Evolution vs. Creation

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008. Full Story

“The Grim Reaper Is Fictional ”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

But We Will All Meet Him

#103172 Oct 25, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
You are being a fool again.
Christian funies very often refer to the very verse that says the Earth is flat to try to claim that it says the Earth is a sphere. I am not guilty of your sin, I am interpreting the Bible as it was written. The people of that time thought the Earth was flat and they wrote the Bible to reflect that. I am not criticizing them for the fact that they did not know the world was spherical. And the claim that they did not have a word for sphere and therefore could not describe the Earth as a sphere is outright idiotic. They did have a word for "ball". And since this was over 2,000 years before American Football the odds are huge that the ball was spherical.
Yes, you are saying that the claims of the Bible are similar to what scientists say today, and that is where you are clearly wrong. You are trying to squeeze the beliefs of the past into those of the present.
You say 2,000 years before American football so you are saying they were playing American football around 200AD? LOL

And they may have had a word for ball, I don't know. Ball or even round or whatever they had know way to tell the earth was ball shaped, round, or a sphere.

“Evil Atheist :-)”

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#103173 Oct 25, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually I am not reinterpreting. I am saying what they bible said 3-5 thousand years ago is similar to what science says today. As far as the flat earth as you claim so often, that is reinterpreting the Bible in light of our present day knowledge. They could not have known the earth was round and by looking out at the horizon it looks flat and that it ends. They also could not know the earth was a sphere either. The origin of the word sphere came around a couple thousand years later. As far as the bible saying the earth sun and moon were created around the same time, it says in seven days God created them all,,,pretty close to the same time
Show me any literature, from any culture, any person around the same time the bible started being written that said earth rotated and was a sphere. Oh wait you can't because back in those days they did not know.
It's been known the world is a sphere since the 6th century BC.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spherical_Earth

Level 5

But We Will All Meet Him

#103174 Oct 25, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
You are being a fool again.
Christian funies very often refer to the very verse that says the Earth is flat to try to claim that it says the Earth is a sphere. I am not guilty of your sin, I am interpreting the Bible as it was written. The people of that time thought the Earth was flat and they wrote the Bible to reflect that. I am not criticizing them for the fact that they did not know the world was spherical. And the claim that they did not have a word for sphere and therefore could not describe the Earth as a sphere is outright idiotic. They did have a word for "ball". And since this was over 2,000 years before American Football the odds are huge that the ball was spherical.
Yes, you are saying that the claims of the Bible are similar to what scientists say today, and that is where you are clearly wrong. You are trying to squeeze the beliefs of the past into those of the present.
And I will say again. Take away all your knowledge so that you know as little as they did and look at these pictures and tell me the world does not look flat and look like it ends.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3193/2776716695...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_P6bgLo1z_aw/TKMEq4a...

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#103175 Oct 25, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Ya, evolution is funny that way.
Like how some fishies didn't want to live in the water no more, so they grew legs and skin and the right eyes and hair and lungs so they could live on land.
But some fishies decided it's cooler in the water.
And some of the land fishies decided it was better in the water so they regrew their fishie eyes and find and stuff but kept their lungs....
You missed the whole point, didn't you? He stated that "because it wanted to see". Please explain how a creature that did not have sight suddenly got it in he/she/it's mind that they wanted to see. Such a concept that would never occurred to said sightless creature - if it was even capable of thought (which is very doubtful).

Perhaps they were looking forward to HDTV.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#103176 Oct 25, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
You say 2,000 years before American football so you are saying they were playing American football around 200AD? LOL
And they may have had a word for ball, I don't know. Ball or even round or whatever they had know way to tell the earth was ball shaped, round, or a sphere.
You obviously don't understand your book of myths very well.

Even the last book of the Bible, that was written about 2,000 years ago, had references to a flat Earth.

It is amazing how little creationists and supposed Christians know about their own book that they supposedly worship.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#103177 Oct 25, 2013
Igor Trip wrote:
<quoted text>
By some, but not by all. The writers of the Bible were clearly ignorant of this fact.

Level 5

But We Will All Meet Him

#103178 Oct 25, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thats the whole point. These guys were ignorant (though not unintelligent). Why on earth would anyone sane believe in a young earth or refuse to accept evolution just because these ancients had no idea? Only thise in the straitjacjet of having to believe "God wrote it"
I don't believe God wrote it. That would be the evolutionists that always say "God said", "God wrote", "the Word of God", etc etc.

Level 5

But We Will All Meet Him

#103179 Oct 25, 2013
Igor Trip wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes it was speculated to be a shpere and not conformed until 3BC according to your link. That is just a mere 1000-1300 years AFTER they started writing the bible. SO that means in the thousands years before that when the bible was being written, they did not know.

