Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 222739 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#105474 Nov 8, 2013
replaytime wrote:
Let me address this one. Is your computer you rant from a design? Is the internet you use to rant from a design? Is the TV you watch from a design? Is the phone you use from a design?
Yes they are. Thankfully they work because evolution works. Evolution works because science works.
replaytime wrote:
Name me something you use everyday that isn't from a design?
Air.

Okay, well the problem here is that there's nothing I can name that God may have potentially "designed". But uh, you DO know that's YOUR claim you gotta back up, right?
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#105475 Nov 8, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
What are the real distinctions between living systems and human designed objects?
Perhaps he hasn't discovered that yet.

“It is what it is”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#105476 Nov 8, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure, which is why you've been ducking, dodging and diving for weeks now. Keep it up and you'll end up like Bo. Not exactly a great role model, but hey, whatever you want man...
See I give you a chance and you still just rant with a little biocthing thrown in. That is all you know how to do and you never post anything worth addressing. I rest my case.

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#105477 Nov 8, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me address this one. Is your computer you rant from a design? Is the internet you use to rant from a design? Is the TV you watch from a design? Is the phone you use from a design? Name me something you use everyday that isn't from a design?
Yes the object you named are designed. So what is your point - that complex objects can be designed, therefore all complex object must be designed?

What are the differences between the objects you named and living systems? There are many, and those differences matter.

“Do not bend, fold, staple or”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

mutilate. Point down range.

#105478 Nov 8, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes they are. Thankfully they work because evolution works. Evolution works because science works.
<quoted text>
Air.
Okay, well the problem here is that there's nothing I can name that God may have potentially "designed". But uh, you DO know that's YOUR claim you gotta back up, right?
Water. A tree wasn't designed for climbing, but if I climb it, does that count?

Level 2

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#105480 Nov 8, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>so this creator you believe in, that was life that created life? is that what you are saying? if not, then abiogenesis did happen.
relax , breath you are speaking incoherently , or is this normal for you?

Level 9

#105481 Nov 8, 2013
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
So that is a no Danfromfagville, there is no evidence .
Did something I posted upset you? Good! ROFL!!!

“It is what it is”

Level 5

Location hidden

#105482 Nov 8, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes the object you named are designed. So what is your point - that complex objects can be designed, therefore all complex object must be designed?
What are the differences between the objects you named and living systems? There are many, and those differences matter.
The biggest difference between the things I named and living systems,,, the things I named are in reality simple systems compared to living systems. But yet the simple systems need a designer. Enough said on that.

Level 2

Location hidden

#105483 Nov 8, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>i ddin;t say i had evidence of it. i am saying without this maic it would be just chemistry /biology.
you really have a hard time with a logical conversation, don't you?
you brought up magic, that would be your god myth. would this god be life creating life? or would that also be life coming from nonlife,i. e. abiogenesis?
i ddin;t say I had evidence of it.i am saying without this maic it would.....

yep you are incoherent

Level 9

#105484 Nov 8, 2013
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
relax , breath you are speaking incoherently , or is this normal for you?
You really bring something to the debate. It is unfortunate that it has no value and isn't even useful to you.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#105485 Nov 8, 2013
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
So that is a no Danfromfagville, there is no evidence .
Wrong, of course since this is in response to blofart that goes without saying.

Abiogenesis is a hypothesis. We have evidence that supports it. We don't have enough evidence to make it a theory, yet.

You don't know what evidence is. A regular person could learn what counts as evidence. You.... not so much.

Level 2

Location hidden

#105486 Nov 8, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually DNA is ONLY known to arise via natural processes.
This is the problem when you appeal to authorities who attempt to speak out of their area of expertise. It's even worse than asking Fred Hoyle's opinion of the Big Bang.
Shh! don't tell anyone else that DNA arises only from natural processes.

It's your secret , no one else knows!

Level 9

#105487 Nov 8, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Teleological argument rears its head again.

