Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 209795 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

““You must not lose faith ”

Level 5

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#108499 Jan 30, 2014
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Not really correct. The kingdoms were not formerly known as Uk or Britain, it was after the unity that they became known as that. The people of England were solely known as the English to date, even if they are united under the umbrella of Britain Or British.
Some romans would state picts and britons and more exotic names were used. 449 CE
It took till about 550 CE until the Angels, Saxons and Jute had some real foothold.

Using the name Brits would be going back to a former idea of unity, since that in fact never really happened. But this kind of souvereignity is a source of pride.

The lingo used now was as far as i know invented by BBC radio.

Level 5

Location hidden

#108500 Jan 30, 2014
JM_Brazil wrote:
<quoted text>
Seriously Discord, it's a circular argument. You waste 2 months arguing with him just to end up back on square 1, and then someone else steps in and goes through the whole cycle again...
And again...
And so on.
It's becoming pretty obvious that he's just trolling the same bait, trying to get new bites. We've all bitten, several times. Troll me once...
Just consider it a demonstration of SCIPID.

But as a matter of fact the english have to speak and own english otherwise the creator can not own creation.(yep??)
Occasionally he looses site of the Original argument.

Level 5

Location hidden

#108501 Jan 30, 2014
And britons are actually Celts.
http://mockingbird.creighton.edu/english/faja...

The romans were actually not that interested in keeping taps on properly tracing the population to their origin.

They managed to loose the Picts.

Level 5

Location hidden

#108502 Jan 30, 2014
~885 CE &#9702;West Saxon dialect became literary standard of Old English literature; oral tradition

your dead:
&#9702;Norman invasion;William the Conqueror, Battle of Hastings 1066, end of Anglo-Saxon Period

And became dutch!

Level 5

Location hidden

#108503 Jan 30, 2014
Nobody was an Island, all evolved.

English since then has been absorbing vocabulary from a huge number of sources. French, the language of diplomacy for Europe for centuries, Latin, the language of the church, and Greek, the language of philosophy and science, contributed many words, especially the more "educated" ones. Other European languages have left culturally specific words. The American Indian languages, Australian Aborigine languages, and the languages of Africa and India gave us many hundreds of words, especially for the innumerable species of plants and animals of the world. On top of all this, there is the steady creation of new words and new uses for old words by the many subcultures of the English speaking world.

Best get the dictionary on loans and foreign origin words and stringently restrict their use!

http://webspace.ship.edu/cgboer/evolenglish.h... .

Level 2

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#108504 Jan 30, 2014
Discord wrote:
<quoted text>
Do we agree that there was, at some point in the past, no life on Earth? Regardless of your religious beliefs or scientific knowledge everything points to a point where there was no life on Earth. Then life appeared. Now if you dispute the claim that natural chemical agents combined to eventually create life, fair enough, but something happened. And that something would be some kind of observable and measurable (had someone been there to observe and measure it) process. Do we at least agree on that?
Agreed.

Level 2

Location hidden

#108505 Jan 30, 2014
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
But while we're here and we've already pointed out why you're wrong here (again), we may as well take care of the rest of your post
<quoted text>
But how can life produce life when there was no life prior to 4 billion years ago?
<quoted text>
And the theory of evolution doesn't have to worry about the origin of life.
<quoted text>
But all life IS is just chemistry. If you have evidence that it is anything MORE than what is scientifically observed to be chemistry then YOU have to demonstrate that. Otherwise if chemistry can create life today (it can) then there's no reason why it couldn't back then. Of course it's always POSSIBLE that abiogenesis required intervention from an alien or magic Jew, but so far there's zero evidence they're necessary, or even exist. Plus since the universe IS finite, eventually you have no choice BUT to accept that - at some point - life came from non-life.
If you have evidence to the contrary, by all means, present it.
By the way, have you figured out yet how to measure the difference in complexity between a paper plane and a space shuttle?
I accept the fact life had a beginning, what I and any reasoning sentient being cannot accept is that dead lifeless matter self assembled into an organized fashion and sprang to life

If you do please, using the scientific method show the observable ,repeatable , and testable experiment that proves it, or you can just keep on squawking.

Level 2

Location hidden

#108506 Jan 30, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Bohart thinks there's a skydaddy in charge of creating things.
Aura thinks there's a life giving puddle of goo

“Ask Randy From Ballwin”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

He Is A Sock Know It All

#108507 Jan 30, 2014
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
I accept the fact life had a beginning, what I and any reasoning sentient being cannot accept is that dead lifeless matter self assembled into an organized fashion and sprang to life
If you do please, using the scientific method show the observable ,repeatable , and testable experiment that proves it, or you can just keep on squawking.
Oh hell bohart. there is no God or if there is he is not a loving and caring god. I have figured that out in the last 6 months. It is pointless to pray for they are never answered even when you pray for others not wanting anything for yourself. I have had enough. it's been interesting talking to you all but I am done. Nothing left for me to say anymore.

