Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 173361 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Lakeland, FL

#103911 Oct 30, 2013
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> And i add, since the earth for now, is the only habitable planet, lets keep our fingers and hope for others. I hope you know, you are indirectly applying the principles of faith here?
It called logic, moron. Not that you would know anything about it.

Level 8

Lakeland, FL

#103912 Oct 30, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
Don't ya just love this stuff...lol...
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/computer-sci...
When Gödel died in 1978, he left behind a tantalizing theory based on principles of modal logic -- that a higher being must exist. The details of the mathematics involved in Gödel's ontological proof are complicated, but in essence the Austrian was arguing that, by definition, God is that for which no greater can be conceived. And while God exists in the understanding of the concept, we could conceive of him as greater if he existed in reality. Therefore, he must exist.
Even at the time, the argument was not exactly a new one. For centuries, many have tried to use this kind of abstract reasoning to prove the possibility or necessity of the existence of God. But the mathematical model composed by Gödel proposed a proof of the idea. Its theorems and axioms -- assumptions which cannot be proven -- can be expressed as mathematical equations. And that means they can be proven.
Old Kurt could be absolutely brilliant at times but I am very skeptical of his proof of god. I'll have to dig into it further.

He was also a bit of a loony. He starved himself to death because of his paranoia. SO his state of mind at one point or another is questionable.

Level 2

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#103913 Oct 30, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure it is. That's why you're still here.
It's obvious you're not here to convince us, but rather yourself.
I am not here to convince, but to give my stand about this God.

Level 2

Location hidden

#103914 Oct 30, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
A calendar day, jerkoff! Not a real day. Time is NOT affected.
Time is not affected? How? If going from the east( say Tehran) to the west( say New York), the day and the time will change. This is a fact.

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#103915 Oct 30, 2013
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> And i add, since the earth for now, is the only habitable planet, lets keep our fingers and hope for others. I hope you know, you are indirectly applying the principles of faith here?
There is no faith involved at all.

It's a logical conclusion based on the existing EVIDENCE.
That evidence includes, but is not limited to:

Life exists in this universe. FACT

YOU live on this planet. FACT

Our planet orbits an ordinary star. FACT

Our star (the Sun) is located in an arm in an ordinary spiral galaxy. FACT

Our galaxy (the Milky Way) contains many millions of stars of various types. FACT

Planets have been detect around stars other than our star (the SUN). FACT

There are many billions of galaxies in the observable universe. FACT

There is quite possibly many billions of planets located in the "Goldilocks Zones" of other stars. Logical conclusion based on available evidence.

And THAT is just assuming conditions required for the kind of life we are aware of!!

Science requires EMPIRICAL EVIDENCE.... Something your religious faith has never had.

Level 2

Location hidden

#103916 Oct 30, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
It called logic, moron. Not that you would know anything about it.
Logic is an application of faith. You may not understand, because, you are an atheist.

Level 2

Location hidden

#103917 Oct 30, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
A calendar day, jerkoff! Not a real day. Time is NOT affected.
The time in London can never be the same with the time in New York.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#103918 Oct 30, 2013
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text>Logic is an application of faith. You may not understand, because, you are an atheist.
Logic and faith are polar opposites.

You wouldn't understand because you're an idiot.

Level 8

Lakeland, FL

#103919 Oct 30, 2013
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Time is not affected? How? If going from the east( say Tehran) to the west( say New York), the day and the time will change. This is a fact.
Local time will change. Time itself does not. That *IS* a fact.

Level 8

Lakeland, FL

#103920 Oct 30, 2013
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Logic is an application of faith.
That, in a nutshell, is why you remain a fool.
Charles Idemi wrote:
You may not understand, because, you are an atheist.
Sez who?

Level 8

Lakeland, FL

#103921 Oct 30, 2013
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> The time in London can never be the same with the time in New York.
Oh, yes it can, oh arrogant fool. Have you ever heard of Greenwich Mean Time?

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#103922 Oct 30, 2013
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> I am not here to convince, but to give my stand about this God.
the proven false one? have fun worshiping your idol..

