Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 209627 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#105293 Nov 8, 2013
Igor Trip wrote:
<quoted text>
So who here has ever claimed to know everything?
Please name names and provide the relevant topix posts.
Well, Subduction_Zone became the new messiah briefly, so i would assume that would give him impotence..ooops! sorry bud!.. omnipotence.

it was cool but then i asked to have one of his used tissues to sell off for millions and the mob got involved, and that was OK cuz, ya know he's the messiah... so big whoop about the mob, right? but then the unions got involved and the messiah and i ran screaming like scared little girl scouts...

it wasn't pretty....

Level 2

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#105294 Nov 8, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Ignored on the grounds that you are stupid
Likewise.

St. Croix valley

#105295 Nov 8, 2013
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> English is the major language in the US, that is recognised, and that English were influenced by the English( people of England).
but all the native american languages that formed on what would become US land, also belong to the US right? by your logic...

sorry, "logic".

Level 2

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#105296 Nov 8, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Ignored on the grounds that you are stupid
Simple. You can not answer the question.

Level 1

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#105297 Nov 8, 2013
PROFESSOR X wrote:
Atheistic Scientists were Humiliated As Their Junk DNA Evolution Paradigm recently Collapsed
Anti-theistic scientists, Ken Miller, Ayala, Dawkins, Collins, Falk and other junk DNA proponents made failed observations about DNA, such that their Darwinian evolution paradigm has collapsed. Not that long ago, junk DNA was being defended as an important element of the Darwinian evolution paradigm ... The question now seems to be whether Ayala, Dawkins, Collins, Falk and other junk DNA proponents will continue to defend junk DNA, whatever they call it?- Rob Crowther,PhD
Evolutionary Biologist Richard Sternberg discusses modern genomics and the collapse of evolutionists junk DNA theory.
http://www.cross.tv/66770
Doubt Atheism & Question Darwinism
http://www.evolutionfacts.blogspot.com
Shucks.....anybody with a functioning brain knows that the universe was created 6000 years ago during October on a Tuesday.

Adam's pet was a saddled Tyrannosaurus rex from the Theropod group:

http://shame-full.com/wp-content/uploads/2013...

Level 1

Location hidden

#105298 Nov 8, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>Whether or not you want to believe it, there is a purpose of life. God created mankind because she was lonely and it is her intent for all of us to live past this earthly life and enter heaven. God was Israels ancient king and she is coming to reclaim that throne. Jesus is not God, or any part of God. He was satans false messiah and came to finish his work. He is the master deceiver and he will burst into flames. Ezekiel 28:18. I know that there is a God and one day you will too. The world is set up to accept her and she could come at any time.
We knew you would have the answer. You read the fairy tale written by camel herders who believed in witches and thought the earth was flat. How could anything they said be wrong?

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#105299 Nov 8, 2013
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
I have to aim low for this audience.
Each to their abilities, I suppose. You can only do as much as you're capable of... I understand.

St. Croix valley

#105300 Nov 8, 2013
Angel9999 wrote:
<quoted text>
Shucks.....anybody with a functioning brain knows that the universe was created 6000 years ago during October on a Tuesday.
Adam's pet was a saddled Tyrannosaurus rex from the Theropod group:
http://shame-full.com/wp-content/uploads/2013...
Tuesday?!?!? i thought it was a Wednesday and i forgot to take the recycling out. man, after 6,000 years, that is gonna stink!

St. Croix valley

#105301 Nov 8, 2013
Angel9999 wrote:
<quoted text>
We knew you would have the answer. You read the fairy tale written by camel herders who believed in witches and thought the earth was flat. How could anything they said be wrong?
Oh jeez..(intended) don't bring up the flat earth thing again...

we're rehashing the english language thing and if the two of them get going together we may actually tear the fabric of space-time, drop a black hole through it, and clog up the entire plumbing system of the multi-verse...do you know what plumbers charge these days?

Level 1

Location hidden

#105302 Nov 8, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>Whether or not you want to believe it, there is a purpose of life. God created mankind because she was lonely and it is her intent for all of us to live past this earthly life and enter heaven. God was Israels ancient king and she is coming to reclaim that throne. Jesus is not God, or any part of God. He was satans false messiah and came to finish his work. He is the master deceiver and he will burst into flames. Ezekiel 28:18. I know that there is a God and one day you will too. The world is set up to accept her and she could come at any time.
A woman who believes the crap written in the bible must surely suffer with low self esteem:

LIE #1. GOD'S ULTIMATE PLAN FOR WOMEN IS THAT THEY SERVE THEIR HUSBANDS.

