Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 173990 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#110444 Mar 28, 2014
[QUOTE who="Tinka"
Coffee and some morning time and how nothing better to a would be is to sit on the pot with a smoke and a fresh cup...

[/QUOTE]

Don't smoke. It stains your teeth and makes the bathroom stink (worse).

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Earth

#110445 Mar 28, 2014
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Far from that. The evidence is clear. There is a God. The universe and all its elements are evidence to that. No living human knows his or end, but sure, that end must come, because some one knows that. It is very clear but impossible to understand.
The evidence of a god is "clear" because there is nothing to see.

“I started out with nothing”

Level 6

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#110446 Mar 28, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm always interested in the etymology of words. English is a mongrel, as I've pointed out before. That doesn't detract from the language as we know it developing in England. Olde and middle English was not born in Poland, Ceylon and Venezuela - or even Germany.
At risk of making it a little less palatable to >you<, it did not arise in Bourgogne, Paradie and Aquitaine, either.
There is a big difference between originating and developing. I have always said that English developed in Britain there can be no argument in that. The bone of contention of the word “originate” that both Charles and you have used.

Some old English was a carry over from the Roman influence. Some Greek, Some Persian. Some originated in northern Europe, Denmark and Germany. You may wish to deny this but there is a considerable amount of academic documentation to validate it.

Then we had the Norman conquest, French to a man and approximately 4000 words of common English usage are French words, same spelling, same meaning, perhaps different pronunciation, a further 40,000 are based on French words with slightly altered spelling, a legacy of Norman times.

Just because you consider the Aquitaine to be distasteful is no reason to consider you less palatable. I really could not care less what you think of France. The fact remains that a considerable vocabulary of the English language is of French origin and has developed into the English language. Because I spend some time in France is nothing to do with the history of the English language and I really think you should be ashamed of yourself for even suggesting it

In more modern times there is a considerable influence of Arabic, Indian, Chinese words etc

This tells most people that the English language did not originate in the UK but is a collection of words that originated elsewhere. Those words have been integrated into a continuously developing language.

And it really does not matter what dreams Charles has, those dreams will not change facts.

Here is a brief history of the English language you may find of interest.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/help/faq/histo...

If you want links to academic papers then please ask, I have already supplied Charles with some over the last couple of years, he seems to ignore them, but I see no problem in supplying you with the same.

True I am arguing over the meaning of a single word, however if Charles considers racism the way to get his way then I am going to stick by the “documented” facts. That’s the person I am.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Earth

#110447 Mar 28, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
There is a big difference between originating and developing. I have always said that English developed in Britain there can be no argument in that. The bone of contention of the word “originate” that both Charles and you have used.
Some old English was a carry over from the Roman influence. Some Greek, Some Persian. Some originated in northern Europe, Denmark and Germany. You may wish to deny this but there is a considerable amount of academic documentation to validate it.
Then we had the Norman conquest, French to a man and approximately 4000 words of common English usage are French words, same spelling, same meaning, perhaps different pronunciation, a further 40,000 are based on French words with slightly altered spelling, a legacy of Norman times.
Just because you consider the Aquitaine to be distasteful is no reason to consider you less palatable. I really could not care less what you think of France. The fact remains that a considerable vocabulary of the English language is of French origin and has developed into the English language. Because I spend some time in France is nothing to do with the history of the English language and I really think you should be ashamed of yourself for even suggesting it
In more modern times there is a considerable influence of Arabic, Indian, Chinese words etc
This tells most people that the English language did not originate in the UK but is a collection of words that originated elsewhere. Those words have been integrated into a continuously developing language.
And it really does not matter what dreams Charles has, those dreams will not change facts.
Here is a brief history of the English language you may find of interest.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/help/faq/histo...
If you want links to academic papers then please ask, I have already supplied Charles with some over the last couple of years, he seems to ignore them, but I see no problem in supplying you with the same.
True I am arguing over the meaning of a single word, however if Charles considers racism the way to get his way then I am going to stick by the “documented” facts. That’s the person I am.
I'd already stated " English is a mongrel, as I've pointed out before." Do you think that old English was intelligible to old German, old French or Latin? Your argument against English origins falls flat. It's like saying children are not "originated"/born as individuals because they share their parents' genes.
I don't care one way or another about the French/Gaulois, but you certainly do - and that was my point (or rather my baited hook.) In so many words, you appear just as infatuated with 'France owns French' as Chuck is with 'England owns English.'

Level 2

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#110448 Mar 28, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
If it makes you feel any better, I've ragged on her for "French is the premier word in English", too.
There isn't anything remotely amazing or insightful about 'Englishmen in England speak English.' You have been "owned" on that topic.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php...
Now, if you want to compare the evolution of language to the evolution of species or claim that English started when/because God scattered the tribes from the Tower of Babel it might be a little more relevant. If you take the latter, prepare to be owned again.
Thanks. But despite the various influences, English is still unique to England.

