Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 221915 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

““You must not lose faith ”

Level 5

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#102673 Oct 22, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>They swallow 'em whole. Got no teeth.
And yes, gastropds do sometimes cannibalize. In fact, they're on record as eating frogs...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =uhYBoxJLv5kXX
I read the comment...they rasp them up.

Strange Indians...two meals in one and they just film it!

Though frogs and toads can be bad for your health if you kiss them.

Level 5

Location hidden

#102674 Oct 22, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>i think if one is not in northern Mn, they would ripen faster and flower more often. it might also do better when it gets older.
GF says they ship two or three year old trees that are old enough that they bear fruit the next season...
no, no god gods or goddesses played any part in pollinating it, nor did Cybele's bees, just an indoor plant.
Ah no the god question was for redneck.

But is it usual for them to take a whole year to turn yellow.
As i understood you they must first ripen and then they trun yellow...right?
But that process took a year?

I do not want to bore everyone to bits but i'm not getting your astonishment given the cool answers. l.o.l.

Whatever happened to Cybele? Fun.

Level 2

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#102675 Oct 22, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
"There is no scientific explanation for how life began."
Incorrect, there is an explanation. However it is...
One you do not like, It's called abiogenesis.
What there isn't is a scientific explanation for god.
So lets hear your theory of special creation.
We know how that goes, you start out with mythical invisible sky daddy's and work your way down.
Still got the secret of life?....while your at it explain how life self assembled in the beginning,...I mean you have a theory ,there must be observable ,repeatable and testable evidence of how this happened.

Level 2

Location hidden

#102676 Oct 22, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
How many goddamn times to you have to be told the question has not been answered??? It's a work in progress. Do you know that that means or do I have to explain that to your dumb ass as well.
Here. Since using Google or Wikipedia is apparently well over you head, here is a good summary of the current research:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abiogenesis
And before you go into your crybaby mode about Wiki, notice the 188 reference links at the bottom of the page to further information.
<quoted text>
No, he's not. If you would take the time to read and understand - a long shot, I know - maybe you would catch on to what he's actually saying. I'm not putting any money on that, however.
Whoa,whoa,whoa! you are the all knowing dumbass who said,....we have discovered the key of life!, I see you were either lying,..or just stupid.I can see how you'd have a hard time keeping track of all the shit you throw out to defend your faith.

Level 5

Location hidden

#102677 Oct 22, 2013
correction
...we have here luscious ripened green lemons. full stop (would morse-code be better.lol)
Then we waited a full year for them to turn yellow...not noticing that they were a variation on ...those green bitter-sour slicy things you add to rum....uh

It must be osmosis but i do indeed think that ripening/growing and then turning yellow all took a year.

Grow +ripen= full green size
Now turn yellow to be attractive, for now the seeds have build up enough.

That's how nature would do it though.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#102678 Oct 22, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Um, because they are a creationist?(shrug)
Of course his disingenuousness over the whole thing just goes to show - ain't no such thing as a Biblical literalist.
Among the mythical creatures like talking snakes and rainbow unicorns, I'm wondering if there is any such animal as a religious person who is honest with others and hasn't thoroughly lied to themselves - or visa versa.

“Evil Atheist :-)”

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#102679 Oct 22, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Throw that supposition out the window along with your red herring and answer the damn question.
What logic would it serve for God to curse a snake to become a snake?
For the same reason that he planted a fruit tree in Eden and then told everyone not to eat from it. That is, your guess is as good as mine.
Priest

Tulsa, OK

#102680 Oct 22, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Among the mythical creatures like talking snakes and rainbow unicorns, I'm wondering if there is any such animal as a religious person who is honest with others and hasn't thoroughly lied to themselves - or visa versa.
You can't believe in god without lying to yourself, or hanging on the beliefs that were spoon-fed to you as a child. So, no.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Level 1

Location hidden

#102681 Oct 22, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:

There is no evidence that life can create itself. None.
The Dude wrote:
Plants quite obviously don't give a crud what you think.
There's a field full of flowers all capable of creating lots of little flowers, which as far as can be determined, don't need the interference of magic Jew wizards.
Flowers creating flowers?

O_o

That is not life from non-life, dude .....

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Level 1

Location hidden

#102682 Oct 22, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
MikeF wrote:

No logic at all. There is no logic in the entire story. So arguing about snakes/serpents appearing in mythology is nothing more than mental masturbation.
Sigh....

Well at least you answered.

Allow me to rephrase.

Assume that you believe Genesis is true, what logic would it serve for God to curse a snake to become a snake?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Level 1

Location hidden

#102683 Oct 22, 2013
MikeF wrote:

[SARCASM]
So how many angels CAN dance on the head of a pin?
[/SARCASM]
Better?
Yes, thank you.

Let's pray about it.

HEEEEEEEEEEY BATTER BATTER BATTER! SAAWIIIIING BATTER!!!!!!

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Level 1

Location hidden

#102684 Oct 22, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>what logic would it serve your proven false god to tell two different stories about the garden of eden, as he clearly has...
LMAO!

Ugh, not this again.

