Evolution vs. Creation

There are 20 comments on the Jan 6, 2011, Best of New Orleans story titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

davy

Albuquerque, NM

#106632 Nov 23, 2013
So it doesn't seem as scientific as a story about a talking snake?
MazHere wrote:
<quoted text>
BS, is not an appropriate reply. Every time you look deeper into the genome you find restrictions to an orgaisms ability to adapt. Your wish list was to find beneficial mutations helping others along and more beneficial mutations than deleterious ones, you did not want to find a deteriorating genome. Where is your good news?
Despite all your biased and flawed research your data does nothing to bolster your claims but does bolster mine. Boo Hoo for you, like it or not. Your spamming won't change anything.
If humans and gorillas are 98% similar by some comparison, how can a credible chimp and gorilla comparison score less than this?
Comparative genomics is rubbish and based on false algorithmic magic that is only evidence of a prevailing bias, not reality.

“Don't be mad at me.”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

I'm just a little bunny.

#106633 Nov 23, 2013
Extreme Ways wrote:
<quoted text>
When you read this,
"The current consensus of anthropologists is that the direct ancestors of modern humans were African populations of Homo erectus (possibly Homo ergaster), "rather" than the Asian populations exemplified by Java Man and Peking Man."
What do you perceive out of that about it currently being seen as a transitional fossil?
I see a statement that anthropologists agree that H. erectus is considered our direct ancestors. This does not change the fact that the populations from Indonesia are transitional forms. Transitional forms do not need to be directly ancestral to a species to be such.

I take it that you read this and consider Java man is no longer a transitional form. That would be incorrect based on the definition of transitional form and is not what the text says.

“Don't be mad at me.”

Level 9

I'm just a little bunny.

#106634 Nov 23, 2013
Extreme Ways wrote:
<quoted text>
Lets break it down.
"The current consensus of anthropologists is that the direct ancestors of modern humans were African populations of Homo erectus (possibly Homo ergaster), "rather" than the Asian populations exemplified by Java Man and Peking Man."
"rather" than the Asian populations exemplified by Java Man and Peking Man."
"rather" than
"rather"
Now hook that all up and tell me what you get!
Again, it specifies one population as being directly ancestral and the other is not. This does not render it no longer a transtional form. This consensus does not remove the ancestral and derived characters that make it so.

“Don't be mad at me.”

Level 9

I'm just a little bunny.

#106635 Nov 23, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
It is pretty clear that both of us see that as supporting our claims.
Put it this way, does it say that the African species of Homo erectus is a different species than the Asian fossils?
I'm not sure what he is missing SZ. Other than holding his hand, I don't think either of us could make it more clear.

“Don't be mad at me.”

Level 9

I'm just a little bunny.

#106636 Nov 23, 2013
davy wrote:
So it doesn't seem as scientific as a story about a talking snake?
<quoted text>
I don't think you are going to get these guys to talk about this talking snake. Too Freudian for them.

“Get Extreme or Go Home. ”

Since: Nov 13

United States

#106637 Nov 23, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>Again, it specifies one population as being directly ancestral and the other is not. This does not render it no longer a transtional form. This consensus does not remove the ancestral and derived characters that make it so.
Define transitional fossil.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#106638 Nov 23, 2013
Extreme Ways wrote:
<quoted text>
Lets break it down.
"rather" than the Asian populations exemplified by Java Man and Peking Man."
"rather" than
"rather"
Now hook that all up and tell me what you get!
It says that Java and Peking Man are still transitional fossils.

Why can't you see this? A transitional fossil is not necessarily an ancestor of current species.

Why did you duck this question, are all of these fossils of the same species?

Level 9

Everett, WA

#106639 Nov 23, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>I don't think you are going to get these guys to talk about this talking snake. Too Freudian for them.
He seems to think that if a fossil was not directly in line that it is not transitional. That obviously is not the case. I don't think he will get it.

United States

#106640 Nov 23, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
It says that Java and Peking Man are still transitional fossils.
Why can't you see this? A transitional fossil is not necessarily an ancestor of current species.
Why did you duck this question, are all of these fossils of the same species?
What they are saying is they think Java man is not a direct ancestor of modern humans, but another “group”. Whereas a transitional fossil is supposedly a fossil that exhibits traits of groups from which it came from and to what it became. Which if it is from another group, it is not a transitional.

United States

#106641 Nov 23, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
He seems to think that if a fossil was not directly in line that it is not transitional. That obviously is not the case. I don't think he will get it.
Lets just make it easy.

Give me the Scientific classification of Java man. Other words fill in the blanks. Show links for your answers.

Kingdom:
Phylum:
Class:
Order:
Family:
Tribe:
Genus:
Species:

“Don't be mad at me.”

Level 9

I'm just a little bunny.

