Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 218823 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

“Ditat Deus”

Level 1

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#102684 Oct 22, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>what logic would it serve your proven false god to tell two different stories about the garden of eden, as he clearly has...
LMAO!

Ugh, not this again.

Why are so many of you atheists so biblically ignorant?

“Ditat Deus”

Level 1

Location hidden

#102685 Oct 22, 2013
Igor Trip wrote:
<quoted text>
For the same reason that he planted a fruit tree in Eden and then told everyone not to eat from it. That is, your guess is as good as mine.
No. The answer is that it makes no logical sense, whether you believe the stories in Genesis or not.

Genesis calls it a serpent, then clearly God curses whatever it was into a snake.

It makes no sense whatsoever to curse something to be what it already is.

Imagine if God cursed you to be a human.... You'd be like "Oh gee, God. Damn, that sucks."

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#102686 Oct 22, 2013
Priest wrote:
I have a serious question for a christian.
Why is okay to believe the parts of the bible that suit you and discard those passages that you do not like? Shouldn't you follow the "word" completely, and not disobey when it suits you? How is it okay to pick and choose from "his" words?
"I permit no woman to teach or have authority over men; she is to keep silent." Timothy 2:11
"Whosoever putteth away his wife, and marrieth another, committeth adultery: and whosoever marrieth her that is put away from her husband committeth adultery." (Luke 16:18)
If in spite of this you still do not listen to me but continue to be hostile toward me, 28 then in my anger I will be hostile toward you, and I myself will punish you for your sins seven times over. 29 You will eat the flesh of your sons and the flesh of your daughters."(Leviticus 26:27-30)
"He that is wounded in the stones, or hath his privy member cut off, shall not enter into the congregation of the Lord."(Deuteronomy 23:1)
(If you have testicular cancer, god hates you.)
"But if she bear a maid child, then she shall be unclean two weeks, as in her separation: and she shall continue in the blood of her purifying threescore and six days." (Leviticus 12:5)
(god hates women)
So, you're just going to ignore these words from god?
Of course they are... those words are inconvenient. Besides... very few Christians have ever even cracked open their bibles let alone read it.

Level 2

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#102687 Oct 22, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay, you've shown your contempt of this use of poetic license by Nova for several pages now. Regardless of whatever you have read in however many of your Apologist bloggers' articles, it is little more than an obscure and superficial piece of flowery narration from a single pop science episode.
The reason that you don't get any "satisfactory" replies (about abiogenesis or anything else)is probably because most have been here long enough to know you are just baiting again. You've scoffed at and dismissed the serious answers and links that have been provided and you proceed to launch unceasing personal attacks on those who have provided them. You've made it consistently and abundantly clear that you've got nothing but willful antagonism, ignorance, hostility, intolerance and prejudice and you want nothing but backlash.
Don't btch when you get what you came for and leave with no more than what you've brought.
- and to the room: Sorry, I know I just belabored the obvious.
First it was not a blogger site, it was an Emmy award winning documentary. It describes perfectly the BELIEFS that inhabit this thread. What it is, is embarressing .The real reason you don't get any satisfactory replies is that there are none!

All that is said is buffoonery
1. Abiogenesis! I ask for an explanation of how it worked and might get the we don't know, but we know it worked answer. That's not science ,that's faith, but it has to be since nobody has a clue, yet that sure doesn't slow down the lies told to try and defend it.

We have the discovered the key to life, Aura
we know how life began...Sucking bone
life is simple chemistry.. Dude
and there are many more!

on and on ,nothing but lies. Why?

to defend the indefensible. That's why

Level 2

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#102688 Oct 22, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
RiversideRedneck wrote:
There is no evidence that life can create itself. None.
<quoted text>
Flowers creating flowers?
O_o
That is not life from non-life, dude .....
He's had that pointed out a 100 times, but that's the only response he can muster. I mean what else can he say, there's no evidence.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Earth

#102689 Oct 22, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
RiversideRedneck wrote:
What logic would it serve for God to curse a snake to become a snake?