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#103923 Oct 30, 2013
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> The time in London can never be the same with the time in New York.
sure it can. astronomers use GMT, or UT, all the time....same time everywhere.

“The Edge”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Of Tomorow

#103924 Oct 30, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Logic and faith are polar opposites.
You wouldn't understand because you're an idiot.

I like to refer to it as Enlightenment and Divinity are on a curve.
They curve away from each other.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#103925 Oct 30, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>I was aware that the right vector mosquito species can be found in the south, but I didn't know that Dengue had gotten that far north. Going to put a lot of perspective on global warming.
They call it "breakbone fever".

SBT
Level 2

Since: Jun 13

United States

#103926 Oct 30, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>

The flagellum is relatively simple.
Google "flagella 2013" and email all those authors your proud statement, may as well tell the world, "it's simple - time did it!!" Your mindless time God is pretty smart.

Level 2

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#103927 Oct 30, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
Don't ya just love this stuff...lol...
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/computer-sci...
When Gödel died in 1978, he left behind a tantalizing theory based on principles of modal logic -- that a higher being must exist. The details of the mathematics involved in Gödel's ontological proof are complicated, but in essence the Austrian was arguing that, by definition, God is that for which no greater can be conceived. And while God exists in the understanding of the concept, we could conceive of him as greater if he existed in reality. Therefore, he must exist.
Even at the time, the argument was not exactly a new one. For centuries, many have tried to use this kind of abstract reasoning to prove the possibility or necessity of the existence of God. But the mathematical model composed by Gödel proposed a proof of the idea. Its theorems and axioms -- assumptions which cannot be proven -- can be expressed as mathematical equations. And that means they can be proven.
Thanks for the article, enjoyed it. French mathematician Emile Borel worked on some of the same lines. As he stated once the improbabilities become to vast and the specifications too tight, chance is eliminated and design is implicated . He proposed 10-50 as a universal probability bound below which chance could definitely be precluded ..that is any specified event as improbable as the origin of life could not be attributed to chance. It's logical

Level 9

Everett, WA

#103928 Oct 30, 2013
SBT wrote:
<quoted text>
Google "flagella 2013" and email all those authors your proud statement, may as well tell the world, "it's simple - time did it!!" Your mindless time God is pretty smart.
Address the video and article I linked more than once.

Your continued idiocy shows that you have no clue. Your idiocy has been debunked.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#103929 Oct 30, 2013
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for the article, enjoyed it. French mathematician Emile Borel worked on some of the same lines. As he stated once the improbabilities become to vast and the specifications too tight, chance is eliminated and design is implicated . He proposed 10-50 as a universal probability bound below which chance could definitely be precluded ..that is any specified event as improbable as the origin of life could not be attributed to chance. It's logical
Sorry, that article did not even touch upon abiogenesis. At best your "It's logical" is simply an argument from ignorance. You probably could not even put in simple English what Godel proved mathematically. It really did not have much to do with the existence of god. Much less the disproved version of god that you believe in.

“I can never convince the ”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

stupid that they are stupid.

#103930 Oct 30, 2013
SBT wrote:
<quoted text>
Why don't you call them and have a heartfelt chat with them. Then report back here with anything you can make up. You know. The usual.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Benedictine Monk Relaxing Atop Wind Turbine Spo... 5 min Maggie Gallaghers... 2
Keep a Word.....Drop a Word Game (Sep '13) 17 min Trunketeer 9,363
Word Association. (Nov '10) 18 min Trunketeer 18,047
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 23 min Two Nines 43,393
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 33 min Mister_ E 169,191
6 letter word ...change one letter game (Oct '08) 35 min Joe 29,509
20,000th Post Wins - 2d Edition (Jan '13) 48 min Truths 2,443
Denny Crain's Place (May '10) 2 hr TALLYHO 8541 18,633
Poll Is Sweetie-Pie really Ozzie? 4 hr 2 peas in a pod 7
Poll How many SOCKS do you have? 7 hr Sweetie-Pie 6
More from around the web