Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 171619 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#108014 Jan 17, 2014
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you people lie all the time about life?....all the time life is made! by already existing life! that's reproduction!
Except that the Earth, and the universe, are finite. Therefore if we look at the evidence, life cannot go infinitely into the past. Ergo there must have been a point when life started. This has been observed in the geological record around 3.5 billion years ago.
bohart wrote:
That life is mere chemistry was debunked decades ago, it's a 19th century idea blown apart by electron microscopes showing life wasn't simple globs waiting to be manufactured.
Except you're wrong. Life IS pure chemistry through and through. However there is NOTHING in chemistry which claims things are just "simple blobs". In fact chemistry is EXTREMELY complicated. So for once in your life you can stop arguing against your straw-man. We don't support your straw-man so you will never have the satisfaction of debunking reailty itself whenever you knock that straw-man down.
bohart wrote:
DNA is a complex code, there is no known natural mechanism that creates coded information, none!
On the contrary, ONLY natural forces are observed to create DNA. The "code" you are describing (A,C,G,T) was invented by HUMANS. The code refers to CHEMICALS, called Adenine, Cytosine, Guanine and Thymine. And like all chemicals, certain ones react in certain ways. Just like hydrogen and oxygen create water. ACGT is no more a "code" than H2O is, but we know that natural chemical forces have no trouble making water.

So unless that is, you can describe the mechanisms your intelligent agent used and provide evidence of them.
bohart wrote:
It is impossible for Evolution to explain
Doesn't matter. The theory of evolution does not rely on abiogenesis. All the theory of evolution needs is for life to be here. Life IS here. Life evolves. Facts. In order to demonstrate otherwise you need to demonstrate that life is in fact NOT here.

Best of luck with that.
houh

Wilkes Barre, PA

#108015 Jan 17, 2014
tffy
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#108016 Jan 17, 2014
JM_Brazil wrote:
<quoted text>
Oops, sorry Dude, you beat me to it.
No worries, it's good to show that two people understand the arguments without prior communication being necessary.

““You must not lose faith ”

Level 5

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#108017 Jan 17, 2014
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you people lie all the time about life?....all the time life is made! by already existing life! that's reproduction!
That life is mere chemistry was debunked decades ago, it's a 19th century idea blown apart by electron microscopes showing life wasn't simple globs waiting to be manufactured.
DNA is a complex code, there is no known natural mechanism that creates coded information, none!
God reproduced

bio-chemistry and ultimately physics.

I suggest not hanging out in the 19 century.

Life is indeed not globs on the factory-floor

All life started simple. The build up took forever.

Really and here i puzzle on all those papers explaining the myriads of details!

““You must not lose faith ”

Level 5

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#108018 Jan 17, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh my dearest godbot you would be surprised how sharp MAAT actually is. Just because you are not bright enough to comprehend is no ones fault but your own
Google reality
Hey dear1

Normally i never respond to Bo, but it has become very still in this part of topix.

Nice warm bath of flattery and praise, just what i needed.
i just sharpened my teeth on a new thesis on hybrid gods being all the vogue in the orient in the bronze age leading up to the iron-age.
To sign a contract between kings a Thousand semitic gods had to be brought forward.
That's a choice between famine and getting creative.

And i learned that crescent moon feasts actually had to do with the menses of bands of goddesses.

And many other things. As in people of the Levant executing burials with addition of graves for donkeys and servants!

The main question riding the thesis was not sufficiently answered. Some more sources should have been scrutinized.

But is was sufficiently clear that the isolated god or isolated religion never existed.
And everybody traveled like mad.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#108019 Jan 17, 2014
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
isn't the periodic table a code? we were even able to predict some of the elements that should be there, and what their properties would be long before we were able to find those elements. that would seem like coded information.

Level 2

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#108020 Jan 18, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Please provide a link to this debunk? I think I may find it interesting
The fact that godbot guesswork has been superseded by multiple (MULTIPLE) and independent lines of scientific discovery and DNA evidence really seems to upset you for some reason. That same DNA that you are quite happy to see as evidence in a court case and back it 100% you quite blatantly deny when it comes to having to defend your goddidit by magic belief.
Of course it is known how DNA is formed, Its just 4 common chemicals that are built from 5 basic elements These elements were available throughout the universe after the first proto stars exploded over 12 billion years ago. Jeez even a school kid knows this. As usual for a goddidit by magic fan, you are forgetting the one important principal - TIME
Nope it is impossible for you to understand, there is a very obvious difference
Please explain how DNA self assembled and where did that information come from

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#108021 Jan 18, 2014
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>Please explain how DNA self assembled and where did that information come from
Short answer: RNA.

Level 2

Location hidden

#108022 Jan 18, 2014
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Short answer: RNA.
"Information is information, neither matter nor energy . No materialism that fails to take account of this can survive"

Norbert Weiner .........MIT mathematician and father of cybernetics

RNA ... isn't an answer, but you already knew that

“Rising”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Milky Way

#108023 Jan 18, 2014
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
"Information is information, neither matter nor energy . No materialism that fails to take account of this can survive"
Norbert Weiner .........MIT mathematician and father of cybernetics
RNA ... isn't an answer, but you already knew that
Why isn't RNA an answer?... Please elaborate to the best of your ability..

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#108024 Jan 19, 2014
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
See? you already lied,...evolution is a process by which DNA can develop! that is utter lying bullshite!, or you simply don't know any better.
You might want to let the New York times in on your discovery about DNA development, you are the only one who knows about it
Quote mine.

I said "DNA can develop complexity".

That is not the same thing and you know it.

Therefore you lied.

