Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 221446 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

davy

Albuquerque, NM

#105810 Nov 13, 2013
I raise you several thousand years of silly stories about a talking snake. Do you really believe that donkeys can fly? Religion kills brains dead.
MazHere wrote:
<quoted text>
Your link was a flop. Go stick your head back in the sand.
You have 150 years of falsifications and change to offer eg human knuckle walking ancestry and junk DNA. Get back in your box.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#105811 Nov 14, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
And I disagree that this would be desirable.
As do I. I love the richness of the language and its variants.

Where would we be without, say, "Waltzing Matilda"?

Hehehe.

Seriously, homogenization of the language would be boring.

Level 2

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#105812 Nov 14, 2013
JM_Brazil wrote:
<quoted text>
What are "spheres of life"? According to you, there is only one sphere of life in the universe, called Earth.
All areas of human interest, like banking, commerce, research, arts, sciences, etc.

Level 2

Location hidden

#105813 Nov 14, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
I have no issue with crediting my ancestors for creating the English language, and I'm in complete agreement with you that where, when and how something originates is not unimportant.
That is why I don't put any unreasonable stock in a set of books that were written by a primitive militaristic tribe in a wasteland and are predominantly about the mythologies, failures and successes of that primitive militaristic tribe in that wasteland.
So, the land of Israel is a waste land? And yearly, people do come far and wide for prilgrimage.

Level 2

Location hidden

#105814 Nov 14, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
And I disagree that this would be desirable.
French is singular, likewise others, why is English different?

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#105815 Nov 14, 2013
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> French is singular, likewise others, why is English different?
Yoy're not familiar with French, are you?

I am. There are several dialects even within France. Try to convince a Parisian that a Provencal or Gascon is speaking real French.

Throw in Canada, Louisiana, Haiti, bits of Africa and South-East Asia...

You are completely and utterly wrong.

Level 2

Location hidden

#105816 Nov 14, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Yoy're not familiar with French, are you?
I am. There are several dialects even within France. Try to convince a Parisian that a Provencal or Gascon is speaking real French.
Throw in Canada, Louisiana, Haiti, bits of Africa and South-East Asia...
You are completely and utterly wrong.
Thanks. But i am not completely wrong. France still controls their language globally.

“When you treat people as they ”

Level 6

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#105817 Nov 14, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>knuckle-dragger is a derogatory term skiers use for snowboard riders...
Derogatory? Makes sense to me - lol

SBT
Level 2

Since: Jun 13

United States

#105818 Nov 14, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Bub, Dover already happened. I can guarantee you that if Behe argued for ID in front of me right now, EVERYONE in the entire world will know EXACTLY what they knew about ID when they made it up - that something did something, somehow, somewhere, at sometime. In fact that's precisely what happened when the DI Dellows themselves turned up to review their buddie Meyer's new book. Something intelligent did something intelligent. Wowzer.
<quoted text>
Yes, it seems pretty much all your claims apparently rely on first-hand anecdotes which no-one else can verify. All I can tell you is from what he's said in the past. Although an IDCreationist he has said that God might be dead, and also that common ancestry is "basically" the correct model (a point which he had to concede in his rather public debate with ERV), that he hasn't done any "scientific research" into IC, and that he's now touring the church circuit fleecing money of rubes like you by giving speeches telling ya that ID proves Godmagic and evolution is from Satan. Okay, I might have exaggerated that last bit about Satan.
Since then, as far as I am aware, any changes in his theological outlook have not been made public. But it would not be all that unusual, such as his pal Billy having to convert to YECism from OECism so that they wouldn't get him EXPELLED from their church 'teaching' seminars.
Love it when you can mind-read Behe, yet you are the first one to accuse me that I assume every evolutionist is an atheist, which I don't, but I see evo used everyday to intimidate believers or those considering. Attacking a person when the person is simply the carrier of information about obvious complexity is defecting from the real point isn't it? Gish that, Behe this, S. Austin that, etc. etc. How about Kenyon? I remember him from H.S., our scientist microbiologist evo-theologian now turned to ID. Also predicted that you would have no scientific come back on MO-1. Then accuse me of not responding! I don't have time for these games, I live in the real world doing real things that must work, playing in perceptions is for lawyers, politicians and mind-gamers.

God is the inventor of all that's seen and unseen, to accuse Him of not being scientific is the ultimate contradiction of terms, so I call that out.

