Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 201113 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#102772 Oct 22, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
As I said "a flood of Noah's scale may have happened in the middle east, just not world"
Yes, Noah's Flood May Have Happened, But Not Over the Whole Earth
http://ncse.com/rncse/29/5/yes-noahs-flood-ma...
So one could reason if it could happen regionally at one place, it could happen regionally anywhere.
Sorry, but the key word you used was "scale". You used it twice. That still would require at least locally 5 vertical miles of water.

“Ask Randy From Ballwin”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

He Is A Sock Know It All

#102773 Oct 22, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, but the key word you used was "scale". You used it twice. That still would require at least locally 5 vertical miles of water.
The problem is that you base/judge those days on your knowledge of today.

Back in those days, like the BS flat earth you all go on about, if they did not have any means to know better, then they could not know better. Still to this day, if you did not know better and you were looking out to the horizon over land or sea, the world would look like it came to an end. Agreed?

The flood story I posted. Again back then if you did not and could not know better, with 1.6 million square kilometers under water,,, one would believe the world was flooded. Agreed?

Level 9

Everett, WA

#102774 Oct 22, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Back in those days, like the BS flat earth you all go on about, if they did not have any means to know better, then they could not know better. Still to this day, if you did not know better and you were looking out to the horizon over land or sea, the world would look like it came to an end. Agreed?
The flood story I posted. Again back then if you did not and could not know better, with 1.6 million square kilometers under water,,, one would believe the world was flooded. Agreed?
I am not denying that a flood story could have arisen from such a flood. And locals might think that the whole world had flooded. I have no problem with the various possible logical explanations for the Flood myth. The fact is that is not even 1% of the Earth's surface. No animal species were threatened, man was not threatened. Man did not recover from only 8 individuals.

“Dinosaurs survived the flood!”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

Jesus probably rode dinosaurs!

#102775 Oct 22, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
This isn't new information to this forum. It has been discussed at length before.

No one has missed that lack of knowledge by ancient people resulted in explanations that over the top so to speak. The flooding of the Black Sea is potentially a source of origin of the Genesis flood.

What has been in contention are the claims by Fundamentalists that the flood occurred absolutely and that Genesis is an accurate depiction of that event.

By the way, a flood of the same scale as the Genesis flood would be a global flood. I think what you mean to say is that there were floods of reduced scale, but because of ignorance they were believed to be of the whole world.

“Ask Randy From Ballwin”

Level 5

He Is A Sock Know It All

#102776 Oct 22, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>This isn't new information to this forum. It has been discussed at length before.
No one has missed that lack of knowledge by ancient people resulted in explanations that over the top so to speak. The flooding of the Black Sea is potentially a source of origin of the Genesis flood.
What has been in contention are the claims by Fundamentalists that the flood occurred absolutely and that Genesis is an accurate depiction of that event.
By the way, a flood of the same scale as the Genesis flood would be a global flood. I think what you mean to say is that there were floods of reduced scale, but because of ignorance they were believed to be of the whole world.
No I don't think people back in those days were ignorant. They were smart for their time. Just not as advanced as we are now.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#102777 Oct 22, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
No I don't think people back in those days were ignorant. They were smart for their time. Just not as advanced as we are now.
I don't think anyone has called the people of the past exceptionally ignorant. They were naturally ignorant since mankind has learned quite a bit since those days.

The people who are exceptionally ignorant are those that take the myths of the past seriously today in light of all of the knowledge we have available now.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#102778 Oct 22, 2013
SBT wrote:
<quoted text>
Austin gets permits to do real science (like for 30 years in the Grand Canyon), get's signs and guidebooks changed, gets papers published (like his nautiloid work in the Redwall) proving his theories with full support of the Natl Park service and presents to them often. You do any of that? A Penn State PhD is no keeper of "His credentials are all the more reason for you to view his religious sycophantic presentation with shame and chagrin." Shame, what shame? Call Penn State and tell them their PhD program is shamefull, and what credentials do you have to question him? As a professional I can tell you your statements are gobbelygoop and make no sense. As the Tapeats is a pure sandstone with signs of a turbidite (and fossilized) how can you date it?? I know this because I researched there, and about the Kaibab, it's full of hot uranium (likely caused the upwarp) and again a water deposited sediment with fossils. The only "dating" means is using marine fossils based on what??, comparisons and guessing. Moving water and homogenous layers are evidenced everywhere in the Canyon. Sorry, but you are very mistaken.
http://www.genesisalive.com/2013/09/the-grand...
http://www.genesisalive.com/2013/10/the-grand...
Sorry, but Steve Austin is full of crap. You wanted an article that debunked his nonsense, here you go:

http://tinyurl.com/2g8h

It is based upon real peer reviewed science. I will gladly explain why peer reviewed science is so important in a debate like this.

“Ask Randy From Ballwin”

Level 5

He Is A Sock Know It All

#102779 Oct 22, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think anyone has called the people of the past exceptionally ignorant. They were naturally ignorant since mankind has learned quite a bit since those days.
The people who are exceptionally ignorant are those that take the myths of the past seriously today in light of all of the knowledge we have available now.
It is hard to call a culture naturally ignorant because they did not know the knowledge that did not exist.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#102780 Oct 22, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
It is hard to call a culture naturally ignorant because they did not know the knowledge that did not exist.
No, there is nothing wrong with calling them naturally ignorant.

