Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 172079 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

Level 1

Since: Jan 12

Memphis, TN

#107438 Dec 6, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> When you are in the public domain, we may now like celebrity status and the paparazzi following our every move and clicking their pictures invading our privacy , but it in fact is a legal hassle we must contend with , without hostile action that could escalate into disaster.
This whole scenario is vividly reminiscent of this very type thing. However negative the presumption of the acclaimed celebrity status that Martin held, he was still the target of paparazzi style spying, to which he handled so badly..it cost him his life.
Ok...uh...I'm trying my hardest to compare the two but I don't see ANY correlation between the paps and Zim. Celebs are put out as idols of the public so when out in public they have no privacy. Someone like Martin was no one to be following, except maybe if Zim was doing a survey on which brand of canned beverage do young African-Americans prefer with their candy after 5:00pm!! Let me ask U, how would U handle it if U were persistently followed one night by someone U didn't know and U asked them to get somewhere?? Taking into consideration that this person COULD harm U and that they'll have enough time to do it before U could even receive help, how would U handle it?!

“Get Extreme or Go Home. ”

Since: Nov 13

United States

#107439 Dec 6, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Sum up your whole argument here...
"He may not have broke the laws by following Martin"
Case closed sorry, it had a ultra bad ending, if I were a god I could change it. But since there is no gods, not but human frailty and bad endings. At least We as in You and I, can learn from this bad thing that went down.
Aye my very young apprentice?
He may not have broken any laws by following him. But when he confronted him then the door is open to anything and a killing occurred. If a man hangs outside your house on the street or sidewalk is he breaking any laws? Of course not but would you let him just hang out there or confront him or have someone confront him for hanging out in front of your house? Why if you would confront him or have him confronted? After all he is not breaking any laws right. Travon was not breaking any laws either, he was being followed by Zimmerman and Zimmerman confronted him for no reason. Zimmerman was getting his butt whipped by a kid he confronted so he shot him.

“Rising”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Milky Way

#107440 Dec 6, 2013
Extreme Ways wrote:
<quoted text>
He may not have broken any laws by following him. But when he confronted him then the door is open to anything and a killing occurred. If a man hangs outside your house on the street or sidewalk is he breaking any laws? Of course not but would you let him just hang out there or confront him or have someone confront him for hanging out in front of your house? Why if you would confront him or have him confronted? After all he is not breaking any laws right. Travon was not breaking any laws either, he was being followed by Zimmerman and Zimmerman confronted him for no reason. Zimmerman was getting his butt whipped by a kid he confronted so he shot him.
End of story , you can argue forever.
Hold resentment and feel shame all you want ...you have already closed the case with thine own admission. Sure feelings run strong. BUT..

There is no emotion, there is peace.
There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
There is no passion, there is serenity.
(There is no chaos, there is harmony.
There is no death, there is the Force.

GET OVER IT!

My very young apprentice.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#107441 Dec 6, 2013
Extreme Ways wrote:
<quoted text>
The problem is that Martin did not "confront" him. That would have been fine. There is nothing illegal about that. The evidence is fairly clear that Martin attacked him.

That is where Martin lost the high ground.

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#107442 Dec 6, 2013
Extreme Ways wrote:
<quoted text>
You keep harping about it being cold that night. The mean temp was 61 degrees. The high temp was 69 degrees and the low temp was only 53 degrees. That 53 degrees was probably hit in the very early morning hours as usual.
So as you can see it was not a "cold" night as you keep saying. Just a little cool at the lowest temperature of 53 degrees.
http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/K...
"Cool" is what a person is accustomed to. I live in Wisconsin. To me, 60 degrees is t-shits and shorts weather. I've been in Florida when the temps were in the 60 deg range and most of the locals dressed like I would dress when the temps are in the 40's. You can't let your opinion of what is 'cool' get in the way of how others perceive it

Location hidden

#107443 Dec 6, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Cold is relative. For Floridians this was cold.
I had someone in an unairconditioned store I used to own on a day when it was over 90 inside. She had on a light weight sweater since she had moved to Singapore and the temperature felt a little cool to her.
You have to look at some facts in context. For Floridians it was a cold night. Someone from Minneapolis would be walking around in shorts and a short sleeved shirt. That would not mean that the natives were wrong in considering it "cold".
I see you covered this already... I usually scroll down a few posts to try to not repeat a point already made. Gotta remember to do this I start celebrating the weekend!

Location hidden

#107444 Dec 6, 2013
...this <before> I...

meh

Location hidden

#107445 Dec 6, 2013
JM_Brazil wrote:
<quoted text>
There is, and if I could spell Oijee board I'd have an answer for you.
serious LOL!!

Location hidden

#107446 Dec 6, 2013
JM_Brazil wrote:
<quoted text>
There is, and if I could spell Oijee board I'd have an answer for you.
Been checkin' my sin's "Magic 8-Ball".... it keeps coming up with an edge.. WTF?

