Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 168545 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

muffy

Glasgow, UK

#107297 Dec 4, 2013
cancer suxs wrote:
Once and for all prove that any god is real. Or all creation stuff will remain opinion and myth.
Why is "creation stuff" deemed "opinion and myth" unless God is proved, but when "scientists" are asked to prove evolution they come back with "uh you can't prove a theory"?

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#107298 Dec 4, 2013
muffy wrote:
<quoted text>
Why is "creation stuff" deemed "opinion and myth" unless God is proved, but when "scientists" are asked to prove evolution they come back with "uh you can't prove a theory"?
Wrong, just wrong.

Science treats ALL theories as provisionally true, there is no absolute proof. Even for gravity. Yet ideas can be shown to be wrong. We can show that the claims of creationists are wrong and that all evidence supports evolution.

Though not "proven", you could say that evolution is "proven" as well as gravity, and you don't see anyone arguing for gravity. At least not for long and very very rarely form great heights, over a slab of cement.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#107299 Dec 4, 2013
To be fair cancer suxs should have been asking for evidence for God, not that God's existence be proven.
muffy

Glasgow, UK

#107300 Dec 4, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Science treats ALL theories as provisionally true, there is no absolute proof. Even for gravity. Yet ideas can be shown to be wrong. We can show that the claims of creationists are wrong and that all evidence supports evolution.
This makes more sense I suppose. So if all the evidence supports evolution, why is anyone still studying it? I'm pretty sure scientists aren't still dropping weights off the Tower of Pisa to see if gravity is still working.

Also, why is the personal testimony of the millions of people that have been touched by God dismissed and not taken as evidence of a God that chooses to act primarily through Man?

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#107301 Dec 4, 2013
muffy wrote:
<quoted text>
This makes more sense I suppose. So if all the evidence supports evolution, why is anyone still studying it? I'm pretty sure scientists aren't still dropping weights off the Tower of Pisa to see if gravity is still working.
Also, why is the personal testimony of the millions of people that have been touched by God dismissed and not taken as evidence of a God that chooses to act primarily through Man?
Good question. The answer is because we don't have all of the answers yet. And scientists are still studying gravity for the same reason. We don't have all of the answers there either.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#107302 Dec 4, 2013
muffy wrote:
<quoted text>
This makes more sense I suppose. So if all the evidence supports evolution, why is anyone still studying it? I'm pretty sure scientists aren't still dropping weights off the Tower of Pisa to see if gravity is still working.
Also, why is the personal testimony of the millions of people that have been touched by God dismissed and not taken as evidence of a God that chooses to act primarily through Man?
And for the second part of your post:

The reason personal testimony is disregarded is that it is not consistent. And all religions, all of them have the same sort of personal self contradicting testimony. If the testimony was reasonably consistent it might be of some use. It isn't.

And when any religious claims are looked at hard enough with reason they have found to be bogus, regardless of the religion involved.

“Just because it is possible”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

Doesn't mean it will happen.

#107303 Dec 4, 2013
JM_Brazil wrote:
<quoted text>
Rumor has it he was in a bind.
And way behind.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#107304 Dec 4, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>And way behind.
And lookin' for a soul to steal.

“Just because it is possible”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

Doesn't mean it will happen.

#107305 Dec 4, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
And lookin' for a soul to steal.
And willing to make a deal.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#107306 Dec 4, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>And willing to make a deal.
then it would behoove all young men to not play their violins in a manner called "sawing" at this time...

“Just because it is possible”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

Doesn't mean it will happen.

#107307 Dec 4, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>then it would behoove all young men to not play their violins in a manner called "sawing" at this time...
Indeed. Nor would playing it "hot" be recommended.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#107308 Dec 4, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>Indeed. Nor would playing it "hot" be recommended.
at least not near the old base of a tree in the Carya Genus.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#107309 Dec 4, 2013
muffy wrote:
<quoted text>
Why is "creation stuff" deemed "opinion and myth" unless God is proved, but when "scientists" are asked to prove evolution they come back with "uh you can't prove a theory"?
No, Muffy.

