Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 201047 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

“Dinosaurs survived the flood!”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

Jesus probably rode dinosaurs!

#105009 Nov 5, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
Sorry "gold" should be "golf".
You know they had golf at my school over 30 years ago. I used to play on this course that was right by an small airport. Kind of cool to get in few rounds and watch the planes.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#105010 Nov 5, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
It shows you are not that old yet. Golf is in middle school and up as a sport and recreation. They don't have it in your elementary level yet. But hang in there.
Yes, they did in my day too. It is still an old man's game.

Level 9

#105011 Nov 5, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
More rambling by this threads current resident idiot.
I thought that was a shared title.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#105012 Nov 5, 2013
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
Here is some more sucking bone idiocy:
He comments on his own post saying they are skeptical, must have been written by creatards.
And the writers of the dictionary let their bias lead them to error!
And this is what he posts to support himself!
He is really a idiot on a megaton scale.
It's really not even fun to mock him anymore,
he's doing so great on his own.
Oh you poor poor moron.

I pointed out errors in a post of mine.

I pointed out obvious bias and a poor definition in the dictionary that still did not agree with you. Even with their error.

Again, I feel pity for you. Worse yet I feel pity for the people who have to feed you and change you.

Level 9

#105013 Nov 5, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, they did in my day too. It is still an old man's game.
I saw George Carlin live once. He had this whole routine about golf and golf courses. He was not very fond of either.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#105014 Nov 5, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>I thought that was a shared title.
Sorry, but replaytime is only a close second.

Level 9

#105015 Nov 5, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, but replaytime is only a close second.
I was thinking SBT, but replay is closing.
davy

Albuquerque, NM

#105016 Nov 5, 2013
Old man's game.
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
It shows you are not that old yet. Golf is in middle school and up as a sport and recreation. They don't have it in your elementary level yet. But hang in there.

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#105017 Nov 5, 2013
replaytime wrote:
Not once is their comment did they insinuate that. So you just made up BS as usual.
No, Maz did not insinuate that they had been running labs for millions of years.

But she did claim they have tried everything.

The fact is, "everything" has to take into account every environmental condition on every part of the earth over a period of millions and millions of years, for her claim to be on the mark. Untold thousands of potential chemical combinations, different substrates from clays to puddles to deep sea vents, temperatures, Ph ranges, etc etc etc.

Woodtick was merely pointing to the actual logical repercussions of her false claim, to show how absurd it was. We have only known about the genome for 60 years and abiogenesis research is a tiny proportion of all research anyway.

Sometimes you guys are two faced on this. You love to claim science does not know everything (true) but somehow expect that if science cannot get to the bottom of one of the deepest mysteries of the universe in three months then its case closed.

Well, the best minds and the biggest budgets in science have been trying to reconcile QM and relativity for nearly a century and they still haven't cracked that one either. Scientists have been trying to work out the dietary causes of heart disease for 60 years and the question is still not resolved.

You are crazy if you think that abiogenesis should be an easy nut to crack.

And he was right.

Level 6

Location hidden

#105018 Nov 5, 2013
SBT wrote:
<quoted text>
Two teams are standing in front of a group of 5th graders. One presents the proton motor piece by piece using analogies from actual mechanisms known to even a 5th grader equipped with a Radio Shack electronics kit and chem set. Then the presenter displays MO-1 version and its 100 fold advancements recently discovered, including its 7 motors and 24 flagella working perfectly in its synchronous planetary gear set in all its marvels.
You and SZ stand up and tell them we have a paper that's 12 years old and and it controverts everything SBT claims, even explains MO-1 and all its added complexity without it ever being studied. I would show them the latest aircraft and helicopter geared systems to operate very close to MO-1, be even less complicated.
You tell them absolutely No intelligence was involved in this added complexity, that chance and time did it because this decade older paper says so and you know that anything can be made with enough time like this apparatus.
I stand up and ask them does anyone here believe Scotty from Star Trek with his Phasers, Shields and Warp Drive wouldn't think you so foolish to believe a mindless, non-existent Time God made all his stuff, and that some of these parts are just as complicated or even more than his, because we don't understand how these parts work and Scotty does his, and yet these two gentlemen expect you to believe in their Time God who is non-existent is so brilliant to create such tiny marvels. Then I would ask them who has faith in your mindless nothingness Time God?, raise your hands. Then I would ask who believes these motors require intelligence acting on matter to work, with the video of the planetary geared system turning in the background?, that's when the snickering would begin. And by the way, I posted the explanation challenge to you both. Poor tactic, only makes me more motivated to educate our audience here further on this.
http://www.pnas.org/content/suppl/2012/11/22/...
Behe's claim that the flagellum is irreducibly complex was falsified. Likewise his claims about the immune system and the blood clotting cascade.

The fact is, IC is a hypothesis that fails even in principle. You cannot in advance know and rule out every possible pathway to any mechanism, unless you claim to be God. We are under no obligation to explain every single step of everything...we have enough examples to show that it works on a macro-scale, such as the 3-boned middle ear transitions in mammals, all supported by fossil evidence.

Evolution is a complexity generator par excellence...and your lying assertion that biologists just attribute everything to "time" is absurd. They attribute evolution to a mechanism, all of whose components are readily observable and confirmed.

Time to tell you and your asinine buddies that the world was not built around the conclusions you WANT to be true. It is what it is, and you have to adjust to the consequences. Yes, you are going to die. Get over it.

