Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 201140 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

Level 2

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#110522 Mar 31, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps wa-ay back when all of its dialects were sequestered to the island, but not anymore.
True. But the landmark is still there. British, American, and Australian English are landmarks of the people of England.

Level 2

Location hidden

#110523 Mar 31, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps wa-ay back when all of its dialects were sequestered to the island, but not anymore.
True. But that island is not the entire Britain, it was only England. The Landmark of England in the world still stands to date.

Level 2

Location hidden

#110524 Mar 31, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Resting in the solidity of scientific evidence and theory, all that
explains all the above, but falls short of the explanation of everything
YOU can dream up.
However the explanatory power of science has brought humanity to this
day, without the need for your non explanatory power of belief and
superstition.
That is where science is getting it wrong. They are only moved by what they see( scientist. Not all).
OLD IRISH

Corbin, KY

#110525 Mar 31, 2014
The English language has it's origins in Old Irish or Middle Irish which is a Celtic langusge and Gaelic of Anglo-Saxon in Scotland with GERMANIC tribes.

“I started out with nothing”

Level 6

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#110526 Mar 31, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
I'd already stated " English is a mongrel, as I've pointed out before." Do you think that old English was intelligible to old German, old French or Latin? Your argument against English origins falls flat. It's like saying children are not "originated"/born as individuals because they share their parents' genes.
I don't care one way or another about the French/Gaulois, but you certainly do - and that was my point (or rather my baited hook.) In so many words, you appear just as infatuated with 'France owns French' as Chuck is with 'England owns English.'
Actually, yes old English was/is recognisable and understood by speakers of old Germanic and Norse languages. Experiments have been carried out between academics of ancient languages speaking that language.

Why do you consider that factual argument falls flat, you, like Charles, have offered nothing but opinion of you point of view. To Charles I have offered several academic articles and to you http://www.merriam-webster.com/help/faq/histo... . It seems that all are ignored in favour of personal opinion.

Poor metaphor, a language develops over time from multiple sources of origination, the history of the English language is testament to that. Children develop comparatively quickly and have two sources of origination.

Considering your claim that you don’t care you had a pretty good rant that belies that claim. Why because a considerable amount of the English language originated in France was your point (baited hook – lol). It is FACT, and no matter how you dislike the idea it is still FACT

Oh honey, where do you get your guesswork. Like Charlie you make guesses based on your own dreams. Where have I ever said anything about anyone owning any language, that claim is all Charlie’s. The French language, like the British language is an amalgamation of previous languages that has developed over time, mostly but not uniquely from Gaelic and Latin. This very fact is the reason why there are so many similarities between the languages.

BTW, I do mot believe I have never said. "French is the premier word in English". I have said “A French word is the premier word in the English language”. It helps if you get your facts straight then you are not accused of lying. As you claim a baited hook, mine actually was a baited hook and it seems that both you and Charles bit. If you don’t know the origins of the word “premier” then that is your own problem and makes a complete mockery of your whole post.

Level 6

#110527 Mar 31, 2014
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Documented facts? Lol
All languages do have that features. English do have roots in Latin and others, but does that makes English to be any of those languages? NO.
Yes documented facts beat wet dreams any day. It really does not matter how you mock, facts are facts
http://www.merriam-webster.com/help/faq/histo...
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Stop your racist comments about the English. Using the term, British to denote them alone, is wrong. You are a racist and a liar. You can never take away the language from them, that is why they called that solely, the world over.
You pillock. So interesting that the British government does not agree with you.
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> You are a liar. You keep using that term, Britain". English language have nothing to do with the Scots or Welsh, but the People of England.
Liar. That is a “smashing” comment to keep in your “trousers”, in fact something to tell your “dad” about

And if all that’s beyond you then you are lost in a quagmire of your own wet dreams.
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Ok, i go by your fallacy, English started in France. Are the French English?
What a load of deliberately ignorant bollocks, I do not say English started in France. I do say that the English language developed with the help of a great many French words, and German and Norse and Latin and Greek and Indian and Chinese and Spanish and Arabic and Persian and many more countries/languages too numerous to mention.

As to are the English French, genetics show a very high proportion of Norman DNA so you idiotic mockery has backfired on you, this is what happens when you display your ignorance. Don’t expect any sympathy from me.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#110528 Mar 31, 2014
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Can spirits be visibly seen?
God is a spirit. The universe and its elements proves the existence of this God.
By what "reasoning" do you deduce this conclusion? Because it supports the Bible or because the Bible supports it? Neither way is deduction, it is bias confirmation.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Earth

#110529 Mar 31, 2014
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> True. But the landmark is still there. British, American, and Australian English are landmarks of the people of England.
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text>
True. But that island is not the entire Britain, it was only England. The Landmark of England in the world still stands to date.
"But, but, but...."

