Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 173636 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#107052 Nov 27, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>no zoos were needed to bring the California Condor back from certain extinction.
you should go hunting with Dick Cheney, they release the animals right in front of you and all you have to do is shoot your friend in the face!
Everyone has one AD (Accidental Discharge).

I had mine 35 years ago, when I wa quite young...

That was when hunting was a way of getting food.

Since: Nov 13

Location hidden

#107053 Nov 27, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
It appeared to be quite appropriate, as the 'answer' was just as good.
<quoted text>
If one is satisfied that someone did something, somehow, somewhere at sometime then I suppose so.
<quoted text>
There doesn't have to be a conflict, as with religious beliefs you are free to believe in whatever you wish. There are even some scientists who accept evolution, and their religious beliefs are that God was resonsible for life and the universe. Science can't validate the religious side of things of course but if that's not a worry for you then that's okay.
On the other hand there are those whose religious beliefs are more important than reality itself. Science shows us one thing but they say it's like another because their god did it differently. Bohart for example rejects both evolution and abiogenesis because he places limits on an entity which creates universes as a hobby for fun. If such a being exists there is no reason it could not have used both chemical abiogenesis and evolution to get us where we are today.
But nay he say, life MUST have come about via magical poofing out of pile of dirt, spare rib and a talking snake - I mean, lizard. All because nothing must contradict his old religious book written by ancient goat-herders who thought the Earth was flat. If he wants to believe The Flinstones is a science documentary, that's fine. But as long as he doesn't teach it in public schools, as not only is it stupid, but also illegal. Whereas at least with evolution, contrary to his anti-reality claims, it can be scientifically demonstrated.
Thank you for the thoughtful reply. I am seeing so many p[eople on these forums really know there stuff (and can write the heck of it much better than me).

Location hidden

#107054 Nov 27, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Just wondering, any relation to Six of Nine?
I haven't heard the six of nine saying before, maybe it's the same sort of thing. Not sure.
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
If I ask the question "What is an example of a commonly accepted delusion?", Creation is a valid answer.
Of course it is. That was my point - it may be incorrect or imcomplete in that it doesn't offer any proof, but it is an answer.
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
...Any number lower than zero on a number line is an unreal number. This corresponds to a biblical date line in that many accounts lower than 33 AD are also unreal.
I totally disagree, sorry! Real numbers are all rational and irrerational numbers combined - that includes the negative numbers.
I have never heard of anyone saying dates below 33 AD as being unreal - are you being sarcastic :-)?

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#107055 Nov 27, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Everyone has one AD (Accidental Discharge).
Cheney's was not an accidental discharge, it was an irresponsible discharge. criminal discharge in most states. if that had happened in my state, he would have been charged with a crime.

would your bagging a lion on a game farm be hunting for food?

St. Croix valley

#107056 Nov 27, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
i have never had a firearm discharge except when i meant it to and in the direction i meant it to...

i have been hunting for just shy of half a century now...

“I started out with nothing”

Level 6

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#107057 Nov 27, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>on the downside, i no longer get links on the bottom of the page to "the 10 hottest pictures of Kaley Cuoco" or "the hottest NFL cheerleaders on the web"...
frowny face.... ;(
You canít have it all and I am sure you techy gf is quite happy about that

Since: May 08

Deltona Fla

#107058 Nov 27, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Just wondering, any relation to Six of Nine?
If I ask the question "What is an example of a commonly accepted delusion?", Creation is a valid answer.
Any number lower than zero on a number line is an unreal number. This corresponds to a biblical date line in that many accounts lower than 33 AD are also unreal.
That is one of the dumbest things I have heard. Zero is merely a starting point. You can go in either direction from it. On the Celsius scale water freezes at zero. Does that mean it can not get any colder than that?

Since: May 08

Deltona Fla

#107059 Nov 27, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
Accidental discharge is probably the number one cause of pregnancy.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#107060 Nov 27, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>yeah, i have issues with zoos, i'm certainly not a PETA member or anything like that, but i haven't been able to enjoy going to a zoo for over a decade now. seeing those beautiful animals that roamed the vast savannahs or plains or woods freely, or even the oceans, stuck in little cages or a couple of acres of habitat or what is basically a fishbowl for the latter just makes me feel sorry for them. like a jailor instead of an interested viewer. not sure if we actually need zoos with today's ability for all to view these great animals in the wild.
just my take on it...
In some cases I agree. But in some cases it might be the only way to keep some species going because of constant hunting.

Rough with the smooth.

:-/

“Get Extreme or Go Home. ”

United States

#107061 Nov 27, 2013
swampmudd wrote:
<quoted text>Accidental discharge is probably the number one cause of pregnancy.
I would say the discharged was planned. Just shot indoors instead of outdoors.

Level 5

Since: Apr 11

North Hollywood, CA

#107062 Nov 27, 2013
Come on, there is no real debate. Creationism is Bronze Age myth. Evolution is science.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#107063 Nov 27, 2013
Six_Of_One wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for the thoughtful reply. I am seeing so many p[eople on these forums really know there stuff (and can write the heck of it much better than me).
No worries. Sometimes the banter on here can get a bit catty or repetitive, but on the other hand there are some knowledgeable folks on here, some of whom have genuine creds to back 'em up. Chimney knows his stuff, Dogen's a psychiatrist, FossilBob and Subduction Zone are geologists, Darwin's Stepchild is the mathman, our pal Katydid's a biologist, Nuggin's a screenwriter who happens to have an anthropology degree, and Polymath-257 is our maths and physics guru.

