Evolution vs. Creation

Full story: Best of New Orleans

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.
Comments
101,521 - 101,540 of 115,194 Comments Last updated 15 min ago

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#107177 Nov 28, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Jolene Blalock US a serious contender.
Owshit.

Okay, I'll call that a tie.

Level 7

The Borderland of Sol

#107178 Nov 28, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
So you are saying that Mudd would have made a fine Charismatic preacher.
"Fenton Harcourt Mudd!"

Laffin.

Level 7

The Borderland of Sol

#107179 Nov 28, 2013
"Harcourt Fenton", of course.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Lakeland, FL

#107180 Nov 28, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Oh, there's a band?
Might be.

;-)

Level 7

The Borderland of Sol

#107181 Nov 28, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Might be.
;-)
Hehehehe.

I never had much luck with those, as happens.

Since: May 08

Deltona Fla

#107182 Nov 28, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps, but as written the jury had not choice.
Of course a big part of the problem with this case is that it was not charged correctly due to political reasons. The DA was in an election and she wanted to look tough. She overcharged Zimmerman practically guaranteeing the states loss. The prosecution did not change their tactics until it was obvious that they had lost the 2nd degree murder charge. If they had started with reckless endangerment they might have had a chance. It was clear that it was not 2nd degree murder to almost everyone.
I agree about the DA's motivation. She was notorious as a right wing tough on crime politician. She always went with max charges for the negotiating position. That has been part of Right Wing politics in Florida since John Bush was elected Governor. Pretty much in step with the NRC. Most of her victims had shit public defenders so they copped pleas instead of going to court. But Zimmerman has pretty much proven his over aggressiveness in the short time since. Does anybody want to take bets on how long before he arrested again?

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#107183 Nov 28, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Easiest way to fillet fish - make a cut along the back, clear to the bone, after you clean 'em. Then grill 'em on both sides, wi' lemon juice and whatever else you like.
Lift the fish off the bones, when it's cooked.
oh, i'm pretty good at fileting the walleye and northern we catch, nice boneless filets.

of course the best fish, trout, need no fileting, just gut em, wrap em in foil and cook em right there streamside!

Level 9

Everett, WA

#107184 Nov 28, 2013
swampmudd wrote:
<quoted text>I agree about the DA's motivation. She was notorious as a right wing tough on crime politician. She always went with max charges for the negotiating position. That has been part of Right Wing politics in Florida since John Bush was elected Governor. Pretty much in step with the NRC. Most of her victims had shit public defenders so they copped pleas instead of going to court. But Zimmerman has pretty much proven his over aggressiveness in the short time since. Does anybody want to take bets on how long before he arrested again?
There are several changes in the Republican Party recently that have drive me away from them.

I was unaware of the political party of the DA. Over charging someone has always seemed to be a bad tactic to me. The DA is supposed to be after justice, not after the biggest sentence possible.

As far as Zimmerman goes, I never said that he was an angel. In fact I remember saying some rather nasty things about him. But the facts of this case seem to be that Martin decided to attack the wrong man.

Level 7

The Borderland of Sol

#107185 Nov 28, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>oh, i'm pretty good at fileting the walleye and northern we catch, nice boneless filets.
of course the best fish, trout, need no fileting, just gut em, wrap em in foil and cook em right there streamside!
Oh, been there, done that!

I used to live across a two-lane blacktop from Broadhead Creek, in PA. If not for the trees and the traffic, I coulda put a line in from my front yard.

Damn, I miss that.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#107186 Nov 28, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
There are several changes in the Republican Party recently that have drive me away from them.
I was unaware of the political party of the DA. Over charging someone has always seemed to be a bad tactic to me. The DA is supposed to be after justice, not after the biggest sentence possible.
As far as Zimmerman goes, I never said that he was an angel. In fact I remember saying some rather nasty things about him. But the facts of this case seem to be that Martin decided to attack the wrong man.
Both republicans and democrats both are a festering bucket of slime.
There's virtually no difference between the two. Only difference is the things they want to highlight or make emphasis over .
The largest difference between the two is only in foreign affairs, republicans pay more attention to abroad, while democrats focus in state. There seems to be a pattern though in the shift of power between the two, to keep people thinking there is a choice, when there is in reality very little.
I find little to like about either, they are all whores to the big banks, corps, and the MIC. The sad part is there is no third party with enough clout to challenge the monopoly. So they keep playing head games with the American people.

“Get Extreme or Go Home. ”

Since: Nov 13

United States

#107187 Nov 28, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you seen this one?

A Florida woman who was sentenced to 20 years in prison for firing a shot into the wall during a fight with her husband, who she said had abused her. She appealed and is now out on bond.

http://news.ca.msn.com/top-stories/florida-wo...

Level 9

Everett, WA

#107188 Nov 28, 2013
Extreme Ways wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you seen this one?
A Florida woman who was sentenced to 20 years in prison for firing a shot into the wall during a fight with her husband, who she said had abused her. She appealed and is now out on bond.
Interesting story. Of course a lot depends on the testimony. Who's story has the biggest holes. There is nowhere near enough information there to decide guilt or innocence on anyone.