Sigh....
Well at least you answered.
Allow me to rephrase.
Assume that you believe Genesis is true, what logic would it serve for God to curse a snake to become a snake?
Because failing the IQ tests in the first chapter of the Book is a prerequisite to membership?
Priest

Tulsa, OK

#102690 Oct 22, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Assume that you believe Genesis is true, what logic would it serve for God to curse a snake to become a snake?
He didn't curse a snake to become a snake. The Hebrew word for serpent is nachash. Nachash originally meant “shining, upright creature”. In the beginning the nachash had the ability to stand upright and converse with man, but was still a "beast of the field." When satan used it to tempt Eve, god damned it for imposing itself upon man, whom he had made to rule the earth and ALL it's creatures, and cursed it to crawl on it's belly. He took away it's ability to stand eye to eye with man. Therefore, the serpent (nachash) did become a snake.

“Evil Atheist :-)”

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#102691 Oct 22, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No. The answer is that it makes no logical sense, whether you believe the stories in Genesis or not.
Genesis calls it a serpent, then clearly God curses whatever it was into a snake.
It makes no sense whatsoever to curse something to be what it already is.
Imagine if God cursed you to be a human.... You'd be like "Oh gee, God. Damn, that sucks."
Of course the story makes no sense. That's why we're atheists.
But as it's supposed to make sense to you we need to use our imagination a bit.

So we need a snake that can be cursed, that is, changed somehow.
So if we give it legs to begin with like most reptiles, it can then loose them when cursed.
Problem solved!

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Earth

#102692 Oct 22, 2013
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
First it was not a blogger site, it was an Emmy award winning documentary. It describes perfectly the BELIEFS that inhabit this thread. What it is, is embarressing .The real reason you don't get any satisfactory replies is that there are none!
All that is said is buffoonery
1. Abiogenesis! I ask for an explanation of how it worked and might get the we don't know, but we know it worked answer. That's not science ,that's faith, but it has to be since nobody has a clue, yet that sure doesn't slow down the lies told to try and defend it.
We have the discovered the key to life, Aura
we know how life began...Sucking bone
life is simple chemistry.. Dude
and there are many more!
on and on ,nothing but lies. Why?
to defend the indefensible. That's why
Nope... when you do a text search, it is very difficult to find the Nova transcript you cite - yet that snippet you posted is overwhelmingly popular among the apologists sites - and stop the posture and lie dance, you aren't fooling anyone with your deceitful protestations. Those are >precisely< where you got it from, the same inane cesspits you gobble and regurgitate the stagnant swill you call "evidence" and "science" from.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#102693 Oct 22, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
LMAO!
Ugh, not this again.
bet i know more about your silly cult book than you do.

all studies show that non-believers know more about religious cults than the cult members.

but your cult hates knowledge...remember when i pointed that lesson from your bible out to you?

what a tool!

St. Croix valley

#102694 Oct 22, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
LMAO!
Ugh, not this again.
this had to do with the other sect of your cult and the quran, not the bible...

do try to keep up, dear...

“Ditat Deus”

Level 1

Location hidden

#102695 Oct 22, 2013
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
He's had that pointed out a 100 times, but that's the only response he can muster. I mean what else can he say, there's no evidence.
I just can't understand the atheist buffoonery that goes on in this thread...

“Ditat Deus”

Level 1

Location hidden

#102696 Oct 22, 2013
Priest wrote:
<quoted text>He didn't curse a snake to become a snake. The Hebrew word for serpent is nachash. Nachash originally meant “shining, upright creature”. In the beginning the nachash had the ability to stand upright and converse with man, but was still a "beast of the field." When satan used it to tempt Eve, god damned it for imposing itself upon man, whom he had made to rule the earth and ALL it's creatures, and cursed it to crawl on it's belly. He took away it's ability to stand eye to eye with man. Therefore, the serpent (nachash) did become a snake.
Holyshitballs an ANSWER!!

You're not an atheist, huh?