I am sure there are many things that we are naturally ignorant about due to knowledge that we have not learned yet.

I of course not say what we are naturally ignorant about since, as you pointed out, that knowledge does not exist yet.

My point was that there is a big difference between be naturally ignorant, where the knowledge does not exist in the world yet, to being purposefully ignorant, which is what almost every creationist is.

“Ask Randy From Ballwin”

Level 5

He Is A Sock Know It All

#102781 Oct 22, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
How come topix ended the game you all played?

Level 9

Everett, WA

#102782 Oct 22, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
I have no idea.

It is a bit of a relief. No need to pointlessly waste my time anymore. It was a bit like eating popcorn, once you start it is hard to stop.

“Ask Randy From Ballwin”

Level 5

He Is A Sock Know It All

#102783 Oct 22, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
No, there is nothing wrong with calling them naturally ignorant.
I am sure there are many things that we are naturally ignorant about due to knowledge that we have not learned yet.
I of course not say what we are naturally ignorant about since, as you pointed out, that knowledge does not exist yet.
My point was that there is a big difference between be naturally ignorant, where the knowledge does not exist in the world yet, to being purposefully ignorant, which is what almost every creationist is.
That's kind of like saying the whole world is ignorant compared to the top 10%, which would include more than just creationists. It would include most everyone,,, except that 10%

Level 9

#102784 Oct 22, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
If you do not know something then you are ignorant of that something. Ignorance does not me stupid. But I agree they were not as generally aware as we are today or least as much as we should be.

Level 9

#102785 Oct 22, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, but Steve Austin is full of crap. You wanted an article that debunked his nonsense, here you go:
http://tinyurl.com/2g8h
It is based upon real peer reviewed science. I will gladly explain why peer reviewed science is so important in a debate like this.
Yes he is, but he is better, stronger, faster and stone cold.

“Ask Randy From Ballwin”

Level 5

He Is A Sock Know It All

#102786 Oct 22, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
I have no idea.
It is a bit of a relief. No need to pointlessly waste my time anymore. It was a bit like eating popcorn, once you start it is hard to stop.
I have noticed on most threads, the number of comments have dropped. Maybe just slow days or maybe due to the game ending.

Now if they would also do away with the judgits so that the cowards that hide behind them would have to comment or not be heard from would be great.

“Ask Randy From Ballwin”

Level 5

He Is A Sock Know It All

#102787 Oct 22, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
It makes no sense why someone would judge this comment. Talk about IGNORANT!!! LMAO

Level 9

Everett, WA

#102788 Oct 22, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
I have noticed on most threads, the number of comments have dropped. Maybe just slow days or maybe due to the game ending.
Now if they would also do away with the judgits so that the cowards that hide behind them would have to comment or not be heard from would be great.
Or perhaps a compromise. When you got a prop you could click on a box to the left of the prop to see who gave it to you.

They should have the same with judgeits. You should be able to see who gave you what judge it. In some ways that would be a shortcut, when a creationist makes a statement that is too stupid to bother replying to you could still judgeit and then the person could see who was judging them.

I agree that anonymous judgeits suck.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#102789 Oct 22, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>Yes he is, but he is better, stronger, faster and stone cold.
So you are saying that Steve Austin is Stone Cold and has a net worth of $6,000,000.00. That could be, I think he is grossly over valued if that is the case.

“Ask Randy From Ballwin”

Level 5

He Is A Sock Know It All

#102790 Oct 22, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Or perhaps a compromise. When you got a prop you could click on a box to the left of the prop to see who gave it to you.
They should have the same with judgeits. You should be able to see who gave you what judge it. In some ways that would be a shortcut, when a creationist makes a statement that is too stupid to bother replying to you could still judgeit and then the person could see who was judging them.
I agree that anonymous judgeits suck.
Agreed!

Level 9

#102791 Oct 22, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Since it is an anonymous site, I don't think people who select the judgits are cowards because they are even more anonymous. In fact, I don't think about them much at all. I know there those who claim to know who gives them negative judgits, but that is just blind speculation. There is no way to know. It turns out to be more amusing watching them go on about the judgits than it is to waste time giving any to those people. I occasionally give them if the comments are especially good or especially stupid and I don't have time to comment fully, but for the most part I don't think about them.

Making the givers visible would be fine by me.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Word Association (Mar '10) 4 min wichita-rick 20,658
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 10 min wichita-rick 18,379
Change-one-of-six-letters (Dec '12) 13 min beatlesinthebog 8,905
News Strange green foam bubbles out of storm drain, ... 14 min wichita-rick 5
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 15 min CJ Rocker 194,193
2015: "Make a Story/ 6 Words Only: (Apr '15) 17 min beatlesinthebog 6,994
Change 1 letter game! (Nov '11) 23 min SweLL GirL 7,984
Crystal_Clears Kitchen (Refurbished) (Jan '16) 1 hr Crystal_Clear722 8,476
What Turns You Off (Jun '11) 2 hr honeymylove 7,797
TRUMP, Donald (Jun '15) 6 hr Family man 146