Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 217095 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

Level 2

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#108777 Feb 6, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Or you are silly… for apologising for a misunderstanding? Why do you consider that to be troll like behaviour?
There is only one troll on here and that the guy with nothing who repeatedly vomits the same nothing again and again with no evidence to back him up with the sole intention of diverting attention from the real topic of the thread which you have already been soundly beaten on
That’s you.
Conclusively, the loser is you.

Level 2

Location hidden

#108778 Feb 6, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
You are loosing it again. Take your meds…
In your dreams. ENGLISH can never be taken from ENGLAND, thats why they are solely ENGLISH.

“"Eatin' Ain't Cheatin!"”

Level 1

Since: Sep 06

Thompson's Station, Tn

#108779 Feb 6, 2014
English has to be the most difficult language to learn. There are no rules. It's across of Latin, German, Celtic, and many more. The Latin languages pretty much follow tense structure and this makes it easy for a Portuguese person to understand someone speaking Italian or Spanish. The accents are also a problem. Send a person from Mississippi to Great Britain and see if they can communicate. I spoke Spanish in Spain but was lost when I moved to Mexico. Now it is more better...or mas mejor....,or mais melhor. Back to the original subject now?

Level 2

Location hidden

#108780 Feb 6, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Neither do I
Can I vote for an independent Lancashire???
The manifesto will run that want the pound and euro so we can pick and choose which is best on a particular day. All north sea oil, all the morcombe bay gas rigs and wind farms, I think we’ll claim the lakes too, I like it up there, oh yes and the best of the single malt distilleries in the northern isles…
And we can develop strong ties with the cognac and eau de noix producing areas of France
Trolling again.

Level 2

Location hidden

#108781 Feb 6, 2014
Discord wrote:
<quoted text>
Spend some time in either Brooklyn or Alabama and you might consider that a possibility.
American English sprang up from British English.

“When you treat people as they ”

Level 6

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#108782 Feb 6, 2014
Discord wrote:
<quoted text>
Spend some time in either Brooklyn or Alabama and you might consider that a possibility.
I see what you mean, dialect and accents cause problems. But I can understand the American accents better than many of the British accents. I spend quite a lot of time on the phone to people in America and I can usually tell, within a hundred miles or so where they were raised.

I live in Lancashire (West UK). Only 30 miles from Liverpool yet I am hard pressed to understand the Liverpool accent. Same apples if I across to the county to the east, Yorkshire, particularly when speaking to older people. In some parts of Scotland, Glasgow for example I need a translator.

Level 2

Location hidden

#108784 Feb 6, 2014
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Here is some latin for you:
Homo heidelburgensis
Homo erectus
Australopithecus sedibus
Australopithecus afarensis
Latin rules, as does evolution.
English is just pig German with some French baked on.
And yet "LATIN", and " German", except French, can not make the first five major world languages.

“e pluribus unum”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

primus inter pares

#108785 Feb 6, 2014
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Irony. You are the IDIOT. Britain is just a union between the Scots, welsh, and English. If they break up today, that term w6uld be history.
You forget something Mr. Genius , Britain is an Island. So even if your union dissolves there will still be British people.

Level 1

Thompson's Station, Tn

#108786 Feb 6, 2014
I learned Portuguese from Brasil. The people in Brasil speak with much respect , speak clearly, slow, and sing when they talk to you! When I moved to Portugal everyone sounded depressed and like they were drunk in their pronunciations. After a few beers I was fine.

Level 1

Thompson's Station, Tn

#108787 Feb 6, 2014
Let's get back to evolution / creation. I don't know the answers and I believe the others just have ideas floating around their head. In my few years on this Planet Earth, I have seen religions change their format to keep up with the times.
I implore you people to give me your thoughts on the truth!

Level 6

#108788 Feb 6, 2014
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> The truth always prevails, no matter what. That has always been my stand. British and American English, have connections, and it was started by the English and the English in America.
Did American English “originate” in England too?
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Wrong. Yes they are solely English. They spread their language through colonialism and conquest.
Wrong, the comments you posted are here for all to see. You comments have never included the ”spread of the English Language” only origination
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Clown, do some research about the American and Australian Histories. ENGLAND was the cultural founders of these countries.
Yes and the Roman empire, northern European countries and Normans were the cultural founders of England. You don’t seem to realise that time exists and time shoots you in the foot. That’s the very same foot that someone sticks in their mouth every time they write a comment.