LIE #2. WOMEN CAN'T BE FULFILLED OR SPIRITUALLY EFFECTIVE WITHOUT A HUSBAND.

LIE #3. WOMEN SHOULDN'T WORK OUTSIDE THE HOME.

LIE #4. WOMEN MUST OBEDIENTLY SUBMIT TO THEIR HUSBANDS IN ALL SITUATIONS.

LIE #5. A MAN NEEDS TO "COVER" A WOMAN IN HER MINISTRY ACTIVITIES.

LIE #6. A WOMAN SHOULD VIEW HER HUSBAND AS THE "PRIEST OF THE HOME."

LIE #7. WOMEN ARE NOT EQUIPPED TO ASSUME LEADERSHIP ROLES.

LIE #8: WOMEN MUST NOT TEACH OR PREACH TO MEN IN A CHURCH SETTING.

LIE #9. WOMEN ARE MORE EASILY DECEIVED THAN MEN.

LIE #10: WOMEN WHO EXHIBIT STRONG LEADERSHIP QUALITIES HAVE A "SPIRIT OF JEZEBEL."

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#105303 Nov 8, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
I found it interesting and just wanted your input on it.
The theories range from 10^24 to 10^45 for the half-life of a proton, which is a large difference from 13.7 x 10^9 age of the universe. So yes the age of the universe is very small compared to the time it would take for the black death of the universe to settle in.
Though being proton decay is random there are some that believe some protons do decay before half-life, even though with extreme rarity, it should be possible to "catch one in the act" so to speak.
Some say since it is supposed to be random, half-life = 10^40 years, an experimental sample = 10^40 protons, chance of seeing 1 event in a year: 50%.
Others argue though some may decay before half-life since it is random that it may never be seen. For example number of protons at 10^90 power with 1-2 decaying early that one would never see such an event based on the sheer numbers alone.
And there have been massive experiments done which have shown the 'faster' decays rates (and the corresponding thoeries) are wrong. According to the particle data group (which collects the most recent information), the decay of the proton has a mean lifetime (slightly different than a half-life--the half-life is longer) of at least 2.1*10^29 years (where this allows for 'invisible' decays).

For 'visible' decays (like the decay into a positron and a meson), the mean lifetime is limited also. So, for the decay into a positron and a pion, the lifetime is at least 1.6*10^33 years. For the decay into a positive muon and a pion, it is at least 4.7*10^32 years, etc.

There would certainly be decays before the half-life, but the problem is sorting any decay signature from all the background events (muon decays from cosmic rays, for example). The figure of 10^90 protons is for the whole observable universe. The probabilities get much smaller when you look at a large vat of water in a cave.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#105304 Nov 8, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>Very interesting. I sat in on a lecture last evening given by Joe Lykken on the Higgs boson. He mentioned complexity of the standard model and that it is complicated. Among the questions that came up were the possibility that dark matter might be composed of differing particles much as regular matter is. Questions ended before I could ask about anti-dark matter. Not being trained in physics, I am not even sure if that is a good question.
Yes, some of the extensions to the standard model would have versions of anti-dark matter. But not all. For example, if a dark matter particle is the axion, then it (like the photon) does not have an anti-particle. But is the dark matter particle is, say, a slepton, then it would.

We simply do not know.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#105305 Nov 8, 2013
mike hock wrote:
<quoted text> agree. anid I would go even farther to say we don't FULLY know anything, only the best explanation SO FAR. explanations like evolution of species. given enough time, an even better one will come along. for purposes of this thread, i might add that any explanation is better than a fairy tale.
Yes, absolute precision is impossible. So 'full' knowledge is not available. But that doesn'e mean we can't have really good *approximations* and that those approximations get batter over time.

Some things are known in enough detail that we can have a lot of confidence in them: that planets orbit the sun, that water is made from atoms of hydrogen and oxygen, that species change over geological time. We have not have every decimal point on the energy levels of water at every temperature, but we do know enough to make steam engines. We may not know the descriptions of semi-conductors at the level of QCD, but we know enough to make very good computers.

Absolute knowledge is a pipe-dream: a goal that cannot be attained. But getting better and better approximations over time *is* achievable and is actually done in practice.

“When you treat people as they ”

Level 6

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#105306 Nov 8, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>No, dimwit. It started in Mainland Europe.
Been there, shown him examples and word histories and roots, academic explanations of language developments and word comparisons and identical word usage in other languages. It makes no difference to a fundy

Level 6

#105307 Nov 8, 2013
Chilli J wrote:
<quoted text>
Some confirm here, daily, that they much more closely resemble plant life than others do! LOL
I am of the opinion that plant life has more intelligence thamm some of the fundies on here

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#105308 Nov 8, 2013
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Name one place without the influence of England, that takes English as first or official language?
Why does that convey ownership? The question isn't one of where the language originated. It is a question of *ownership*. Most people here are simply claiming that languages are not OWNED by anyone at all. Ownership implies the ability to control and nobody has that ability for any natural language.