Epic fail.

Level 2

Location hidden

#108025 Jan 19, 2014
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Quote mine.
I said "DNA can develop complexity".
That is not the same thing and you know it.
Therefore you lied.
Epic fail.
Where did the DNA code get it's information?

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#108026 Jan 19, 2014
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
Where did the DNA code get it's information?
I do not pretend to know how the first DNA molecule came to be. That is a problem that biochemists are working on, of course.

Now the question of where the information came from. Again, one assumes that the first DNA molecule or perhaps its RNA predecessor had little "information". However we do know that up to 10% of randomly produced RNA has enzyme capabilities (catalytic) and that would not be a difficult chance phenomenon to kick things off.

You guys love to talk about "information" but I prefer to speak of function. As function increases, then of course the information coding it has increased too.

Now, moving to real DNA. How is information created even now? Usually by gene duplication. Humans for starters have a varying number of copies for amylase, used to digest starches. When there are more copies, one of them can mutate without compromising total function, and may thereby develop new function. For example, a version of amylase that digests a slightly different starchy food better. there is nothing mysterious about this.

When there is duplication, that is new information. When there is duplication with some functional modification, that is undoubtedly new information.

And THAT is what I mean by "DNA complexity increasing" through an evolutionary process. Whole families of proteins (and their genetic sequence) have been shown to track back in a hierarchy to a few simpler starters, such as the globin group.

“I started out with nothing”

Level 6

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#108027 Jan 19, 2014
MAAT wrote:
<quoted text> Hey dear1
Normally i never respond to Bo, but it has become very still in this part of topix.
Nice warm bath of flattery and praise, just what i needed.
i just sharpened my teeth on a new thesis on hybrid gods being all the vogue in the orient in the bronze age leading up to the iron-age.
To sign a contract between kings a Thousand semitic gods had to be brought forward.
That's a choice between famine and getting creative.
And i learned that crescent moon feasts actually had to do with the menses of bands of goddesses.
And many other things. As in people of the Levant executing burials with addition of graves for donkeys and servants!
The main question riding the thesis was not sufficiently answered. Some more sources should have been scrutinized.
But is was sufficiently clear that the isolated god or isolated religion never existed.
And everybody traveled like mad.
I think the babble could supply some info, not sure of the verse but it was in exodus I think where the Hebrew god appeared and flipped his lid because the escaped slaves were having a party to other gods

Also the psalms

Level 6

#108028 Jan 19, 2014
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
Please explain how DNA self assembled and where did that information come from
I am not here to give you 3 years of university education. You want to find out about chemistry 101+ then teach yourself.

Perhaps you could invest in a primer, I can recommend DNA from the Beginning, I have no financial motive but assure you that its pretty good.

http://www.dnalc.org/websites/dnaftb.html...

Or even more easily try cooking a good curry one evening, same principle, a bunch of chemicals and a process with a great result
tom

Romania

#108029 Jan 19, 2014
Hi

Level 6

#108030 Jan 19, 2014
tom wrote:
Hi
Good evening, welcome

Level 2

Location hidden

#108031 Jan 19, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not here to give you 3 years of university education. You want to find out about chemistry 101+ then teach yourself.
Perhaps you could invest in a primer, I can recommend DNA from the Beginning, I have no financial motive but assure you that its pretty good.
Or even more easily try cooking a good curry one evening, same principle, a bunch of chemicals and a process with a great result
what an idiotic response

information is information, neither matter nor energy.

Level 2

Location hidden

#108032 Jan 19, 2014
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I do not pretend to know how the first DNA molecule came to be. That is a problem that biochemists are working on, of course.
Now the question of where the information came from. Again, one assumes that the first DNA molecule or perhaps its RNA predecessor had little "information". However we do know that up to 10% of randomly produced RNA has enzyme capabilities (catalytic) and that would not be a difficult chance phenomenon to kick things off.
You guys love to talk about "information" but I prefer to speak of function. As function increases, then of course the information coding it has increased too.
Now, moving to real DNA. How is information created even now? Usually by gene duplication. Humans for starters have a varying number of copies for amylase, used to digest starches. When there are more copies, one of them can mutate without compromising total function, and may thereby develop new function. For example, a version of amylase that digests a slightly different starchy food better. there is nothing mysterious about this.
When there is duplication, that is new information. When there is duplication with some functional modification, that is undoubtedly new information.
And THAT is what I mean by "DNA complexity increasing" through an evolutionary process. Whole families of proteins (and their genetic sequence) have been shown to track back in a hierarchy to a few simpler starters, such as the globin group.
The only factual part of your statement was the first sentence, The rest of your statement was just grasping at straws. They are two problems of the first DNA, Where did the information come from, and how did it self assemble.
There is no none natural process that can do those.

Level 2

Location hidden

#108033 Jan 19, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
If you don't know, just say it! instead of bullsheete.
Explain the process of how your curry ingredients come together on their own and cook themselves to get your great result.

That's really how silly your reasoning is

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
*Classical music Thread* 8 min 40ish 38
Things you say while driving (Mar '14) 11 min greymouser 813
CHANGE One letter CHANCE (Sep '08) 14 min Old Sam 32,484
Change 1 letter game! (Nov '11) 17 min Old Sam 4,884
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 19 min wichita-rick 167,036
News How a Guy Got Banned From All Starbucks 21 min Protoham 20
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 24 min 40ish 12,642
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 51 min Tab Henno Henning 42,073
JUST SAY SOMETHING. Whatever comes to mind!! (Aug '09) 59 min andet1987 29,504
News Florida man fired up after being told to keep B... 2 hr Parden Pard 3