Evolution vs. Creation

There are 20 comments on the Jan 6, 2011, Best of New Orleans story titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

“Get Extreme or Go Home. ”

Since: Nov 13

United States

#107061 Nov 27, 2013
swampmudd wrote:
<quoted text>Accidental discharge is probably the number one cause of pregnancy.
I would say the discharged was planned. Just shot indoors instead of outdoors.

Level 5

Since: Apr 11

North Hollywood, CA

#107062 Nov 27, 2013
Come on, there is no real debate. Creationism is Bronze Age myth. Evolution is science.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#107063 Nov 27, 2013
Six_Of_One wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for the thoughtful reply. I am seeing so many p[eople on these forums really know there stuff (and can write the heck of it much better than me).
No worries. Sometimes the banter on here can get a bit catty or repetitive, but on the other hand there are some knowledgeable folks on here, some of whom have genuine creds to back 'em up. Chimney knows his stuff, Dogen's a psychiatrist, FossilBob and Subduction Zone are geologists, Darwin's Stepchild is the mathman, our pal Katydid's a biologist, Nuggin's a screenwriter who happens to have an anthropology degree, and Polymath-257 is our maths and physics guru.

Me I'm just a layman who passed his basic science exams and understands the scientific method. But if I've learned a bit over the years it's from the guys around here who are a lot smarter than me. Shame that a couple I've mentioned have dropped off the radar for a bit; real life sometimes takes precedence.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#107064 Nov 27, 2013
Six_Of_One wrote:
<quoted text>
I haven't heard the six of nine saying before, maybe it's the same sort of thing. Not sure.
I think he meant Seven Of Nine. Eye candy for guys on Star Trek. Six of Nine could be her long lost brother...

And did we mention it can help to be a geek?

:-p
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#107065 Nov 27, 2013
Rose_NoHo wrote:
Come on, there is no real debate. Creationism is Bronze Age myth. Evolution is science.
Meh, obvious to everyone except creationists. Far as the scientific community is concerned they're still waiting for someone to bring an opposing *scientific* view to the table. The fundies haven't been able to do that for thousands of years.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Lakeland, FL

#107066 Nov 27, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
In some cases I agree. But in some cases it might be the only way to keep some species going because of constant hunting.
Rough with the smooth.
:-/
http://www.livescience.com/40945-hunt-club-au...

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#107067 Nov 27, 2013
swampmudd wrote:
<quoted text>Accidental discharge is probably the number one cause of pregnancy.
touche! but i would have to say that would be one hell of a shot, or it wasn't really accidental... know what i mean?

St. Croix valley

#107069 Nov 27, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
You canít have it all and I am sure you techy gf is quite happy about that
actually, she thinks Kaley is quite hot...

thanx again for the help.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#107070 Nov 27, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>no zoos were needed to bring the California Condor back from certain extinction.
you should go hunting with Dick Cheney, they release the animals right in front of you and all you have to do is shoot your friend in the face!
Sorry, Woodie, but you're mistaken there.

According to the Hopper Mountain National Wildlife Refuge,

" Cooperators include the U.S. Forest Service, San Diego Wild Animal Park, Los Angeles Zoo, Oregon Zoo, California Department of Fish and Game, the Peregrine Fund, Ventana Wildlife Society, the Center for Scientific Investigation and Graduate Studies in Ensenada, La Secretaria de Medio Ambiente y Recursos Naturales (SEMARNAP), National Park Service at Pinnacles National Monument, Santa Barbara Zoo, the Chapultepec Zoo in Mexico City and many others. The Recovery Program is currently focusing its efforts on the captive-breeding and reintroduction of California condors to the wild in the hopes of establishing a self-sustaining population."...

Here's a link to the whole thing: http://www.fws.gov/hoppermountain/cacorecover...

Level 7

The Borderland of Sol

#107071 Nov 27, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>Cheney's was not an accidental discharge, it was an irresponsible discharge. criminal discharge in most states. if that had happened in my state, he would have been charged with a crime.
would your bagging a lion on a game farm be hunting for food?
If by "game farm" you mean what we call a "canned hunt" no.
I vehemently oppose those.

In a large piece of SA or Botswana, where the animals are free to roam where they will, and the hunting fees are astronomical, I don't have a problem.

That's what supports the locals and preserves the wildlife in the first place.

