Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 195635 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#104784 Nov 5, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
A word of warning, replaytime thinks of his god as "living" and therefore if that god used some sort of magic to start life that does not qualify as abiogenesis. Yet by the definition of abiogenesis most would say that it does.
The "living god" thing was the favorite game of Marksman11.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#104785 Nov 5, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Where is your evidence that proves God of the bible false?
Funny you always claim that but never back it up.
Now the bible was written by man, so it is not perfect and has mistakes just like anything else man has done. And in your own words you say the bible can't be used as evidence. So how can you use it for evidence against God?
Where else do you get any information about THAT god except from the bible?

“Ask Randy From Ballwin”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

He Is A Sock Know It All

#104786 Nov 5, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
You seem to have missed the sarcasm.
Sarcasm is one thing but he wasn't being sarcastic. Read his last few posts. They show that.

St. Croix valley

#104787 Nov 5, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
The only God we speak of is "God the creator" He is the only God I believe in. So to me he is saying God is proven false.
You understand the difference there? We don't talk about Zues or Poseidon or etc etc do we?
yeah, ummmm...we've been around this one already...

where do you get your concept of this god you believe in except from that bible? or did you create this god yourself, which brings us back to a man-made god again...

you already lost this debate, why are you trying it again?

“Ask Randy From Ballwin”

Level 5

He Is A Sock Know It All

#104788 Nov 5, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, your personal prejudiced assumes your "God" is the only possibility. You are misunderstanding what he has claimed.
The reason we don't speak about other gods is that no one believes in them. Why didn't you mention Allah or the various Hindu gods, hmm, I wonder why?
God is God whether another culture calls him Allah or what ever.

Allah(the Arabic word for God) means God the creator and sustainer of the universe.

“Ask Randy From Ballwin”

Level 5

He Is A Sock Know It All

#104789 Nov 5, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>Where else do you get any information about THAT god except from the bible?
So like I said. A book you say can't be used for evidence is what you are using for evidence. That is logical as can be huh. lol

“Ask Randy From Ballwin”

Level 5

He Is A Sock Know It All

#104790 Nov 5, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
A word of warning, replaytime thinks of his god as "living" and therefore if that god used some sort of magic to start life that does not qualify as abiogenesis. Yet by the definition of abiogenesis most would say that it does.
What would you say is the definition of abiogenesis?

St. Croix valley

#104791 Nov 5, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, your personal prejudiced assumes your "God" is the only possibility. You are misunderstanding what he has claimed.
The reason we don't speak about other gods is that no one believes in them. Why didn't you mention Allah or the various Hindu gods, hmm, I wonder why?
allah is the same god, different sect of the abrahamic cult, but still the god of abraham...

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#104792 Nov 5, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
On that same note unless you can show that every potential pathway for God to exist has been explored then you cannot say God is impossible, proven false or canít exist.
And I never have.

St. Croix valley

#104793 Nov 5, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
So like I said. A book you say can't be used for evidence is what you are using for evidence. That is logical as can be huh. lol
when did i say it cannot be used as evidence? it is the book that creates this god, it is the book that proves this god to be false.

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#104794 Nov 5, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Sarcasm is one thing but he wasn't being sarcastic. Read his last few posts. They show that.
I read them all (well except maybe for Chuckles and Jimbo) and I'll disagree.

I understood his point to be it is unrealistic to expect a serious field of study of a process that took billions of years to be solved in far less than 100 years.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#104795 Nov 5, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
God is God whether another culture calls him Allah or what ever.
Allah(the Arabic word for God) means God the creator and sustainer of the universe.
Followers of those various religions would disagree with you.

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#104796 Nov 5, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
From Wiki:
"...the hypothetical natural process by which life arises from simple organic compounds."

Problem?

Level 2

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#104797 Nov 5, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
There is evidence this happened.
Starting with stromatolites , the biosphere was created.
The mystery begins with "How did Cyanobacteria evolve?"
From self replicating molecules that formed into RNA chains.
We have been able to make organic matter form into self replicating molecules. It only need time to form into Cyanobacteria. While we haven't been able to quite make what is considered life, we are close...very close, and the evidence is that this is how it happened. The organic matter is there , and we have found several ways it could have made the jump to living.
It won't be long before we do, find out how it happened.
http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/bacteria/cyanofr...
http://news.discovery.com/tech/biotechnology/...
http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2009/05/rib...
Hmm? nothing here about inanimate matter coming to life. Did you provide the wrong link?

Level 9

Everett, WA

#104798 Nov 5, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>allah is the same god, different sect of the abrahamic cult, but still the god of abraham...
You could make a very very good case for all of the Abrahamic versions of god as a general case of not existing. If they are dependent upon the Old Testament it can be shown that their god is not real.

I do not know enough about the Hindu gods, but again a good case about their nonexistence could be probably argued too based upon the claims of their followers.

I will let you carry on the theological argument with replaytime.

Have fun.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#104799 Nov 5, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
I would say that the definition that MikeF gave you is what happened. But it you want to be picky single cell life being magicked into existence would be included. I don't think that is what happened, but it would fit the etymology of the word.

“Ask Randy From Ballwin”

Level 5

He Is A Sock Know It All

#104800 Nov 5, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
From Wiki:
"...the hypothetical natural process by which life arises from simple organic compounds."
Problem?
Nope just like I said "assumes"

hypothetical - assumed by hypothesis.

hypothesis - assumption: a statement that is assumed to be true for the sake of argument

Level 9

Everett, WA

#104801 Nov 5, 2013
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmm? nothing here about inanimate matter coming to life. Did you provide the wrong link?
Did you read only the first link?

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#104802 Nov 5, 2013
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
Ha,Ha,Ha, oh yeah !
Here You go to! redefining the definition of the theory to fit your version of what you believe. You are as bad as sucking bone and Dud
But I am NOT re-defining the theory. The laws of physics and chemistry are not random. Abiogenesis is the search for the origins of life based on natural laws such as those seen in physics and chemistry. Since life *is* a collection of chemical reactions, it is not unreasonable that the origin of life is chemical in nature.

“Ask Randy From Ballwin”

Level 5

He Is A Sock Know It All

#104803 Nov 5, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>

<quoted text>allah is the same god, different sect of the abrahamic cult, but still the god of abraham...
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
You could make a very very good case for all of the Abrahamic versions of god as a general case of not existing. If they are dependent upon the Old Testament it can be shown that their god is not real.
I do not know enough about the Hindu gods, but again a good case about their nonexistence could be probably argued too based upon the claims of their followers.
I will let you carry on the theological argument with replaytime.
Have fun.
Why don't you just tell him that "Followers of those various religions would disagree with you." Which is what you said when I told you who Allah was. lol

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
3 Word Advice (Good or Bad) (Dec '14) 1 min Old Sam 3,897
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 1 min roy khan 189,595
Add a Word remove a Word (Oct '13) 2 min Dont_You_Dare 3,049
Add a word and drop a word (Jan '14) 2 min Old Sam 5,634
6 letter word ...change one letter game (Oct '08) 3 min Dont_You_Dare 31,314
Just start naming actors and actresses (Sep '11) 3 min Old Sam 4,711
WHAT???? A NEW word game? FOUR WORDS (Sep '08) 3 min andet1987 43,814
Transgender bathrooms .... thoughts? 11 min Lawrence Wolf 105
Answer a question with a question (Apr '15) 15 min Dont_You_Dare 1,876
Last Post Wins! (Aug '08) 19 min Dont_You_Dare 144,200