Evolution vs. Creation

There are 163619 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

“Evil Atheist :-)”

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#102710 Oct 22, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Revelation 12:9
The great dragon was hurled down—that ancient serpent called the devil, or Satan, who leads the whole world astray...
Revelations? The most insane book in the Bible?
RiversideRedneck wrote:
No, you misunderstand. Satan himself was not cursed, whatever the creature was that Satan was posing as was cursed - into a snake. As a reminder to us all of the treachery that Satan is.
You do realise that none of your explanation is actually in the Bible don't you?

Nice to see you accept the serpent was a snake.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#102711 Oct 22, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Yah, where I live, we have an infestation of Cane Toads (Bufo marinus) which pack toxins in glands under their skins. These toxins can be fatal if ingested. Kills dogs and cats - and some kids have been getting high by licking the things.
i thought that was a myth...wrong species of Bufus, and you have to dry and smoke the toxin they give off to get high, and you get very, very high off it. it is a desert variety of the Bufus species, according to Wade Davis, the ethnobotonist who wrote "serpent and the rainbow"....
Priest

Tulsa, OK

#102712 Oct 22, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Holyshitballs an ANSWER!!
You're not an atheist, huh?
Yes, I am atheist to the bone. But, "in the beginning" I wasn't.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Lakeland, FL

#102713 Oct 22, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>i thought that was a myth...wrong species of Bufus, and you have to dry and smoke the toxin they give off to get high, and you get very, very high off it. it is a desert variety of the Bufus species, according to Wade Davis, the ethnobotonist who wrote "serpent and the rainbow"....
Sadly, they are too big to fit in my bong.

“If It Is Possible”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

It Will Likely Happen

#102714 Oct 22, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>i thought that was a myth...wrong species of Bufus, and you have to dry and smoke the toxin they give off to get high, and you get very, very high off it. it is a desert variety of the Bufus species, according to Wade Davis, the ethnobotonist who wrote "serpent and the rainbow"....
As always you thought wrong. The cane toad has poison glands, and the tadpoles are highly toxic to most animals if ingested.

Oh and it is a member of the genus Rhinella but was formerly in the genus Bufo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cane_toad

St. Croix valley

#102715 Oct 22, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
As always you thought wrong. The cane toad has poison glands, and the tadpoles are highly toxic to most animals if ingested.
Oh and it is a member of the genus Rhinella but was formerly in the genus Bufo.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cane_toad
no, i was not wrong. you cannot get high from licking bufus marianus..yes, it is poisonous but you cannot get high from licking it.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#102716 Oct 22, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
Yah, that's doable with my local species also.

St. Croix valley

#102717 Oct 22, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Sadly, they are too big to fit in my bong.
have you read any of Wade Davis? in shadows in the sun he explains why Bufus marianus cannot get you high by licking it, but he heard of some guy out in the desert of Arizona that 'smoked toad' so he checked him out. he dries the secretions off the toad, then smokes it.

davis described it as off the earth into the black sun kind of high....not for the inexperienced or weak of heart and mind, he said...

“Good day to you!”

Level 2

Since: Oct 08

Earth

#102718 Oct 22, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Even the oldest of mountain ranges that we see on the Earth today are much younger than the Earth itself. In fact younger on the order of 4 billion years. Now there may be some roots of ancient mountain ranges left, but the actual ancient mountains have long ago been eroded back to the sea.
Yes I agree. But the theory still stands that rains in the earth's infancy globally flooded this earth and we have no evidence of it. But scientists are more than sure it took place though their is no evidence.

St. Croix valley

#102719 Oct 22, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes I agree. But the theory still stands that rains in the earth's infancy globally flooded this earth and we have no evidence of it. But scientists are more than sure it took place though their is no evidence.
the bible says it didn't rain until the noachian flood, so we know that can't be true...