Level 5

But We Will All Meet Him

#103180 Oct 25, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>You obviously don't understand your book of myths very well.
Even the last book of the Bible, that was written about 2,000 years ago, had references to a flat Earth.
It is amazing how little creationists and supposed Christians know about their own book that they supposedly worship.
To you and Igor both. The origin for the word sphere many say it was not until
Origin:
1250–1300; < Late Latin sph&#275;ra, Latin sphaera globe < Greek sphaîra ball; replacing Middle English spere < Old French spere < Late Latin sp&#275;ra, variant of sph&#275;ra

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sphere

Origin of SPHERE
Middle English spere globe, celestial sphere, from Anglo-French espere, from Latin sphaera, from Greek sphaira, literally, ball; perhaps akin to Greek spairein to quiver — more at spurn
First Known Use: 14th century.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sph...

Level 5

But We Will All Meet Him

#103181 Oct 25, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>You obviously don't understand your book of myths very well.
So you are assuming that even though some may have known earth to be a sphere, that the ones that wrote the bible did as well.

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#103182 Oct 25, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't believe God wrote it.
Once again, the famouse dodge.
replaytime wrote:
That would be the evolutionists that always say "God said", "God wrote", "the Word of God", etc etc.
Baloney.

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#103183 Oct 25, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Origin:
1250–1300; < Late Latin sph&#275;ra, Latin sphaera globe < Greek sphaîra ball; replacing Middle English spere < Old French spere < Late Latin sp&#275;ra, variant of sph&#275;ra
Origin of SPHERE
Middle English spere globe, celestial sphere, from Anglo-French espere, from Latin sphaera, from Greek sphaira, literally, ball; perhaps akin to Greek spairein to quiver — more at spurn
Point of order. The origin of the word 'sphere' in no way is the same as the concept of a sphere.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#103184 Oct 25, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
So you are assuming that even though some may have known earth to be a sphere, that the ones that wrote the bible did as well.
No, I said no such thing. You have your stupidity turned up again today. Why don't you turn it down a notch or two?

I said there were verses in Revelations that refer to a flat Earth.

And the fact that the word "sphere" is fairly recent does not mean that people were ignorant of spherical shapes or even that the world was spherical. There have been spherical objects even before man came along. Many fruits are spherical in shape for example. Of course someone with their stupidity turned up would totally misunderstand a claim on the order of "The Earth is like an orange".

What sort of word did the Greeks use for the shape of the Earth? They were among the first who knew it was spherical.

Level 5

But We Will All Meet Him

#103185 Oct 25, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Once again, the famouse dodge.
<quoted text>
Baloney.
What the hellll am I dodging by saying I don't believe God wrote it idiot.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#103186 Oct 25, 2013
It is very hard to have a polite conversation with people when they have their stupidity turned up to 11.

Perhaps if RR and rp turned theirs down a bit they could actually learn something for once. At least they both very often illustrate that the claim "There is no such thing as a stupid question." is totally untrue.

“Evil Atheist :-)”

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#103187 Oct 25, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Origin:
Origin of SPHERE
That's the Greek word. Are you saying there was no Hebrew word for a ball?

Level 5

But We Will All Meet Him

#103188 Oct 25, 2013
Igor Trip wrote:
<quoted text>
Already answered but I will answer it again.

They may have had a word for ball, I don't know. Ball or even round or whatever they had know way to tell the earth was ball shaped, round, or a sphere.

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#103189 Oct 25, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
What the hellll am I dodging by saying I don't believe God wrote it idiot.
Here's the thing, idiot. I have repeatedly asked you point blank if the bible was authored by, dictated by or otherwise inspired by a god. You steadfastly hidden behind "it was written down by man" and "it was the words of man" without ever answered the question directly. And that's a fact, jack.

Level 5

But We Will All Meet Him

#103190 Oct 25, 2013
"they had no way" even. Have done that twice now

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#103191 Oct 25, 2013
Igor Trip wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course not. All of their fruit was flat as well. No need for the word.

/sarcasm

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Do you have a Topix crush? (Jun '11) 6 min Sublime1 7,987
A To Z Of Movies (Sep '12) 7 min CJ Rocker 4,185
last word - first (Jun '12) 8 min Vector aka Victor... 7,210
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 10 min Mega Monster 6,715
Change-one-of-six-letters (Dec '12) 10 min CJ Rocker 3,766
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 10 min Proud To Be Trina 150,995
One word~~multiple meanings! (Oct '13) 12 min -CatCiao- 717
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 42 min Grace Nerissa 37,480
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 2 hr -Lea- 23,923
Bill Cosby 3 hr FTW Forever 176

Weird People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE