the Bible claims are not scientific, because no-one can demonstrate supernatural claims.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#110856 Apr 8, 2014
Nick wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually we HAVE listened to the Christian scientists too. I can list a bunch if you want. Ken Miller? Christian. He knows evolution is a fact. He's a biologist. Francis Collins, also an evolutionary biologist. He was once head of the Genome Sequencing Project, so he certainly knows evolution is a fact.

Their beliefs differ slightly from yours though, since though they believe in God, they accept evolution, and just think that God was ultimately responsible for it. Unlike your average creationist, they don't feel the need to reject reality for the sake of their faith.**Fundamentalist** Christians on the other hand (generally referred to as creationists) like to call themselves "Biblical literalists", and claim reality isn't real because God did it differently.

Either creationists are wrong, or God is a liar.

I'm open to both possibilities.

“ad victoriam”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#110857 Apr 8, 2014
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, Noah and co apparently had to wait for the waters to recede, at which point they were deposited on or around the mountains of Ararat. So the water had to reach a height of 5135 meters, or about 17,000 feet.
Apart from there being no mechanism or evidence of any of this, the Bible DOES give quite a bit of information about how much water fell from the sky and for how long.
To cut a long story short, the movement of that much mass would fry the Earth to a cinder. To avoid that problem some creationists claim that the water didn't have to reach that high as all the mountains were made DURING the flood. In which case the movement of that much mass would STILL fry the Earth to a cinder.
So if the Biblical flood happened, we wouldn't be here to talk about it. That's why it's a little tough to believe in the story.
The water would have to exceeded 29,000 ft above sea level, as the story says all the highest mountains were under water.
"
The waters rose and increased greatly on the earth, and the ark floated on the surface of the water. 19 They rose greatly on the earth, and all the high mountains under the entire heavens were covered."

Complete BS!
Nick

Canada

#110858 Apr 8, 2014
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually we HAVE listened to the Christian scientists too. I can list a bunch if you want. Ken Miller? Christian. He knows evolution is a fact. He's a biologist. Francis Collins, also an evolutionary biologist. He was once head of the Genome Sequencing Project, so he certainly knows evolution is a fact.
Their beliefs differ slightly from yours though, since though they believe in God, they accept evolution, and just think that God was ultimately responsible for it. Unlike your average creationist, they don't feel the need to reject reality for the sake of their faith.**Fundamentalist** Christians on the other hand (generally referred to as creationists) like to call themselves "Biblical literalists", and claim reality isn't real because God did it differently.
Either creationists are wrong, or God is a liar.
I'm open to both possibilities.
Well if he believes that then he's definitely not a christian and you only gave two choices at the end what if your wrong
Nick

Canada

#110859 Apr 8, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Adam and Eve
Talking snakes
Talking donkeys
Global flood
Flat Earth
Fish submarines
Etc.
Etc.
Well, sure. "...at least you have (your) beliefs...." "Least" is the appropriate term, though I'm not sure why you're bragging about it..
Why di you guys feel like you have to be such jerks you do know theres this thing called freedom of religion
Willis

Canada

#110860 Apr 8, 2014
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Because I've read the Bible.
Well obviously not thoroughly if you believe it said/ meant that

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#110861 Apr 8, 2014
Nick wrote:
<quoted text>Why di you guys feel like you have to be such jerks you do know theres this thing called freedom of religion
...as well as 'Freedom FROM Religion'. Especially in a SCIENCE FORM, doofus.

“I am an ALIEN!!!”

Level 6

KREUZBERG...

#110862 Apr 8, 2014
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Ne but someone that used to live down the road around the corner or down the way somewhere they are barking and fighting like cats because they have cloned themselves into animal...OK yeah I believe that...
Does that make any sense?

Can't even read the rest at the moment just glancing through is all...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
I screamed like a ....... 1 min greymouser 4
The website match.com is a rip off for men! 3 min Prince John 1
News Jury questions posed during Bill Cosby's sex as... 8 min Just Sayin 20
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 9 min Princess Hey 218,926
WHAT???? A NEW word game? FOUR WORDS (Sep '08) 45 min Parden Pard 47,050
News O.J. Simpson up for parole nine years into sent... 48 min Parden Pard 55
6 letter word ...change one letter game (Oct '08) 52 min SweLL GirL 33,181
Denny Crain's Place (May '10) 1 hr Funny stuff 22,925
What Turns You Off? 1 hr RACY_MEAN_DISAGREE 638
News Toilet charity gets Indian village to take on T... 2 hr Lawrence Wolf 25