Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 199161 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#107422 Dec 6, 2013
JM_Brazil wrote:
<quoted text>
There is, and if I could spell Oijee board I'd have an answer for you.
"Ouija" Or translated from French and German: "yes yes"

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#107423 Dec 6, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Cold is relative. For Floridians this was cold.
I had someone in an unairconditioned store I used to own on a day when it was over 90 inside. She had on a light weight sweater since she had moved to Singapore and the temperature felt a little cool to her.
You have to look at some facts in context. For Floridians it was a cold night. Someone from Minneapolis would be walking around in shorts and a short sleeved shirt. That would not mean that the natives were wrong in considering it "cold".
Exactly. The news reports here (Florida) frequently show "snowbirds" frolicking in the ocean during the winter, when those of us with common sense are suffering the 50 degree winter days.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#107424 Dec 6, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly. The news reports here (Florida) frequently show "snowbirds" frolicking in the ocean during the winter, when those of us with common sense are suffering the 50 degree winter days.
I had a friend from Wisconsin visit one winter several years ago. He thought my 50 degree swimming pool was very comfortable. Nutz.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#107425 Dec 6, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
I had a friend from Wisconsin visit one winter several years ago. He thought my 50 degree swimming pool was very comfortable. Nutz.
And I still laugh at locals who complain about the "heat" when the temperature gets in the high 70's. I even heard on guy complain when it was 72!

Like San Francisco we sometimes have very cold, or at the very least late summers. I had the heat on one year on July 3rd. Easy to remember because the next day was the 4th, which seems to be when summer begins here.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#107426 Dec 6, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
I can relate.

My extended family (Aunts/Uncles/Cousins) pretty much all live in rural Minnesota. When they visit, they (quite understandably) do so during the winter months.

Quite the disconnect.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#107427 Dec 6, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
I can relate.
My extended family (Aunts/Uncles/Cousins) pretty much all live in rural Minnesota. When they visit, they (quite understandably) do so during the winter months.
Quite the disconnect.
When I was growing up in Minnesota it seemed fairly common to have a midwinter thaw. The temperatures would go from zero or even 20 below to the mid forties. It was perfectly normal to see people out in short sleeve shirts in those balmy temperatures. Now if you were fresh from Florida you might gawk at people outside half naked in what would be "freezing temperatures" to you, but we just had a 60 degree shift in temperature and were loving it.

“Get Extreme or Go Home. ”

Since: Nov 13

United States

#107428 Dec 6, 2013
All that temperature crap is in the mind. You ever notice when it is 100 degrees out with the air set on 68 degrees they complain it is still hot inside. But when the temp is 15 degrees out and the heat is set on 75 they complain it is still cold inside.

“Seventh son”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Will Prevail

#107429 Dec 6, 2013
Extreme Ways wrote:
All that temperature crap is in the mind. You ever notice when it is 100 degrees out with the air set on 68 degrees they complain it is still hot inside. But when the temp is 15 degrees out and the heat is set on 75 they complain it is still cold inside.
Ot's because humans always want what they can't have.

United States

#107430 Dec 6, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
I already went over those.
No, his dad did not have anything to do with those charges disappearing.
Please try to get something new. And even if that was the case, he still had his gun legally, even if you did not like how he got it legally. He still had a legal right to defend himself if he was attacked.
Why do you keep bringing up these red herrings? Oh yes, to detract from the fact that you are wrong.
Red Herrings! You must be kidding!

1. His Dad is a retired Orange County magistrate judge as well as retired military and former worker for the department of defense.
2. His uncle Jorge Meza, a former U.S. Army Command Sergeant Major, and currently employed by the Orange County Sheriff's Office, which by the way testified for the defense.
3. 90% of his defense evidence was nothing more than character witness's from friends and family.(like they would say anything bad)
4. He had been arrested in the past for domestic violence, resisting an officer without violence and resisting an officer with violence. Pushing an officer once he shows his badge is attacking an officer no matter how you look at it.
5. His Dad wrote a book called "Florida v. Zimmerman: Uncovering the Malicious Prosecution of My Son, George" saying the "Blacks Are the Racists".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Zimmerman

The dads book
http://www.theroot.com/articles/culture/2013/...

Subzone I am beginning to think you are just raciest and glad he beat the wrap.