Level 6

#105819 Nov 14, 2013
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> That again i know, but that does not makes English French or even German. Still many French men or women, are dying to understand the English language, the same with the Germans. English is a universal language that many of those nations mentioned by you, are dying to learn. So, stop the shit and learn.
You know? Yet you still ignore – go figure

Nope many French are not dying to understand, I spend a great deal of time in France and I can assure you that most French people do not give a care for the English language other than the “weekend”. Figure that one out for yourself

The only places/occupations in France where English is a benefit is holiday resort bars, hotels, international pilots and some very few government officials. That is not because the French are dying to understand English it is because of the ignorance of the English not bothering to learn at least a little of the language of the country where spend there vacation. In the case of the 95%+ of government officials who don’t speak English they make a point of and are proud to insist on French.
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> This is really really stupid. Does that makes English to be German or French? No! If you don't know most of the French words were derived from Latin. Does that mean that French is Latin?
Yes you are really stupid, good observation. Why do you deliberately sew obfuscation? I am not claiming English is German or France, I am saying that English is mostly compiled from other languages and if it can be said that it belongs to anyone (as you claim) then it belongs to English speakers, not the country.

There are around 90 times more people who are not English who speak the English language as a first or flaunt language than there are English people. It can be argued using that criteria and your assertion that it belongs then it belongs to the USA, after all there are far more English speakers in the US than there are in England.

SBT
Level 2

United States

#105820 Nov 14, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny that you cannot find the link that would support your claim.
There is a rule that creationists have to follow since they lie constantly. Any claim they make has to be backed up by links. If they don't, it is a lie.
Have you no shame?
Here's your link showing my case with over 20 equations attempting to explain, in part, how blood works.

http://www.chemistry.wustl.edu/~edudev/LabTut...

Level 2

Location hidden

#105821 Nov 14, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope many French are not dying to understand, I spend a great deal of time in France and I can assure you that most French people do not give a care for the English language other than the “weekend”. Figure that one out for yourself
The only places/occupations in France where English is a benefit is holiday resort bars, hotels, international pilots and some very few government officials. That is not because the French are dying to understand English it is because of the ignorance of the English not bothering to learn at least a little of the language of the country where spend there vacation. In the case of the 95%+ of government officials who don’t speak English they make a point of and are proud to insist on French.
<quoted text>
Yes you are really stupid, good observation. Why do you deliberately sew obfuscation? I am not claiming English is German or France, I am saying that English is mostly compiled from other languages and if it can be said that it belongs to anyone (as you claim) then it belongs to English speakers, not the country.
There are around 90 times more people who are not English who speak the English language as a first or flaunt language than there are English people. It can be argued using that criteria and your assertion that it belongs then it belongs to the USA, after all there are far more English speakers in the US than there are in England.
Sincerely speaking, you are an idiot. Why is English regarded as the language of commerce instead of French?

SBT
Level 2

United States

#105822 Nov 14, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
You misstate the problem. In various animals, crustaceans for example, the blood clotting cascade is simpler. Again, you should read the articles that I linked. Behe was made to look like a fool in the Dover trial. I am trying to find a particular video, it is a reenactment, it is directly based upon the transcript of the trial. The Dover Trial exposed Behe for the fool that he is.
Still nothing on the Forman Ovale SZ? thought we were talking origin's here? Find the evo explanation how a mutation created a valve that must work in perfect sequence or the next generation dies?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foramen_ovale_%2...

All you want to talk about is the opinion's of people, a publicly paid full-time lawyer in cases that have nothing to do with justice or law, wants to keep his big job and sip cool one's with Uni. Presidents, Cops and PhD profs at fund raisers, in a matter outside of law and all about dogma. I know those guys.. They are they are biased because public opinion is so strong on this one so they play politics. People like me just get tired of paying for evo education in the public systems. So we pay extra and put our kids where truth is taught rather than some sci-fi religion. Look at where our youth are today, we say you need to live by moral codes, they say who's moral codes, we say Gods. They say there is no God, so why should I obey rules that come from nothingness, that's old fashioned, get with the times Dad. God says one man one women for life and no hanky-panky in between and they say why not?, those are your rules not mine. Billions of years, we are star-stuff so get an abortion, have your "freedom", man is the cancer of the earth yanno. And that is exactly what is going on, so our prisons and divorce courts are full and hearts that God made are broken.

Explain the valve please.

Level 2

Location hidden

#105823 Nov 14, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Lol. The US is composed of many different ethnic nationalities like French Americans, English Americans, etc, if you want to come up with that, you must remove all the ethnic groups that makes up the US.

Level 2

Location hidden

#105824 Nov 14, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
All wrong, do some research about the world language of trade, banking, etc, and see for yourself, all English.

