Evolution vs. Creation

Full story: Best of New Orleans

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.
Comments
97,581 - 97,600 of 114,486 Comments Last updated 23 min ago

“I started out with nothing”

Level 6

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2013

Judged:

replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
So they think Birthdays are for giving gifts and not getting gifts. After all why would Santa give gifts if it was his birthday? They must get real confused on their birthday.
Why?

Do you not consider you birthday a day for giving and receiving?

Hell it’s not even originally a christian festival. Christianity hijacked it from existing winter festivals including Yule in northern Europe and Saturnalia in southern Europe using the excuse, join our club and you don’t need to give up you winter bash.

Same goes for Eostre oops easter.

Level 6

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2013

replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
You keep telling yourself that and one day it may happen. Then again shyt is fertilizer.
So is sodium nitrate and that goes bang

“I'm Your Huckleberry ”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

That's Just My Game

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2013

Judged:

The bible tells of how man was made from dirt. Dirt=the elements of our universe.
Science has a similar theory called abiogenesis. The muddy soup of elements.
It is agreed that all life is based on elements found in our universe.

The bible tells how the sun, earth and moon were all created around the same time.
Science has a similar theory called the BBT.
It is agreed that they were formed around the same time

The bible says we all descend from the same person/people.
Science says we all come from from the same organism/organisms.
It is agreed that we all decend from few things from the start.

The three statements above are very similar. The biggest difference is that they bible said those things 4-6 thousand years ago. Science has just been saying those for the past couple hundred years.

Those of us who believe in God know that God initiated the process. Those that don't believe in God, think it all just started randomly, by itself. So what? Their lack of faith in God doesn't change the facts of the matter. You can't argue with Organic Chemistry. It is what it is.

Once God created life, God also gave the ability to adapt to changing environments. Why wouldn't our wise Creator NOT give life the ability to adapt? Without adaption life would not be able to go on. Science calls that evolution. And for those who have been misled to believe that adaptation is somehow separate from evolution,,, that is a lie! Adaptation is PART of the process of evolution.

“I'm Your Huckleberry ”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

That's Just My Game

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2013

ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
So is sodium nitrate and that goes bang
Fertilizer goes bang too. And it is made again from shyt.

Level 6

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2013

Judged:

replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Fertilizer goes bang too. And it is made again from shyt.
Sodium nitrate is not shyt

Shyt does not go bang unless powered by something explosive – like sodium nitrate (or a good curry)

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2013

Judged:

replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
I can respect that. That it great about your parents. 61 years that is amazing. May they have many more anniversaries to celebrate. I agree with the advertising. But everyone tries to make money off the holidays, any holiday.
So when your parents are gone, which lets hope that is not for quite sometime, you will stop celebrating Christmas?
Never say never, but I will likely not attend church after they're gone.

But my point is that Christmas is not "owned" by Christians any more. It's part of the overall culture. It is no longer just about Baby Jesus, Bethlehem, the Three Wise Men, etc. Much to the annoyance of Fundamentalists, Christmas is also strongly secular these days.

I'm sure you could find persons of every faith besides just Christians observing Christmas to some degree and in some fashion.

Level 6

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2013

replaytime wrote:
The bible tells of how man was made from dirt. Dirt=the elements of our universe.
The bible tells how the sun, earth and moon were all created around the same time.
The three statements above are very similar. The biggest difference is that they bible said those things 4-6 thousand years ago. Science has just been saying those for the past couple hundred years.
Those of us who believe in God know that God initiated the process. Those that don't believe in God, think it all just started randomly, by itself. So what? Their lack of faith in God doesn't change the facts of the matter. You can't argue with Organic Chemistry. It is what it is.
Once God created life, God also gave the ability to adapt to changing environments. Why wouldn't our wise Creator NOT give life the ability to adapt? Without adaption life would not be able to go on. Science calls that evolution. And for those who have been misled to believe that adaptation is somehow separate from evolution,,, that is a lie! Adaptation is PART of the process of evolution.
The babble tells us a lot of things that can safely be ignored.

No dirt involved but chemical formulations and environmental conditions along with a considerable amount of luck in the makeup of our solar system, the positioning of earth and the gas giants. Muddy soup is the fundy way of looking at what they cannot hope to understand, I thought you past such ignorant statements. What would you expect all life in this universe to be formed from, elements not found in this universe? Doh…

The sun the moon and the earth were not created at the same time and most certainly not at the time of the big bang event.
BB about 13.7 billion years ago
Sun about 4.6 billion years ago
Earth a short time (in stellar terms) later but measured in millions of years
Moon, sometime after between 4.5 and 4.4 billion years ago,
Now a good babble scholar and apologist looking for loopholes would consider that to be around the same time. A scientist would consider it to be 2 x 10^8 years

The problem here is that the babble account and science do not agree when those biblical persons lived. The babble says together, science says several thousand years apart. So if the babble stores were true then can only assume that Eve was into some serious necrophilia and miracles can happen.