St. Croix valley

#107072 Nov 27, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Sorry, Woodie, but you're mistaken there.
According to the Hopper Mountain National Wildlife Refuge,
" Cooperators include the U.S. Forest Service, San Diego Wild Animal Park, Los Angeles Zoo, Oregon Zoo, California Department of Fish and Game, the Peregrine Fund, Ventana Wildlife Society, the Center for Scientific Investigation and Graduate Studies in Ensenada, La Secretaria de Medio Ambiente y Recursos Naturales (SEMARNAP), National Park Service at Pinnacles National Monument, Santa Barbara Zoo, the Chapultepec Zoo in Mexico City and many others. The Recovery Program is currently focusing its efforts on the captive-breeding and reintroduction of California condors to the wild in the hopes of establishing a self-sustaining population."...
Here's a link to the whole thing: http://www.fws.gov/hoppermountain/cacorecover...
yes, the zoos were very useful but a zoo was not needed to keep that species alive, was it?

for other species, we know how to protect their habitat, make hinting them illegal, etc, etc.

we certainly cannot prevent all species from becoming extinct, but in no way are zoos needed for any attempt of that.

Level 7

The Borderland of Sol

#107073 Nov 27, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>i have never had a firearm discharge except when i meant it to and in the direction i meant it to...
i have been hunting for just shy of half a century now...
There, we agree. Silly bastard should have known what was in front of his muzzle.

St. Croix valley

#107074 Nov 27, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>There, we agree. Silly bastard should have known what was in front of his muzzle.
since i moved up into the woods here in northern MN, i have come to realize how great the number of untrained, undisciplined hunters really is. i used to ascribe to the "a few bad apples' theory...

that theory does not hold up to factual, real world data, sad to say....

St. Croix valley

#107075 Nov 27, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>If by "game farm" you mean what we call a "canned hunt" no.
I vehemently oppose those.
In a large piece of SA or Botswana, where the animals are free to roam where they will, and the hunting fees are astronomical, I don't have a problem.
That's what supports the locals and preserves the wildlife in the first place.
yes, that would be much like our current state DNRs managing the hunting and fishing resources we have.

i saw a stat the other day that there were an estimated 300,000-500,000 deer in the US before management of them by europeans. now there are around 25 million or so...

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#107076 Nov 27, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
These rhinos are in a huge field with giraffes as well. At least 10 acres I would say, plenty of room to stretch their legs. Not exactly "born free" but a pretty fair shake for the critters.
What does a Rhino do? lol

Level 7

The Borderland of Sol

#107077 Nov 27, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>since i moved up into the woods here in northern MN, i have come to realize how great the number of untrained, undisciplined hunters really is. i used to ascribe to the "a few bad apples' theory...
that theory does not hold up to factual, real world data, sad to say....
Alas, you are correct.

And I used to be a pro firearms trainer.

Level 7

The Borderland of Sol

#107078 Nov 27, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>yes, that would be much like our current state DNRs managing the hunting and fishing resources we have.
i saw a stat the other day that there were an estimated 300,000-500,000 deer in the US before management of them by europeans. now there are around 25 million or so...
I'd not seen that, but I have no difficulty believing it.

Remember that township in Connecticut that banned hunting entirely? Th die-off was gruesome.

Since: May 08

Deltona Fla

#107079 Nov 27, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>touche! but i would have to say that would be one hell of a shot, or it wasn't really accidental... know what i mean?
With Cheney it was not an AD. But it was OK because the guy he shot was a lawyer.

St. Croix valley

#107080 Nov 27, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>I'd not seen that, but I have no difficulty believing it.
Remember that township in Connecticut that banned hunting entirely? Th die-off was gruesome.
deer love humans, we grow tasty plants for them to eat. they really love my hostas... stupid garden trampling meatbags....

St. Croix valley

#107081 Nov 27, 2013
swampmudd wrote:
<quoted text>With Cheney it was not an AD. But it was OK because the guy he shot was a lawyer.
again, regardles of who he shot, in many states he would have been charged with a crime. apparently in TX it is OK to shoot other people...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
motorcycle traveling stories 4 min Harley Homely 555
Let's Play Song Titles With One Word? 5 min MrsGladToBeMe 832
Word association (Jun '07) 7 min beatlesinafog 2,842
+=Keep 1 Drop 1=+ 3 STACK (Mar '13) 8 min Hoosier Hillbilly 8,022
hoosier hillbilly (Sep '12) 9 min Princess Hey 1,755
Word Association (Mar '10) 11 min beatlesinafog 17,004
Change "1" letter =ONLY= (Oct '12) 14 min beatlesinafog 5,484
Things that make life eaiser... 32 min Princess Hey 96
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 36 min I Am No One_ 161,412
Whatcha' doing? (Apr '12) 1 hr MrsGladToBeMe 8,337