Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 201119 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

“Dinosaurs survived the flood!”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

Jesus probably rode dinosaurs!

#103483 Oct 26, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Seems to me that the hippies tried out "free love" on the idealistic premise that possessiveness and jealousy were just hangups invented by a controlling and oppressive society.
Evolutionary psychology can tell us something very different....the possessive and jealous will succeed at the expense of the easy going...these impulses are inside us at a deeper level than mere rules of a society.
We need to build our moralities in recognition of human nature as it is, not as we wished it was. And that is a somewhat conservative argument...again a recognition that the traditional has one great advantageover the radical and that is that it has got us this far, no matter how imperfectly. It worked.
"Man is a wild beast" said Zorba. The human condition is not perfectable, just manageable, we hope!
I need to get to sleep, but after reading your post, I have to say that I completely agree with you on this. I could probably get into a lengthy discussion of the hippie movement and some of the good and bad that resulted if this were the place for it. I will just say, I support the ideas of individuality and freedom of expression that was part of the ideological basis of that movement. I think free love was rolled in for exactly the reasons you state. They had no understanding of the biological basis for behavior, not necessarily saying that we do, but it is much better.

I think management is a concept more aptly applied to a lot of human activities rather than the concept of control. Speaking of course from the point of view of an entomologist. We certainly don't control insects, but we can manage them.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#103484 Oct 26, 2013
davy wrote:
http://www.cnn.com/interactive /2012/03/world/mauritania.slav erys.last.stronghold/index.htm l
So you don't think that your imaginary friend feels that this woman should obey her master? When did your all knowing god have a change of heart? Why didn't god know slavery was wrong all along? I did. So much for gods morality and omnipotence.
<quoted text>
Damn, that is a sad story and illustrates the true evil of slavery.

Level 2

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#103485 Oct 27, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Because my dear little numbskull, the positioning of these imaginary lines is calculated on known mathematical precepts and on time at a given point on the earth and agreed internationally so that maps and atlases and navigation aids should contain an indication to aid navigation to make it easier for humans, more particularly for ocean going trade.
That does not mean they actually exist and I have never said they are irrelevant, I have said that much of what you say is irrelevant.
You all always go for what are in support of your cause. I ask again, why then are we using those lines that don't exist, to determine the distances and local time of real places?

Level 2

Location hidden

#103486 Oct 27, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Because my dear little numbskull, the positioning of these imaginary lines is calculated on known mathematical precepts and on time at a given point on the earth and agreed internationally so that maps and atlases and navigation aids should contain an indication to aid navigation to make it easier for humans, more particularly for ocean going trade.
That does not mean they actually exist and I have never said they are irrelevant, I have said that much of what you say is irrelevant.
And again, Numbskull, they are imaginary and at the same time invisible. Why then do we use them( it), to determine real places? If they don' t exist, why are we then using them for real places?

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#103488 Oct 27, 2013
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> You all always go for what are in support of your cause. I ask again, why then are we using those lines that don't exist, to determine the distances and local time of real places?
You do realise that the International Dateline could have been placed at any longitude point we chose, right? The reason its where it is, the middle of the Pacific, was to minimise the disruption of switching from one day to another on land. Fish dont mich care whether its Monday or Tuesday.

Level 2

Location hidden

#103489 Oct 27, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
To your last statement, get it clear, Numb, those lines to science are imaginary, but to reality they are invisible, if not, why do we use them?

Level 2

Location hidden

#103490 Oct 27, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Start acting like one, i mean, a whale, since according to you they have a complex brain.

Level 2

Location hidden

#103491 Oct 27, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes – do you?
It is argued that the whale brains need to be complex in order to control the mass of the body and also that whales are much smarter than humans
http://www.plosbiology.org/article/info:doi/1...
http://www.scientificamerican.com/blog/post.c...
Other animals such as some of the blackbird family and pigs are said to be about 10,000 years behind humans on the evolution of intelligence.
Elephants have far better memory than humans do
The octopus has highly developed hunting and problem solving skills
Dolphins have amongst the highest brain/boy mass ration of all animals, communication, tribal behaviour and self awareness are on a par with unaided human behaviour
However I do not expect you to recognise these facts because of course you god made you above animals – right?
Stories! Humans brains are complex, why do we have a whale aquarium? Do whales have a human aquarium?

Level 2

Location hidden

#103492 Oct 27, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes – do you?
It is argued that the whale brains need to be complex in order to control the mass of the body and also that whales are much smarter than humans
Other animals such as some of the blackbird family and pigs are said to be about 10,000 years behind humans on the evolution of intelligence.
Dolphins have amongst the highest brain/boy mass ration of all animals, communication, tribal behaviour and self awareness are on a par with unaided human behaviour
However I do not expect you to recognise these facts because of course you god made you above animals – right?
And again, have you seen a whale going to school to study about humans? But we all know that, humans do.

Level 2

Location hidden

#103493 Oct 27, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes – do you?
Why do you go to school, you would have been part of the whales, living with them.

Level 2

Location hidden

#103494 Oct 27, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Still dancing.
Of course, he is dancing for the lord, Mr. Clueless.

Level 6

Location hidden

#103495 Oct 27, 2013
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Start acting like one, i mean, a whale, since according to you they have a complex brain.
For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

Douglas Adams

Level 2

Location hidden

#103496 Oct 27, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.
Douglas Adams
Do whales go to school?

Level 6

Location hidden

#103497 Oct 27, 2013
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Do whales go to school?
No. They are way too smart to need school.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#103498 Oct 27, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Douglas Adams
thanks for all the fish!

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Lakeland, FL

#103499 Oct 27, 2013
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Of course, he is dancing for the lord, Mr. Clueless.
{palm/face}

Level 9

#103500 Oct 27, 2013
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Stories! Humans brains are complex, why do we have a whale aquarium? Do whales have a human aquarium?
Charles you are using the development and implementation of technology as the only measure of intelligence, but that is not the only measure. Even along the lines of tool use, there are examples among other species. Among some of these tool users are examples of innovation, teaching and learning acquired skills.

Level 9

#103501 Oct 27, 2013
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Do whales go to school?
Pods I think.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#103502 Oct 27, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>Pods I think.
my girls had learning pods at their middle school!

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Lakeland, FL

#103503 Oct 27, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>my girls had learning pods at their middle school!
We have them all over the place in our elementary schools.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Names, A to Z, ... (Aug '12) 1 min SweLL GirL 2,621
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 2 min Joi C 18,382
2words into 2new words (May '12) 2 min KNIGHT DeVINE 2,824
Change 1 letter game! (Nov '11) 2 min SweLL GirL 7,988
Last Post Wins! (Aug '08) 4 min SweLL GirL 145,991
Last two letters into two new words... (Jun '15) 4 min Joi C 3,458
*add A word / drop a word* (Nov '12) 5 min Joi C 13,441
News Trump's Newest Ad Is So Frickin' WeirdBy Olivia... 19 min Cordwainer Trout 18
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 43 min Sharlene45 194,194
Crystal_Clears Kitchen (Refurbished) (Jan '16) 47 min Enzo49 8,479
What Turns You Off (Jun '11) 4 hr honeymylove 7,797
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 8 hr Denny CranesPlace 58,055
More from around the web