Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 223194 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#107083 Nov 27, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>deer love humans, we grow tasty plants for them to eat. they really love my hostas... stupid garden trampling meatbags....
And they taste good in return.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#107084 Nov 27, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
And they taste good in return.
yes they do! moose are the tastiest of the deer family, in my humble opinion. sadly, the moose in MN will most likely be gone within my lifetime...

oh well, 300 years ago they weren't here, the Caribou were. an everchanging world we live in....but i will still miss my moose, it is incredible to come upon one of them while hiking, biking, snowshoeing, skiing, even driving, etc, etc... beautiful, huge animals!

Since: May 08

Deltona Fla

#107085 Nov 27, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>again, regardles of who he shot, in many states he would have been charged with a crime. apparently in TX it is OK to shoot other people...
Every state has it's own laws. In Florida it is ok to shoot someone if they are wearing a hoodie

Level 9

Everett, WA

#107086 Nov 27, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>yes they do! moose are the tastiest of the deer family, in my humble opinion. sadly, the moose in MN will most likely be gone within my lifetime...
oh well, 300 years ago they weren't here, the Caribou were. an everchanging world we live in....but i will still miss my moose, it is incredible to come upon one of them while hiking, biking, snowshoeing, skiing, even driving, etc, etc... beautiful, huge animals!
Since Moose have always been only from northern Minnesota I never go a chance to eat them. Now, I have had some very tasty grain and alfalfa fed deer. Not on purpose of course, the deer just freeload.

St. Croix valley

#107087 Nov 27, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Since Moose have always been only from northern Minnesota I never go a chance to eat them. Now, I have had some very tasty grain and alfalfa fed deer. Not on purpose of course, the deer just freeload.
darn democrats!

St. Croix valley

#107088 Nov 27, 2013
swampmudd wrote:
<quoted text>Every state has it's own laws. In Florida it is ok to shoot someone if they are wearing a hoodie
isn't that dependent on who shoots whom?

“Merry Christmas”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

Happy New Year

#107089 Nov 27, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmm, I used to hunt but only did so for about five years at the most. And then I did not hunt too terribly much, most squirrel in Minnesota. I don't know if I very had an AD. One of the first times I went squirrel hunting it was with too many people and the first squirrel that we saw earned a salvo of shots from .22's to 12 gauge shot guns. It was almost straight over head. I think the little bugger just hugged the limb he was on for dear life. All that came down was leaves. After that I hunted alone and with a .22 and had fairly good success. It was not long before I could get enough squirrels for a meal for our family. It was not a regular diet, but my brothers and parents seemed to enjoy it.
I remember my best shot and my worst shot. The closest I had to an AD was when we were target shooting with some friends of my brother and he asked me if I would like to shoot his gun. It was an over/under .22/410 magnum. We were plinking away with .22's at the time and that is what I thought he handed me. He had switched it to the 410 magnum with a three inch shell in it. Now I have shot 12 gauge with no problem at all, of course I was ready for it. I was holding the gun as if it were a .22 and when it fired that magnum shell the kick startled me enough that I dropped the gun. Everyone laughed at me, but it was the other guys gun in the dirt.
That being said, once someone has hunted for at least one season there is no real good reason for an AD. Mistakes with firearms are too final.
Oh, you guys are talking about shooting. I had a story, but never mind.

“Merry Christmas”

Level 9

Happy New Year

#107090 Nov 27, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>isn't that dependent on who shoots whom?
Dead guys make terrible witnesses, are willing to take the blame and they can't sue.

“Merry Christmas”

Level 9

Happy New Year

#107091 Nov 27, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>again, regardles of who he shot, in many states he would have been charged with a crime. apparently in TX it is OK to shoot other people...
I hear that in Texas you get a free gun with every purchase. Purchase what, you may ask. Anything, even guns.

You pay for the first person you shoot and the rest are free.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#107092 Nov 27, 2013
swampmudd wrote:
<quoted text>Every state has it's own laws. In Florida it is ok to shoot someone if they are wearing a hoodie
I don't want to bring that case up again. I followed it pretty closely and it looked like the jury got the decision right.

I won't be able to dig it up but there was an almost identical case where a black man shot a white man. He got off too. And the family of the dead boy thought that a terrible injustice had been done in that case.

