Evolution vs. Creation

Jan 6, 2011 Read more: Best of New Orleans 159,803
High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008. Read more
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#107590 Dec 13, 2013
DeAngelo of Memphis wrote:
<quoted text>I was mistaken, Genesis in KJV states that God made the firmament and set it in the midst of the waters, and then called the firmament "heaven". And remember, the ancients looked at the sky altogether as being the heavens and pictured the celestial bodies as being a lot closer (probably "Tower of Babel" height, lol) than what we know today. Even so that many felt that the dwelling place of God was actually on TOP of the clouds!! So this firmament is said to be between some waters...maybe the firmament WAS the clouds that were being referred to by the ancients as they recorded their experiences with the language of their time...because there IS water beneath the "clouds" and also water above them which we can in fact find MEGATONS of frozen water high above the clouds on top of mountains and also water crystals that float freely as high as the ozone layer.
Maybe.

Or maybe they, like you, don't have a clue what you're talking about.

Megatons of ice cannot sustain itself in our atmosphere without being torn apart by gravitational forces. At which point megatons of mass fall to Earth, and the heat generated fries everything on Earth. This is why we're not here to talk about it. Except we are. So you have two options:

1 - The Genesis story is utter BS.

2 - It's real because God is magic and can do whatever the heck it likes. Which means scientific evidence doesn't matter to this position. Unfortunately that means no-one can tell the difference between this and utter BS because evidence is rendered useless.

For simplicity I'm gonna go with 1.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#107591 Dec 13, 2013
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
What's the difference between Aura mytha and evolution?
One is a dumb ads liar and the other is a dumb ass fable.
Boom goes the irony meter.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#107592 Dec 13, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
I have never said I was leaving. I said I was not going to waste so much time in here. Unlike you I get out and enjoy life and the beauty it has to offer while you set here daily adding to the hate and evil in the world. But hey to each his own, Everyone should do what makes them happy but I see it as sad that you being here everyday and spreading hate is what makes you happy.
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't act like we are friends. We never were and never will be. You are an @$$, always have been and always will be.
Irony meter go boom boom.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#107594 Dec 13, 2013
<quoted text>The first 2 may be right, except that most creation accounts share similarities, but the 3rd one is all-the-way wrong!!!...and I can be objective, just not with what is obvious. And I also like to make sure that I have all of the facts before something is dismissed. And I'm gonna tell ya, visiting these forums every once in a while gives me a bit of insight at times from both sides of the argument.
Well, no. Most creation myths are as different as corned beef and Captain Crunch.
You take it as obvious that life is intelligently designed, which is not at all factually supported. It is just a belief.

http://www.topix.com/forum/news/evolution/T9Q...

Is there something in that post that would indicate you do not lean heavily on church doctrine?

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#107595 Dec 13, 2013
<quoted text>If we were there, I'm sure we can say what is right or wrong about what was recorded. Me, since I wasn't around I can't say what did or didn't happen...but can only speculate according to what is given.
Oh, there old "Were you there???" argument. No, I wasn't there. But I am here now and able to study chemistry, physics, biology, archeology *and* history.

Do we land on the moon? You weren't there either.
So U don't believe that the beings Noah, Moses, Abraham, David, Solomon, Nebukanezzer (spellcheck), Herod, Pilate, Jesus, Caesar, Saul of Tarsus, or any other figure mentioned in the scriptures never ever existed in history?!?
WTF? Now did I say that? You're not a creationist but as soon as someone picks on Genesis, you get your knickers in a wad.

Noah - Maybe, but no ark.
Moses - Probably not
Abraham - Probably not
David - Yes
Solomon - Yes
Nebukanezzer - Yes
Herod - Yes
Pilate - Yes
Jesus - Probably
Caesar - Yes
Saul of Tarsus - Yes

So what's your point?

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#107596 Dec 13, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
The bible is not all truths as well as it is not all lies. Many people get by in life by the faith they have in the bible and God and it is vile people like you and others on this thread that try to take that away from them. If what keeps them going does not affect you then why do you try to trample on what they find strength in.
Huh? No one is trying to take anything away from them. They come here voluntarily. If they don't want to hear criticism of their beliefs then they can simply stop their preaching and go the hell away.

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#107597 Dec 13, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
I would never be friends with a bigot, racist, swelled head idiot like you. Changing for the better is to not be around people like you so I will always get/be better by not being around people like yourself.
Geez! Who pissed on your Cheerios? Calm down.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Earth

