Evolution vs. Creation

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008. Full Story

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#107148 Nov 28, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>I grew up in the West of Ireland, and lived in Pennsylvania after that. I bloody loved trout fishing.
Now I'm in Florida - not a sodding trout stream in the state.
Though, I grant you, bass isn't bad.
Mac, if you are ever up here in the arrowhead region of minnesota, i would be happy to put you on a beautiful, babbling brook where we can still regularly catch 18"-24" native brook trout. the picture i currently have up is my GF snowshoeing up just such a creek.(the big brookies are a few miles hike further upstream...this is down by Lake Superior where you can touch both walls of the canyon and they tower 40' to 50' above....cool!)

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Lakeland, FL

#107149 Nov 28, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Case is closed, sorry it didn't go the way you thought it should.
Witnesses placed Zimmerman under Martin, a big factor.
Don't think it wasn't decided by a jury, I just happen to agree with them. It's you who don't , but everyone is entitled to their opinion.
Agreed. Though it seems clear that Zimmerman is a jackass.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#107150 Nov 28, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>Mac, if you are ever up here in the arrowhead region of minnesota, i would be happy to put you on a beautiful, babbling brook where we can still regularly catch 18"-24" native brook trout. the picture i currently have up is my GF snowshoeing up just such a creek.(the big brookies are a few miles hike further upstream...this is down by Lake Superior where you can touch both walls of the canyon and they tower 40' to 50' above....cool!)
Oh, MAAANN...

St. Croix valley

#107151 Nov 28, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Oh, MAAANN...
Do you fly fish? my skills in that are so marvelously mediocre that it is hard to describe. we usually just toss a worm on a hook or a little spinner (Swedish Pimples are my favorite lure for stream trout..) with 5' ultralight rods...

great fun!

Level 8

Lakeland, FL

#107152 Nov 28, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>Do you fly fish? my skills in that are so marvelously mediocre that it is hard to describe. we usually just toss a worm on a hook or a little spinner (Swedish Pimples are my favorite lure for stream trout..) with 5' ultralight rods...
great fun!
Swedish Pimples? Sound like a great name for a punk band.

St. Croix valley

#107153 Nov 28, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
it does, doesn't it?

here is a link:

http://lmgtfy.com/...

Since: May 08

Deltona Fla

#107154 Nov 28, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>ahhh, sticky water fishing. only tried it once and it was fun. i just have to say i prefer my clean inland water; never have liked salt water much. perhaps that is due to growing up on an inland sea of freshwater?
In the summer I used to visit my Grandfather who lived on a lake an hour west of Duluth. There were nice size bass and pike that we regularly put on the table. But I always made sure I was gone back to the land of year around green plants and brightly colored bikinis well before the first leaf changed color. I remember going up there once in May. It was still freeking cold. But what really impressed was how white a white man can actually get. I'm mean those people looked like they worked at a bakery and had flour free-4-all. After a week I was starting to lose my tan. It scared the hell out of me. Thought what they had might be contagious. But then the Sun came out and saved my life. Had a great summer and was even able to get by shirt off a lot of afternoons. But most mornings I started out in a sweater.

Level 7

The Borderland of Sol

#107155 Nov 28, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>Do you fly fish? my skills in that are so marvelously mediocre that it is hard to describe. we usually just toss a worm on a hook or a little spinner (Swedish Pimples are my favorite lure for stream trout..) with 5' ultralight rods...
great fun!
I've been known to knot a fly line around a barbed-wire fence, yes.

Laffin.

Deltona Fla

#107156 Nov 28, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>I've caught tarpon by accident. It's, erm, entertaining.
Like you, I try not to kill stuff I'm not gonna eat.
Unfortunately for the fish I have a big appetite and truly believe fish and chips to be one of the greatest inventions of mankind. I have had people tell they don't like fish, then try my fried catfish and had them come back for seconds and thirds. Also contrary to rumor, there is no scientific evidence that my shrimp dip is a powerful aphrodisiac. Even if people do have orgasms when they taste it.

Level 7

The Borderland of Sol

#107157 Nov 28, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Ever heard of a Royal Coachman?

Level 9

Everett, WA

#107158 Nov 28, 2013
swampmudd wrote:
<quoted text>That is my point exactly. Under Florida law the jury was only allowed to consider if Zimmerman was reasonable in believing he was in bodily or mortal danger "at the time he pulled his gun". What preceded was pretty much eliminated from consideration. That is why I believe that laws need to be written that consider provocation. It is also my belief that Zimmerman was guilty of either manslaughter or criminal negligence and that if he had not been over charged he would have been found guilty. It is common for prosecutors to run up the charges. This time they over played their hand because Zimmerman had a good lawyer and not a public defender.
Actually it wasn't. Zimmerman first followed Martin in his car and called a nonemergency police number to report what he felt was suspicious activity. While on the phone Martin came up to the car and Zimmerman closed his window to avoid a direct confrontation. He then followed Martin while still talking to the operator who said "Okay, we don't need you to do that" at which point Zimmerman said "Yeah" and you can hear in the recording that his breathing changed indicating that he had stopped trying to follow Martin.

At this point Martin had gotten away. No one was following him. He had more than enough time to get home. So what did he do instead? The evidence supported Zimmerman's claim that he was attacked. You can't claim self defense for Martin when it looks like he instigated the attack.

Level 7

The Borderland of Sol

#107159 Nov 28, 2013
swampmudd wrote:
<quoted text>Unfortunately for the fish I have a big appetite and truly believe fish and chips to be one of the greatest inventions of mankind. I have had people tell they don't like fish, then try my fried catfish and had them come back for seconds and thirds. Also contrary to rumor, there is no scientific evidence that my shrimp dip is a powerful aphrodisiac. Even if people do have orgasms when they taste it.
I need a new cast net.