And the angles came from Angeln and if you go to northern Germany, you'll find that land is still there, too.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Earth

#110530 Mar 31, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, yes old English was/is recognisable and understood by speakers of old Germanic and Norse languages. Experiments have been carried out between academics of ancient languages speaking that language.
Why do you consider that factual argument falls flat, you, like Charles, have offered nothing but opinion of you point of view. To Charles I have offered several academic articles and to you http://www.merriam-webster.com/help/faq/histo... . It seems that all are ignored in favour of personal opinion.
Poor metaphor, a language develops over time from multiple sources of origination, the history of the English language is testament to that. Children develop comparatively quickly and have two sources of origination.
Considering your claim that you don’t care you had a pretty good rant that belies that claim. Why because a considerable amount of the English language originated in France was your point (baited hook – lol). It is FACT, and no matter how you dislike the idea it is still FACT
Oh honey, where do you get your guesswork. Like Charlie you make guesses based on your own dreams. Where have I ever said anything about anyone owning any language, that claim is all Charlie’s. The French language, like the British language is an amalgamation of previous languages that has developed over time, mostly but not uniquely from Gaelic and Latin. This very fact is the reason why there are so many similarities between the languages.
BTW, I do mot believe I have never said. "French is the premier word in English". I have said “A French word is the premier word in the English language”. It helps if you get your facts straight then you are not accused of lying. As you claim a baited hook, mine actually was a baited hook and it seems that both you and Charles bit. If you don’t know the origins of the word “premier” then that is your own problem and makes a complete mockery of your whole post.
You love, love, loooove you some France so now I'm an opinionated liar? Is that how it works?
English roots lie in western Germany and the Scandinavian languages hail from northern Germany. French comes from neither. It is one of the Latin based romance languages, along with Portugese, Spanish and Italian.
I do not wish to expend the effort roll back through double digit months of posts to where you were claiming "French is the premier word in English", but it was repeated by you several times - at least until I told you to look up the etymology of "French" itself.
As for "premier"? from Latin "primarius," as I'd also pointed out before. It was "premier" in middle French, but that in no way makes it a "premier" word in English.(Unless you love, love, loooove you some France...)

Level 6

#110531 Mar 31, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
You love, love, loooove you some France so now I'm an opinionated liar? Is that how it works?
English roots lie in western Germany and the Scandinavian languages hail from northern Germany. French comes from neither. It is one of the Latin based romance languages, along with Portugese, Spanish and Italian.
I do not wish to expend the effort roll back through double digit months of posts to where you were claiming "French is the premier word in English", but it was repeated by you several times - at least until I told you to look up the etymology of "French" itself.
As for "premier"? from Latin "primarius," as I'd also pointed out before. It was "premier" in middle French, but that in no way makes it a "premier" word in English.(Unless you love, love, loooove you some France...)
I do like France but me liking France has nothing to do with the development of the English language and to make such a suggestion with such hateful mockery is really quite childish. Facts are facts and whether I like France or not is irrelevant.

I suggest you look at this Princeton uni page that claims :-
“Around 28% of English vocabulary is of French or Oïl language origin, most derived from, or transmitted by, the Anglo-Norman spoken by the upper classes in England for several hundred years after the Norman Conquest, before the language settled into what became Modern English.”
http://www.princeton.edu/~achaney/tmve/wiki10...

You can also have a look here :-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Frenc...
French is a Romance language (meaning that it is descended primarily from Vulgar Latin) that evolved out of the Gallo-Romance dialects spoken in northern France.
And here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallo-Romance

As I have said all along English roots lie in northern Europe. That of course makes no difference to the FACT that many words have developed from places other then Northern Europe.

You can roll back whatever you want, I have not said “French is the premier English word” but feel free to prove me wrong.

As you say it was a while ago but thinking bat I believe the wording was “the first word in the English language is premier”

Look up the meaning of the word premier. Actually I am pretty sure that when I originally wrote the statement and you queried it I asked you to look it up then. Perhaps you did, perhaps you didn’t

And if you find it difficult to understand, yes it’s a play on words – premier – first.