United States

#107431 Dec 6, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
I already went over those.
No, his dad did not have anything to do with those charges disappearing.
Please try to get something new. And even if that was the case, he still had his gun legally, even if you did not like how he got it legally. He still had a legal right to defend himself if he was attacked.
Why do you keep bringing up these red herrings? Oh yes, to detract from the fact that you are wrong.
Yes they were subsequently dropped (which I believe his dad had a helping hand in)when Zimmerman entered a pre-trial diversion program that included "anger-management classes".

But he had no anger problem right?

Oh and don't for get just a few weeks ago - On November 18, 2013, Zimmerman's girlfriend called the police alleging that after she had asked Zimmerman to leave her home, he had pointed a shotgun at her and begun breaking her belongings. When the police arrived on the scene and met her outside, Zimmerman initially would not let them inside or speak with them and instead called 9-1-1 himself, saying that he had nothing to say to the police and just wanted "everyone to know the truth". The police subsequently reported that Zimmerman had barricaded himself inside the apartment before they had made their way inside and arrested him.[39] He was charged with aggravated assault with a weapon – a felony – as well as domestic violence battery and criminal mischief.[38][40] Zimmerman obtained the services of Chief Seminole County Public Defender Jeff Dowdy,and Assistant public defender Daniel Megaro, who said that Zimmerman was indigent with about $2.5 million in debt.[43] On November 25, 2013, The Orlando Sentinel reported that Zimmerman, despite being legally indigent, had discharged the public defender's office in favor of Jayne Weintraub, a south Florida attorney who has done legal commentary on cable. His arraignment was scheduled for January 7, 2014.

Still no anger problems or problems with authority right?

Level 1

Since: Jan 12

Memphis, TN

#107432 Dec 6, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
He may have. He may have been age profiling too.
And he was not charged with "FIRST DEGREE". He was charged with Second Degree homicide and at the end they added an option to charge him with Manslaughter. And the jury was "cherry picked" by both sides.
The defense does not have free reign on who will be in a jury, nor does the prosecution. They both have an equal number of rejections without reason and after that you have to show a reason why a particular juror should be excluded.
And remember, the evidence showed that Martin did not just confront Zimmerman, that would have been legal. He physically attacked him. That is not legal. At that point Zimmerman had the right to shoot to defend himself.
And please, get your facts right about the case. Such gross errors as claiming that he was charged with First Degree Murder when that is clearly not the case blows your own argument out of the water. He was charged with the crimes you thought he should have been charged with and he sti
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_of_Florida...
U're right, and I stand corrected!! He WAS charged with second-degree and still got off. But it's not like Martin turned and just started beating on Zim...Martin asked him why was he following him and requested that he [Zim] go find some business. U keep trying to justify Zim's actions!...why? If I was following U, U would probably be thinking of whooping my ass too, especially if U had already asked me a few times to back off, right?! And further more, what grown man that U know would allow a young boy to rough 'em up?! Seriously?! Zim put himself into that position of vunerability in order to justify his intended actions...and that was to use his weapon as a means of exerting his powered ego as he proclaimed himself as the neighborhood block watch captain. I've witnessed LICENSED security guards that exert this same type of behavior towards common folk that may be just minding their own business. I'm not saying that I am for this but here in Memphis those kinds of guards are known to be the ones shot and killed instead of a situation ending like Zim's. So Zim put himself in that situation and it's going to affect the rest of his life.

“Seventh son”

Level 8

Will Prevail

#107433 Dec 6, 2013
Extreme Ways wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes they were subsequently dropped (which I believe his dad had a helping hand in)when Zimmerman entered a pre-trial diversion program that included "anger-management classes".
But he had no anger problem right?
Oh and don't for get just a few weeks ago - On November 18, 2013, Zimmerman's girlfriend called the police alleging that after she had asked Zimmerman to leave her home, he had pointed a shotgun at her and begun breaking her belongings. When the police arrived on the scene and met her outside, Zimmerman initially would not let them inside or speak with them and instead called 9-1-1 himself, saying that he had nothing to say to the police and just wanted "everyone to know the truth". The police subsequently reported that Zimmerman had barricaded himself inside the apartment before they had made their way inside and arrested him.[39] He was charged with aggravated assault with a weapon – a felony – as well as domestic violence battery and criminal mischief.[38][40] Zimmerman obtained the services of Chief Seminole County Public Defender Jeff Dowdy,and Assistant public defender Daniel Megaro, who said that Zimmerman was indigent with about $2.5 million in debt.[43] On November 25, 2013, The Orlando Sentinel reported that Zimmerman, despite being legally indigent, had discharged the public defender's office in favor of Jayne Weintraub, a south Florida attorney who has done legal commentary on cable. His arraignment was scheduled for January 7, 2014.
Still no anger problems or problems with authority right?