The statements are similar only if you are unwilling to see the glaring facts. The biblical accounts were written 4000+ years ago by escaped slaves and goat herders who had no hope of understanding the scientific, cosmological, astronomical, geological and biological processes involved and so made a best guess based on bronze age guesswork and you are following in their footsteps. Whereas the means to verify scientific accounts have only been around a couple of hundred years, however at least some have been known about since ancient Greek even Babylonian and Egyptian times.

And this is where it all falls over, you say “know”, you claim “truth” whereas what you really mean is you “hope” and you “believe” but you chose to hijack positive and for your purposes inaccurate terms and bastardise them to give more credibility to your faith. This is where I see the biggest lies of the religious.

Yes organic chemistry is organic chemistry, it is not goddidit by magic.

Adaptation to the environment is a huge factor to evolution. No god involved but you can of course adapt that scientific finding to you religion if it suites you.

SBT
Level 2

Since: Jun 13

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2013

Judged:

Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh so many errors, where to start, where to start.
First off, what is wrong with you? Do you believe in Santa Claus? The Easter Bunny? If not then why do you believe the Ark myth?
I believe what the Bible teaches, as a Christian my ultimate source of truth about history and reality comes from there. I see a perfect fit now and more comes along every day. Understand it all? no. Take what Jesus says seriously,(like Noah or Jonah) absolutely. He said "not one stone will be left upon another, they will all be thrown down" and I go to Jerusalem and there off the corner of the Wailing Wall are temple blocks thrown off the mound. Not a Christian guide tells me this either. They mocked Him about that statement too, right? I was as big a evo believer as they come, when I accepted Christ in the back of that Twin Otter going home from a crash I gave it all up and boy did I get set straight, best decision I ever made. Respect Judaism, 1000%, they gave us the the Word of God and are specially protected and loved, God says so. I am nothing but an unworthy grafted weed. Was disgusted when Santa went away but still sleep with my fluffy Easter Bunny, you got me on that one.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2013

Judged:

SBT wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe
We don't care.(shrug)

Your beliefs are irrelvant. Your baseless religious opinions do not dictate reality. The do not matter. At all. Not one bit. Never have. You are quite simply NOT that important.

But thanks for admitting that you were lying about science again. You fundies can't help but shoot yourselves in the foot.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2013

Judged:

bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
The opposite of Dude sure is! Whoa! ha,ha,ha.
Oh hi Bo. I see you still avoid the argument in favour of slashing me with another witty insult. Perhaps if I am as unintelligent as you claim you could actually address the argument?

No? Thought not.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2013

Judged:

replaytime wrote:
Lets talk about dishonest people. Christmas and Easter are celebrations for Jesus.
Sez who?

Oh, that's right - Christians after they stole the celebrations off other cultures anyway.
replaytime wrote:
Do you/have you ever celebrated them with your kids, your grandkids?
Is that a problem? For is the important thing here God and Jesus? Or our kids? If Jesus is more important to you then good for you. But other people like treating their kids every once in a while.
replaytime wrote:
If any if you that say God/Jesus/Bible are fake/BS/myths you are a big hypocrite that lies to your kids. According to what you believe you are celebrating something that should not exist. You teach your kids to be hypocrites and liars and they do the same when they grow up.
Then the same applies to you if you tell your kids Santa brings them presents.
replaytime wrote:
You can say that you are not celebrating the days for Jesus but that would be like saying you are not celebrating America's Independence with beer, bbq and fire works on the 4th of July.
I'll happily celebrate America's independance with a crate of beer and I'm not even America. And what's the problem?

Just you, the party pooper who insists that every celebration must apply to YOUR rules. Who are you again?
replaytime wrote:
So why do you all/most of you partake in Easter and Christmas?
The shops got choccy eggs in and we like chocolate eggs. That's reason enough. Okay by you? Or you gonna call the police?
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2013

Judged:

SBT wrote:
And in his exile they say he washed his hands a thousand times a day.
You should try a copy of "The Evidence demands a Verdict" by Josh McDowell.
Hardly, since he's an apologist, not a historical scholar.
SBT wrote:
He set out on a project to prove the New Testament in error, kindda went wrong - Josh has spoken to more youth than any other minister on the planet - about the proofs of Christ. But the rabble-rouser rose, and all 11 disciples gave their lives telling the world about Him. That's no cult lie.
But how do you know? Where you THERE?

Sorry, forgot you were a hypocrite.