Premier – adjective - first in importance, order, or position; leading

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Earth

#110532 Mar 31, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
I do like France but me liking France has nothing to do with the development of the English language and to make such a suggestion with such hateful mockery is really quite childish. Facts are facts and whether I like France or not is irrelevant.
I suggest you look at this Princeton uni page that claims :-
“Around 28% of English vocabulary is of French or Oïl language origin, most derived from, or transmitted by, the Anglo-Norman spoken by the upper classes in England for several hundred years after the Norman Conquest, before the language settled into what became Modern English.”
http://www.princeton.edu/~achaney/tmve/wiki10...
You can also have a look here :-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Frenc...
French is a Romance language (meaning that it is descended primarily from Vulgar Latin) that evolved out of the Gallo-Romance dialects spoken in northern France.
And here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallo-Romance
As I have said all along English roots lie in northern Europe. That of course makes no difference to the FACT that many words have developed from places other then Northern Europe.
You can roll back whatever you want, I have not said “French is the premier English word” but feel free to prove me wrong.
As you say it was a while ago but thinking bat I believe the wording was “the first word in the English language is premier”
Look up the meaning of the word premier. Actually I am pretty sure that when I originally wrote the statement and you queried it I asked you to look it up then. Perhaps you did, perhaps you didn’t
And if you find it difficult to understand, yes it’s a play on words – premier – first.
Premier – adjective - first in importance, order, or position; leading
I understand the origins of the languages and it offers you no advantage that I'm perfectly capable of reviewing the research again. Don't get your panties in a wad.
The first word in the English language is "a." If you wish to play with words, fine. The first word in "the English language" is "the" or "first." "Premier" isn't relevant. It was at your urging that I did look it up - which is why at the time I thought you must have been from Quebec.
THE LONE WORKER

United States

#110533 Mar 31, 2014
OLD IRISH wrote:
The English language has it's origins in Old Irish or Middle Irish which is a Celtic langusge and Gaelic of Anglo-Saxon in Scotland with GERMANIC tribes.
The Irish were the fat fertile land people of old.
THE LONE WORKER

United States

#110534 Mar 31, 2014
1 Chronicles 4:40 And they found fat pasture and good, and the land was wide and quiet and peaceable, for they of Ham had dwelt there of old. The Irish must have descended from them, because they were called the fat good land people.

“Wrath”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Is revenant

#110535 Mar 31, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand the origins of the languages and it offers you no advantage that I'm perfectly capable of reviewing the research again. Don't get your panties in a wad.
The first word in the English language is "a." If you wish to play with words, fine. The first word in "the English language" is "the" or "first." "Premier" isn't relevant. It was at your urging that I did look it up - which is why at the time I thought you must have been from Quebec.
The first word in the English language is.....huh?
The second is......what?
The third is....I cant hear a dam thing you said. lol

Level 6

#110537 Apr 1, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Good, if you understand the origins of English language then how can you say that English language originated in England? Your opinion, like Charle’s opinion has no barring on the documented facts.

More mockery, jees you have it bad, I had no idea that you were such a misogynist moron. When I hear people like you vomiting sexist hatred it makes me wonder if you are only on topix because your wife has gone out to the bar to find herself a decent screw.

You may of course dismiss or deny this evidence out of hand, it makes no difference to the fact that ‘premier’ was relevant to the entire argument in that it is a word (of many) used in English that originated in France. And of course my quote and that you repeatedly misrepresent and for some reason you have not seen fit to provide. Until you do then your whole rant irrelevant?

FYI, the word premier is used in the English language and used to infer first. I.e. premier position – premier league (football (soccer))

Here let me try again

premier
adjective
first in importance, order, or position; leading.
synonyms: leading, foremost, chief, principal, head, top-ranking, top, top-tier, prime, primary, first, highest, second to none, pre-eminent, main, senior, outstanding, master;

Or how about google translate English -> French
premier -> first

What it has to do with Quebec is that Canada’s joint official language is a dialect of French but of course you understood that – right?

Last I heard, the first recorded word in the English language is said to be "keel", which was recorded by Gildas in the 6th century. He spelt the word as cyulae
THE LONE WORKER

United States

#110538 Apr 1, 2014
Hmmm wrote:
Creation created evolution!
It's a man made idea and nature does not work in the way evolutionists say it does. Nature works through systematic cycling by following instructions that are cyclical and not linear from simple to more complex. Patterns of former kinds, is what we have in living things on earth.