The two cases are in fact...unrelated.
You are trying to profile the man now, are you an expert witness?
Truth be known now... cite what laws Zimmerman broke on the the night he shot Martin. Then we can debate that.

“Seventh son”

Level 8

Will Prevail

#107434 Dec 6, 2013
DeAngelo of Memphis wrote:
<quoted text>U're right, and I stand corrected!! He WAS charged with second-degree and still got off. But it's not like Martin turned and just started beating on Zim...Martin asked him why was he following him and requested that he [Zim] go find some business. U keep trying to justify Zim's actions!...why? If I was following U, U would probably be thinking of whooping my ass too, especially if U had already asked me a few times to back off, right?! And further more, what grown man that U know would allow a young boy to rough 'em up?! Seriously?! Zim put himself into that position of vunerability in order to justify his intended actions...and that was to use his weapon as a means of exerting his powered ego as he proclaimed himself as the neighborhood block watch captain. I've witnessed LICENSED security guards that exert this same type of behavior towards common folk that may be just minding their own business. I'm not saying that I am for this but here in Memphis those kinds of guards are known to be the ones shot and killed instead of a situation ending like Zim's. So Zim put himself in that situation and it's going to affect the rest of his life.
When you are in the public domain, we may now like celebrity status and the paparazzi following our every move and clicking their pictures invading our privacy , but it in fact is a legal hassle we must contend with , without hostile action that could escalate into disaster.

This whole scenario is vividly reminiscent of this very type thing. However negative the presumption of the acclaimed celebrity status that Martin held, he was still the target of paparazzi style spying, to which he handled so badly..it cost him his life.

United States

#107435 Dec 6, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
The two cases are in fact...unrelated.
You are trying to profile the man now, are you an expert witness?
Truth be known now... cite what laws Zimmerman broke on the the night he shot Martin. Then we can debate that.
1. Your past is always related to new charges.
2, He followed when told not to.
3. The neighborhood watch program that he appointed himself head of has a handbook that said "do not follow a suspect"
4. They taught in their classes not to follow a suspect.
5. He had several prior incidences with 911 where he confronted and had contact with other suspects.

on #5 Ramona Rumph, from the Sheriff's communications office, testified about details of Zimmerman's prior 911 and non-emergency calls. The state then played several of his previous 911 and non-emergency calls for the jury. After the calls were played on cross-examination O'Mara asked Rumph about the results of these calls, and she testified that some had resulted in contacts with suspects.

So this wasn't the first time he confronted people he thought were suspicious or suspects. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_of_Florida...

He may not have broke the laws by following Martin but he darn sure knew better and was told not to follow him. "If you go looking for trouble you will find it",,, also said as "if you knowingly put yourself in a situation for trouble, that's exactly what you're going to get".

United States

#107436 Dec 6, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> However negative the presumption of the acclaimed celebrity status that Martin held, he was still the target of paparazzi style spying, to which he handled so badly..it cost him his life.
????? You mean Zimmerman? Martin was dead. He knew of no celebrity status and was not spied on by the paparazzi that cost him his life by handling that badly.

“Seventh son”

Level 8

Will Prevail

#107437 Dec 6, 2013
Extreme Ways wrote:
<quoted text>
1. Your past is always related to new charges.
2, He followed when told not to.
3. The neighborhood watch program that he appointed himself head of has a handbook that said "do not follow a suspect"
4. They taught in their classes not to follow a suspect.
5. He had several prior incidences with 911 where he confronted and had contact with other suspects.
on #5 Ramona Rumph, from the Sheriff's communications office, testified about details of Zimmerman's prior 911 and non-emergency calls. The state then played several of his previous 911 and non-emergency calls for the jury. After the calls were played on cross-examination O'Mara asked Rumph about the results of these calls, and she testified that some had resulted in contacts with suspects.
So this wasn't the first time he confronted people he thought were suspicious or suspects. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_of_Florida...
He may not have broke the laws by following Martin but he darn sure knew better and was told not to follow him. "If you go looking for trouble you will find it",,, also said as "if you knowingly put yourself in a situation for trouble, that's exactly what you're going to get".
Sum up your whole argument here...

