Evolution vs. Creation

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008. Full Story

“I started out with nothing”

Level 6

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#103722 Oct 28, 2013
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Ego( pride). The only habitable planet, is planet earth.
The only KNOWN habitable planet is earth, there is a major difference between the “only” absolute and limits of knowledge.

New solar systems are now being discovered at the rate of two or three a week. It seems that of those stars investigated about 1/3 hold planetary systems However only a relatively few of those discovered planets are suitable for habitation, depending on various factors. The planets chemical make up, its position from is primary and the type of primary and of course the systems position in the milky way.

Note that because of the current limits of technology we can only search relatively close systems in our galaxy, however this of course means that we are searching our little bit of the habitable zone of our galaxy. Our galaxy contains about 300 billion stars and we have as yet only investigated a tiny, minuscule fraction of a fraction of a percent. Then of course there are hundreds of billions of galaxies, most with considerably more stars than the milky way

To say “The only habitable planet, is planet earth.” Is short sighted to say the least. If earth actually is the only life baring planet in the universe I have only one thing to say – such a waste of space…

Here is a list of possibly habitable planets found so far

Level 6

#103723 Oct 28, 2013
Charles Idemi wrote:
Humans are the only dominant species on earth( the only habitable plabnet). No matter how powerful a lion or whale is, they can be tamed by humans.
You really do not understand do you?

Yes and humans can be tamed by humans, so what? Rather like some human captive who is tortured into submission, the a lion (for example) will bide it’s time, until given a chance and it will then make a tasty snack of it’s torturer.

There are animals that dominate other animals in the same group. There are species that dominate other species. There are species in which gender is dominant. There a plants that dominate other plants.

Some species use other species as slaves or helpers. Some species live in total synergy with other species.

Some animals can be devious and cheat and lie, just like humans can.

Tell me, is it your distinct lack of education or your religious deliberate ignorance that tells you that humans are the only dominant animal?

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#103724 Oct 28, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course animals can never reason like humans, they are not humans and humans can never reason like animals
That does not mean that some animals are not intelligent, however it does mean that only human animals are human.
“In those days spirits were brave, the stakes were high, men were real men, women were real women and small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri were real small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri.”

&#8213; Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#103725 Oct 28, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
There we go. Thanks Mytha. As I said I did not ever see his name "Bob Robertson" in the credits of the movies I have watched. And I have watched them all. I never disagreed that he did not ever use that name, as Sub has shown I even gave a link where that was a pseudonym for Sergio Leone, which he did use in all the foreign language movies but in the American versions I have watched he used his real name in the credits for director.
I dunno , never heard anything about, and never even knew who he was in the first place. I google'ed Bob "whatever", Sergio Leone and found that. Just a bit more trivia. What I didn't understand was the part of them talking about the music.

Level 6

#103726 Oct 28, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
“In those days spirits were brave, the stakes were high, men were real men, women were real women and small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri were real small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri.”
&#8213; Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
And since this is not a naturally tenable position for a whale, this poor innocent creature had very little time to come to terms with its identity as a whale before it then had to come to terms with not being a whale any more.

Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Level 6

#103727 Oct 28, 2013
Ooops, I missed this from post 103722

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_potentia...

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#103728 Oct 28, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Not a tough night. I have posted several times showing you wrong. It is not my fault you are not man enough to admit it, are in denial and liar. That is you choice.
http://www.topix.com/forum/news/evolution/T9Q...

Tell me Chuckie doesn't say "the" and "only" in post #103533. Tell me ants are not a dominant species or that faith healers "stand a prayer" against any number of disease organisms.

“Up with which, I will not put”

Since: Jul 08

Sao Paulo

#103729 Oct 28, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Just for fun Sub.
If a person driving a car drives 3 hours at 80 miles per hour, 2.5 hours at 110 miles per hour and 1.75 hours at 55 miles per hour and their destination from the start was 925 miles away. They stopped for gas 3 times taking 10 minutes per stop. How close are they to their destination, what is their average speed and what type of gas are they using?
Driving two and a half hours at 110 MPH would most certainly get your car impounded and your licence suspended, meaning there is a good chance this driver never reached his destination. Next question?
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#103730 Oct 28, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I have all three.
There is a James Bond that was supposedly based upon Yojimbo also, but to me it was quite a stretch. It also had one of my least favorite Bonds. I am not sure, it could have been George Lazenby, i think he only had two films in the franchise.
Just one. Thank God.

Shame, since Telly Savalas was in it.

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#103731 Oct 28, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
And since this is not a naturally tenable position for a whale, this poor innocent creature had very little time to come to terms with its identity as a whale before it then had to come to terms with not being a whale any more.
Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Will Charles ever come to terms with being a mammal?

Level 6

#103732 Oct 28, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Will Charles ever come to terms with being a mammal?
Nope, it upsets his god given belief that his god made him special

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#103733 Oct 28, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, he's 'special' all mright.