Me I'm just a layman who passed his basic science exams and understands the scientific method. But if I've learned a bit over the years it's from the guys around here who are a lot smarter than me. Shame that a couple I've mentioned have dropped off the radar for a bit; real life sometimes takes precedence.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#107064 Nov 27, 2013
Six_Of_One wrote:
<quoted text>
I haven't heard the six of nine saying before, maybe it's the same sort of thing. Not sure.
I think he meant Seven Of Nine. Eye candy for guys on Star Trek. Six of Nine could be her long lost brother...

And did we mention it can help to be a geek?

:-p
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#107065 Nov 27, 2013
Rose_NoHo wrote:
Come on, there is no real debate. Creationism is Bronze Age myth. Evolution is science.
Meh, obvious to everyone except creationists. Far as the scientific community is concerned they're still waiting for someone to bring an opposing *scientific* view to the table. The fundies haven't been able to do that for thousands of years.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Lakeland, FL

#107066 Nov 27, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
In some cases I agree. But in some cases it might be the only way to keep some species going because of constant hunting.
Rough with the smooth.
:-/
http://www.livescience.com/40945-hunt-club-au...

St. Croix valley

#107067 Nov 27, 2013
swampmudd wrote:
<quoted text>Accidental discharge is probably the number one cause of pregnancy.
touche! but i would have to say that would be one hell of a shot, or it wasn't really accidental... know what i mean?

St. Croix valley

#107069 Nov 27, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
You canít have it all and I am sure you techy gf is quite happy about that
actually, she thinks Kaley is quite hot...

thanx again for the help.

Level 7

The Borderland of Sol

#107070 Nov 27, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>no zoos were needed to bring the California Condor back from certain extinction.
you should go hunting with Dick Cheney, they release the animals right in front of you and all you have to do is shoot your friend in the face!
Sorry, Woodie, but you're mistaken there.

According to the Hopper Mountain National Wildlife Refuge,

" Cooperators include the U.S. Forest Service, San Diego Wild Animal Park, Los Angeles Zoo, Oregon Zoo, California Department of Fish and Game, the Peregrine Fund, Ventana Wildlife Society, the Center for Scientific Investigation and Graduate Studies in Ensenada, La Secretaria de Medio Ambiente y Recursos Naturales (SEMARNAP), National Park Service at Pinnacles National Monument, Santa Barbara Zoo, the Chapultepec Zoo in Mexico City and many others. The Recovery Program is currently focusing its efforts on the captive-breeding and reintroduction of California condors to the wild in the hopes of establishing a self-sustaining population."...

Here's a link to the whole thing: http://www.fws.gov/hoppermountain/cacorecover...

Level 7

The Borderland of Sol

#107071 Nov 27, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>Cheney's was not an accidental discharge, it was an irresponsible discharge. criminal discharge in most states. if that had happened in my state, he would have been charged with a crime.
would your bagging a lion on a game farm be hunting for food?
If by "game farm" you mean what we call a "canned hunt" no.
I vehemently oppose those.

In a large piece of SA or Botswana, where the animals are free to roam where they will, and the hunting fees are astronomical, I don't have a problem.

That's what supports the locals and preserves the wildlife in the first place.

St. Croix valley

#107072 Nov 27, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Sorry, Woodie, but you're mistaken there.
According to the Hopper Mountain National Wildlife Refuge,
" Cooperators include the U.S. Forest Service, San Diego Wild Animal Park, Los Angeles Zoo, Oregon Zoo, California Department of Fish and Game, the Peregrine Fund, Ventana Wildlife Society, the Center for Scientific Investigation and Graduate Studies in Ensenada, La Secretaria de Medio Ambiente y Recursos Naturales (SEMARNAP), National Park Service at Pinnacles National Monument, Santa Barbara Zoo, the Chapultepec Zoo in Mexico City and many others. The Recovery Program is currently focusing its efforts on the captive-breeding and reintroduction of California condors to the wild in the hopes of establishing a self-sustaining population."...
Here's a link to the whole thing: http://www.fws.gov/hoppermountain/cacorecover...
yes, the zoos were very useful but a zoo was not needed to keep that species alive, was it?

for other species, we know how to protect their habitat, make hinting them illegal, etc, etc.

we certainly cannot prevent all species from becoming extinct, but in no way are zoos needed for any attempt of that.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 4 min Crazy Jae 169,405
Poll I love you because.............. (Mar '09) 4 min KNIGHT DeVINE 4,598
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 21 min Hot 98 43,620
Interesting Quotes (Jun '11) 29 min Old Sam 14,814
Last Word is First Word (no "breast" word please) 31 min Old Sam 630
Just start naming actors and actresses (Sep '11) 34 min Old Sam 3,077
CHANGE One letter CHANCE (Sep '08) 36 min Old Sam 32,733
Poll What features would you like in a girl? (Feb '13) 46 min Another Grey Day 173
2015: "Make a Story/ 6 Words Only: 2 hr Mechanic 2,467
JUST SAY SOMETHING. Whatever comes to mind!! (Aug '09) 3 hr KNIGHT DeVINE 29,714
More from around the web