Deltona Fla

#107160 Nov 28, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
great fun!
I cain't magin nobody fishen for a fly so you must be talking about Flying fish. snker snker Yeah they taste good to. It is actually the national dish of Barbados. They got fried flying fish, grilled flying fish, baked flying fish, flying fish soup, flying fish, chowder, flying fish ceviche, flying fish pizza. Am I starting to sound like Buba. We were out in a boat clipping along about 60 one night. I was in the left seat, the driver was in the right and a friend of ours was standing in the middle holding on to the windshield. He caught a flying fish across his face. It busted his nose and gave him two black eyes. But I did pick it up off the deck and fried it the next morning.

St. Croix valley

#107161 Nov 28, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>I've been known to knot a fly line around a barbed-wire fence, yes.
Laffin.
my best buddy once tied himself so well to a white cedar tree along the stream and the wind started blowing, i thought he was a marionette! he does tie a nice fly though...and in all honesty, he is far better with the long rod than i am...

St. Croix valley

#107162 Nov 28, 2013
swampmudd wrote:
<quoted text>Unfortunately for the fish I have a big appetite and truly believe fish and chips to be one of the greatest inventions of mankind. I have had people tell they don't like fish, then try my fried catfish and had them come back for seconds and thirds. Also contrary to rumor, there is no scientific evidence that my shrimp dip is a powerful aphrodisiac. Even if people do have orgasms when they taste it.
My Gf can make walleye or northern pike fillets into fish and chips that a lillipudlian would drool over...

Deltona Fla

#107163 Nov 28, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually it wasn't. Zimmerman first followed Martin in his car and called a nonemergency police number to report what he felt was suspicious activity. While on the phone Martin came up to the car and Zimmerman closed his window to avoid a direct confrontation. He then followed Martin while still talking to the operator who said "Okay, we don't need you to do that" at which point Zimmerman said "Yeah" and you can hear in the recording that his breathing changed indicating that he had stopped trying to follow Martin.
At this point Martin had gotten away. No one was following him. He had more than enough time to get home. So what did he do instead? The evidence supported Zimmerman's claim that he was attacked. You can't claim self defense for Martin when it looks like he instigated the attack.
Actually he huffed and puffed for almost 20 seconds after he said yeah. He did not stop huffing and puffing until Zimmerman told the operator, "he got away, they always do"

St. Croix valley

#107164 Nov 28, 2013
swampmudd wrote:
<quoted text>In the summer I used to visit my Grandfather who lived on a lake an hour west of Duluth. There were nice size bass and pike that we regularly put on the table. But I always made sure I was gone back to the land of year around green plants and brightly colored bikinis well before the first leaf changed color. I remember going up there once in May. It was still freeking cold. But what really impressed was how white a white man can actually get. I'm mean those people looked like they worked at a bakery and had flour free-4-all. After a week I was starting to lose my tan. It scared the hell out of me. Thought what they had might be contagious. But then the Sun came out and saved my life. Had a great summer and was even able to get by shirt off a lot of afternoons. But most mornings I started out in a sweater.
ice fisherman have tanned faces year round...

the cold up here keeps the riff-raff out. i guess you could say the same for your heat and humidity... i have worked int eh paving industry for the latter part of my working career, and even after often spending a day on a 140 f mat in 100 f temps, i still cannot handle the heat and humidity of the southeast US...

Level 8

Lakeland, FL

#107165 Nov 28, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Ever heard of a Royal Coachman?
Fly or band?

Deltona Fla

#107166 Nov 28, 2013
One of the problems with Zim's story was he claimed to be knocked to the ground by the intersection of the cross through and the rear walkway. It is almost 75 ft from there to where the resident saw Martin on top of Zimmerman just behind his back porch. That is a long ways for two men to travel while on the ground. Zim had to claim he was jumped at the intersection because if he was anywhere down the rear walkway then he was clearly again following Martin and not returning to his truck. But what the jury debates was AT THE TIME at the very second Zimmerman pulled his gun, did he have reason to believe himself in peril. In cases like this I believe the jury MUST look at a broader scope of the surrounding circumstances. Laws that prevent them from doing so need to be changed.

Deltona Fla

#107167 Nov 28, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>ice fisherman have tanned faces year round...
the cold up here keeps the riff-raff out. i guess you could say the same for your heat and humidity... i have worked int eh paving industry for the latter part of my working career, and even after often spending a day on a 140 f mat in 100 f temps, i still cannot handle the heat and humidity of the southeast US...
You should come down this time of year. It has cooled off a little and the mosquitoes are pretty much gone. I could never do paving. Don't mind the heat. Just can't stand the smell. I don't even want to think what that does to the lungs. I used to do iron work in the early 70s.It would get one 110 and over in the holes we were putting rebar in. Me and my partner would drink 5 gal of water in 6 hours and sweat every drop of it out. That cleans all the toxins out of you real fast. Of course that night we would retoxinate ourselves.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Should the St Patricks Day parade be open to th... 3 min DILF 23
NFL Football (Jul '10) 6 min dragoon70056 1,861
Let's Play Song Titles With One Word? 6 min _hellbilly_ 491
Obama Barrage! 7 min Hoosier Hillbilly 5
The BIZARRE reasons why men rape in India 7 min Iruth Bausec Algz... 1,127
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 8 min Roxie Darling 26,084
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 8 min _hellbilly_ 152,937
BAN(N) the P0STER Above you !!! (Feb '14) 36 min dragoon70056 3,064
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 2 hr eleanorigby 37,813
More from around the web