Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 173593 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#106430 Nov 21, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
MAZHERE
The truth about ENCODE and FUNCTIONALITY
Geez, Mazzy trying that old blag again?

Yup, short term memory loss it is then.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#106431 Nov 21, 2013
Patriot wrote:
<quoted text>
The Point is... they THOUGHT they were the Most Highly Intelligent people on the planet, much like you Atheists think today.
God laughed at those Doctors and God laughs at you. LOL
Oh, I'm sure he does.(shrug)

But he laughs at fundies more. I mean I bet that angels being shapeshifting aliens theory of yours gave him the biggest belly-laugh he's had in millenia.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#106432 Nov 21, 2013
Extreme Ways wrote:
<quoted text>
Who said Piltdown was authentic to begin with? Wasn't it scientists?
O hai, welcome to this thread too. I see you've missed a bit.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#106433 Nov 21, 2013
Extreme Ways wrote:
I am in a biology forum where the only 2 stories with more than 100 comments are battle of beliefs. Are there more biology threads that actually talk about science in other forums?
Depends on how many fundies they let in. Topix doesn't vet it's posters for science education hence the standards of scientific discussion can be pretty low. Which is why there's a lot of "reality ain't real cuz Jews are magic" with a few (fairly) normal people pointing out that reality is in fact real.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#106434 Nov 21, 2013
Extreme Ways wrote:
Belief is simply acceptance of truth of something, accepting something to be the truth.
Evolution happened and still does happens. And it is a belief. Hypotheses, Theories, Tests, Studies along with Evidence only strengthen that belief.
This is wrong. Belief is superfluous when one has evidence.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#106435 Nov 21, 2013
Extreme Ways wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong? How so?
Define belief. You will see it is simply acceptance of truth of something, accepting something to be the truth.
Evolution happened and still does happens. And it is a belief. Hypotheses, Theories, Tests, Studies along with Evidence only strengthen that belief.
Evolution is not just a belief. It is a belief supported and shown by Hypotheses, Theories, Tests, Studies along with Evidence only strengthen that belief.
Those scientific practice's are what set our beliefs apart from the God believers. We have tests that back up the theories and evidence that we can provide from all science practices. Praying and reading the bible are not practice's that produce evidence.
The one saying evolution is "only" a belief is you.
Do you believe in science that in search of the truth?
Do you believe in Hypotheses that are oriented for the truth?
Do you believe in theories that try to explain the truth?
Do you believe in evidence that shows the truth?
To believe in each of the above is believing and each one is a belief.
Like it or not chub evolution is based off of beliefs. Which again is "acceptance of truth of something, accepting something to be the truth."
Sorry if that rubs you wrong but as a fellow science lover and a evolution believer, that's what it is.
Nope, this is wrong. "Truth" is subjective. That's why every religion lays claim to it. Science deals with the OBjective. Therefore it deals with facts and evidence. When one has evidence "belief" becomes unnecessary.

Sorry, but that's how it is.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#106436 Nov 21, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Either that of Maz is a ridiculous poe trying to make creationists look extremely stupid.
If so then darn, he's good!

Level 2

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#106437 Nov 21, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Moving goalposts does not become you.
You originally claimed the English “owned” the English language, it
seems you may actually be capable of learning after all.
However the origination of the English language is rather more diverse
than England. Many words coming from various languages, mostly across
northern Europe but also including languages from as far afield as India
and China
I have shown you this several times including links to academic
documentation which validate the point and you still seem to ignore
those facts.
The same with all world languages, English is not an exception. English originated in England as well as ownership, that has always been my stand ever, idiot.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#106438 Nov 21, 2013
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> The same with all world languages, English is not an exception. English originated in England as well as ownership, that has always been my stand ever, idiot.
Interesting that sign your post as "Idiot". Very appropriate.

Level 2

Location hidden

#106439 Nov 21, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting that sign your post as "Idiot". Very appropriate.
Idiot. And that has nothing to do with England' s origination of the English language.

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#106440 Nov 21, 2013
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Idiot. And that has nothing to do with England' s origination of the English language.
But everything to do with you.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#106441 Nov 21, 2013
Extreme Ways wrote:
My last thought before I go start my day:
Evolution happened and now we have man. Some say it was random some say it was a plan. Life started and life has excelled. How it happens is in the beliefs that are held. Those beliefs differ throughout the world with each side speaking up hoping to be herd. Some believe in creation and some believe in evolution. They always argue and there is not solution. Some believe in God and others believe in selection. One has guidance and one has no direction. They both are beliefs and both argue all they can, how life actually started seems a mystery to man.
Pretty poem. Unfortunately like many appeals to emotion, it is construed with a number of fallacies:

Evolution is not random. Evolution is not atheism. Evolution is accepted by theists. Evolution has evidence therefore requires no belief. And finally, the theory of evolution does not rely on abiogenesis.

For fundies this is about fundamentalist theism against atheism (or any other non-beliefs, including other theists, such as Muslims for example). For the science and education community this is about protecting education from anti-science cranks. Fundies don't care about education. Educators don't care about fundamentalism. There is no "scientific debate". There never has been. The only scientific debate is the only one that is and should be - about how evolution occurred, not whether or not it did occur. The rest is purely invented PR by fundies because they're not happy that they don't have what certain places in the Middle East have: Theocracy.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#106442 Nov 21, 2013
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> The same with all world languages, English is not an exception. English originated in England as well as ownership, that has always been my stand ever, idiot.
Yep, that's always been your stand.

Don'cha talk about anything else?

:-/

Level 2

Location hidden

#106443 Nov 21, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
But everything to do with you.
What i said about England is true, if you hate to hear or see that simply ignore it and move on.

Level 2

Location hidden

#106444 Nov 21, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
English originated in England, yes or no?

Level 2

Location hidden

#106445 Nov 21, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
English originated in England, true or false?

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#106446 Nov 21, 2013
Charles, I challenge you to find ANYONE on the internet, ANYWHERE in the world, that will agree with you that "England *OWNS* English". Or France OWNS French, or Spain/Spanish, etc.

ANYBODY ON THE INTERNET.

Go!

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#106447 Nov 21, 2013
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> English originated in England, yes or no?
No one is disputing that, numbnutz. But the English do NOT own the language.

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#106448 Nov 21, 2013
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> What i said about England is true, if you hate to hear or see that simply ignore it and move on.
Half true. And I don't hate it. I think it damn funny that you have such a hard time with such a simple concept.

Level 2

Location hidden

#106450 Nov 21, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
Charles, I challenge you to find ANYONE on the internet, ANYWHERE in the world, that will agree with you that "England *OWNS* English". Or France OWNS French, or Spain/Spanish, etc.
ANYBODY ON THE INTERNET.
Go!
Ofcourse they will accept ownership by origination.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Think you Have problems 9 min theotherside 1
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 14 min Hot 98 43,512
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 20 min anguish 169,383
News Weird 'service' animals show up in odd places 54 min wichita-rick 4
News Golf Club Owner Agrees to Pay $100,000 Over Man... 1 hr Fundie Fatwass De... 7
Word Association (Mar '10) 1 hr wichita-rick 18,161
Stupid things to ponder ... (Feb '08) 1 hr wichita-rick 5,699
JUST SAY SOMETHING. Whatever comes to mind!! (Aug '09) 1 hr Lucy 29,707
More from around the web