Evolution vs. Creation

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008. Full Story

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#103183 Oct 25, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
To you and Igor both. The origin for the word sphere many say it was not until
Origin:
1250–1300; < Late Latin sph&#275;ra, Latin sphaera globe < Greek sphaîra ball; replacing Middle English spere < Old French spere < Late Latin sp&#275;ra, variant of sph&#275;ra
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sphere
Origin of SPHERE
Middle English spere globe, celestial sphere, from Anglo-French espere, from Latin sphaera, from Greek sphaira, literally, ball; perhaps akin to Greek spairein to quiver — more at spurn
First Known Use: 14th century.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sph...
Point of order. The origin of the word 'sphere' in no way is the same as the concept of a sphere.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#103184 Oct 25, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
So you are assuming that even though some may have known earth to be a sphere, that the ones that wrote the bible did as well.
No, I said no such thing. You have your stupidity turned up again today. Why don't you turn it down a notch or two?

I said there were verses in Revelations that refer to a flat Earth.

And the fact that the word "sphere" is fairly recent does not mean that people were ignorant of spherical shapes or even that the world was spherical. There have been spherical objects even before man came along. Many fruits are spherical in shape for example. Of course someone with their stupidity turned up would totally misunderstand a claim on the order of "The Earth is like an orange".

What sort of word did the Greeks use for the shape of the Earth? They were among the first who knew it was spherical.

“I'm Your Huckleberry ”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

That's Just My Game

#103185 Oct 25, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Once again, the famouse dodge.
<quoted text>
Baloney.
What the hellll am I dodging by saying I don't believe God wrote it idiot.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#103186 Oct 25, 2013
It is very hard to have a polite conversation with people when they have their stupidity turned up to 11.

Perhaps if RR and rp turned theirs down a bit they could actually learn something for once. At least they both very often illustrate that the claim "There is no such thing as a stupid question." is totally untrue.

“Evil Atheist :-)”

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#103187 Oct 25, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
To you and Igor both. The origin for the word sphere many say it was not until
Origin:
1250–1300; < Late Latin sph&#275;ra, Latin sphaera globe < Greek sphaîra ball; replacing Middle English spere < Old French spere < Late Latin sp&#275;ra, variant of sph&#275;ra
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sphere
Origin of SPHERE
Middle English spere globe, celestial sphere, from Anglo-French espere, from Latin sphaera, from Greek sphaira, literally, ball; perhaps akin to Greek spairein to quiver — more at spurn
First Known Use: 14th century.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sph...
That's the Greek word. Are you saying there was no Hebrew word for a ball?

“I'm Your Huckleberry ”

Level 5

That's Just My Game

#103188 Oct 25, 2013
Igor Trip wrote:
<quoted text>
Already answered but I will answer it again.

They may have had a word for ball, I don't know. Ball or even round or whatever they had know way to tell the earth was ball shaped, round, or a sphere.

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#103189 Oct 25, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
What the hellll am I dodging by saying I don't believe God wrote it idiot.
Here's the thing, idiot. I have repeatedly asked you point blank if the bible was authored by, dictated by or otherwise inspired by a god. You steadfastly hidden behind "it was written down by man" and "it was the words of man" without ever answered the question directly. And that's a fact, jack.

“I'm Your Huckleberry ”

Level 5

That's Just My Game

#103190 Oct 25, 2013
"they had no way" even. Have done that twice now

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#103191 Oct 25, 2013
Igor Trip wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course not. All of their fruit was flat as well. No need for the word.

/sarcasm

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#103192 Oct 25, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Already answered but I will answer it again.
They may have had a word for ball, I don't know. Ball or even round or whatever they had know way to tell the earth was ball shaped, round, or a sphere.
The word was "duwr" according to Blue Letter Bible.
buckwheat

Tulsa, OK

#103193 Oct 25, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
It is very hard to have a polite conversation with people when they have their stupidity turned up to 11.
Perhaps if RR and rp turned theirs down a bit they could actually learn something for once. At least they both very often illustrate that the claim "There is no such thing as a stupid question." is totally untrue.
Some people have been so saturated in the stickiness of religion that is impossible for them to see past the collection plate. It is sad that they will spend their lives and hard earned money to buy tickets on the golden chariot. Sadder, still, that they are teaching that crap to innocent children. The loop continues.

