Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 197494 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

“I started out with nothing”

Level 6

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#106186 Nov 18, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Some years ago when I lived in Germany, I was leaving Wiesbaden Air Base when I stopped and picked up a guy hitchhiking just outside the main gate. I took him for German - which I spoke - but couldn't understand a damn thing he was saying. I finally realized he was actually English. Though I still had a hell of a time understanding him.
Must have been a Scoucer, a Geordie or a Scot

I was once amazed while in the US to see an old episode of Taggart (a Scottish detective, pretty broad Glasgow accent). There were subtitles!!!

Level 6

#106187 Nov 18, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Hehehe.
Yah. Welsh is also a Celtic language - but it's from the Brythonic branch. Irish is from the Goidelic. The two are not mutually comprehensible - although some words are. Especially in place names.
And nobody, other than real Liverpudlians, understands Scouse.
Welsh is something else entirely

Level 6

#106188 Nov 18, 2013
MAAT wrote:
<quoted text>
Just happy i can understand Billy Connolly.
Now there is a comedian, I love his humour

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#106189 Nov 18, 2013
MAAT wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Mac,
Can ea have that in the spectrum oi can understand.
Goilic is not Gealic?
It's like that letter Y that is actually pronounced as TH.
And where does Brythonic originate?
Brththon-briton? Bretagne?
I can't understand Scots, even if they try really hard. It gets embarrasing.
Just happy i can understand Billy Connolly.
"Goidelic" includes Irish Gaelic, Scots Gaelic, and Manx.

"Brythonic" or "Brittonic" includes Welsh, Cornish, and yes, Breton.

VERY different languages, although I can understand some Scots Gaelic if it's spoken slowly enough.

And we like Billy Connolly - whose last name is Irish, BTW.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#106190 Nov 18, 2013
SBT wrote:
<quoted text>
But wait, grasshopper have question, please explain how "primordial soup" in reducing atmosphere popped out a Prokaryote bacteria with a 4 million code DNA and an Axial Proton powered motor??? Look at the Prokaryote in Wiki and see, it's true, complex in the beginning, the chemical to life problem has never been repeated in the laboratory, nor solved. Is any science being done here to support this story? Seem you have a huge problem in the "begining".
Isn't this like Moses claiming he spoke to God on Mt. Sinai and came back without the tablets? This wiki story oversimplifies and skips some real problems, no matter how many signed on to it. You must answer the first question otherwise the whole notion is questionable.
http://www.genesisalive.com/2013/09/a-questio...
SBT, what were you told about using idiot sites? I did not even bother this time.

Your claim is not the claim of people who believe abiogenesis.

Your argument is based upon a straw man, in other words your argument is based upon a lie.

Level 7

The Borderland of Sol

#106191 Nov 18, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Welsh is something else entirely
Yes, it is. Although, as I say, it has some words in common with Irish. "Mawr" in Welsh, for example, is "Mór" in Irish. They both mean "big".

Level 1

Since: Jul 12

Gulgong, Australia

#106192 Nov 18, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
SBT, what were you told about using idiot sites? I did not even bother this time.
Your claim is not the claim of people who believe abiogenesis.
Your argument is based upon a straw man, in other words your argument is based upon a lie.
Why not fess up to the ugly truth. In actual fact after all the rubbish around primordial soups and a plethora of other theoretical assertions, in the end these bright sparks have ended up agreeing with an old scroll, that had already told everyone animal life began in the sea. LOL!

Level 9

Everett, WA

#106193 Nov 18, 2013
MazHere wrote:
<quoted text>
Why not fess up to the ugly truth. In actual fact after all the rubbish around primordial soups and a plethora of other theoretical assertions, in the end these bright sparks have ended up agreeing with an old scroll, that had already told everyone animal life began in the sea. LOL!
Nope, it was terribly wrong. It had "creation" of birds on the same day as fish:

"20 Then God commanded,“Let the water be filled with many kinds of living beings, and let the air be filled with birds.” 21 So God created the great sea monsters, all kinds of creatures that live in the water, and all kinds of birds. And God was pleased with what he saw. 22 He blessed them all and told the creatures that live in the water to reproduce and to fill the sea, and he told the birds to increase in number. 23 Evening passed and morning came—that was the fifth day."