“Ask Randy From Ballwin”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

He Is A Sock Know It All

#108509 Jan 30, 2014
EXPERT wrote:
<quoted text>
Coward
BS!!! I have learned from experience in the last 4 years, especially in the last 6-8 months that if there is a god he doesn't care. Waiting on god to help is nothing but a dead end and you will die before it happens. I have seen so many people suffer and prayed my @ss off to no avail. I would rather burn in hell when I am dead than watch people suffer when I am alive. There is no point to the suffering if your almighty god you claim can step in and change it. I see no point in the craziness of praying to someone that does not answer. Either he is there and does not listen or he just doesn't give a f#cking rats @ss!!! Sub, Chimney, Poly, Dogen, UC, and even the crazy little Dude,,, it has been fun and I have learnt a little from you all. Danfromsmithville I believe I learnt the most from you in that don't let the little shyt on the internet get to you so bad which I did at first but later learned to let it go. Wishing all the best because praying sure does not get any damn results.

Level 2

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#108511 Jan 31, 2014
Big Time wrote:
<quoted text>
Have You stopped Beating your Children,...?
Spare the rod, spoil the child. Children needs that some times for corrections. OK? Now answer the question posted to you.

Level 2

Location hidden

#108512 Jan 31, 2014
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Gibberish.
Grow up, Mr. Gibberish.

Level 2

Location hidden

#108513 Jan 31, 2014
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
I dont' have evidence because I didn't make a positive claim. You don't have evidence either, even though you ARE making the positive claim. Therefore YOU have the problem, not me.
I know you didn't even understand what I just said, but it's here for posterity anyway.
A simple answer to your response, No one knows, but th4s universe did not came up by accident.

Since: Nov 07

St. James, NY

#108514 Jan 31, 2014
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed.
OK. So if we start with the idea that there was a point where there was no life on Earth and now there is life, scientists are naturally curious about how that changed. All the Earth had to work with was inanimate matter. There was organic matter, proteins and lipids and such (I am not a biologist so forgive me if my language is less than precise), but nothing that would be considered alive.

Now we know chemistry is an essential element to life. Chemistry is responsible for metabolism, digestion, breathing, etc. Chemical interactions are at the core of all living processes.

So if you take a lifeless planet abundant in chemicals and organic matter (or pre-organic if that is a more accurate term) it is really that much of an unrealistic notion that a chemical process is responsible for getting the ball moving. Maybe it is incredibly rare, but it only needed to happen once.

The point is, we are curious to know what happened. Maybe it was chemical organization, maybe it was something else. The research continues. But it seems to me that some people are dead set against any scientific investigation into the matter, that any scientific explanation for life will be considered unacceptable. It is an important question that deserves attention and study, and hopefully an eventual answer.

Level 2

Location hidden

#108515 Jan 31, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
This has been going on for several months and it seems that Chuckles is not one for the book earning because it imbalances the lumps he has from being hit across the head with a babble just a few too many times.
He has been shown copious amounts of evidence, which he steadfastly ignores.
This British is English stance is quite new though. Despite the fact that the British government is known not as the English government but the British government.
But hey, the great god Charles has spoken and the great god Charles is not one to change his mind.
Why then do we have Scottish, Welsh, English and Irish in that UK?
Because all of them speaks a different language.

Level 2

Location hidden

#108516 Jan 31, 2014
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
As if you have even the slightest idea of what was bring discussed.
Do you really see with your eyes!

Level 2

Location hidden

#108517 Jan 31, 2014
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope.
Every one knows that, The people of England are solely called the English.

Level 2

Location hidden

#108519 Jan 31, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Jeezoos fooking christ on a crutch Chaz – WTF is wrong with you?
Tell me are you British?
Well I am and I live here in England and I am not ‘solely’ English, I am British as it says on my officially transcribe by the British government birth certificate, NI, driving licence and passport
So stop trying to diminish my nationality with your pig ignorant silly bugger stupidity.
You are making enemies of British people simply because you have a frigging moronic idea based on ignorance, it’s pathetic and does nothing other than highlight your stupidity
If you don't know, " all British are not English ". This is a fact.

Level 2

Location hidden

#108520 Jan 31, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope. Godbots have their opinion on that.
Just about every one else does not have any such an opinion, they actually know the facts as shown by many separate and independent lines of evidence.
You see this is the difference between opinion and fact
Please provide any (ANY) evidence for you claimed creative power. And by evidence I mean real evidence than can be falsified as opposed to the great god Charles Idemi saying so
Likewise. Your opinion as well.

Level 2

Location hidden

#108521 Jan 31, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Nickers
Try telling a guy from North Vietnam to follow the rules as laid down by the US, after they had stopped laughing the chances are they would simply shoot you.
For that matter try telling someone from the UK or Mexico or Canada.
You seem to have a very distorted opinion of the influence your country has on the rest of the world.
But even though, politically they hated the US, they all recognised that fact that, it started in the US?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
2words into 2new words (May '12) 2 min xxxooxxx 5,108
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 2 min Sharlene45 200,926
News Clinton's name spelled wrong on Hofstra Univers... 3 min 8541 MARINE 63
News Lego, phones - children flush the funniest things 6 min Spotted Girl 8
News Priests and nuns hold bizarre ceremony to 'puri... 9 min Spotted Girl 31
***Keep a Word~Drop a Word*** (Jan '10) 14 min xxxooxxx 82,693
+=Keep 1 Drop 1=+ 3 STACK (Mar '13) 26 min Princess Hey 10,657
Philly grey poster hangout 1 hr CrunchyRaptor 55
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 2 hr Top Picks HQs 61,529
More from around the web