Please advise why it’s ok for modern America and Australia to take culture/language from England but not OK to England to take language/culture from older cultures?
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> So, there is a link between British(the mother language), and that of their American and Australian counterparts. You lose again.
See above
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> So, whether Australian or American English, England and the offsprings from England, gave birth to the other forms of English known to you.
See above – the problem is here that you cannot draw a line and say England gave birth to this and that but everything that happened before a certain date did not happen. There is historical, architectural and cultural evidence that it did happen.
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Irony. You are the IDIOT. Britain is just a union between the Scots, welsh, and English. If they break up today, that term w6uld be history.
There you go again trying to discredit my nationality and my culture. Such a pity that the rest of the world does not agree with you eh?
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Wrong. No matter how you paint it, England and Scotland, can never be the same, despite the union.
Moron. And your thumb will never be a finger and your nose will never be an eyeball and egg and chips will never be sausage and mash – you point is what?
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> As long as you are born from a Scottish parents, you are Scottish by origin even though you were born in England.
I said ancestry, not parentage and besides that, a child generally takes on the nationality of the place it was born, I was born in Britain and hence all the official documentation that I hold that identifies my nationality shows me as British. Why do you have such difficulty with this basic concept? It really does not matter how hard you stamp you foot, I am British and your deliberate ignorance will never change that.
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> English is a language that was first spoken in England , by that, it originated in ENGLAND. Lol
English is a language that developed in England, various words and phrases originated elsewhere. You have been shown the academic documentation to show these so your inane ramblings are worthless.
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Like i said, you can not refute that statement.
Ahh true but you actually said it in reference to your stupidity and I would not even attempt to refute that.
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Whether control or not, English as a language was first spoken in England.
No.

Level 6

#108789 Feb 6, 2014
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Wikipedia is a good source. Almost every one here agreed, except on the issue of ownership.
Wikipedia is not a good source, it is open to manipulation and editing at will by anyone. And still you have not provided ANY “scholarly sources”– your words - Wikipedia is not a scholarly source so put up or shut up
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Every one knows that. The English or the people of England are the dominant group.
Nope, you just assume and you know what they say about people who assume? FYI, the US is far more dominant than the UK, I believe in terms of dominance the UK is somewhere around number 5 or 6 in world rankings.
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Why do we have Scotland, Wales and England as an independent countries?
Why not?
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> But England, Wales and Scotland, all has a national team instead of Britain, why?
Why not?
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> As long as it was never a language, you are WRONG. It Became a language first in England.
Became – developed – grew – evolved etc are not the same as originated. I thought I had explained this to you before.
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> WRONG. As long as it was never a language, your logic is silly.
So now you are saying that English was never a language? Go figure…
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> But those elsewhere must learn English, before they can understand it.
And Chinese and Hindi and particle physics and math and cookery and just about everything else, but you implied that babies are born with the ability to speak English.
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Until you stop that, i will not relent. Those places you claimed originated English, must learn it, before they can understand it.
Please feel free to look as stupid as you want.
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Conclusively, the loser is you.
So you are unable to give a lucid account.
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> In your dreams. ENGLISH can never be taken from ENGLAND, thats why they are solely ENGLISH.
Moron. I’m pretty sure that several countries shave taken English
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Trolling again.
You are… thanks for admitting it. That really must have taken some guts

Level 6

#108790 Feb 6, 2014
Mexican Hillbilly wrote:
Let's get back to evolution / creation. I don't know the answers and I believe the others just have ideas floating around their head. In my few years on this Planet Earth, I have seen religions change their format to keep up with the times.
I implore you people to give me your thoughts on the truth!
Unlike creation there is no real argument that evolution occurs, there are numerous varied and independent evidences.

Level 1

Thompson's Station, Tn

#108791 Feb 6, 2014
Well so much for Evolution / Creation!
I was outside having a café with my friend and a stranger. When the stranger went to the Loo....had to urinate.......take a leak,.... I told my friend that I could not understand the stranger's Portuguese. My friend said, "it is because he was speaking English....from South Africa!"