Location hidden

#107447 Dec 6, 2013
LOL! "sin's" should be "son's",

See?? That's why I don't usually do this on a Friday night. I Have a few drinks, and a bud or 2, and I start typing like a creationist

Location hidden

#107448 Dec 6, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly. The news reports here (Florida) frequently show "snowbirds" frolicking in the ocean during the winter, when those of us with common sense are suffering the 50 degree winter days.
But, Kong... you are a very hairy bugger... You were probably every bit as comfortable at 50 as I would be

Location hidden

#107449 Dec 6, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
I had a friend from Wisconsin visit one winter several years ago. He thought my 50 degree swimming pool was very comfortable. Nutz.
I'm in WI... 50 degree water if f*cking cold. Yes... I've done a couple of "Polar Near Plunges". It takes days for the nuts to drop back after that

Location hidden

#107450 Dec 6, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
I can relate.
My extended family (Aunts/Uncles/Cousins) pretty much all live in rural Minnesota. When they visit, they (quite understandably) do so during the winter months.
Quite the disconnect.
course. Your typical winder day is the equivalent of a beautiful summer day for us from the upper mid-west.

We get hot, miserably humid days here in the summer... don't need to ramp it up by heading further south

Location hidden

#107451 Dec 6, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
When I was growing up in Minnesota it seemed fairly common to have a midwinter thaw. The temperatures would go from zero or even 20 below to the mid forties. It was perfectly normal to see people out in short sleeve shirts in those balmy temperatures. Now if you were fresh from Florida you might gawk at people outside half naked in what would be "freezing temperatures" to you, but we just had a 60 degree shift in temperature and were loving it.
Yup... I've been out in mid-January in a t-shirt chopping ice out of the end of the driveway after a snowy cold-snap followed by temps in the 40s.

Those times never last very long though. It's like the ultimate "mother nature" tease. <heartless bitch that she is>

Location hidden

#107452 Dec 6, 2013
Extreme Ways wrote:
All that temperature crap is in the mind. You ever notice when it is 100 degrees out with the air set on 68 degrees they complain it is still hot inside. But when the temp is 15 degrees out and the heat is set on 75 they complain it is still cold inside.
<finicky f*cking humans>

Location hidden

#107453 Dec 6, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>Ot's because humans always want what they can't have.
Yep... we can be a whiny, never satisfied bunch

Location hidden

#107454 Dec 6, 2013
holy crap... movin' on

have good weekend, all
davy

Albuquerque, NM

#107455 Dec 6, 2013
Not a fan of GZ but he it is not true that " he followed when told not to(sic).
Most of your other statements are distortions of the truth in the same manner. Stop watching the fools on MSNBC.
Extreme Ways wrote:
<quoted text>
1. Your past is always related to new charges.
2, He followed when told not to.
3. The neighborhood watch program that he appointed himself head of has a handbook that said "do not follow a suspect"
4. They taught in their classes not to follow a suspect.
5. He had several prior incidences with 911 where he confronted and had contact with other suspects.
on #5 Ramona Rumph, from the Sheriff's communications office, testified about details of Zimmerman's prior 911 and non-emergency calls. The state then played several of his previous 911 and non-emergency calls for the jury. After the calls were played on cross-examination O'Mara asked Rumph about the results of these calls, and she testified that some had resulted in contacts with suspects.
So this wasn't the first time he confronted people he thought were suspicious or suspects. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_of_Florida...
He may not have broke the laws by following Martin but he darn sure knew better and was told not to follow him. "If you go looking for trouble you will find it",,, also said as "if you knowingly put yourself in a situation for trouble, that's exactly what you're going to get".

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#107456 Dec 7, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
The problem is that Martin did not "confront" him. That would have been fine. There is nothing illegal about that. The evidence is fairly clear that Martin attacked him.
That is where Martin lost the high ground.
The evidence is better than "fairly clear" who the aggressor was and who initiated actions resulting in a loss of life, and it wasn't the kid walking back to his dad's house.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#107457 Dec 7, 2013
TerryL wrote:
<quoted text>I'm in WI... 50 degree water if f*cking cold. Yes... I've done a couple of "Polar Near Plunges". It takes days for the nuts to drop back after that
ah, we swim and cliff jump into the big lake all the time. we describe it as 'a little brisk'...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
" Tell me a secret"...... (Oct '14) 2 min wichita-rick 543
True False Game (Jun '11) 18 min greymouser 9,907
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 20 min wichita-rick 167,496
*Classical music Thread* 29 min greymouser 63
A Potpourri of Expressions in Words & Rhyme (Sep '12) 32 min KNIGHT DeVINE 831
LOVE and OTHER BRUISES (Apr '12) 43 min KNIGHT DeVINE 1,395
Let's Play Another Three Words,... 51 min CJ Rocker 57
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 1 hr KNIGHT DeVINE 12,830
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 1 hr Lemmy Guess 42,143
hoosier hillbilly (Sep '12) 3 hr Crystal_Clear722 1,968