Level 6

#103734 Oct 28, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, he's 'special' all mright.
Well it is true that no one could possible think like he does (is think the right word?) and not be considered special.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#103735 Oct 28, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm quite sure that Charles has been referred to as "Special" on several occasions.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#103736 Oct 28, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Well it is true that no one could possible think like he does (is think the right word?) and not be considered special.
the scary part is there are billions of people on this planet that 'think' just like him....in direct conflict with the proven facts in front of them....

very scary...

Level 6

#103737 Oct 28, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>the scary part is there are billions of people on this planet that 'think' just like him....in direct conflict with the proven facts in front of them....
very scary...
I would not say billions but certainly many millions.

The majority of christians are only in it for the companionship, unlike Charles they do not actually believe goddidit by magic. This is actually more prevalent in the higher echelons of the church where even companionship takes a back seat to a regular salary.

But even so, very scary that people can let a bronze age idea dictate what they are and are not willing to learn

“Up with which, I will not put”

Since: Jul 08

Sao Paulo

#103738 Oct 28, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
The majority of christians are only in it for the companionship, unlike Charles they do not actually believe goddidit by magic. This is actually more prevalent in the higher echelons of the church where even companionship takes a back seat to a regular salary.
But even so, very scary that people can let a bronze age idea dictate what they are and are not willing to learn
Good point. I am a good example of these people you reference, due to my upbringing. Like many of the "part-Irish Catholic" neighbors I grew up with in New England, I believed in God by default and still do to a certain extent, but am not a true believer of the establishment of the Catholic Church. Of course I respect the Church and its beliefs (to a certain extent), just not a fan myself. Being a man of science, I also find it hard to believe in the Bible, although I try to avoid pointing out it's weaknesses to those who believe. I will not go out of my way to disprove a Bible myth, nor will I try to convince a true believer that the Bible is book of fables. I do like to question the logic of some of its writings to those who insist on the Biblical 'facts', but that's just for fun.(Call me selfish.) Like many of my peers, I do believe there is a higher force in the universe, but I also believe exclusively in evolution. So yes, I would classify myself as one of the many Christians by default you refer to. Very good observation.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#103739 Oct 28, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
i was including the other sects of the abrahamic cult...

Level 6

#103740 Oct 28, 2013
JM_Brazil wrote:
<quoted text>
Good point. I am a good example of these people you reference, due to my upbringing. Like many of the "part-Irish Catholic" neighbors I grew up with in New England, I believed in God by default and still do to a certain extent, but am not a true believer of the establishment of the Catholic Church. Of course I respect the Church and its beliefs (to a certain extent), just not a fan myself. Being a man of science, I also find it hard to believe in the Bible, although I try to avoid pointing out it's weaknesses to those who believe. I will not go out of my way to disprove a Bible myth, nor will I try to convince a true believer that the Bible is book of fables. I do like to question the logic of some of its writings to those who insist on the Biblical 'facts', but that's just for fun.(Call me selfish.) Like many of my peers, I do believe there is a higher force in the universe, but I also believe exclusively in evolution. So yes, I would classify myself as one of the many Christians by default you refer to. Very good observation.
My best friend is about as high up as a woman is ever going to get in the BAC church in the UK, she considers much (though not all) of the babble to be a comfort to her.

As for my comment, I got my info from her. She is in a wonderful position to see what she considers the “hypocrisy” first hand and spends many happy hours telling me all about this people she has met who are highly respected in the church yet have no faith whatsoever.

As for the average church goer, I have nothing against people following their faith for whatever reason suites them just so long as they don’t try forcing it on me. When they do, well I love a good argument.

Level 6

#103741 Oct 28, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>i was including the other sects of the abrahamic cult...
Oh I agree that there are too many fundy idiots but still not billions.

There are what? Around a little over 3 billion followers of abrahamic cults. The majority are as JM_Brazil noted, christians by default. There are only a relatively few funnymentalists, mostly centred in the US and parts of Africa

I know quite a few Jews and Moslems. The Jewish view of god is someone to speak to in your head, a comfort. Moslims tend to be more fundamental but of the ones I know it’s about 20%“the Qur’an is right” and 80% either not sure or following the crowd because censure it not the way to go.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 3 min -Lea- 25,968
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 9 min Mega Monster 7,790
Those Damn Liberals 12 min Shaddup 10
Woman Switches Seats on Plane, Spends 3 Days in... 18 min Lawrence Wolf 20
Highs & Lows of 2014 18 min Harrison Freebird 2
Denny Crain's Place (May '10) 33 min Harrison Freebird 17,547
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 42 min Tom2Tone 152,832
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 1 hr Denny CranesPlace 37,770
3 Word Advice (Good or Bad) 7 hr Hoosier Hillbilly 331
More from around the web