“I'm Your Huckleberry ”

Level 5

That's Just My Game

#103194 Oct 25, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's the thing, idiot. I have repeatedly asked you point blank if the bible was authored by, dictated by or otherwise inspired by a god. You steadfastly hidden behind "it was written down by man" and "it was the words of man" without ever answered the question directly. And that's a fact, jack.
You have asked me if the bible was written by God. I have answered it was written by man, it is the words of men. I stated to Chimney that I don't believe God wrote it. If that doesn't answer your question then it is you that have the problem reading answers. I am sorry I can't draw it out for you in crayon.

“I'm Your Huckleberry ”

Level 5

That's Just My Game

#103195 Oct 25, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
The word was "duwr" according to Blue Letter Bible.
Just for fun. Lets say the word sphere did exist back then(even though it didn't) How would they know, what would they have used, how could they have figured out the earth was sphere 3-5 thousand years ago. The did not have anything and could not tell is the point behind it all. It is what they knew, not about a word. Some people just don't get it even when it is handed to them.

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#103196 Oct 25, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
You have asked me if the bible was written by God. I have answered it was written by man, it is the words of men. I stated to Chimney that I don't believe God wrote it. If that doesn't answer your question then it is you that have the problem reading answers. I am sorry I can't draw it out for you in crayon.
Well, I may have missed your reply to Chimney but if you would have simply answer me directly...

OK, god had nothing to do with the bible. Got it!

“I'm Your Huckleberry ”

Level 5

That's Just My Game

#103197 Oct 25, 2013
buckwheat wrote:
<quoted text>Some people have been so saturated in the stickiness of religion that is impossible for them to see past the collection plate. It is sad that they will spend their lives and hard earned money to buy tickets on the golden chariot. Sadder, still, that they are teaching that crap to innocent children. The loop continues.
For the record I don't go to church, not even on Christmas or Easter. I don't pay tithe. I don't listen to the gibberish on TV. I don't believe in the scamming touch healers. Church has been ran as a business for 100's of years. I think it is BS for people like Jim Baker to ask people for their hard earned money and at the same time have a air conditioned house for their dog. I take the bible the way I want to take it.

“I'm Your Huckleberry ”

Level 5

That's Just My Game

#103198 Oct 25, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, I may have missed your reply to Chimney but if you would have simply answer me directly...
What??? Now you are just lying your @ss off. That is where responded and said "Once again, the famous dodge".
buckwheat

Tulsa, OK

#103199 Oct 25, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
For the record I don't go to church, not even on Christmas or Easter. I don't pay tithe. I don't listen to the gibberish on TV. I don't believe in the scamming touch healers. Church has been ran as a business for 100's of years. I think it is BS for people like Jim Baker to ask people for their hard earned money and at the same time have a air conditioned house for their dog. I take the bible the way I want to take it.
I see.

“I'm Your Huckleberry ”

Level 5

That's Just My Game

#103200 Oct 25, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
When you ask me a question most times I will answer in what I believe, what I think and/or my opinion. A simple yes or no is not always the only answer unless you are just sheeple that follow the crowd and do as they do without thinking for yourself.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#103201 Oct 25, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
yet you believe in this god that men created?

“I'm Your Huckleberry ”

Level 5

That's Just My Game

#103202 Oct 25, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>yet you believe in this god that men created?
My evidence for God is all around me. Life, the sun, the moon, the universe, the wind, the rain, etc etc. Feelings such as love, caring, sadness, hate, hurt, and evil that are all things that evolution does not need to be successful. The beauty in nature - A masterpiece cannot paint itself.

If you want to call it luck it happened or it just happened that is your choice.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
30,000 post wins (May '13) 4 min Weird 0ne 2 1,747
A six word game (Dec '08) 5 min Wear A Rain Poncho 17,559
WHAT???? A NEW word game? FOUR WORDS (Sep '08) 6 min Shopaholic 40,253
+=Keep 1 Drop 1=+ 3 STACK (Mar '13) 7 min Princess Hey 7,071
Make A Sentance out of a 5 letter word. (Nov '09) 7 min Alvin Birta 29,380
*=* Hoosier Hillbilly *=* 10 min Princess Hey 115
In pictures: Glamour model spends a 30k on plas... 11 min T Turner 2
Do you have a Topix crush? (Jun '11) 13 min DILF 5,561
Woman commits suicide by crocodile 48 min Dark Meat Thigh D... 13
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 1 hr Debra27 146,958