Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 216695 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

Level 2

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#105664 Nov 12, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Done the language thing with chuck before, it’s like banging your head against a wall, you show him facts and examples and evidence and he returns mythology and personal belief.
However - to the British/US differences, you have no idea how wrong you get “aluminium”
Dan is more approachable and knowledgeable than you. Losers always cry. Lol

Level 2

Location hidden

#105665 Nov 12, 2013
JM_Brazil wrote:
<quoted text>
It "belongs" to England? As in they "own" it? As in they could simply tell the US to stop using their language? Like, "I'm taking my ball and going home"?
Where did you come up with this notion?
No. I never said that. My position is that, English like France, should an international board that regulates the use of the language, to enhance linguistic excellence.

Level 2

Location hidden

#105666 Nov 12, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>I grew up in the Missouri Ozarks. You are just getting started on the differences.
Charles recognizes the differences in language, but I think he has a misunderstanding of "ownership" and how it is applied. Or in the case of language, not applied.
Lol

Level 2

Location hidden

#105667 Nov 12, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>and Sioux and Ojibwe and Apache and N0avajo and Hopi belong to the US! what fun!
Not a recognised language in the US unlike the English language. More of your cry.

Level 2

Location hidden

#105668 Nov 12, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Aluminium was just and example, I’ve travelled a lot of the US and I though that the UK had a problem with dialect. Actually it seems to be not so much dialect but the pronunciation that differs across the US
Charlie just has myriad misunderstandings,“ownership” of a language is just one of them. Our first argument was when he blamed bad parenting for cot death. At that time my friends had recently lost a child in that way and he accused them of murder. Even thought he eventually apologised though me to my friends the anguish his ignorance caused is something he can never be forgiven for.
Humans hardly forgives. But as a child of God, i have apologised from my heart, whether you accept it or not, is not my concern, my concern is to God.

Level 2

Location hidden

#105669 Nov 12, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
He did, and from that moment I knew exactly the sort of sick personality he is
Likewise.

Level 2

Location hidden

#105670 Nov 12, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>"Independent "? No.
Wrong!
So why do we have several different languages in the earth?

Level 2

Location hidden

#105671 Nov 12, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Chuckie can't admit to even the slightest "oops" - not even in something as simple as choice of words.
Now he's locked on to his favourite obsession.
And he's still wrong.
Buffoon. Why synonyms, antonyms, etc?
English is a complex language incorporating many foreign words in addition to its own.

Level 2

Location hidden

#105672 Nov 12, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>Honestly Charles, I am no expert in languages or their origins. I suppose it depends on the extent you go back in history and where you draw the line between existing and pre-existing languages. I could be persuaded that it started in England given the proper evidence and constraints, but I couldn't say that owned it in the sense of property.
Take care Charles. I am off to play cards with Morpheus.
Wishing you the very best as ever. We have fought before but now we are friends despite our differences.
I think that is how the world should be.

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#105673 Nov 12, 2013
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> No. I never said that. My position is that, English like France, should an international board that regulates the use of the language, to enhance linguistic excellence.
If English is owned by England why would the Board need to be international? In any case the actual speakers of English would simply ignore this Board.

Level 2

Location hidden

#105674 Nov 12, 2013
My stand on the English language is that, it should have an international board that regulates the use of English language like French( France), with its headquarters in England.

Level 2

Location hidden

#105675 Nov 12, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
If English is owned by England why would the Board need to be international? In any case the actual speakers of English would simply ignore this Board.
English started in England. Yes, international because we have other speakers of the language globally.
victoria1 unplugged

Ryde, UK

#105676 Nov 12, 2013
Charles Idemi wrote:
My stand on the English language is that, it should have an international board that regulates the use of English language like French( France), with its headquarters in England.
The Oxford University Press pretty much takes care of that.

Level 6

Location hidden

#105677 Nov 12, 2013
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> English started in England. Yes, international because we have other speakers of the language globally.
I dont care about this pointless argument. I dont suppose you have heard of the notion of public domain.

More interesting is the way the development of new languages provides a good analogy for the process of biological evolution.

Level 6

Location hidden

#105678 Nov 12, 2013
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Because i know that, English is not officially spoken in any of the mainland European countries.
If you are correct, what are the consequences?
If you are wrong, what are the consequnces?

Is there any actual point to this discussion, any practical consequence at all that depend on the outcome?

NO

That makes it an utter waste of time. You might as well be arguing about whether Jesus ever swatted a mosquito.

“When you treat people as they ”

Level 6

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#105679 Nov 12, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Now you can't really blame the U.S. on the spelling and pronunciation of Aluminum. Which is just fine. By the way how do Brits spell and pronounce "Platinum"? If anything the problem with Aluminum can be blamed on Sir Humphrey Davy. He named the element. His name was based upon the mineral alumina, Al2O3, and he naturally called it "Alumium". He scratched his head over that a few years and changed it to "Aluminum". Still not pleased he eventually changed it to "Aluminium". In the U.S. the second version caught on. In England the third:
http://www.worldwidewords.org/articles/alumin...
From your cited article,“His classically educated scientific colleagues preferred aluminium right from the start, because it had more of a classical ring, and chimed harmoniously with many other elements whose names ended in –ium, like potassium, sodium, and magnesium, all of which had been named by Davy.”

Just a thought!

I am not blaming anyone one, it’s the way we speak and spell but I foind it interesting. There is at least 3000 miles between the UK and US so there are bound to be differences in terminology. Hell I live more or less between Liverpool and Manchester (bit to the north) each is only 30 odd miles away and the difference in accents/dialects is awesome. Example “friend” in Manchester is “pal” or “mate” and in Liverpool is “wacker”

Platinum is spelt platinum and pronounced platinum

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#105680 Nov 12, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You might as well be arguing about whether Jesus ever swatted a mosquito.
Well, I heard Jesus *DID* swat a mosquito.

But then he raised it from the dead and said: "Go and sting no more".

The Book of Orkin, I think.
anonymous

Absecon, NJ

#105681 Nov 12, 2013
Charles Idemi wrote:
What are they going to do? Fine me for using slang? Liverpool would be in flames before nightfall!

Level 6

#105682 Nov 12, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Or "Pyjamas" - which I think is an Indo-Urgaic word anyway.
Can’t say I’ve seen an American in pyjamas

Level 6

#105683 Nov 12, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Chuckie can't admit to even the slightest "oops" - not even in something as simple as choice of words.
Now he's locked on to his favourite obsession.
And he's still wrong.
He did apologise for his lying abuses of the percents of cot death children. But I really don’t believe it was a sincere apology, just something he thought he should do to stay on his gods good side. I.e. the guilt of his abuse of the dead and grieving eventually got to him.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Denny Crain's Place (May '10) 1 min Denny CranesPlace 20,450
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 4 min Denny CranesPlace 67,156
Any Word ! (Mar '11) 5 min Princess Hey 6,395
Let's play "follow the word" (Jun '08) 10 min Princess Hey 48,260
News Trump's bizarre claim that the Clinton email co... 11 min Rider on the Storm 999
Last 3 Letters into 3 new words. (Dec '08) 28 min Mr_FX 61,050
Post any FOUR words (Feb '16) 29 min Mr_FX 2,380
What Turns You Off (Jun '11) 45 min Bad Bex 10,580
All Christmas Carols/Songs and Quotes.. 52 min Truth 55
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 1 hr Sublime1 206,953
More from around the web