Level 2

Location hidden

#108792 Feb 6, 2014
wow wrote:
<quoted text>Do you think the tower of Babal account of the origin of all language is correct? Did Noah exist and did he speak the Caaninite language?
Yes. There is a sure truth in Noah's account. The east started that language issue.

Level 2

Location hidden

#108793 Feb 6, 2014
Mexican Hillbilly wrote:
English has to be the most difficult language to learn. There are no rules. It's across of Latin, German, Celtic, and many more. The Latin languages pretty much follow tense structure and this makes it easy for a Portuguese person to understand someone speaking Italian or Spanish. The accents are also a problem. Send a person from Mississippi to Great Britain and see if they can communicate. I spoke Spanish in Spain but was lost when I moved to Mexico. Now it is more better...or mas mejor....,or mais melhor. Back to the original subject now?
Thanks. But English as a language was first spoken in ENGLAND. Do you agree?

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#108794 Feb 6, 2014
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Here is some latin for you:
Homo heidelburgensis
Homo erectus
Australopithecus sedibus
Australopithecus afarensis
Latin rules, as does evolution.
English is just pig German with some French baked on.
Pig German. Funny. And a good point.

Level 2

Location hidden

#108795 Feb 6, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Did American English “originate” in England too?
<quoted text>
Wrong, the comments you posted are here for all to see. You comments have never included the ”spread of the English Language” only origination
<quoted text>
Yes and the Roman empire, northern European countries and Normans were the cultural founders of England. You don’t seem to realise that time exists and time shoots you in the foot. That’s the very same foot that someone sticks in their mouth every time they write a comment.
Please advise why it’s ok for modern America and Australia to take culture/language from England but not OK to England to take language/culture from older cultures?
<quoted text>
See above
<quoted text>
See above – the problem is here that you cannot draw a line and say England gave birth to this and that but everything that happened before a certain date did not happen. There is historical, architectural and cultural evidence that it did happen.
<quoted text>
There you go again trying to discredit my nationality and my culture. Such a pity that the rest of the world does not agree with you eh?
<quoted text>
Moron. And your thumb will never be a finger and your nose will never be an eyeball and egg and chips will never be sausage and mash – you point is what?
<quoted text>
I said ancestry, not parentage and besides that, a child generally takes on the nationality of the place it was born, I was born in Britain and hence all the official documentation that I hold that identifies my nationality shows me as British. Why do you have such difficulty with this basic concept? It really does not matter how hard you stamp you foot, I am British and your deliberate ignorance will never change that.
<quoted text>
English is a language that developed in England, various words and phrases originated elsewhere. You have been shown the academic documentation to show these so your inane ramblings are worthless.
<quoted text>
Ahh true but you actually said it in reference to your stupidity and I would not even attempt to refute that.
<quoted text>
No.
Rubbish. They are solely English and by that you lose. Cry.

“Up with which, I will not put”

Since: Jul 08

Sao Paulo

#108796 Feb 6, 2014
Mexican Hillbilly wrote:
I was outside having a café with my friend and a stranger. When the stranger went to the Loo....had to urinate.......take a leak,.... I told my friend that I could not understand the stranger's Portuguese. My friend said, "it is because he was speaking English....from South Africa!"
In my experiences I've found most South Africans to speak very clear English. They speak a dialect of Portuguese in Angola and Mozambique, although it's a bit difficult (for me) to understand. Perhaps that's the Portuguese you were hearing.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#108797 Feb 6, 2014
Mexican Hillbilly wrote:
His name wasn't Charles Idemi by any chance, was it?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What Turns You Off (Jun '11) 1 min Enzo49 10,669
News The stunning facial inkings of a little known t... 2 min beatlesinthebog 39
Gemstone Quiz 3 min Enzo49 5
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 5 min Foreign Approach 67,291
Start a sentence in alphabetical order.. 6 min ImFree2Choose 1,753
Let's play "follow the word" (Jun '08) 9 min Lelouch0 48,322
A six word game (Dec '08) 11 min ImFree2Choose 20,712
What turns you on ? (Aug '11) 29 min KNIGHT DeVINE 1,538
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 34 min help 207,313
More from around the web