Level 6

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2013

The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Sez who?
Oh, that's right - Christians after they stole the celebrations off other cultures anyway.
<quoted text>
Is that a problem? For is the important thing here God and Jesus? Or our kids? If Jesus is more important to you then good for you. But other people like treating their kids every once in a while.
<quoted text>
Then the same applies to you if you tell your kids Santa brings them presents.
<quoted text>
I'll happily celebrate America's independance with a crate of beer and I'm not even America. And what's the problem?
Just you, the party pooper who insists that every celebration must apply to YOUR rules. Who are you again?
<quoted text>
The shops got choccy eggs in and we like chocolate eggs. That's reason enough. Okay by you? Or you gonna call the police?
RT obviously has no inkling of the origins of both easter and christmas. Like so much else he is taking the biblical word for it without considering the facts.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2013

Judged:

replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Lets talk about dishonest people. Christmas and Easter are celebrations for Jesus. Do you/have you ever celebrated them with your kids, your grandkids?
If any if you that say God/Jesus/Bible are fake/BS/myths you are a big hypocrite that lies to your kids. According to what you believe you are celebrating something that should not exist. You teach your kids to be hypocrites and liars and they do the same when they grow up.
You can say that you are not celebrating the days for Jesus but that would be like saying you are not celebrating America's Independence with beer, bbq and fire works on the 4th of July.
So why do you all/most of you partake in Easter and Christmas?
Hey, any excuse for a party!

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2013

SBT wrote:
<quoted text>
God was harmed, he watched His only human Son die a horrible death on that cross...
Give me a break. He set the whole thing up form the beginning. None of this was necessary. God just likes screwing around with humanity.
SBT wrote:
...and held back his wrath to prove a point - that God is love.
U-huh. And having "his only human Son die a horrible death" shows it.
SBT wrote:
As far as the Flood, the bible teaches that Christ gave them all another chance, visited them in the holding place in the 3 day wait time. Jesus said "Just as in the days of Noah, so shall the coming of the Son of Man be." Something bad happened to push a seafloor to 29,000ft and bury trillions of live animals. God doesn't need to explain everything He does. Man has alot of freedom to harm for sure here and we don't understand it all. Fact is, a plan has been established and made clear for what He does want us to know.
Pfft.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2013

Judged:

SBT wrote:
God was harmed
Not at all. You can't harm an all-powerful eternal entity that can't die. If you can then he's not God.
SBT wrote:
he watched His only human Son die a horrible death on that cross
He made it happen. He knew it would happen as it was all planned. And dying on a cross is less than a minor itch to the Almighty.
SBT wrote:
and held back his wrath to prove a point
Yeah, that he was a schizophrenic. Since before then his wrath happened a lot, and then it's gonna happen all over again at the End Times.

It wasn't to prove to everyone that he was a nice guy.
SBT wrote:
- that God is love.
Only if your definition shows you to be a twisted f ck. But hey, you fundies are into all that pain, suffering and martyr complex stuff so if you're that kinky then whatever boat's your float.(shrug)
SBT wrote:
As far as the Flood, the bible teaches that Christ gave them all another chance, visited them in the holding place in the 3 day wait time. Jesus said "Just as in the days of Noah, so shall the coming of the Son of Man be."
Then he could have just said "I give you another chance" then fly up to heaven like Mohammed did. But another chance at what? Agreeing to eternal servitude to escape eternal torture because his daddy played a pretty mean trick on Adam and Eve, and further, punished the rest of humanity for it.

Quite clearly the being you worship is a complete and total utter psychopath.

You call this "holy, moral, righteous and good".
SBT wrote:
Something bad happened to push a seafloor to 29,000ft and bury trillions of live animals.
Yup - psychotheism.

But don't worry, there's zero evidence it ever happened.
SBT wrote:
God doesn't need to explain everything He does.
And he sure doesn't. Instead he acts like a spoiled brat, and not that much different from many other petty Gods who existed at that time.
SBT wrote:
Man has alot of freedom
No, there is no freedom under your position. Free will is an illusion since God is all-knowing. And the "choice" is a joke - slavery or burn.
SBT wrote:
to harm for sure here and we don't understand it all.
Nevertheless, you claim to understand more than other people, despite the fact you have no evidence and have no more access to any more "special" info that the rest of us don't.

Of course you could make like Suzy Blange and say that God personally visited you in your bedroom and gave you a happy.
SBT wrote:
Fact is, a plan has been established
Which is what makes your deity extremely twisted.
SBT wrote:
and made clear for what He does want us to know.
Which is apparently absolutely positively NOTHING.

That's why he left no evidence and left us "messengers" like yourself who worship total ignorance.

That is not a good way of communicating one's intentions, especially if they are supposed to have drastic cosmic consequences.

No real God could be that stupid, surely...
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2013

Judged:

replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
So they think Birthdays are for giving gifts and not getting gifts. After all why would Santa give gifts if it was his birthday? They must get real confused on their birthday.
Because he's mega rich and he's a nice guy.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2013

Judged:

replaytime wrote:
You even speak of me on threads I don't go to.
Oh no! You're one of THEM!

:-O

(Dude hurriedly makes tin-foil hat)
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2013

replaytime wrote:
Hey, if you wanna believe God is responsible for abio and evolution then best of luck to ya. But all the fundies around here have been claiming the Almighty isn't capable. All we do is point out their error, whether the invisible wizard exists or not.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2013

Judged:

SBT wrote:
I am nothing but an unworthy grafted weed.
Hot dayum, even a fundie can be correct twice a day. All you need to do now just tell us water is wet and you're done.

Praise the Lord.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••