Moral of the story, don't beat up a crazy person whether cracker or a word that would set off the robomod here when you could avoid the confrontation.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

The Borderland of Sol

#107093 Nov 27, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmm, I used to hunt but only did so for about five years at the most. And then I did not hunt too terribly much, most squirrel in Minnesota. I don't know if I very had an AD. One of the first times I went squirrel hunting it was with too many people and the first squirrel that we saw earned a salvo of shots from .22's to 12 gauge shot guns. It was almost straight over head. I think the little bugger just hugged the limb he was on for dear life. All that came down was leaves. After that I hunted alone and with a .22 and had fairly good success. It was not long before I could get enough squirrels for a meal for our family. It was not a regular diet, but my brothers and parents seemed to enjoy it.
I remember my best shot and my worst shot. The closest I had to an AD was when we were target shooting with some friends of my brother and he asked me if I would like to shoot his gun. It was an over/under .22/410 magnum. We were plinking away with .22's at the time and that is what I thought he handed me. He had switched it to the 410 magnum with a three inch shell in it. Now I have shot 12 gauge with no problem at all, of course I was ready for it. I was holding the gun as if it were a .22 and when it fired that magnum shell the kick startled me enough that I dropped the gun. Everyone laughed at me, but it was the other guys gun in the dirt.
That being said, once someone has hunted for at least one season there is no real good reason for an AD. Mistakes with firearms are too final.
Believe me, if you'd ever had an AD, you'd remember it. It's a life-altering event.

I hunted rabbit, squirrel and deer in Ireland, England and Pennsylvania - we won't mention the pheaasants or the slingshot...

“Merry Christmas”

Level 9

Happy New Year

#107094 Nov 27, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Believe me, if you'd ever had an AD, you'd remember it. It's a life-altering event.
I hunted rabbit, squirrel and deer in Ireland, England and Pennsylvania - we won't mention the pheaasants or the slingshot...
I have never had a firearm accidentally discharge either. I was once hunting with a friend and he wanted to try my 12ga. to see how it felt. It made the oddest sound when he fired it, so I stopped him and looked it over. He had fed in a 20ga. shell without even thinking about it and it fired in my shotgun and the case lodged about a third of the way up the barrel. It is fortunate I was paying close attention and recognized the unusual sounding shot.

Now my father always warned us about what he called "cook off". When you are shooting so frequently that heat building up in the gun will ignite the powder and cause a round to discharge, but I never experienced that.

St. Croix valley

#107095 Nov 27, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't want to bring that case up again. I followed it pretty closely and it looked like the jury got the decision right.
I won't be able to dig it up but there was an almost identical case where a black man shot a white man. He got off too. And the family of the dead boy thought that a terrible injustice had been done in that case.
Moral of the story, don't beat up a crazy person whether cracker or a word that would set off the robomod here when you could avoid the confrontation.
yes, the jury did get it right, as they could not prove beyond doubt what happened.

chasing after someone to start a fight and then shooting them when you are losing that fight is not standing your ground...

Level 9

Everett, WA

#107096 Nov 27, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>yes, the jury did get it right, as they could not prove beyond doubt what happened.
chasing after someone to start a fight and then shooting them when you are losing that fight is not standing your ground...
But he never used the stand your ground law. His claim for that case was always self defense. And they had very good evidence for that.

And Treyvon could not claim "stand your ground" either. He ran away, had plenty of time to go home, and attacked Zimmerman. He was the instigator of the actual attack. Regretting running away in the first place is not valid grounds for attacking someone.

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#107097 Nov 27, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>who ever said anything about saving the planet?!? i've always found that saying funny as the planet will always survive, it is the animal species on it that are variable...
Figure of speech.

Do you control the parts of the world most critical to species preservation? What are you going to tell indonesians and brazilians and africans about managing their resources? They want ranches and palm oil plantations and even sustenance farming. Their populations are growing fast. At least they are developing fast too and hopefully the economic griowth will put them in the slow pop growth curve before they kill everything. Its not under your control or mine or even our "rich" governments'.

St. Croix valley

#107098 Nov 27, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
But he never used the stand your ground law. His claim for that case was always self defense. And they had very good evidence for that.
And Treyvon could not claim "stand your ground" either. He ran away, had plenty of time to go home, and attacked Zimmerman. He was the instigator of the actual attack. Regretting running away in the first place is not valid grounds for attacking someone.
and self defense also doesn't include starting a fight and then pulling a gun when you lose that fight. if zimmerman had stayed in his car, we would not even know their names...

how do you know treyvon instigated the attack? Zim actually admitted to the 911 operator he was following the kid and was told to not continue, which he did. he clearly instigated the whole thing...then he started to lose and ran to his little gun to save his pathetic ass...

St. Croix valley

#107099 Nov 27, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Figure of speech.
Do you control the parts of the world most critical to species preservation? What are you going to tell indonesians and brazilians and africans about managing their resources? They want ranches and palm oil plantations and even sustenance farming. Their populations are growing fast. At least they are developing fast too and hopefully the economic griowth will put them in the slow pop growth curve before they kill everything. Its not under your control or mine or even our "rich" governments'.
not clear on what that has to do with our discussion...

