Evolution vs. Creation

There are 163812 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#107173 Nov 28, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
So you are saying that Mudd would have made a fine Charismatic preacher.
Absolutely he would. Should have gone to Bajor and become the galaxy's richest evangelist. All it takes is a little persona and the will to fleece a gullible audience.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#107174 Nov 28, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>my best buddy once tied himself so well to a white cedar tree along the stream and the wind started blowing, i thought he was a marionette! he does tie a nice fly though...and in all honesty, he is far better with the long rod than i am...
I'va also been known to become sufficiently ensnarled in a willow that it took a lighter to get my rig loose...

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#107175 Nov 28, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>My Gf can make walleye or northern pike fillets into fish and chips that a lillipudlian would drool over...
Easiest way to fillet fish - make a cut along the back, clear to the bone, after you clean 'em. Then grill 'em on both sides, wi' lemon juice and whatever else you like.

Lift the fish off the bones, when it's cooked.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#107176 Nov 28, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Fly or band?
Oh, there's a band?

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#107177 Nov 28, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Jolene Blalock US a serious contender.
Owshit.

Okay, I'll call that a tie.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#107178 Nov 28, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
So you are saying that Mudd would have made a fine Charismatic preacher.
"Fenton Harcourt Mudd!"

Laffin.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#107179 Nov 28, 2013
"Harcourt Fenton", of course.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Lakeland, FL

#107180 Nov 28, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Oh, there's a band?
Might be.

;-)

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#107181 Nov 28, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Might be.
;-)
Hehehehe.

I never had much luck with those, as happens.

Since: May 08

Deltona Fla

#107182 Nov 28, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps, but as written the jury had not choice.
Of course a big part of the problem with this case is that it was not charged correctly due to political reasons. The DA was in an election and she wanted to look tough. She overcharged Zimmerman practically guaranteeing the states loss. The prosecution did not change their tactics until it was obvious that they had lost the 2nd degree murder charge. If they had started with reckless endangerment they might have had a chance. It was clear that it was not 2nd degree murder to almost everyone.
I agree about the DA's motivation. She was notorious as a right wing tough on crime politician. She always went with max charges for the negotiating position. That has been part of Right Wing politics in Florida since John Bush was elected Governor. Pretty much in step with the NRC. Most of her victims had shit public defenders so they copped pleas instead of going to court. But Zimmerman has pretty much proven his over aggressiveness in the short time since. Does anybody want to take bets on how long before he arrested again?

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#107183 Nov 28, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Easiest way to fillet fish - make a cut along the back, clear to the bone, after you clean 'em. Then grill 'em on both sides, wi' lemon juice and whatever else you like.
Lift the fish off the bones, when it's cooked.
oh, i'm pretty good at fileting the walleye and northern we catch, nice boneless filets.

of course the best fish, trout, need no fileting, just gut em, wrap em in foil and cook em right there streamside!

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#107184 Nov 28, 2013
swampmudd wrote:
<quoted text>I agree about the DA's motivation. She was notorious as a right wing tough on crime politician. She always went with max charges for the negotiating position. That has been part of Right Wing politics in Florida since John Bush was elected Governor. Pretty much in step with the NRC. Most of her victims had shit public defenders so they copped pleas instead of going to court. But Zimmerman has pretty much proven his over aggressiveness in the short time since. Does anybody want to take bets on how long before he arrested again?
There are several changes in the Republican Party recently that have drive me away from them.

I was unaware of the political party of the DA. Over charging someone has always seemed to be a bad tactic to me. The DA is supposed to be after justice, not after the biggest sentence possible.

As far as Zimmerman goes, I never said that he was an angel. In fact I remember saying some rather nasty things about him. But the facts of this case seem to be that Martin decided to attack the wrong man.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#107185 Nov 28, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>oh, i'm pretty good at fileting the walleye and northern we catch, nice boneless filets.
of course the best fish, trout, need no fileting, just gut em, wrap em in foil and cook em right there streamside!
Oh, been there, done that!

I used to live across a two-lane blacktop from Broadhead Creek, in PA. If not for the trees and the traffic, I coulda put a line in from my front yard.

Damn, I miss that.

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#107186 Nov 28, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
There are several changes in the Republican Party recently that have drive me away from them.
I was unaware of the political party of the DA. Over charging someone has always seemed to be a bad tactic to me. The DA is supposed to be after justice, not after the biggest sentence possible.
As far as Zimmerman goes, I never said that he was an angel. In fact I remember saying some rather nasty things about him. But the facts of this case seem to be that Martin decided to attack the wrong man.
Both republicans and democrats both are a festering bucket of slime.
There's virtually no difference between the two. Only difference is the things they want to highlight or make emphasis over .
The largest difference between the two is only in foreign affairs, republicans pay more attention to abroad, while democrats focus in state. There seems to be a pattern though in the shift of power between the two, to keep people thinking there is a choice, when there is in reality very little.
I find little to like about either, they are all whores to the big banks, corps, and the MIC. The sad part is there is no third party with enough clout to challenge the monopoly. So they keep playing head games with the American people.

