Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 209964 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

“Help religion science wander”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

into the night.

#106698 Nov 23, 2013
Extreme Ways wrote:
Now if you want to claim the first Homo a transitional/intermediate between them and modern humans then I guess they all would be considered transitional/intermediate but that is not the way science classifies them.
You are starting to see the light. You are erroneously hooked on classification as defining a transitional form when even you have pointed out that it doesn't.

“Get Extreme or Go Home. ”

Since: Nov 13

United States

#106699 Nov 23, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
.....and this is a problem because?
I would say read the comment again

Level 9

into the night.

#106700 Nov 23, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow!
Just WOW!
I mean there is dumb and then there is DUMB!!
This is just like a replay of knee slapper, dark blue and suncore. The same inane arguments over minutia and an obsessive need to be right.

United States

#106701 Nov 23, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
It seems that he thinks for some exceedingly strange reason that it would have a different series of names than the samples of Homo erectus found in Africa.
Does he realize that this is like asking for the complete name of Homo sapiens in Japan compared to the complete name of Homo sapiens in England.
Again, WOW!
Science has assigned a scientific classification to all Homo, why not Java man? They have no clue where he fits in. If they do not know here he fits in then what is he a transitional between?

Level 9

into the night.

#106703 Nov 23, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
It seems that he thinks for some exceedingly strange reason that it would have a different series of names than the samples of Homo erectus found in Africa.
Does he realize that this is like asking for the complete name of Homo sapiens in Japan compared to the complete name of Homo sapiens in England.
Again, WOW!
His understanding of classification and the meaning of it is very basic at best. For some reason he seems to think that it is cast in stone and only those species in direct ancestral line can be transitional forms. We have transitional forms in some cases that are the only specimens available and direct ancestry isn't known. I wonder how his view deals with them. I guess he just ignores them and hopes they will go away.

Wow indeed.

United States

#106704 Nov 23, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>Then rather than strut you should be able to explain how it went over my head and what I need to know to grasp it. Explain it to me. I'm listening.
I just did in the post you responded to. Go back and read it. What did you miss again?

Level 9

into the night.

#106705 Nov 23, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
.....and this is a problem because?
Give him a minute he has to come up with a BS answer and then demand you fill out a form.

“Proud Member”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

The Basket of Deplorables

#106706 Nov 23, 2013
Extreme Ways wrote:
<quoted text>
Their claim is he is a transitional/intermediate form between "modern humans". That "modern humans" makes the difference of where he is placed on that evolution tree.

He was human, though he may have been a cousin.
Why does it make a difference if he was your grandfather or great uncle when it comes to transitional species?
They were related though you are not related, does that ostracize your great uncle from reality? It just means he isn't a blood relative of living humans is all, but just as transitional as the blood relatives that became modern humans over millions of more years.

You know it was thought all humans were related to a single line , going back to a single Y chromosome Adam, but there was a second line found in a man in South Carolina to an even older than the
Y chromosome Adam most are direct descendants of. So we know of two distinct bloodlines. This guy (java man) we are pretty sure no living human has his dna, but human he was.

Level 9

into the night.

#106707 Nov 23, 2013
Extreme Ways wrote:
<quoted text>
1. Does that link assign a scientific classification to Java man?
2. Does that link say Java man is a transitional fossil?
It is pretty simple when it comes down to it.
1. Yes. 2 No.

Your right it is pretty simple. I wonder why you aren't getting it?

Level 9

into the night.

#106708 Nov 23, 2013
Extreme Ways wrote:
<quoted text>
Science has assigned a scientific classification to all Homo, why not Java man? They have no clue where he fits in. If they do not know here he fits in then what is he a transitional between?
Why don't you do some more reading. I think you will find that it has. Since you harp on the entire classification so much, it is clear you have access to such information. You get back to us when you done.

United States

#106709 Nov 23, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>You are starting to see the light. You are erroneously hooked on classification as defining a transitional form when even you have pointed out that it doesn't.
So other words a vertebrae fossil from 1bya can be considered a transitional fossil between them and modern man. Is that what you are saying? Anything from the first fossil ever found to modern man is a transitional fossil in between. What a croc of poopoo.

United States

#106710 Nov 23, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>This is just like a replay of knee slapper, dark blue and suncore. The same inane arguments over minutia and an obsessive need to be right.
Ok as someone asked me earlier what are you smoking? I get the knee slapper as you think I am funny/crazy. But where does the suns core or dark blue color come in?

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#106711 Nov 23, 2013
Extreme Ways wrote:
<quoted text>
That went right over your head didn't it. Kong said;
<quoted text>
I replied with this we already know, referring to the above comment of Kongs. What we don't know is refer to the following comment below.
Kingdom:
Phylum:
Class:
Order:
Family:
Tribe:
Genus:
Species
Actually we do. We know that in all of the animal kingdom there is only one Genus named "homo" those are the various species including man that we descended from or are very closely related to.

