Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 221214 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

Since: May 08

Deltona Fla

#107028 Nov 27, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>hey Dan. busy getting the family "cabin" ready for winter. first ice coming on the lake there, so trying to do a little dangerous ice fishing...
this site really chews up my gigabytes and i have to use my phone hot spot at the family place...why does this site take so much data? is it all the ads?
Ice fishing? I ain't never heared of one of dim fish. What happens when you fry it?

Since: May 08

Deltona Fla

#107029 Nov 27, 2013
Winter here means head over by Cape Canaveral and throwing the net at shrimp. The only ice involved is in the cooler.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#107030 Nov 27, 2013
swampmudd wrote:
<quoted text>Ice fishing? I ain't never heared of one of dim fish. What happens when you fry it?
they get tasty! you do any bass fishing down there in FLA?

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#107031 Nov 27, 2013
swampmudd wrote:
Winter here means head over by Cape Canaveral and throwing the net at shrimp. The only ice involved is in the cooler.
if i eat shrimp, or any crustacean, i turn blue and die...very serious frowny face...:(

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#107032 Nov 27, 2013
swampmudd wrote:
<quoted text>Ice fishing? I ain't never heared of one of dim fish. What happens when you fry it?
Nah, ice fishing is when crazy people go out on the ice to go fishing. And since it is so cold out many of them build special sheds that are taken out on the ice. My grandfather had one that he would where he would use for spearfishing. Now that was a little eerie. The shed would be totally blacked out and lit below from the lake. He would circle a lure until a big enough fish came by and then a well timed drop of a spear and he would have a fish.

If you want a miserable experience do it the way I tried a few times as a kid. Drill a hole in the middle of a lake with the wind blowing and sub-zero temperatures. I will take a shed any day. Or icehouse.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#107033 Nov 27, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Nah, ice fishing is when crazy people go out on the ice to go fishing. And since it is so cold out many of them build special sheds that are taken out on the ice. My grandfather had one that he would where he would use for spearfishing. Now that was a little eerie. The shed would be totally blacked out and lit below from the lake. He would circle a lure until a big enough fish came by and then a well timed drop of a spear and he would have a fish.
If you want a miserable experience do it the way I tried a few times as a kid. Drill a hole in the middle of a lake with the wind blowing and sub-zero temperatures. I will take a shed any day. Or icehouse.
well, we have incredible portable ice shelters these days. they take literally seconds to set up and move. not that there is anything wrong with parking a little ice house on a well known hot spot. you can spend whole weekends living in these little houses catching lots of fish, watching the Super bowl on TV, cooking up fresh fish in a real kitchen, sleeping in the bunks...amazing, actually.

when the weather is nice (you know,+10 degrees f ) it is great to just sit out on the ice and fish. days like that we make margaritas and enjoy the tropical weather in our shirt sleeves while fishing...

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#107034 Nov 27, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Nah, ice fishing is when crazy people go out on the ice to go fishing. And since it is so cold out many of them build special sheds that are taken out on the ice. My grandfather had one that he would where he would use for spearfishing. Now that was a little eerie. The shed would be totally blacked out and lit below from the lake. He would circle a lure until a big enough fish came by and then a well timed drop of a spear and he would have a fish.
If you want a miserable experience do it the way I tried a few times as a kid. Drill a hole in the middle of a lake with the wind blowing and sub-zero temperatures. I will take a shed any day. Or icehouse.
for those interested...

http://lmgtfy.com/...

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#107035 Nov 27, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>well, we have incredible portable ice shelters these days. they take literally seconds to set up and move. not that there is anything wrong with parking a little ice house on a well known hot spot. you can spend whole weekends living in these little houses catching lots of fish, watching the Super bowl on TV, cooking up fresh fish in a real kitchen, sleeping in the bunks...amazing, actually.
when the weather is nice (you know,+10 degrees f ) it is great to just sit out on the ice and fish. days like that we make margaritas and enjoy the tropical weather in our shirt sleeves while fishing...
Yup, miss those warm days. There is nothing like a week of -20 temps and 20 mph winds to make you appreciate a nice warm calm 10 degree day. I live in one of the cloudiest cities in the U.S.. It rains all winter long and a cold wet rain at 32 degrees can feel much colder than 10 and dry. Plus not seeing the sun for months on end can get a bit depressing.

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#107036 Nov 27, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>yeah, i have issues with zoos, i'm certainly not a PETA member or anything like that, but i haven't been able to enjoy going to a zoo for over a decade now. seeing those beautiful animals that roamed the vast savannahs or plains or woods freely, or even the oceans, stuck in little cages or a couple of acres of habitat or what is basically a fishbowl for the latter just makes me feel sorry for them. like a jailor instead of an interested viewer. not sure if we actually need zoos with today's ability for all to view these great animals in the wild.
just my take on it...
These rhinos are in a huge field with giraffes as well. At least 10 acres I would say, plenty of room to stretch their legs. Not exactly "born free" but a pretty fair shake for the critters.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#107037 Nov 27, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Yup, miss those warm days. There is nothing like a week of -20 temps and 20 mph winds to make you appreciate a nice warm calm 10 degree day. I live in one of the cloudiest cities in the U.S.. It rains all winter long and a cold wet rain at 32 degrees can feel much colder than 10 and dry. Plus not seeing the sun for months on end can get a bit depressing.
in our northern home, the months of November and December are predominantly cloudy...and yet our solar power systems still work! we must be from the future...

yes,+10 f in the beginning of the season feels cold, but in january, it feels like a heat wave. amazing how the human body can adapt...