Level 2

Location hidden

#105825 Nov 14, 2013
English language originated in a place called, England. The people of England are called, the English and they are scattered worldwide, in places like the US, Canada, Australia, etc.

Level 2

Location hidden

#105826 Nov 14, 2013
They are still found in other places in the UK.

Level 6

#105827 Nov 14, 2013
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Sincerely speaking, you are an idiot. Why is English regarded as the language of commerce instead of French?
What has your deliberate ignorance that got to do with who the English language belongs to

Until WW2 French was the language of commerce, academia and diplomacy, the reason English is now that standard language is partly because the British Empire and Commonwealth did much to spread the use of English, It also allowed many non English terms and words to be absorbed into the language

After WW2 the military, economic, and scientific leadership of English speaking countries made English a (not the but a) leading international language. Only with the collapse of the Soviet Union did events make English the first global language.

See http://www.amazon.co.uk/How-English-Became-Gl...

“From its dim origins among Germanic speakers in the British Isles, the English tongue spread for over a millennium through commerce, cultural exchange, and military conquest to become the de facto language of our modern, globalized world.”

“Up with which, I will not put”

Since: Jul 08

Sao Paulo

#105828 Nov 14, 2013
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Thanks. But i am not completely wrong. France still controls their language globally.
France does not control their language globally. No country controls their language because it is not their language to control. No one "owns" a language, therefore no one can police a language. Institutions can set guidelines to follow, but this won't stop certain cultures from conjugating the verb to be as I be, You be, He be, We ... If Nigel wants to discuss his shed-ule while driving a lorry in grey trousers, no one will slap him with a language infraction.

SBT
Level 2

United States

#105829 Nov 14, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
pelycosaur to therapsid to early mammal shows the transition very plainly.
its true that a fossil chihuahua and a great dane might be mistaken for different species. But so what? Does saying that some species have huge morphological variation (especially when human breeding has been at play), mean that all examples of change, especially a continuum from say Australopithecis -> Georgicus _> erectus -> heidlebugensis -> sapiens is invalid?
Of course not. Don't be silly. There are NO sapiens fossils at the time of Australopithecus (various). So if you are saying the normal morphology of hominids 3 million years ago was very different but they are "really the same species" then who am I to argue with your chosen classification patterns? You simply have to look at the fossils and know their dating to see the obvious continuum of change over the period.
The underlying reality is that there was a change over time, consistent with the predictions of evolution.
The truth you always avoid is that there are NO verified fossils of any creature that violates the nested hierarchy of evolution. No creature is found before its necessary evolutionary antecedents could have existed. The rabbit in the Cambrian, again.
I live in a State were their are books dedicated to the issue of Fossils. We have beds everywhere here of about everything that ever swam, walked or flew. We don't have transitional forms, can you identify an intermediate common decent between a lizard and a turtle? We have both, buried in catastrophic water borne deposits.

http://www.icr.org/article/7541/
http://www.icr.org/article/turtles-snakes-no-...

We also have many creatures that are different animals not found today, they are extinct. We have Plesosaurs, Pterosaurs and horses, bison and mastodons, elephants and mammoths. All kinds of big cats, you name it, its crazy (see Fossils of Oregon, Orr and Orr.) all mixed together, drowned, sediment covered and trapped in eddies it appears. And like I mentioned in a previous post, mice, opossums and lemurs in one deposit along with too many other's to list here. So yes, a huge variety exist, so many that one could stand back and take a perspective that evolution could have taken place, and we just need more time to find those pesky intermediates, but upon close inspection the major gaps like the reptile/turtle series challenge us and now we know that the DNA data and mechanism's of order must be taken into account. Plus the variation factor mentioned adds to the mix. As an engineer and with a strong background in geology, the DNA must be dealt with, then the links, so I go to the field and see what the bible teaches fits much better. I do understand that one can be just as big a follower of God and twice as good a person as me and believe as you stated also. But I will say when they look at my perspective they relook at it all.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Make A Sentance out of a 5 letter word. (Nov '09) 3 min Judy 123 37,862
News Ohio hospital drops rule requiring women to wea... 3 min a_visitor 1
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 11 min a_visitor 217,255
Keep a Word.....Drop a Word Game (Sep '13) 11 min Judy 123 13,276
Names, A to Z, ... (Aug '12) 15 min Judy 123 3,529
Denny Crain's Place (May '10) 15 min Fish_sticks 21,936
Why are ciggaretts 20 a pack and why is pot goi... 16 min a_visitor 2
A to Z songs by title or group! 22 min xxxooxxx 1,828
Poll What are you thinking right now? (May '08) 2 hr The Finny 4,097
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 3 hr Fish_sticks 75,317