“If It Is Possible”

Level 5

It Will Likely Happen

#102720 Oct 22, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>no, i was not wrong. you cannot get high from licking bufus marianus..yes, it is poisonous but you cannot get high from licking it.
It is Rhinella marina not Bufus marianus <<< is this a but frog? LOL) Though it used to be Bufo marina.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Lakeland, FL

#102721 Oct 22, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>have you read any of Wade Davis?
I read "The Serpent and the Rainbow" a looooong time ago.
woodtick57 wrote:
in shadows in the sun he explains why Bufus marianus cannot get you high by licking it, but he heard of some guy out in the desert of Arizona that 'smoked toad' so he checked him out. he dries the secretions off the toad, then smokes it.
davis described it as off the earth into the black sun kind of high....not for the inexperienced or weak of heart and mind, he said...
Seems like a lot of work. Mushrooms are much easier.

;-)

St. Croix valley

#102722 Oct 22, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
It is Rhinella marina not Bufus marianus <<< is this a but frog? LOL) Though it used to be Bufo marina.
regardless of how you want to classify it, you cannot get high from licking it.

real men can admit when they are wrong...what happened to you?

“If It Is Possible”

Level 5

It Will Likely Happen

#102723 Oct 22, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>the bible says it didn't rain until the noachian flood, so we know that can't be true...
Tick can you put the verse that says that. Why you are at it put up the verse that says there were plants before the sun.

St. Croix valley

#102724 Oct 22, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
I read "The Serpent and the Rainbow" a looooong time ago.
<quoted text>
Seems like a lot of work. Mushrooms are much easier.
;-)
try "Shadows in the Sun". great book.

“If It Is Possible”

Level 5

It Will Likely Happen

#102725 Oct 22, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>regardless of how you want to classify it, you cannot get high from licking it.
I was addressing the poison part of the post. I don't know if they can get someone high or not, I did leave that out. But I do know it is the Bufo alvarius that can.

“Good day to you!”

Level 2

Since: Oct 08

Earth

#102726 Oct 22, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Yes the seabeds were pushed up, but until several years ago none of the primordial supercontinent had been found and was thought to have been recycled long ago. It was found, and it out dates the sea , this means the crust was pushing up out of the molten lava before the ocean was there.
So when the ocean formed and other parts of Vaalbara were pushing up the Earth was forming dynamically and rising and falling land masses suggest there may never been a time when all the surface was covered by water at the same time.
The evidence is suggesting the old views were incorrect , as a 4.2 billion year old continent is older than a 3.8 billion year old ocean.
http://www3.uni-bonn.de/Press-releases/a-new-...
It's a theory. Like the older theory.
"A new theory on the formation of the oldest continents"
From your link..."The oceanic crust could (COULD) have simply 'oozed' continents at the same time that other geological processes were occurring, like volcanism, orogeny, and the influx of water."
By the way, it is quite evident that the mantle and crust of the earth in it's infancy were older than the first sea and or ocean floors since gasses making clouds that produced rain fall came afterwards. Just saying.

“If It Is Possible”

Level 5

It Will Likely Happen

#102727 Oct 22, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>regardless of how you want to classify it, you cannot get high from licking it.
If by "you classify it" you mean me, it is not how "I" classify it. It is how science classifies it.

St. Croix valley

#102728 Oct 22, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
I was addressing the poison part of the post. I don't know if they can get someone high or not, I did leave that out. But I do know it is the Bufo alvarius that can.
googling toads in your spare time?

St. Croix valley

#102729 Oct 22, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Tick can you put the verse that says that. Why you are at it put up the verse that says there were plants before the sun.
read your cult book, it will do you good to realize what a foolish cult you take your ideas from...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
~`*`~ Create a sentence using the 'letters' of ... (Oct '12) 5 min Hoosier Hillbilly 2,284
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 18 min Papa Smurfaletto 11,329
Change "1" letter =ONLY= (Oct '12) 18 min Doug77 5,705
News 'It feels weird asking everybody for permission... 23 min Lawrence Wolf 70
News Lt. Gov. Tina Smith: Why Won't The Legislature ... 33 min cowboy chris 26
Make A Sentance out of a 5 letter word. (Nov '09) 34 min Hoosier Hillbilly 31,996
6 letter word ...change one letter game (Oct '08) 37 min Doug77 28,827
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 1 hr Denny CranesPlace 40,613
News Cate Blanchett denies lesbian past 1 hr Sublime1 27
More from around the web