#107598 Dec 13, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>See right there is what I am talking about. Many people hold the thought of God and the bible dear to them like a child holding Santa dear to them. If they want to believe that that is up to them, not up to you to try to destroy it. you may think your father was a great man but many people that know/knew him may think he was a total idiot. Even if you would not believe it, would you feel better if they told you or just let you go on thinking he was great?
What if your father is Charles Manson, Ed Gein, Bernie Madoff...? Is society supposed to hide the inconvenient truth from you to protect your delicate sensibilities?
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>Your father and grandfather were fcking idiots and worthless just like your momma unless you can show me scientific evidence that shows otherwise. I mean by your standards, unless science evidence can be presented to show different, then it is what it is.
You make the claim, so where is your evidence? Do you have their school test scores, interviews with people who knew/know them, psychological profiles, etc? I dare say no. Can you provide any evidence that there were an Adam and Eve, a Garden of Eden, global flood, a Tower of Babel, an exodus...? I dare say no. It is the religious who hold that standard that not only unless, but even when scientific evidence is provided to show differently, it still "is what it is."
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
The bible is not all truths as well as it is not all lies. Many people get by in life by the faith they have in the bible and God and it is vile people like you and others on this thread that try to take that away from them. If what keeps them going does not affect you then why do you try to trample on what they find strength in.
You mean like telling people who they can marry, indoctrinating the neighbor's children into their own religion/denomination, demanding that their religious views are violated by contraceptives, opposing research because it might be contrary to a 1600 year old book, discriminating against 'pagans and heathens', using public funds only according to church approval or even to promote religious agendas, etc., etc.? Maybe it's stoning sinners, burning witches, slavery, genocide....?
Just what keeps "them" going, Replay? Wherein lies their "strength?" Is it the Bible, or is it detachment from reality?

Level 1

Since: Jan 12

Memphis, TN

#107599 Dec 13, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
What makes you think that Moses or Abraham were real?
You do know that most anthropologists will quickly point out that there is no record of the Jews in Egypt. And they are very sure that an estimated 2 million people lost on a relatively small, no make that amazingly small, desert for 40 freaking years would leave some sort of evidence behind. None has been found to date.
Take into consideration that a lot of the history of the Jews had been destroyed or sought to be destroyed. There are records of Moses, the pharoah, and the enslaved people found outside of the Bible. And a lot of these records are kept sacred and preserved...hell, the Ethiopians claim to house the Ark of the Covenant and it's hidden and guarded. Just take a brief look into history...we have records of the Egyptians, Sumerians, Babylonians, Persians, Greeks, Chinese, Indians, Native Americans, Romans, Spaniards, British, Scandinavians, Latin Americans, I can go on forever...my point is that we have all of these records of the different peoples and cultures from around the world and we take these records as proof of the history of mankind throughout the time on Earth and and hold them as facts...but when U look at the history of the Hebrew people U dismiss it as just a legend or myth despite of the existence of the Hebrew culture of today. It's ignorant (ignoring the facts) of U to deny the written records that are outside of the compiled scriptures. But at the same time, in history we understand that there has been a conscious effort by imperialist powers to wipe out the history of the Hebrew people so it should be no surprise to U that we are not gonna find as many records or artifacts of that time in history and when we do find an artifact it is either heavily guarded or kept hidden for preservation within the culture.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#107600 Dec 13, 2013
<quoted text>Take into consideration that a lot of the history of the Jews had been destroyed or sought to be destroyed. There are records of Moses, the pharoah, and the enslaved people found outside of the Bible. And a lot of these records are kept sacred and preserved...hell, the Ethiopians claim to house the Ark of the Covenant and it's hidden and guarded. Just take a brief look into history...we have records of the Egyptians, Sumerians, Babylonians, Persians, Greeks, Chinese, Indians, Native Americans, Romans, Spaniards, British, Scandinavians, Latin Americans, I can go on forever...my point is that we have all of these records of the different peoples and cultures from around the world and we take these records as proof of the history of mankind throughout the time on Earth and and hold them as facts...but when U look at the history of the Hebrew people U dismiss it as just a legend or myth despite of the existence of the Hebrew culture of today. It's ignorant (ignoring the facts) of U to deny the written records that are outside of the compiled scriptures. But at the same time, in history we understand that there has been a conscious effort by imperialist powers to wipe out the history of the Hebrew people so it should be no surprise to U that we are not gonna find as many records or artifacts of that time in history and when we do find an artifact it is either heavily guarded or kept hidden for preservation within the culture.
if these records are sacred and preserved, how do you know about them? just because some nut says they are there does not make it so.

we do have very documented, written records from the romans that clearly show this hebrew culture of yours to be laden with clear, provable falsehoods. the entire story of jesus being born in Bethlehem...fabricated. if there is one thing the romans kept meticulous records of, it was their taxation and census taking. there was no census at that time.

do not confuse oral myth with history.

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#107601 Dec 13, 2013
<quoted text>Take into consideration that a lot of the history of the Jews had been destroyed or sought to be destroyed. There are records of Moses, the pharoah, and the enslaved people found outside of the Bible. And a lot of these records are kept sacred and preserved...hell, the Ethiopians claim to house the Ark of the Covenant and it's hidden and guarded. Just take a brief look into history...we have records of the Egyptians, Sumerians, Babylonians, Persians, Greeks, Chinese, Indians, Native Americans, Romans, Spaniards, British, Scandinavians, Latin Americans, I can go on forever...my point is that we have all of these records of the different peoples and cultures from around the world and we take these records as proof of the history of mankind throughout the time on Earth and and hold them as facts...but when U look at the history of the Hebrew people U dismiss it as just a legend or myth despite of the existence of the Hebrew culture of today. It's ignorant (ignoring the facts) of U to deny the written records that are outside of the compiled scriptures. But at the same time, in history we understand that there has been a conscious effort by imperialist powers to wipe out the history of the Hebrew people so it should be no surprise to U that we are not gonna find as many records or artifacts of that time in history and when we do find an artifact it is either heavily guarded or kept hidden for preservation within the culture.
What happened to your "Were you there?" argument?