Level 2

Location hidden

#110449 Mar 28, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Pure rhetorical tautology , without a shred of evidence to back it up.
What you have is a belief...nothing more.
Likewise. Where is yours?

Level 2

Location hidden

#110450 Mar 28, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Pure rhetorical tautology , without a shred of evidence to back it up.
What you have is a belief...nothing more.
Likewise.

Level 2

Location hidden

#110451 Mar 28, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
The evidence of a god is "clear" because there is nothing to see.
Wrong. God is a spirit. Can you see spirits.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Earth

#110452 Mar 28, 2014
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Thanks. But despite the various influences, English is still unique to England.
Perhaps wa-ay back when all of its dialects were sequestered to the island, but not anymore.

“The Edge”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Of Tomorow

#110453 Mar 28, 2014
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Likewise. Where is yours?
Resting in the solidity of scientific evidence and theory, all that explains all the above, but falls short of the explanation of everything YOU can dream up.
However the explanatory power of science has brought humanity to this day, without the need for your non explanatory power of belief and superstition.

“The Edge”

Level 8

Of Tomorow

#110454 Mar 28, 2014
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Wrong. God is a spirit. Can you see spirits.
Your imaginary concepts lacks the explanatory power of scientific determination, an detail you theists seem to conveniently ignore. A simple detail ...that makes all things , in this world possible. As matter of fact your ideology goes to nowhere , while science has driven us to the stars and beyond.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#110455 Mar 28, 2014
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Wrong. God is a spirit. Can you see spirits.
If they're in a glass, then usually yes.

“I am an ALIEN!!!”

Level 6

Since: Dec 06

KREUZBERG...

#110456 Mar 28, 2014
DANGIT....where is that thread where the teacher spoke this morning ...Class at 5 in the morning....

DAMM...

“I am an ALIEN!!!”

Level 6

KREUZBERG...

#110457 Mar 28, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Your imaginary concepts lacks the explanatory power of scientific determination, an detail you theists seem to conveniently ignore. A simple detail ...that makes all things , in this world possible. As matter of fact your ideology goes to nowhere , while science has driven us to the stars and beyond.
O yeah so what does a SIr, MR or GOD SCIENCE LOOK LIKE?

It is due to moving Beings that have arms at least that to hand things to the next in line to put things matteralistics...together...

“I am an ALIEN!!!”

Level 6

KREUZBERG...

#110458 Mar 28, 2014
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>If they're in a glass, then usually yes.
Come on Blowing Glass Bubbles...

Or hmmmm Well in the new it would Pine Trees....little glass things...

“I am an ALIEN!!!”

Level 6

KREUZBERG...

#110459 Mar 28, 2014
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Lol
Like i said, you have nothing to offer. The capital of England and the entire UK is London, why in London, England, and not in any coastal cities of Scotland and Wales?
Waiting for an honest answer.
What about LIVERPOLE? I wonder if they speak with Aussie slang there?

“I am an ALIEN!!!”

Level 6

KREUZBERG...

#110460 Mar 28, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Your imaginary concepts lacks the explanatory power of scientific determination, an detail you theists seem to conveniently ignore. A simple detail ...that makes all things , in this world possible. As matter of fact your ideology goes to nowhere , while science has driven us to the stars and beyond.
And ok one more to outer than to so far passed OUT BEYOND a norm to understanding where would they be residing in ?

A castle IN A SKY?

Some tall Cliff...with all it's below disappearing ...

Damm

“I am an ALIEN!!!”

Level 6

KREUZBERG...

#110461 Mar 28, 2014
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>If they're in a glass, then usually yes.
You'd be in too...

Know a glass blower?

“I am an ALIEN!!!”

Level 6

KREUZBERG...

#110462 Mar 28, 2014
body's... periphery like wt freak....nerv and endings.....

Oh wait it sends to the brain and from there it gets spammed and then from there it can reach in deeper...

Where they can not land....

Nor would they find that place ever....

“The Edge”

Level 8

Of Tomorow

#110463 Mar 28, 2014
Tinka wrote:
<quoted text>
And ok one more to outer than to so far passed OUT BEYOND a norm to understanding where would they be residing in ?
A castle IN A SKY?
Some tall Cliff...with all it's below disappearing ...
Damm
Reality isn't always a cliff hanger.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 2 min wichita-rick 169,648
JUST SAY SOMETHING. Whatever comes to mind!! (Aug '09) 13 min gracefallen 29,770
LOVE and OTHER BRUISES (Apr '12) 15 min KNIGHT DeVINE 1,435
News Scientists Develop Non-Melting Ice Cream 17 min greymouser 19
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 21 min Cool 68 44,000
Interesting Quotes (Jun '11) 29 min KNIGHT DeVINE 14,833
name my cat 35 min greymouser 58
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 1 hr wichita-rick 13,408
More from around the web