The complete classification for Homo erectus is going to be:

Domain: Eukarya

Kingdom: Animal

Phylum: Chordata

Class: Mammalia

Order: Primate

Suborder: Haplorhini

Parvorder: Catarrhini

Super Family: Hominoidea

Family: Hominidae

Tribe: Hominins

Genus: Homo

Species: Erectus

http://www.d.umn.edu/cla/faculty/troufs/anth1...

Level 9

Everett, WA

#106712 Nov 23, 2013
Extreme Ways wrote:
<quoted text>
So other words a vertebrae fossil from 1bya can be considered a transitional fossil between them and modern man. Is that what you are saying? Anything from the first fossil ever found to modern man is a transitional fossil in between. What a croc of poopoo.
No one said that.

Try again.

Level 9

into the night.

#106713 Nov 23, 2013
Extreme Ways wrote:
<quoted text>
I just did in the post you responded to. Go back and read it. What did you miss again?
I want to hear it from you.

“Proud Member”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

The Basket of Deplorables

#106714 Nov 23, 2013
Extreme Ways wrote:
<quoted text>
We don't know everything, the pieces of the puzzle are put together enough to see the big picture. But there are many pieces missing.
Fact is we don't know exactly where erectus fits in.
But he is there and nearly human, erectus may not be a direct ancestor to man , we don't know for sure. We are sure
Homo heidelbergensis is, but don't know the relation of erectus to heidelbergensis so cant make the connections exactly.
But we do know he is closer to us than Australopithecus so he is a transition between Australopithecus and modern humans.

United States

#106715 Nov 23, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>1. Yes. 2 No.
Your right it is pretty simple. I wonder why you aren't getting it?
No need to lie. Here is what the link says;

Nickname: Java Man
Site: Trinil, Java, Indonesia
Date of discovery: 1891
Discovered by: Eugene Dubois
Species: Homo erectus

Indonesia's "Java Man"

While searching for fossils in Java, physician Eugène Dubois uncovered the tophalf of an early human skull in 1891. This skull, Trinil 2, is long, with a flat forehead and distinct browridges and a sagittal keel, though many of its features have been worn flat with age. Dubois named a new species, Pithecanthropus erectus after this specimen in 1894, but Ernst Mayr reassigned Trinil 2 to Homo erectus in the 1950s.

It as I said gives it a species name but no scientific classification. Now one would have to believe being science supposedly gave it a species name homo erectus,(while other sources say different by homo erectus erectus)then science should also give it a complete scientific classification. I guess this is one of those scientific dark areas like dark matter? Not really known!

Level 9

Everett, WA

#106716 Nov 23, 2013
Extreme Ways wrote:
<quoted text>
Plus, there were no vertebrates around at 1 bya. You are off at the first appearance of vertebrates by 500 million years. So, not any vertebrate fossil would be considered transitional, but the first one definitely would.

Level 9

into the night.

#106717 Nov 23, 2013
Extreme Ways wrote:
<quoted text>
No. There are a number of reasons why this would not be a transitional fossil to modern man. The most important reason would be that there are no vertebrate fossils from 1bya.

Second, we are not talking about fossils across that broad of a time span, since we can't. Even if we were, I don't think there where be many shared characters all all that could be used to define them as very related. There are however, numerous forms that are transitional between humans and forms ancestral to mammals.

If a fossil is in a related group, that line can even have gone extinct and still be considered transitional, if it has ancestral characters from an ancestor basal to the lineages and if it has derived characters shared between itself and other species.

Is that so hard to understand. I guess it must be for someone that thinks vertebrates evolved a billion years ago. Love to see your evidence for that by the way.

I now return you to answering your posts with as much arrogance and ad hominem attack as you can muster.

United States

#106718 Nov 23, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually we do. We know that in all of the animal kingdom there is only one Genus named "homo" those are the various species including man that we descended from or are very closely related to.
The complete classification for Homo erectus is going to be:
Domain: Eukarya
Kingdom: Animal
Phylum: Chordata
Class: Mammalia
Order: Primate
Suborder: Haplorhini
Parvorder: Catarrhini
Super Family: Hominoidea
Family: Hominidae
Tribe: Hominins
Genus: Homo
Species: Erectus
http://www.d.umn.edu/cla/faculty/troufs/anth1...
I want java mans scientific classification. I have asked you numerous times and you cant give it with a link showing it. I don't know why. Every other homo species you can look on Wiki and get a complete scientific classification but not Java man. Why is that?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
2words into 2new words (May '12) 4 min Sharlene45 5,145
Play "end of the word" (Nov '08) 4 min Zandy Devine 25,710
5 Letter Word, Change 1 Letter (Oct '15) 10 min Zandy Devine 4,078
Last 3 Letters into 3 new words. (Dec '08) 24 min Zandy Devine 60,245
Add a word and drop a word (Jan '14) 26 min Zandy Devine 6,411
Last two letters into two new words... (Jun '15) 29 min Zandy Devine 4,288
Funny!! Word association game. (Nov '13) 30 min Zandy Devine 4,229
Who won the Presidential debate 2016 ? 53 min Dumb Asses R Us 98
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 1 hr Princess Hey 201,087
If Trump Wins 1 hr Go Blue Forever 44