Level 9

Everett, WA

#107100 Nov 27, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>and self defense also doesn't include starting a fight and then pulling a gun when you lose that fight. if zimmerman had stayed in his car, we would not even know their names...
how do you know treyvon instigated the attack? Zim actually admitted to the 911 operator he was following the kid and was told to not continue, which he did. he clearly instigated the whole thing...then he started to lose and ran to his little gun to save his pathetic ass...
But he didn't start the fight. Following a suspicious person in your neighborhood is not starting a fight. Even if you have a right to be in that neighborhood it does not give you the right to attack someone.

The evidence supported Zimmerman that he was attacked by Trayvon.

Also the 911 operator did not tell him to follow Trayvon anymore. He said they did not need him to do so. Zimmerman's testimony was that he broke off following Trayvon since he lost him anyway and was then looking for a street address so the police could find him.

The evidence was fairly strong that Trayvon came back and attacked Zimmerman. Zim may be a fat, incompetent, cop wanna be, that does not mean he is fair game for attack. He did not pull his gun immediately, he was being beaten rather badly, according to a witness, when he did so.

Trayvon attacked the wrong man at the wrong time.

St. Croix valley

#107101 Nov 27, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
But he didn't start the fight. Following a suspicious person in your neighborhood is not starting a fight. Even if you have a right to be in that neighborhood it does not give you the right to attack someone.
The evidence supported Zimmerman that he was attacked by Trayvon.
Also the 911 operator did not tell him to follow Trayvon anymore. He said they did not need him to do so. Zimmerman's testimony was that he broke off following Trayvon since he lost him anyway and was then looking for a street address so the police could find him.
The evidence was fairly strong that Trayvon came back and attacked Zimmerman. Zim may be a fat, incompetent, cop wanna be, that does not mean he is fair game for attack. He did not pull his gun immediately, he was being beaten rather badly, according to a witness, when he did so.
Trayvon attacked the wrong man at the wrong time.
why was treyvon a suspicious person? what did he do that was suspicious? no it is only Zim'z testimony that suggests it was treyvon gthat cam e back to attack him, the logic and situation of the scene would suggest different, that it was the cop wanna be that sinstigated and treyvon that defended himself, as was his right.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#107102 Nov 27, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>why was treyvon a suspicious person? what did he do that was suspicious? no it is only Zim'z testimony that suggests it was treyvon gthat cam e back to attack him, the logic and situation of the scene would suggest different, that it was the cop wanna be that sinstigated and treyvon that defended himself, as was his right.
Because the neighborhood has several breakins lately by young people.

From the Wiki article on the case:

"Crimes committed at The Retreat in the year prior to Martin's death had included eight burglaries, nine thefts, and one shooting.[52] Twin Lakes residents said there were dozens of reports of attempted break-ins, which had created an atmosphere of fear in their neighborhood."

And Zimmerman's testimony matched the timeline of event.

Liars are usually caught out by changing stories or by stories not matching the facts. Zimmerman made a statement that changed very little on the night of the event. It matched the events that could be independently timed. If he lied, it was one heck of a lie that did not have to change very much at all.

Here are a couple of facts supported by even witnesses against Zimmerman. Zimmerman had a short contact with Trayvon and he ran away. There was enough time after that encounter for Trayvon to go home.

It is fairly obvious that chunky monkey Zimmerman could not have chased down slimmer, younger, taller, Martin. You could hear Zimmerman's voice change on the tape when he was advised not to follow. It is fairly obvious that Martin got away. For Martin to run across Zimmerman again he had to return to him. Check out the map.

You have to ask yourself, how did Martin run into Zimmerman again? He did not have to run away, but once he did he could not legally re-engage. Martin was a fighter. He had gotten in trouble for it before. The wounds on Zimmerman and Martin supported Zimmerman's story. The only injury, aside from the fatal gunshot wound on Martin were injuries to his hands. Zimmerman had not hand injuries.

I have done martial arts for years. In the good old days there were no fist protectors. If you hit someone in the face, by accident since it was against the rules, your hands would usually show some sort of damage. In fact I saw one tournament where a fighter had both fists cut to the bone by his opponents teeth. The teeth were fine, the fists, not so much. He had to go to the hospital to have them cleaned and sewn up.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Name something that gets past around (Feb '14) 1 hr Brandiiiiiiii 1,065
BAN(N) the P0STER Above you !!! (Feb '14) 1 hr Brandiiiiiiii 5,994
Word Association (Mar '10) 1 hr -Papa-Smurf- 22,776
Word Association (Jun '10) 1 hr -Papa-Smurf- 32,771
"3 Syllable" Word s - A-Z" 1 hr Brandiiiiiiii 64
One Word (Jan '09) 1 hr -Papa-Smurf- 18,406
**4 Syllable Word A-Z** (Jul '12) 1 hr Brandiiiiiiii 980
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 1 hr wichita-rick 226,122
Denny Crain's Place (May '10) 1 hr F_R_E_D 32,515
Poll What are you thinking right now? (May '08) 1 hr Brandiiiiiiii 6,767