“Get Extreme or Go Home. ”

Since: Nov 13

United States

#107187 Nov 28, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
There are several changes in the Republican Party recently that have drive me away from them.
I was unaware of the political party of the DA. Over charging someone has always seemed to be a bad tactic to me. The DA is supposed to be after justice, not after the biggest sentence possible.
As far as Zimmerman goes, I never said that he was an angel. In fact I remember saying some rather nasty things about him. But the facts of this case seem to be that Martin decided to attack the wrong man.
Have you seen this one?

A Florida woman who was sentenced to 20 years in prison for firing a shot into the wall during a fight with her husband, who she said had abused her. She appealed and is now out on bond.

http://news.ca.msn.com/top-stories/florida-wo...

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#107188 Nov 28, 2013
Extreme Ways wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you seen this one?
A Florida woman who was sentenced to 20 years in prison for firing a shot into the wall during a fight with her husband, who she said had abused her. She appealed and is now out on bond.
http://news.ca.msn.com/top-stories/florida-wo...
Interesting story. Of course a lot depends on the testimony. Who's story has the biggest holes. There is nowhere near enough information there to decide guilt or innocence on anyone.

“Get Extreme or Go Home. ”

Since: Nov 13

United States

#107189 Nov 28, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting story. Of course a lot depends on the testimony. Who's story has the biggest holes. There is nowhere near enough information there to decide guilt or innocence on anyone.
She was in her home, was attacked by her ex husband who was under a restraining order and who she said had abused her. She fled to the garage, retrieved a gun but could not exit the garage because of a malfunctioning door. Goes back in the house and fires into the wall, a warning shot lets call it and gets 20 years. If she would have shot and killed him and plead to manslaughter she would have got less time.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#107190 Nov 28, 2013
Extreme Ways wrote:
<quoted text>
She was in her home, was attacked by her ex husband who was under a restraining order and who she said had abused her. She fled to the garage, retrieved a gun but could not exit the garage because of a malfunctioning door. Goes back in the house and fires into the wall, a warning shot lets call it and gets 20 years. If she would have shot and killed him and plead to manslaughter she would have got less time.
Hmm, interesting. Of course there is one thing that seems to indicate her guilt for Florida courts, she is African American.

Just kidding of course. Hopefully the courts are not that raciest there.

Still, how did he get into the house in the first place? Too many times both people violate a restraining order.

The punishment seems excessive to me since, as you pointed out, she would have got less if she killed him.

Something is wrong there.

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#107191 Nov 28, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>Hmm, interesting. Of course there is one thing that seems to indicate her guilt for Florida courts, she is African American.
Just kidding of course. Hopefully the courts are not that raciest there.
Still, how did he get into the house in the first place? Too many times both people violate a restraining order.
The punishment seems excessive to me since, as you pointed out, she would have got less if she killed him.
Something is wrong there.
She had moved out, came back thinking he was not at home. But she has been granted a new trial .

Based on the idea she was discriminated by race by the court.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/09/27/florida-...

“Get Extreme or Go Home. ”

Since: Nov 13

United States

#107192 Nov 28, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> She had moved out, came back thinking he was not at home. But she has been granted a new trial .
Based on the idea she was discriminated by race by the court.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/09/27/florida-...
That is interesting. Your link tells a completely different story from the link I posted. Yours said she went out to her vehicle and got the gun. The link I posted said she ran into the garage got the gun but could not leave because the garage door was not working so had to go back in the house.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Change-one-of-six-letters (Dec '12) 22 min beatlesinafog 5,460
The Song Title Game (Jul '10) 26 min beatlesinafog 15,605
Create "short sentences using the last word" (Aug '12) 29 min Hoosier Hillbilly 8,627
Last Post Wins! (Aug '08) 40 min beatlesinafog 140,443
*Sad music/sad themes Thread* 49 min Wolftracks 175
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 54 min Hoosier Hillbilly 40,677
Things that make life eaiser... 55 min Parden Pard 591
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 1 hr I Am No One_ 162,834
Poll Middle East Solutions 2 hr Hoosier Hillbilly 26
News Cremains wash up on Scotland shoreline and you ... 9 hr Crystal_Clear722 5
More from around the web