Level 9

#105019 Nov 5, 2013
I am losing the ability to suspend disbelief. I started watching a show tonight called "Walking Dead". Some mystery contagion has swept the world turning most of the population into flesh-eating zombies. It is a pretty good story, with decent acting and effects. I began watching shortly after the program had started and there was a scene with one of the main characters, a sheriff, confronting what he thought was a scared little girl. She turns around and you can see she doesn't have the lower half of her face. Now the first thing I think is how can this thing composed of necrotic tissue function. All the biochemical pathways have broken down, cell membranes have degraded. If the organs are dead, none of the necessary functions are being carried out. Not to mention the host of microbial flora that are starting to take over the body from within and without. I mentioned that they are flesh-eating, but I can't imagine what good that would do them or why they would need to eat.

I really don't think I have lost the ability to suspend disbelief for the pleasure of entertainment. I just don't have the same ignorance I did as a child. I don't attribute supernatural origins to every phenomenon I encounter, but don't fully understand. It doesn't frighten me when there are real, concrete answers to questions that cross into my belief system.

Level 2

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#105020 Nov 5, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>You sat down and spent your time writing this and you talk about mocking others. Precious.
Try harder ,he needs all the help he can get
fossils

San Jose, CA

#105021 Nov 5, 2013
I love the fact there is no real fossil record of man from the apes to man. Well unless you take into account the ones made up of ape bones and a lot of plaster. Leakey proved that game true.

Level 6

Location hidden

#105022 Nov 5, 2013
fossils wrote:
I love the fact there is no real fossil record of man from the apes to man. Well unless you take into account the ones made up of ape bones and a lot of plaster. Leakey proved that game true.
Too dumb for further comment.

Level 6

Location hidden

#105023 Nov 5, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
I am losing the ability to suspend disbelief. I started watching a show tonight called "Walking Dead". Some mystery contagion has swept the world turning most of the population into flesh-eating zombies. It is a pretty good story, with decent acting and effects. I began watching shortly after the program had started and there was a scene with one of the main characters, a sheriff, confronting what he thought was a scared little girl. She turns around and you can see she doesn't have the lower half of her face. Now the first thing I think is how can this thing composed of necrotic tissue function. All the biochemical pathways have broken down, cell membranes have degraded. If the organs are dead, none of the necessary functions are being carried out. Not to mention the host of microbial flora that are starting to take over the body from within and without. I mentioned that they are flesh-eating, but I can't imagine what good that would do them or why they would need to eat.
I really don't think I have lost the ability to suspend disbelief for the pleasure of entertainment. I just don't have the same ignorance I did as a child. I don't attribute supernatural origins to every phenomenon I encounter, but don't fully understand. It doesn't frighten me when there are real, concrete answers to questions that cross into my belief system.
Never did get into zombie movies.

Now pandemic movies is another story.
Justice LRS

Shreveport, LA

#105024 Nov 5, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Very big of you to admit that!

Level 6

Location hidden

#105025 Nov 5, 2013
mike hock wrote:
The god argument is based on fear and fear alone. fear of the unknown. fear of mortality . the rest are just arguments to justify that fear. you are jealous of the birds and the bees because without intelligence they are free of these horrors. but be careful, scientists, with your perspective. don't be arrogant. evolution is a zero sum game. we traded our youth for intelligence, leaving us vulnerable to all sort of indoctrinations and dependancies, what with our big heads and all..always consider that whatever it is, we could be looking at it all wrong. that said, never, ever cop out and resort to make believe. the continuum in which we exist is too wonderous and awe inspiring to turn our back on in such ways
Yep.

“Ask Randy From Ballwin”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

He Is A Sock Know It All

#105026 Nov 5, 2013
mike hock wrote:
The god argument is based on fear and fear alone. fear of the unknown. fear of mortality . the rest are just arguments to justify that fear. you are jealous of the birds and the bees because without intelligence they are free of these horrors. but be careful, scientists, with your perspective. don't be arrogant. evolution is a zero sum game. we traded our youth for intelligence, leaving us vulnerable to all sort of indoctrinations and dependancies, what with our big heads and all..always consider that whatever it is, we could be looking at it all wrong. that said, never, ever cop out and resort to make believe. the continuum in which we exist is too wonderous and awe inspiring to turn our back on in such ways
Yes and no. Some base it on fear. Some base it on hope. Some base it on belief. Some fear going to hell. Some hope to get out of this hell and go to heaven. Some just believe and hope for the best.
fossils

San Jose, CA

#105027 Nov 5, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
In other words, there is no evidence and you cannot prove anything, thanks.

Level 6

Location hidden

#105028 Nov 6, 2013
fossils wrote:
<quoted text>
In other words, there is no evidence and you cannot prove anything, thanks.
Its obvious that you have never surveyed any of the evidence. Just stay stupid, you won't be missed.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 3 min Sharlene45 194,164
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 9 min Denny CranesPlace 58,052
Crystal_Clears Kitchen (Refurbished) (Jan '16) 44 min Lucy the First 8,459
What Could Be Hot? (May '15) 49 min Northbound 768
A six word game (Dec '08) 58 min Parden Pard 19,447
Answer a question with a question (Apr '15) 1 hr Grace Nerissa 2,720
The last word in the sentence must rhyme with t... (Aug '15) 1 hr Grace Nerissa 1,131
TRUMP, Donald (Jun '15) 10 hr Family man 145
What Turns You Off (Jun '11) 11 hr Jack 7,790
More from around the web