Since: May 08

Deltona Fla

#107038 Nov 27, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>they get tasty! you do any bass fishing down there in FLA?
Fla has the best bass fishing in the Country. We got fresh and salt water bass. Through the center of the state and across the pan handle is some of the best fresh water bass in the world. But I'm as salt. The Indian River Lagoon is great all year with different catches at different times. But if you really want some fun you go out ocean fishing for something that weighs as much as you do.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#107039 Nov 27, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
These rhinos are in a huge field with giraffes as well. At least 10 acres I would say, plenty of room to stretch their legs. Not exactly "born free" but a pretty fair shake for the critters.
my back yard is 40 acres...i wouldn't call that stretching their legs..

"Sex and age of an individual black rhino influence home range and size, with ranges of females larger than those of males, especially when accompanied by a calf.[29] In the Serengeti home ranges are around 70 to 100 km2 (27 to 39 sq mi), while in the Ngorongoro it is between 2.6 to 58.0 km2 (1.0 to 22.4 sq mi).[28] Black rhinos have also been observed to have a certain area they tend to visit and rest frequently called "houses" which are usually on a high ground level.[citation needed] These "home" ranges can vary from 2.6 km2 to 133 km2 with smaller home ranges having more abundant resources than larger home ranges.[30]"....from a quick wiki search.

again, just my take on things...

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#107040 Nov 27, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
These rhinos are in a huge field with giraffes as well. At least 10 acres I would say, plenty of room to stretch their legs. Not exactly "born free" but a pretty fair shake for the critters.
to tie threads together, imagine yourself being imprisoned in one of the ice shanties i linked to for the rest of your life...

would you consider that being able to stretch your legs?

you could be an ambassador of your species, as the saying goes!

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#107041 Nov 27, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>my back yard is 40 acres...i wouldn't call that stretching their legs..
"Sex and age of an individual black rhino influence home range and size, with ranges of females larger than those of males, especially when accompanied by a calf.[29] In the Serengeti home ranges are around 70 to 100 km2 (27 to 39 sq mi), while in the Ngorongoro it is between 2.6 to 58.0 km2 (1.0 to 22.4 sq mi).[28] Black rhinos have also been observed to have a certain area they tend to visit and rest frequently called "houses" which are usually on a high ground level.[citation needed] These "home" ranges can vary from 2.6 km2 to 133 km2 with smaller home ranges having more abundant resources than larger home ranges.[30]"....from a quick wiki search.
again, just my take on things...
Well its not a cage at any rate. Now, isn't the range of most beasts determined by their food requirements, and if food is appearing every day right in front of them, would they still feel the need to range about 100km2?

At least the poor buggers are safe from becoming erection sustainers for Chinamen.

Having been to the Kruger in Sth Africa, I have to say it was a highlight in my life and there is nothing like the real African savannah. Magic.

So in an ideal world I would agree with you 100%.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#107042 Nov 27, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Well its not a cage at any rate. Now, isn't the range of most beasts determined by their food requirements, and if food is appearing every day right in front of them, would they still feel the need to range about 100km2?
At least the poor buggers are safe from becoming erection sustainers for Chinamen.
Having been to the Kruger in Sth Africa, I have to say it was a highlight in my life and there is nothing like the real African savannah. Magic.
So in an ideal world I would agree with you 100%.
again, if you were imprisoned in a 10' by 20' foot cell for the rest of your life, all the food you need given to you through a slot in the door, your excrement taken away for you, would you consider that being free? would you enjoy it? would you wish that life for others?

we do not need zoos or even wildlife "farms" in today's day and age. they are just cruel imprisonment of animals. we do have many injured animals that cannot make it on their own in the wild that we could use for educational needs. we do not need animal prisons. we should be above that as a culture.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#107043 Nov 27, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Well its not a cage at any rate. Now, isn't the range of most beasts determined by their food requirements, and if food is appearing every day right in front of them, would they still feel the need to range about 100km2?
At least the poor buggers are safe from becoming erection sustainers for Chinamen.
Having been to the Kruger in Sth Africa, I have to say it was a highlight in my life and there is nothing like the real African savannah. Magic.
So in an ideal world I would agree with you 100%.
what is preventing us from creating this ideal world?

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#107044 Nov 27, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>what is preventing us from creating this ideal world?
the real world.

poor, crowded, and more concerned about eating tomorrow than saving the planet.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#107045 Nov 27, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
These rhinos are in a huge field with giraffes as well. At least 10 acres I would say, plenty of room to stretch their legs. Not exactly "born free" but a pretty fair shake for the critters.
I much favor zoos over extinction. I still mourn the Tasmanian Wolf.

Heck, I'll support managed hunting preserves. Always wanted a lion.

The recent fuss over that lady hunter who bagged a lion in SA, on the Likmpopo, was ludicrously overinflated.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#107046 Nov 27, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
the real world.
poor, crowded, and more concerned about eating tomorrow than saving the planet.
so we should be taking the money we use to imprison these animals and use it for taking care of our own species...no?

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#107047 Nov 27, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
the real world.
poor, crowded, and more concerned about eating tomorrow than saving the planet.
who ever said anything about saving the planet?!? i've always found that saying funny as the planet will always survive, it is the animal species on it that are variable...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Last two letters into two new words... (Jun '15) 7 min unreals_dad 6,552
News Millions of Brits no longer using a pen 8 min Princess Finny Fe... 12
News Thousands of demonstrators protest Trump in Atl... 12 min Julia 2,056
News 'Large tortoise blocking the A24' 18 min Spotted Girl 4
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 19 min Princess Finny Fe... 74,298
Poll Funny people on here you miss and why (Jul '15) 44 min Bad Bex 99
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 56 min Ohio Sam 215,284
Poll What are you thinking right now? (May '08) 5 hr DMan 3,744
A to Z songs by title or group! 9 hr Rider on the Storm 1,562
More from around the web