#106642 Nov 23, 2013
Extreme Ways wrote:
<quoted text>
Define transitional fossil.
You did that an hour ago. Don't you remember?

“Don't be mad at me.”

Level 9

I'm just a little bunny.

#106643 Nov 23, 2013
Extreme Ways wrote:
<quoted text>
What they are saying is they think Java man is not a direct ancestor of modern humans, but another “group”. Whereas a transitional fossil is supposedly a fossil that exhibits traits of groups from which it came from and to what it became. Which if it is from another group, it is not a transitional.
No, it is a transitional form. It has ancestral and derived traits of the human lineage as you state above. That is all that it needs to fit the definition. That it is not a direct ancestor it is a related transitional form. You seem a little obsessed that you be right about this trivial point. Your own citations support this view so I am at a loss to explain why you don't understand it. What does this do to alter the view of human evolution?

United States

#106644 Nov 23, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>You did that an hour ago. Don't you remember?
I want to hear it from you.

“Don't be mad at me.”

Level 9

I'm just a little bunny.

#106645 Nov 23, 2013
Extreme Ways wrote:
<quoted text>
What they are saying is that population of H. erectus represented by Java Man is not a direct ancestor to modern humans and the African population of H. erectus is. Are you going to say that your uncles kids may not have some traits similar to you who descended from his brother. If you uncles line dies out and your fathers line populates the earth, that won't change that your uncle is a transitional form to the population your father founded.

“Don't be mad at me.”

Level 9

I'm just a little bunny.

#106646 Nov 23, 2013
Extreme Ways wrote:
<quoted text>
Lets just make it easy.
Give me the Scientific classification of Java man. Other words fill in the blanks. Show links for your answers.
Kingdom:
Phylum:
Class:
Order:
Family:
Tribe:
Genus:
Species:
You need to chat with this BlueBalls chick I have been debating with. She uses the same style you do. Maybe you could get her to understand that she doesn't know shit about evolution.

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#106647 Nov 23, 2013
Extreme Ways wrote:
<quoted text>
Lets just make it easy.
Kingdom:
Phylum:
Class:
Order:
Family:
Tribe:
Genus:
Species:
Kingdom:Animalia
Phylum:Chordata
Class:Mammalia
Order:Primates
Family:Hominidae
Genus:Homo
Species:H. erectus
Sub Species Javanthropus soloensis

United States

#106648 Nov 23, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>What they are saying is that population of H. erectus represented by Java Man is not a direct ancestor to modern humans and the African population of H. erectus is. Are you going to say that your uncles kids may not have some traits similar to you who descended from his brother. If you uncles line dies out and your fathers line populates the earth, that won't change that your uncle is a transitional form to the population your father founded.
Same statement to you.
Lets just make it easy.
Kingdom:
Phylum:
Class:
Order:
Family:
Tribe:
Genus:
Species:

Level 9

Everett, WA

#106649 Nov 23, 2013
Extreme Ways wrote:
<quoted text>
No, simply wrong. You are trying to make too high of a standard. If you want to say that then you could deny that any fossil is transitional since there is no way to tell if any individual fossil had any progeny.

The fact that they are the same species is more than close enough. In some cases species that may or may not have been on the direct line are still considered "transitional" as long as they are "close enough" to being between two other recognizable species.

For example we are not sure that tiktaalik was on any direct line. It is close enough to pure fish and pure land animals to be considered a transitional.

United States

#106650 Nov 23, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Kingdom:Animalia
Phylum:Chordata
Class:Mammalia
Order:Primates
Family:Hominidae
Genus:Homo
Species:H. erectus
Sub Species Javanthropus soloensis
Need a link here. No link, no nothing.

I am not sure how " show your link" missed your eye.

United States

#106651 Nov 23, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>You need to chat with this BlueBalls chick I have been debating with. She uses the same style you do. Maybe you could get her to understand that she doesn't know shit about evolution.
So you cannot answer then, other words fill in the blanks?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
+=Keep 1 Drop 1=+ 3 STACK (Mar '13) 4 min Hoosier Hillbilly 8,008
A To Z Of Movies (Sep '12) 4 min Lumatrix 4,800
2015: "Make a Story/ 6 Words Only: 6 min Hoosier Hillbilly 84
Word Association (Jun '10) 6 min Lumatrix 27,325
~`*`~ Create a sentence using the 'letters' of ... (Oct '12) 8 min Hoosier Hillbilly 2,205
Whatcha' doing? (Apr '12) 9 min liam cul8r 8,328
Create "short sentences using the last word" (Aug '12) 13 min Hoosier Hillbilly 8,330
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 1 hr I Am No One_ 161,357
motorcycle traveling stories 1 hr Mega Monster 631
News The trooper fired at the motorcycle, and then d... 1 hr Spotted Girl 88
Denny Crain's Place (May '10) 4 hr Hoosier Hillbilly 18,190
More from around the web