“Ditat Deus”

Level 1

Location hidden

#102697 Oct 22, 2013
Igor Trip wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course the story makes no sense. That's why we're atheists.
But as it's supposed to make sense to you we need to use our imagination a bit.
So we need a snake that can be cursed, that is, changed somehow.
So if we give it legs to begin with like most reptiles, it can then loose them when cursed.
Problem solved!
I thought atheists (or at least most of them) claim to be intellectuals.

Genesis never once refers to that Serpent as a snake OR a lizard.

Why do you fill in the blanks like that?

It was Satan (a serpent, a liar, sly, treacherous) in the form of ***something***. What, we don't know.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Lakeland, FL

#102698 Oct 22, 2013
MAAT wrote:
<quoted text>
I read the comment...they rasp them up.
Strange Indians...two meals in one and they just film it!
Though frogs and toads can be bad for your health if you kiss them.
True. We have Cain (or Marine) toads all over the place. Quite poisoning. A friend of mine had a small dog that killed one. Then the toad killed the dog.

Though I hold out hope that the local coyotes will eat some.

Level 8

Lakeland, FL

#102700 Oct 22, 2013
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
Whoa,whoa,whoa! you are the all knowing dumbass who said,....we have discovered the key of life!, I see you were either lying,..or just stupid.I can see how you'd have a hard time keeping track of all the shit you throw out to defend your faith.
No, Blow Hard. I've never said anything about a key of life. Ever. You must be getting pretty desperate when all you can do is outright lie. But not really a surprise coming from a snot-nosed 3rd grader like yourself.

I can see how you'd have a hard time keeping track of anything. Especially who said what. Maybe some Post-It notes on your monitor would help.

You're making Jim Ryan look like a genius.

“Evil Atheist :-)”

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#102701 Oct 22, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought atheists (or at least most of them) claim to be intellectuals.
Genesis never once refers to that Serpent as a snake OR a lizard.
Why do you fill in the blanks like that?
It was Satan (a serpent, a liar, sly, treacherous) in the form of ***something***. What, we don't know.
Where does the Bible say the serpent was Satan?
Does Satan crawl on his belly?

“Ditat Deus”

Level 1

Location hidden

#102702 Oct 22, 2013
Igor Trip wrote:
Revelation 12:9

The great dragon was hurled down—that ancient serpent called the devil, or Satan, who leads the whole world astray...

No, you misunderstand. Satan himself was not cursed, whatever the creature was that Satan was posing as was cursed - into a snake. As a reminder to us all of the treachery that Satan is.

St. Croix valley

#102703 Oct 22, 2013
Igor Trip wrote:
<quoted text>
ouch! that has to hurt after his bragging about his bible knowledge...

it's ok, his cult hates people with knowledge...

Level 8

Lakeland, FL

#102704 Oct 22, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
RiversideRedneck wrote:
What logic would it serve for God to curse a snake to become a snake?
<quoted text>
Sigh....
Well at least you answered.
I've been known to do that on occasion.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Allow me to rephrase.
By all means.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Assume that you believe Genesis is true...
I do not.

What I do think is that Genesis 1 (and to a lesser degree, Genesis 2) was a brilliant attempt by ancient Hebrews to try and deduce how it all came to be. They could have simply written "Abracadabra!" and BOOM! here we are. But they didn't. They tried to reason it out. They were right about some things - even if by pure luck - and wrong about others.

Carry on...
RiversideRedneck wrote:
...what logic would it serve for God to curse a snake to become a snake?
None. But then, you don't know if a snake in the Garden of Eden *had* legs. Speaking in a mythical sense, of course.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Post any FOUR words (Feb '16) 1 min Mr_FX 2,954
Names, A to Z, ... (Aug '12) 1 min Old Sam 3,556
2words into 2new words (May '12) 1 min Mr_FX 7,402
*add A word / drop a word* (Nov '12) 2 min Old Sam 15,995
Last 3 Letters into 3 new words. (Dec '08) 3 min Mr_FX 61,371
Change-one-of-six-letters (Dec '12) 3 min Old Sam 9,848
keep a word drop a word (Sep '12) 4 min Old Sam 15,586
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 6 min Enzo49 68,403
Back in the day...... 14 min Old Sam 87
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 49 min Enzo49 209,991