United States

#107189 Nov 28, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting story. Of course a lot depends on the testimony. Who's story has the biggest holes. There is nowhere near enough information there to decide guilt or innocence on anyone.
She was in her home, was attacked by her ex husband who was under a restraining order and who she said had abused her. She fled to the garage, retrieved a gun but could not exit the garage because of a malfunctioning door. Goes back in the house and fires into the wall, a warning shot lets call it and gets 20 years. If she would have shot and killed him and plead to manslaughter she would have got less time.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#107190 Nov 28, 2013
Extreme Ways wrote:
<quoted text>
She was in her home, was attacked by her ex husband who was under a restraining order and who she said had abused her. She fled to the garage, retrieved a gun but could not exit the garage because of a malfunctioning door. Goes back in the house and fires into the wall, a warning shot lets call it and gets 20 years. If she would have shot and killed him and plead to manslaughter she would have got less time.
Hmm, interesting. Of course there is one thing that seems to indicate her guilt for Florida courts, she is African American.

Just kidding of course. Hopefully the courts are not that raciest there.

Still, how did he get into the house in the first place? Too many times both people violate a restraining order.

The punishment seems excessive to me since, as you pointed out, she would have got less if she killed him.

Something is wrong there.

Level 8

Location hidden

#107191 Nov 28, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>Hmm, interesting. Of course there is one thing that seems to indicate her guilt for Florida courts, she is African American.
Just kidding of course. Hopefully the courts are not that raciest there.
Still, how did he get into the house in the first place? Too many times both people violate a restraining order.
The punishment seems excessive to me since, as you pointed out, she would have got less if she killed him.
Something is wrong there.
She had moved out, came back thinking he was not at home. But she has been granted a new trial .

Based on the idea she was discriminated by race by the court.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/09/27/florida-...

United States

#107192 Nov 28, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> She had moved out, came back thinking he was not at home. But she has been granted a new trial .
Based on the idea she was discriminated by race by the court.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/09/27/florida-...
That is interesting. Your link tells a completely different story from the link I posted. Yours said she went out to her vehicle and got the gun. The link I posted said she ran into the garage got the gun but could not leave because the garage door was not working so had to go back in the house.

Level 8

Location hidden

#107193 Nov 28, 2013
Extreme Ways wrote:
<quoted text>
That is interesting. Your link tells a completely different story from the link I posted. Yours said she went out to her vehicle and got the gun. The link I posted said she ran into the garage got the gun but could not leave because the garage door was not working so had to go back in the house.
The trial transcript has nothing about a dysfunctional door, but the jury decided she could have simply left anytime. Instead of getting the gun, I think the sentence was too harsh. But at the same time I'm sick of the race card, while she may have been discriminated against , she was guilty
of discharging the weapon and putting those children in danger.
But 20 years is way to high a price to pay when she didn't even shoot anyone let alone kill someone. I've seen people kill others at their own home and get less time. A year would be a high price for just shooting a gun, which is basically what she did.
It's those over zealous prosecutors that use laws in way unintended that's the problem. Exactly the way they did the Gibson Guitar Co. It sorta makes you sick.

Level 7

The Borderland of Sol

#107194 Nov 29, 2013
Extreme Ways wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you seen this one?
I've been following that one with some interest.

One reason we used to teach "NEVER fire warning shots".

(Subtext: when the police get there, make sure the only story they're gonna hear is yours.)

Had she put two in his head, she'd possibly have never seen the inside of a jail.

Almost certainly not, had she been white.

“I started out with nothing”

Level 6

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#107195 Nov 29, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Jeri Ryan. Possibly the hottest entity ever poured into a body suit.
Canít say I really fancied her myself, but my hubby always got particularly amorous after and episode of Voyager, bring on the re-runs

Funny that Enterprise is currently re-running here and Joline Blalock has a similar effect.

I never really watched any of them, except some STNG, Patrick Stewart is weirdly hot, a presence not to be forgotten but I must say Iím really enjoying the re-run of enterpriseÖ
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#107197 Nov 29, 2013
(cue 70's guitar music)

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 2 min subliminal advert... 18,541
Dave's bar and grill,is now open. (May '13) 3 min David0407 4,863
Whatcha' doing? (Apr '12) 4 min Sublime1 6,633
BAN(N) the P0STER Above you !!! (Feb '14) 4 min Mechanic 1,828
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 13 min A TROLL NAMED SLACK 35,970
Fergson Police Dept. 19 min Mister_ E 359
Word Association (Mar '10) 19 min Jennifer Renee 15,980
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 26 min Times are a Changing 145,128
What's your tip for the day? 1 hr Brandiiiiiiii 800
Texas Governor Rick Perry Indicted 1 hr -Lea- 234
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Weird People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••