So, why would priority of origin imply *ownership*?

Level 6

#105309 Nov 8, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>The thing is, Christians actually believe the lies they tell. And it's not just simple lying, it's false witness. There is a difference. They've had centuries to come up with long, complicated answers to plain and clear questions. The scriptures prove their god is false. The religion I call the Truth is based upon real events and the OT scriptures verify it. If the bible didn't exist, there would be no proof of God.
So you agree that christians lie even after telling the world that they don’t. not so nice turn about there

I have asked you before and it seems you have ignored the advice for some reason, Look up the meaning of the word ‘truth’, just because you are ignorant of the meaning does not mean every one else is

Nope, the religion you believe is a carefully cherry picked hodge podge from variosus god books that you have engineers to fit your own neurosis

There is no proof of god, bible or not

“Proud Member”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

The Basket of Deplorables

#105310 Nov 8, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, absolute precision is impossible. So 'full' knowledge is not available. But that doesn'e mean we can't have really good *approximations* and that those approximations get batter over time.
Some things are known in enough detail that we can have a lot of confidence in them: that planets orbit the sun, that water is made from atoms of hydrogen and oxygen, that species change over geological time. We have not have every decimal point on the energy levels of water at every temperature, but we do know enough to make steam engines. We may not know the descriptions of semi-conductors at the level of QCD, but we know enough to make very good computers.
Absolute knowledge is a pipe-dream: a goal that cannot be attained. But getting better and better approximations over time *is* achievable and is actually done in practice.
Some things we know quite well, and can't be improved very much, unless you just add decimal places to infinity. Like frequencies and the physical measure of things. When we nail down time to 1 second in 3.7 billion years , I consider that near absolute understanding.

Level 6

#105311 Nov 8, 2013
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Simple. You can not answer the question.
You ignorant moron iyt was not a question, it was you proclaiming a typical Charie Idiot stupidity. I have spend sever weeks answering your ignorant statement with examples and academic evidence.

As a good godbot fundy you choose to ignore that evidence. Your ignorance is your problem, not mine.

I choose not to waste any more of my time on your stupidity over the subject of language

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#105312 Nov 8, 2013
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
"information is information, neither matter nor energy .No materialist that fails to take account of this can survive the present day...
Norbert Weiner ....MIT Mathematician and father of cybernetics
there is no natural process known to science that creates coded information...like DNA.
Think anyone has answers?
When two physical things interact, it is possible that the detailed properties of the two things are changed. The change is information about that interaction. That is what information *is*: a physical property that is different from some 'standard' in a way that is different because of an interaction with something else.

Information is common: a penny on the groun is information that there is a society able to make coins, mine copper, and that there was a method of conveyance to the site of that penny. A log in a forest has information about the tree, the environment of that forest, the atmosphere, etc.

The term 'coded information' is also a misnomer: ALL information is coded. It is 'coded' in the properties that reflect the interaction.

Now,'natural' codes like the DNA-protein 'code' are quite different than human designed codes. Human codes are made to convey abstract information that has no actual bearing on the precise physical structures carrying the information: whether we use graphite on paper, magnetic fields on a hard-drive, or pixels on a screen. Natural codes, on the other hand, are directly related to the physical processes they 'encode': protein density affects the rates of certain reations, that affects how much DNA is transcribed, etc. The loop is much, much smaller in natural systems than in human systems. It is also not 'abstract' information: the information has direct ties to the immediate physical situation.

You need to go learn what information actually is and how it is made and used.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
last word/first word. (Apr '12) 7 min andet1987 6,878
Make up your wildest Headline. (Aug '08) 8 min Sparky 844
News Priests and nuns hold bizarre ceremony to 'puri... 9 min Daniel 19
"Any 3 word combination" (Dec '12) 9 min Mila Beaujolais 3,060
News Having sex makes men more likely to believe in ... 11 min wichita-rick 10
Post any FOUR words (Feb '16) 11 min andet1987 1,379
last word - first (Jun '12) 12 min Mila Beaujolais 8,039
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 18 min unreals_dad 200,831
What turns you on ? (Aug '11) 26 min unreals_dad 431
Last Post Wins! (Aug '08) 27 min Princess Hey 147,200