"He may not have broke the laws by following Martin"

Case closed sorry, it had a ultra bad ending, if I were a god I could change it. But since there is no gods, not but human frailty and bad endings. At least We as in You and I, can learn from this bad thing that went down.

Aye my very young apprentice?

Level 1

Since: Jan 12

Memphis, TN

#107438 Dec 6, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> When you are in the public domain, we may now like celebrity status and the paparazzi following our every move and clicking their pictures invading our privacy , but it in fact is a legal hassle we must contend with , without hostile action that could escalate into disaster.
This whole scenario is vividly reminiscent of this very type thing. However negative the presumption of the acclaimed celebrity status that Martin held, he was still the target of paparazzi style spying, to which he handled so badly..it cost him his life.
Ok...uh...I'm trying my hardest to compare the two but I don't see ANY correlation between the paps and Zim. Celebs are put out as idols of the public so when out in public they have no privacy. Someone like Martin was no one to be following, except maybe if Zim was doing a survey on which brand of canned beverage do young African-Americans prefer with their candy after 5:00pm!! Let me ask U, how would U handle it if U were persistently followed one night by someone U didn't know and U asked them to get somewhere?? Taking into consideration that this person COULD harm U and that they'll have enough time to do it before U could even receive help, how would U handle it?!

United States

#107439 Dec 6, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Sum up your whole argument here...
"He may not have broke the laws by following Martin"
Case closed sorry, it had a ultra bad ending, if I were a god I could change it. But since there is no gods, not but human frailty and bad endings. At least We as in You and I, can learn from this bad thing that went down.
Aye my very young apprentice?
He may not have broken any laws by following him. But when he confronted him then the door is open to anything and a killing occurred. If a man hangs outside your house on the street or sidewalk is he breaking any laws? Of course not but would you let him just hang out there or confront him or have someone confront him for hanging out in front of your house? Why if you would confront him or have him confronted? After all he is not breaking any laws right. Travon was not breaking any laws either, he was being followed by Zimmerman and Zimmerman confronted him for no reason. Zimmerman was getting his butt whipped by a kid he confronted so he shot him.

“Seventh son”

Level 8

Will Prevail

#107440 Dec 6, 2013
Extreme Ways wrote:
<quoted text>
He may not have broken any laws by following him. But when he confronted him then the door is open to anything and a killing occurred. If a man hangs outside your house on the street or sidewalk is he breaking any laws? Of course not but would you let him just hang out there or confront him or have someone confront him for hanging out in front of your house? Why if you would confront him or have him confronted? After all he is not breaking any laws right. Travon was not breaking any laws either, he was being followed by Zimmerman and Zimmerman confronted him for no reason. Zimmerman was getting his butt whipped by a kid he confronted so he shot him.
End of story , you can argue forever.
Hold resentment and feel shame all you want ...you have already closed the case with thine own admission. Sure feelings run strong. BUT..

There is no emotion, there is peace.
There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
There is no passion, there is serenity.
(There is no chaos, there is harmony.
There is no death, there is the Force.

GET OVER IT!

My very young apprentice.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#107441 Dec 6, 2013
Extreme Ways wrote:
<quoted text>
The problem is that Martin did not "confront" him. That would have been fine. There is nothing illegal about that. The evidence is fairly clear that Martin attacked him.

That is where Martin lost the high ground.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 4 min wichita-rick 192,698
News Groom bitten by rattlesnake during wedding day ... 8 min KNIGHT DeVINE 11
Keep a Word.....Drop a Word Game (Sep '13) 15 min KNIGHT DeVINE 11,502
Has Stacked and Proud Left? (May '11) 25 min KNIGHT DeVINE 291
2words into 2new words (May '12) 28 min Sharlene45 2,147
Word Association (Mar '10) 28 min wichita-rick 20,379
One Word (Jan '09) 40 min skybobbie 16,237
What Turns You Off (Jun '11) 45 min skybobbie 7,396
Crystal_Clears Kitchen (Refurbished) 4 hr LBS 7,129
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 4 hr A Typical 56,717