Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 218821 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

“Get Extreme or Go Home. ”

Since: Nov 13

United States

#106680 Nov 23, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
It doesn't matter since he is a Homo, that means either he is a direct ancestor, or a cousin of an ancestral line that died out.
Either way he was a transitional or intermediate species.
The fact we can't place him exactly where he belongs on the tree is irrelevant , we sill know the branch, whether he is own his own sub branch or on an existing branch is what hasn't been decided.
Their claim is he is a transitional/intermediate form between "modern humans". That "modern humans" makes the difference of where he is placed on that evolution tree.

“Do not bend, fold, staple or”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

mutilate. Point down range.

#106681 Nov 23, 2013
Extreme Ways wrote:
<quoted text>
This we already know. They say Java man is a transitional so I want the scientific classification of Java man to see where Java man fits in as a transitional. Fill in the blanks supported by links.
Kingdom:
Phylum:
Class:
Order:
Family:
Tribe:
Genus:
Species
If you know this, why keep saying Java man is not classified.

Please point out a definition of transitional form that precludes related species or in this case, different populations of the same species.

You fill out your form if you think it is so important. Either bat or hit the dugout.

United States

#106682 Nov 23, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>Why do you think after over 100 years, Java man hasn't been classified?
Again, a transitional form doesn't need to be classified fully in order to show that it is transitional. If you are seriously interested in this subject, you might consider discussing it rather than replaying your opposition over and over.
First off the article claims he is a transitional/intermediate of modern humans. If he actually falls further down the evolution tree then that cannot be so. He would be a transitional/intermediate between other species than modern humans.

Level 9

#106683 Nov 23, 2013
Extreme Ways wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure that is a great link. It assigns no scientific classification and does not say it is a transitional fossil. Which both are what I have said all along. Thanks for the support.
It does. It is listed as Homo erectus so its classification would be that of Homo erectus.

What are they teaching you 8th graders that passes as science these days? You're home schooled aren't you.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#106684 Nov 23, 2013
Extreme Ways wrote:
<quoted text>
Homo erectus is a species.
I want a complete scientific classification of java man with links to support it.
Kingdom:
Phylum:
Class:
Order:
Family:
Tribe:
Genus:
Species
Are you serious? You can't be this stupid. If we know the Genus and Species I can guarantee that the rest is known. I tell you what, I will give you the Kingdom, the rest is up to you: Animal.

Level 9

#106685 Nov 23, 2013
Extreme Ways wrote:
<quoted text>
Their claim is he is a transitional/intermediate form between "modern humans". That "modern humans" makes the difference of where he is placed on that evolution tree.
YOUR claim is that Java man and Peking man are not transitional forms to modern humans. You have thus far failed to support that.

“e pluribus unum”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

primus inter pares

#106686 Nov 23, 2013
Extreme Ways wrote:
<quoted text>
And actually he is said to be the species homo erectus erectus.
And actually in the human lineage, but since he is definitely not a homo sapiens or homo sapiens sapiens , he is a intermediate or transitional species. GET IT?

United States

#106687 Nov 23, 2013
Now if you want to claim the first Homo a transitional/intermediate between them and modern humans then I guess they all would be considered transitional/intermediate but that is not the way science classifies them.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#106688 Nov 23, 2013
Extreme Ways wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure that is a great link. It assigns no scientific classification and does not say it is a transitional fossil. Which both are what I have said all along. Thanks for the support.
Wow!

Just WOW!

I mean there is dumb and then there is DUMB!!

Level 9

#106689 Nov 23, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
Waiting.....
It looks like we are in for a long...wait.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#106690 Nov 23, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>If you know this, why keep saying Java man is not classified.
Please point out a definition of transitional form that precludes related species or in this case, different populations of the same species.
You fill out your form if you think it is so important. Either bat or hit the dugout.
It seems that he thinks for some exceedingly strange reason that it would have a different series of names than the samples of Homo erectus found in Africa.

Does he realize that this is like asking for the complete name of Homo sapiens in Japan compared to the complete name of Homo sapiens in England.

Again, WOW!

United States

#106691 Nov 23, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text> If you know this, why keep saying Java man is not classified.
That went right over your head didn't it. Kong said;
Kong wrote:
<quoted text>
'Java Man (Homo erectus erectus) is the name given to fossils discovered in 1891 at Trinil - Ngawi Regency on the banks of the Solo River in East Java, Indonesia, one of the first known specimens of Homo erectus. Its discoverer, Eugène Dubois, gave it the scientific name Pithecanthropus erectus, a name derived from Greek and Latin roots meaning upright ape-man.'
I replied with this we already know, referring to the above comment of Kongs. What we don't know is refer to the following comment below.

Kingdom:
Phylum:
Class:
Order:
Family:
Tribe:
Genus:
Species

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#106692 Nov 23, 2013
Extreme Ways wrote:
<quoted text>
First off the article claims he is a transitional/intermediate of modern humans. If he actually falls further down the evolution tree then that cannot be so. He would be a transitional/intermediate between other species than modern humans.
.....and this is a problem because?

United States

#106693 Nov 23, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow!
Just WOW!
I mean there is dumb and then there is DUMB!!
1. Does that link assign a scientific classification to Java man?

2. Does that link say Java man is a transitional fossil?

It is pretty simple when it comes down to it.

United States

#106694 Nov 23, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
Waiting.....
You were replied to along time ago.

Level 9

#106695 Nov 23, 2013
Extreme Ways wrote:
<quoted text>
Really. Show where there is defined limit to the time of divergence beyond which a fossil is no longer transitional. I am not aware of such a limit. Since a fossil is transitional based on characters it has, it seems that would be the more important criteria, but you be sure and show me why that isn't true. Largely, you are just arguing semantics and nothing based on actual evidence. Much as whether something is a lipoprotein or a proteolipid.

United States

#106696 Nov 23, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
It seems that he thinks for some exceedingly strange reason that it would have a different series of names than the samples of Homo erectus found in Africa.
Does he realize that this is like asking for the complete name of Homo sapiens in Japan compared to the complete name of Homo sapiens in England.
Again, WOW!

Level 9

#106697 Nov 23, 2013
Extreme Ways wrote:
<quoted text>
That went right over your head didn't it. Kong said;
<quoted text>
I replied with this we already know, referring to the above comment of Kongs. What we don't know is refer to the following comment below.
Kingdom:
Phylum:
Class:
Order:
Family:
Tribe:
Genus:
Species
Then rather than strut you should be able to explain how it went over my head and what I need to know to grasp it. Explain it to me. I'm listening.

Level 9

#106698 Nov 23, 2013
Extreme Ways wrote:
Now if you want to claim the first Homo a transitional/intermediate between them and modern humans then I guess they all would be considered transitional/intermediate but that is not the way science classifies them.
You are starting to see the light. You are erroneously hooked on classification as defining a transitional form when even you have pointed out that it doesn't.

United States

#106699 Nov 23, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
.....and this is a problem because?
I would say read the comment again

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 2 min Sam 68,392
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 4 min Camilla 209,987
A to Z songs by title or group! 4 min Rider on the Storm 641
News California scientist names moth species after D... 6 min Parden Pard 11
Words "with more than one meaning" (Sep '12) 7 min Spotted Girl 796
News Thousands of demonstrators protest Trump in Atl... 9 min And Kiss My Arse 10
Last Post Wins! (Aug '08) 22 min Princess Hey 149,133
Back in the day...... 47 min razz58 86
Poll What are you thinking right now? (May '08) 1 hr Enzo49 2,741
News Trump's Dark, Weird, Inaugural Campaign Speech 1 hr beatlesinafog 72
More from around the web