Birds evolved after reptiles, dinosaurs, and even mammals and not before. Definitely not the same time as fish or even worse the first life of the sea.

Your raggedy old book is not even close.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#106194 Nov 18, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Must have been a Scoucer, a Geordie or a Scot
I was once amazed while in the US to see an old episode of Taggart (a Scottish detective, pretty broad Glasgow accent). There were subtitles!!!
Funny.

I've met a few of the un-understandables during my trips to England.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#106195 Nov 18, 2013
SBT wrote:
<quoted text>
But wait, grasshopper have question, please explain how "primordial soup" in reducing atmosphere popped out a Prokaryote bacteria with a 4 million code DNA and an Axial Proton powered motor???
O hai Subordinate. I see you're still lying again.

By the way, the theory of evolution does not rely on abiogenesis. And your bacterial flagellum is still compromised by the existence of Yersinia pestis.

Do you have the same short term memory problem that slaphead does? Is that why you repeat the same arguments every day that we've debunked over and over?
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#106196 Nov 18, 2013
SBT wrote:
<quoted text>
No, fossils are often used to identify a strata as it emerges across a lateral. The books use evo terms attached to evo ages to ident. the strata according to the fossils, which they assume died and piled up over eons. These are actually flood sediment deposits in most cases,(unless deposited in a local catastrophe). Good example are Grand Canyon nautilouds.
Sorry, we did the flood too. As much as you love to claim otherwise, it is highly unlikely that virtually every fossil is of a drowned animal. And a zero percent likelihood of those that are were due to the global flood of the Bible.

Unless Jews are magic.

And I'm sure you're gonna provide the testable hypothesis for that one any day now, right?
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#106197 Nov 18, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Hehehe.
Yah. Welsh is also a Celtic language - but it's from the Brythonic branch. Irish is from the Goidelic. The two are not mutually comprehensible - although some words are. Especially in place names.
And nobody, other than real Liverpudlians, understands Scouse.
Hey man, it's easy to understand scouse.

Unless they appear on reality TV shows.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#106198 Nov 18, 2013
MazHere wrote:
<quoted text>
Why not fess up to the ugly truth.
Okay then. You're an ugly liar. And buttugly to boot.(shrug)

God's looking forward to giving you a spanking, but then, you fundies are that perverted you're prolly looking forward to it.

Level 7

The Borderland of Sol

#106199 Nov 18, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey man, it's easy to understand scouse.
Unless they appear on reality TV shows.
If they'd just slow down a bit.

LOL.

“Dinosaurs survived the flood!”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

Jesus probably rode dinosaurs!

#106200 Nov 18, 2013
SBT wrote:
<quoted text>
But wait, grasshopper have question, please explain how "primordial soup" in reducing atmosphere popped out a Prokaryote bacteria with a 4 million code DNA and an Axial Proton powered motor??? Look at the Prokaryote in Wiki and see, it's true, complex in the beginning, the chemical to life problem has never been repeated in the laboratory, nor solved. Is any science being done here to support this story? Seem you have a huge problem in the "begining".
Isn't this like Moses claiming he spoke to God on Mt. Sinai and came back without the tablets? This wiki story oversimplifies and skips some real problems, no matter how many signed on to it. You must answer the first question otherwise the whole notion is questionable.
How do you know the first prokaryotes had flagella? That you keep saying it, tells me you believe it, but there is no evidence they did and likely didn't. We don't know yet what the genomes of first life were like. There is no rule that says it has to have a genome like modern bacteria.

Lots of things have never been solved or repeated in the lab until someone did. Hardly a disqualifier. No one had transplanted a heart until Barnard did it. This would have been perceived as witchcraft a 100 years earlier by the good Christians of this country.

“Dinosaurs survived the flood!”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

Jesus probably rode dinosaurs!