Nobody who has even the remotest knowledge of science says that.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#107310 Dec 4, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong, just wrong.
Science treats ALL theories as provisionally true, there is no absolute proof. Even for gravity. Yet ideas can be shown to be wrong. We can show that the claims of creationists are wrong and that all evidence supports evolution.
Though not "proven", you could say that evolution is "proven" as well as gravity, and you don't see anyone arguing for gravity. At least not for long and very very rarely form great heights, over a slab of cement.
"Concrete" - but pardon me. I quibble.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#107311 Dec 4, 2013
muffy wrote:
<quoted text>
This makes more sense I suppose. So if all the evidence supports evolution, why is anyone still studying it? I'm pretty sure scientists aren't still dropping weights off the Tower of Pisa to see if gravity is still working.
Also, why is the personal testimony of the millions of people that have been touched by God dismissed and not taken as evidence of a God that chooses to act primarily through Man?
Sorry, Muff, testing gravity has moved forward considerably. And the story of Galileo dropping cannonballs of the Leaning Tower is almost certainly apocryphal.

And, scientifically, "testimonial evidence" is no evidence at all - any more than a testimonial on a late-night commercial.
muffy

Macclesfield, UK

#107312 Dec 5, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>No, Muffy.
Nobody who has even the remotest knowledge of science says that.
Can you prove a scientific theory?
muffy

Macclesfield, UK

#107313 Dec 5, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Sorry, Muff, testing gravity has moved forward considerably. And the story of Galileo dropping cannonballs of the Leaning Tower is almost certainly apocryphal.
And, scientifically, "testimonial evidence" is no evidence at all - any more than a testimonial on a late-night commercial.
Shame, I like the story. It makes science seem accessible, as though an interested person could take part without needing even a moderately large hadron collider.

I understand why a few dozen testimonies might be rejected, but how can literally billions be ignored? How is it that the testimony of a dozen people can sentence a man to death in a court of law but billions can be dismissed as deranged, weak-willed kooks by scientists?

“Rising”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Milky Way

#107314 Dec 5, 2013
muffy wrote:
<quoted text>
Shame, I like the story. It makes science seem accessible, as though an interested person could take part without needing even a moderately large hadron collider.
I understand why a few dozen testimonies might be rejected, but how can literally billions be ignored? How is it that the testimony of a dozen people can sentence a man to death in a court of law but billions can be dismissed as deranged, weak-willed kooks by scientists?
2,000 years of failure to appear has it's effect on people with respect to evidence.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#107315 Dec 5, 2013
muffy wrote:
<quoted text>
Shame, I like the story. It makes science seem accessible, as though an interested person could take part without needing even a moderately large hadron collider.
I understand why a few dozen testimonies might be rejected, but how can literally billions be ignored? How is it that the testimony of a dozen people can sentence a man to death in a court of law but billions can be dismissed as deranged, weak-willed kooks by scientists?
science IS accessible. the fact that you even (almost) know what THE large hadron collider is, is testimony to this fact.

if only you were smart enough to take this readily available knowledge and use it properly...
cancer suxs

Owatonna, MN

#107316 Dec 5, 2013
muffy wrote:
<quoted text>
Why is "creation stuff" deemed "opinion and myth" unless God is proved, but when "scientists" are asked to prove evolution they come back with "uh you can't prove a theory"?
I could say frutu the island monster created the world...Wouldn't you want some proof he existed.

Evolution does have some proof. There is proof behind evolution.....Creation has zip zero zilch proof. In fact most of the proof of evolution proves creation is wrong.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 3 min ms_Sweeter 165,109
Change 1 letter game! (Nov '11) 7 min andet1987 4,770
News Heads Roll After Pilots Let Playmate Fly a Plane 10 min wichita-rick 4
+=Keep 1 Drop 1=+ 3 STACK (Mar '13) 10 min Camilla 8,573
CHANGE One letter CHANCE (Sep '08) 12 min andet1987 32,308
Best Way to Backup and Restore Samsung Galaxy D... 15 min shuiguobaobei 1
Word Association (Jun '10) 18 min wichita-rick 28,048
News Fight over gumbo spices leads to fatal stabbing... 32 min Christians In Nam... 15
BLOG, poetry, abstract thought, fantasy, play w... (Apr '08) 34 min KNIGHT DeVINE 5,135
News Bob Costas Makes a Weird, Racist, Un-Funny Comm... 4 hr Sublime1 6
Last Post Wins! (Aug '08) 4 hr Old Sam 140,786
More from around the web