“It is what it is”

Level 5

Location hidden

#105488 Nov 8, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Abiogenesis is a hypothesis. We have evidence that supports it. We don't have enough evidence to make it a theory, yet.
You don't know what evidence is. A regular person could learn what counts as evidence. You.... not so much.
What is a hypothesis? Lets take this a step at a time this way no gets lost this time.

Level 2

Location hidden

#105489 Nov 8, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
What are the real distinctions between living systems and human designed objects?
Living systems develop from the molecular level up - "inside out". Human objects are usually built from the outside in - moulded, carved and shaped, bolted together, but seldom grown.
Living systems reproduce with heredity, and at least above the level of bacteria, cannot borrow complex structures from other lineages. This strict nested hierarchy is totally different from human design parameters.
Complexity is not a marker of design. In fact until very recently, no designed objects were remotely as complex as living systems. Sometimes living systems are in fact ridiculously complex with huge redundancy and a simpler outcome could have been intelligently designed. But evolution is a mindless complexity generator, endlessly tinkering and adding to systems without foresight.
So, no, its your chosen standards of comparison that are illogical, not evolution.
Two idiotic comments

Where did the first living system acquire it's heredity.

Complexity is not a marker of design? flagellum motor

Level 9

#105490 Nov 8, 2013
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
Shh! don't tell anyone else that DNA arises only from natural processes.
It's your secret , no one else knows!
Learn something new did ya.

Level 9

#105491 Nov 9, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. I am surprised he didn't just register under that name.

Bugfart is still stuck on the bacterial flagellar motor example that was, is and will continue to be refuted as an argument for design. He may not even be aware of this considering his understanding of evidence is non-existent as you point out.

Level 6

Location hidden

#105492 Nov 9, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
The biggest difference between the things I named and living systems,,, the things I named are in reality simple systems compared to living systems. But yet the simple systems need a designer. Enough said on that.
No, not enough said on that. Because degree of complexity is obviously NOT the criterion of design versus evolution. Evolution is a complexity generator. If you want to lazily rely on false criteria then you will lazily get wrong answers.

The differences between man made and living systems are far more numerous and interesting than just complexity.

Living things reproduce with heredity. They grow from the inside out, viable as living things from the tiniest to the largest size. Living system structures are constrained by what went before. Design can borrow from any existing design but living things cannot, which is why bats don't have feathers and birds don't have sonar, even though a composite of both would probably be better than either one is now.

Those are just a few of the salient ways that living things differ from TV sets. And its interesting to look at and think about.

Level 6

Location hidden

#105493 Nov 9, 2013
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
Two idiotic comments
Where did the first living system acquire it's heredity.
Complexity is not a marker of design? flagellum motor
You are right. You just made two idiotic comments.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#105494 Nov 9, 2013
buckwheat wrote:
<quoted text>Mainland Europe? So, It started in Spain, France, Italy, Germany...etc.? Huh, you'd think those countries would have their own language such as Spanish, French, Italian, and German.
If you want to teach, you have to learn first. The United Kingdom, where English was first spoke, is an Island.
No, diddletwit.

The Angles and the Saxons were both immigrant peoples from Northern Europe. The Britons came from France, as did the Normans.

I doubt you can read Middle English. Never mind Old.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
7 Letter Word, Change 1 Letter (Oct '15) 15 min -TheExam- 1,660
Denny Crain's Place (May '10) 35 min Rosa 27,327
*add A word / drop a word* (Nov '12) 35 min Nannabella 17,636
~`*`~ Create a sentence using the 'letters' of ... (Oct '12) 37 min -TheExam- 4,184
Replace one letter in word>>> (Oct '15) 38 min Nannabella 346
Name something that gets past around (Feb '14) 55 min Crazy Jae 876
Make A Sentance out of a 5 letter word. (Nov '09) 1 hr -TheExam- 38,456
Poll What are you thinking right now? (May '08) 1 hr Crazy Jae 6,043
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 1 hr Weazy Street 223,354
Phrases that you don't hear very often (Nov '11) 4 hr wichita-rick 764
More from around the web