#106201 Nov 18, 2013
MazHere wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah Maz. I love your whacky little comments. They bring a smile to my face and a laugh in my heart.

“Seventh son”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Will Prevail

#106202 Nov 18, 2013
MazHere wrote:
<quoted text>
You went out with who? Yul Brynner?

SBT
Level 2

Since: Jun 13

United States

#106203 Nov 18, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>How do you know the first prokaryotes had flagella? That you keep saying it, tells me you believe it, but there is no evidence they did and likely didn't. We don't know yet what the genomes of first life were like. There is no rule that says it has to have a genome like modern bacteria.
Lots of things have never been solved or repeated in the lab until someone did. Hardly a disqualifier. No one had transplanted a heart until Barnard did it. This would have been perceived as witchcraft a 100 years earlier by the good Christians of this country.
I have yet to find a Prokaryote with no motor in the lit. You have to "believe" evolution created the first working cell, there is no proof or mechanism anywhere to support this in science so it must be outside that realm. Simply because a person can switch existing body parts is far different than building a working cell with chemicals with no outside order. As I pointed out before, you basically need to embrace "spontaneous generation" as the mechanism crossing the non-life to life barrier, disproved by Crick and others substantiated as the microscopes got bigger.

We know alot about amino structures by observation, a few labs can even adapt them, like the complex materials in a Shuttle doesn't make a shuttle fall together, someone needs to layout a plan, an imagined working end result with purpose, that's intelligence acting on matter, not random plan-less accidents playing with chemicals for no purpose. Dean Kenyon did well in Evo theory circles until he determined that pre-coded DNA was needed to run the amino construction, so he was faced with the unsolvable naturalistically. The data and assembly systems working together pointed to design, not accidents.

SBT
Level 2

United States

#106204 Nov 18, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
O hai Subordinate. I see you're still lying again.
By the way, the theory of evolution does not rely on abiogenesis. And your bacterial flagellum is still compromised by the existence of Yersinia pestis.
Do you have the same short term memory problem that slaphead does? Is that why you repeat the same arguments every day that we've debunked over and over?
If you would spend some time and really consider the nonlife to life question rather than take the road of evo oversimplification, you could learn something like question dogma. By the way, I planted that little piece about evo and strata just to see if you ever took a day of Geo 101,- hook line and sinker..Hope you learned something.

SBT
Level 2

United States

#106205 Nov 18, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, it was terribly wrong. It had "creation" of birds on the same day as fish:
"20 Then God commanded,“Let the water be filled with many kinds of living beings, and let the air be filled with birds.” 21 So God created the great sea monsters, all kinds of creatures that live in the water, and all kinds of birds. And God was pleased with what he saw. 22 He blessed them all and told the creatures that live in the water to reproduce and to fill the sea, and he told the birds to increase in number. 23 Evening passed and morning came—that was the fifth day."
Birds evolved after reptiles, dinosaurs, and even mammals and not before. Definitely not the same time as fish or even worse the first life of the sea.
Your raggedy old book is not even close.
But what if God did it so knowing someday He would need to trip up evo with that sequence. Back to the phylogenetic tree now, who was there to see all this?

"And God was pleased with what he saw. 22 He blessed them all and told the creatures that live in the water to reproduce and to fill the sea, and he told the birds to increase in number".

We know the above is true in the present, but mock the statement that no one witnessed from the past? Evo's are everywhere at once.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Weird Forum Daily AA Meeting 2 min WTF 9
JUST SAY SOMETHING. Whatever comes to mind!! (Aug '09) 28 min KNIGHT DeVINE 32,154
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 29 min Love Mmm 190,919
Whatcha' doing? (Apr '12) 40 min stacked and proud 8,824
What's for dinner? (Feb '12) 42 min stacked and proud 8,107
Denny Crain's Place (May '10) 43 min stacked and proud 19,591
Crystal_Clears Kitchen (Refurbished) 56 min its me daisy 6,124
Answer a question with a question (Apr '15) 1 hr SweLL GirL 2,378
Last Post Wins! (Aug '08) 2 hr SweLL GirL 144,841
More from around the web