Level 6

#110539 Apr 1, 2014
THE LONE WORKER wrote:
<quoted text>It's a man made idea and nature does not work in the way evolutionists say it does. Nature works through systematic cycling by following instructions that are cyclical and not linear from simple to more complex. Patterns of former kinds, is what we have in living things on earth.
It is a man made ‘explanation’ for facts as they are ‘observed’ that is considerably different than a man made idea. Or do you think that day and night are man made ideas too? How about water running down hill?

Actually yes nature does work the way evolutionist say it does as has been observed. There is considerable evidence to back this up.

Tell me do you have any evidence that “Nature works through systematic cycling by following instructions that are cyclical”

Any will do – anything… waiting.

There is no evidence – absolutely none that shows goddunit with magic. There is no evidence to show that organisms (of any sort) lived on this ball of rock more then 3.6 billion years ago. There is no evidence that this ball of rock existed more than 4.6 billion years ago. Such evidence is a requirement for cyclic nature and it does not exists.

There is considerable evidence that no god is required, there is considerable evidence to show when and how this planet was formed and there is considerable evidence to show the timeline of life on this planet. You may of course ignore and/or poo-poo the evidence but that is entirely up to you, it will not make the evidence go away.

You see the difference between fact and faith is that fact is factual and faith is just what you want to believe

If you want to make statements like that I suggest you prefix with ‘I believe’. It still won’t make what you say any more accurate but it will stop you being brandied as a liar.
THE LONE WORKER

United States

#110540 Apr 1, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
It is a man made ‘explanation’ for facts as they are ‘observed’ that is considerably different than a man made idea. Or do you think that day and night are man made ideas too? How about water running down hill?
Actually yes nature does work the way evolutionist say it does as has been observed. There is considerable evidence to back this up.
Tell me do you have any evidence that “Nature works through systematic cycling by following instructions that are cyclical”
Any will do – anything… waiting.
There is no evidence – absolutely none that shows goddunit with magic. There is no evidence to show that organisms (of any sort) lived on this ball of rock more then 3.6 billion years ago. There is no evidence that this ball of rock existed more than 4.6 billion years ago. Such evidence is a requirement for cyclic nature and it does not exists.
There is considerable evidence that no god is required, there is considerable evidence to show when and how this planet was formed and there is considerable evidence to show the timeline of life on this planet. You may of course ignore and/or poo-poo the evidence but that is entirely up to you, it will not make the evidence go away.
You see the difference between fact and faith is that fact is factual and faith is just what you want to believe
If you want to make statements like that I suggest you prefix with ‘I believe’. It still won’t make what you say any more accurate but it will stop you being brandied as a liar.
The facts are that ALL life on earth changes through cycles. Even rocks, soils, water and air have changes that occur as the elements go through these cycles. In scientific terms these may be called biogeochemical cycles.

Level 6

#110541 Apr 1, 2014
THE LONE WORKER wrote:
<quoted text>The facts are that ALL life on earth changes through cycles. Even rocks, soils, water and air have changes that occur as the elements go through these cycles. In scientific terms these may be called biogeochemical cycles.
Please provide evidence for these “facts”

The facts are that in a closed system entropy is the only fact

Individual cycles exist to a small extent – day/night – summer/winter - ice age/interglacial period

However these are effectively local events have no baring on the eventual outcome

2nd law of thermodynamics, there is no arguing with it

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#110542 Apr 1, 2014
THE LONE WORKER wrote:
<quoted text>The facts are that ALL life on earth changes through cycles. Even rocks, soils, water and air have changes that occur as the elements go through these cycles. In scientific terms these may be called biogeochemical cycles.
There are many 'cycles' in nature.

There is NO evidence that a Supernatural agent was involved in 'arranging' them.

If you HAVE this evidence, please present it here. You would be the first ever in the history of the planet to do so.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 48 min wichita-rick 18,385
*add A word / drop a word* (Nov '12) 53 min KNIGHT DeVINE 13,447
Add a Word remove a Word (Oct '13) 54 min KNIGHT DeVINE 3,656
2words into 2new words (May '12) 58 min KNIGHT DeVINE 2,831
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 1 hr KNIGHT DeVINE 194,215
News Another 'man in tree' arrested in Seattle 1 hr wichita-rick 3
Last two letters into two new words... (Jun '15) 1 hr wichita-rick 3,463
News Trump's Newest Ad Is So Frickin' WeirdBy Olivia... 2 hr YouDidntBuildThat 26
What Turns You Off (Jun '11) 5 hr Knock off purse s... 7,798
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 5 hr Enzo49 58,057
Crystal_Clears Kitchen (Refurbished) (Jan '16) 7 hr Enzo49 8,479
More from around the web