I'd appreciate some references for all the corroborating documents you mentioned. Especially the Moses/Egypt stuff.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Earth

#107602 Dec 13, 2013
How do you construe that a historical record is the same thing as talking serpents, global floods and rising from the dead? You're going to be hard pressed to find Kokopelli in a geological survey of the southwest or the Norwegian sagas being used as "definitive proof" against the ToE.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#107603 Dec 13, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
I have never said I was leaving. I said I was not going to waste so much time in here. Unlike you I get out and enjoy life and the beauty it has to offer while you set here daily adding to the hate and evil in the world. But hey to each his own, Everyone should do what makes them happy but I see it as sad that you being here everyday and spreading hate is what makes you happy.
So claims the idiot who has been posting here far more than I have lately. And look how the moron lies about spreading hate. I have never spread hate, I have expressed my dislike for hypocrites, like replaytime, and for idiots, again like replaytime, but I have never expressed hate for them. Yet I have seen replaytime do just that.

And this is only on this one small area of Topix that I post on. He has admitted himself that he frequents quite a few pages here. I doubt that he has left those to only post here.

St. Croix valley

#107604 Dec 13, 2013
all those societies you mention also have their own gods. are you saying you believe in all those gods?

your god is gonna be pissed!(and he is proven to be a jealous, vindictive, little prick. you're gonna smoke a turd in hell for using the 'logic' you just did...
woodticks a queer

San Jose, CA

#107605 Dec 13, 2013
I am gay.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#107606 Dec 13, 2013
Out of sheer curiousity. cite this extrabiblical evidence for Moses and the enslavement.(I'll give you Pharaohs - there were a bunch of those.)

Level 1

Since: Jan 12

Memphis, TN

#107607 Dec 13, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe.
Or maybe they, like you, don't have a clue what you're talking about.
Megatons of ice cannot sustain itself in our atmosphere without being torn apart by gravitational forces. At which point megatons of mass fall to Earth, and the heat generated fries everything on Earth. This is why we're not here to talk about it. Except we are.
I stated that there are megatons of ice on the TOPS of mountains...and I stated that there are water CRYSTALS in the atmosphere that travel freely as high as the ozone layer...U twisted what I stated to fit your rebuttal...and to tell U the truth, I believe that U're someone's SOCKPUPPET because I noticed that as soon as a certain couple of people talked about leaving the forum because of some bickering, U just so happen to POP-UP!! Maybe just coincidence...but likely not!! U need to register to TOPIX because if U're not registered, that lets us know that U are nothing more than one of these registered folks in disguise!!

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#107608 Dec 13, 2013
<quoted text>I stated that there are megatons of ice on the TOPS of mountains...and I stated that there are water CRYSTALS in the atmosphere that travel freely as high as the ozone layer...U twisted what I stated to fit your rebuttal...and to tell U the truth, I believe that U're someone's SOCKPUPPET because I noticed that as soon as a certain couple of people talked about leaving the forum because of some bickering, U just so happen to POP-UP!! Maybe just coincidence...but likely not!! U need to register to TOPIX because if U're not registered, that lets us know that U are nothing more than one of these registered folks in disguise!!
Nah. The Dude's been around here for a very long time.

St. Croix valley

#107609 Dec 13, 2013
<quoted text>I stated that there are megatons of ice on the TOPS of mountains...and I stated that there are water CRYSTALS in the atmosphere that travel freely as high as the ozone layer...U twisted what I stated to fit your rebuttal...and to tell U the truth, I believe that U're someone's SOCKPUPPET because I noticed that as soon as a certain couple of people talked about leaving the forum because of some bickering, U just so happen to POP-UP!! Maybe just coincidence...but likely not!! U need to register to TOPIX because if U're not registered, that lets us know that U are nothing more than one of these registered folks in disguise!!
it would only take a seventh grade level understanding of syntax, writing styles, and posting habits to notice that The Dude is not another commenter here.

St. Croix valley

#107610 Dec 13, 2013
woodticks a queer wrote:
I am gay.
good for you! i hope you find happiness and love.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What happened last week? 5 min Krypteia 7
Change-one-of-six-letters (Dec '12) 9 min Crystal_Clear722 5,152
Who was right? 9 min LOST IN MISSISSIPPI 2
Change "1" letter =ONLY= (Oct '12) 12 min Crystal_Clear722 5,428
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 12 min Jacklin 161,036
CHANGE One letter CHANCE (Sep '08) 15 min Crystal_Clear722 31,439
Change 1 letter game! (Nov '11) 18 min Crystal_Clear722 4,139
Whatcha' doing? (Apr '12) 47 min Crazy Jae 8,295
motorcycle traveling stories 1 hr LOST IN MISSISSIPPI 374
News SC deputies: 11 cyclists victims in strange rev... 3 hr Mega Monster 3