Why are so many of you atheists so biblically ignorant?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Level 1

Location hidden

#102685 Oct 22, 2013
Igor Trip wrote:
<quoted text>
For the same reason that he planted a fruit tree in Eden and then told everyone not to eat from it. That is, your guess is as good as mine.
No. The answer is that it makes no logical sense, whether you believe the stories in Genesis or not.

Genesis calls it a serpent, then clearly God curses whatever it was into a snake.

It makes no sense whatsoever to curse something to be what it already is.

Imagine if God cursed you to be a human.... You'd be like "Oh gee, God. Damn, that sucks."

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#102686 Oct 22, 2013
Priest wrote:
I have a serious question for a christian.
Why is okay to believe the parts of the bible that suit you and discard those passages that you do not like? Shouldn't you follow the "word" completely, and not disobey when it suits you? How is it okay to pick and choose from "his" words?
"I permit no woman to teach or have authority over men; she is to keep silent." Timothy 2:11
"Whosoever putteth away his wife, and marrieth another, committeth adultery: and whosoever marrieth her that is put away from her husband committeth adultery." (Luke 16:18)
If in spite of this you still do not listen to me but continue to be hostile toward me, 28 then in my anger I will be hostile toward you, and I myself will punish you for your sins seven times over. 29 You will eat the flesh of your sons and the flesh of your daughters."(Leviticus 26:27-30)
"He that is wounded in the stones, or hath his privy member cut off, shall not enter into the congregation of the Lord."(Deuteronomy 23:1)
(If you have testicular cancer, god hates you.)
"But if she bear a maid child, then she shall be unclean two weeks, as in her separation: and she shall continue in the blood of her purifying threescore and six days." (Leviticus 12:5)
(god hates women)
So, you're just going to ignore these words from god?
Of course they are... those words are inconvenient. Besides... very few Christians have ever even cracked open their bibles let alone read it.

Level 2

Location hidden

#102687 Oct 22, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay, you've shown your contempt of this use of poetic license by Nova for several pages now. Regardless of whatever you have read in however many of your Apologist bloggers' articles, it is little more than an obscure and superficial piece of flowery narration from a single pop science episode.
The reason that you don't get any "satisfactory" replies (about abiogenesis or anything else)is probably because most have been here long enough to know you are just baiting again. You've scoffed at and dismissed the serious answers and links that have been provided and you proceed to launch unceasing personal attacks on those who have provided them. You've made it consistently and abundantly clear that you've got nothing but willful antagonism, ignorance, hostility, intolerance and prejudice and you want nothing but backlash.
Don't btch when you get what you came for and leave with no more than what you've brought.
- and to the room: Sorry, I know I just belabored the obvious.
First it was not a blogger site, it was an Emmy award winning documentary. It describes perfectly the BELIEFS that inhabit this thread. What it is, is embarressing .The real reason you don't get any satisfactory replies is that there are none!

All that is said is buffoonery
1. Abiogenesis! I ask for an explanation of how it worked and might get the we don't know, but we know it worked answer. That's not science ,that's faith, but it has to be since nobody has a clue, yet that sure doesn't slow down the lies told to try and defend it.

We have the discovered the key to life, Aura
we know how life began...Sucking bone
life is simple chemistry.. Dude
and there are many more!

on and on ,nothing but lies. Why?

to defend the indefensible. That's why

Level 2

Location hidden

#102688 Oct 22, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
RiversideRedneck wrote:
There is no evidence that life can create itself. None.
<quoted text>
Flowers creating flowers?
O_o
That is not life from non-life, dude .....
He's had that pointed out a 100 times, but that's the only response he can muster. I mean what else can he say, there's no evidence.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Earth

#102689 Oct 22, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
RiversideRedneck wrote:

Sigh....
Well at least you answered.
Allow me to rephrase.
Assume that you believe Genesis is true, what logic would it serve for God to curse a snake to become a snake?
Because failing the IQ tests in the first chapter of the Book is a prerequisite to membership?
Priest

Tulsa, OK

#102690 Oct 22, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
He didn't curse a snake to become a snake. The Hebrew word for serpent is nachash. Nachash originally meant shining, upright creature. In the beginning the nachash had the ability to stand upright and converse with man, but was still a "beast of the field." When satan used it to tempt Eve, god damned it for imposing itself upon man, whom he had made to rule the earth and ALL it's creatures, and cursed it to crawl on it's belly. He took away it's ability to stand eye to eye with man. Therefore, the serpent (nachash) did become a snake.

“Evil Atheist :-)”

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#102691 Oct 22, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No. The answer is that it makes no logical sense, whether you believe the stories in Genesis or not.
Genesis calls it a serpent, then clearly God curses whatever it was into a snake.
It makes no sense whatsoever to curse something to be what it already is.
Imagine if God cursed you to be a human.... You'd be like "Oh gee, God. Damn, that sucks."
Of course the story makes no sense. That's why we're atheists.
But as it's supposed to make sense to you we need to use our imagination a bit.

So we need a snake that can be cursed, that is, changed somehow.
So if we give it legs to begin with like most reptiles, it can then loose them when cursed.
Problem solved!

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Earth

#102692 Oct 22, 2013
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
First it was not a blogger site, it was an Emmy award winning documentary. It describes perfectly the BELIEFS that inhabit this thread. What it is, is embarressing .The real reason you don't get any satisfactory replies is that there are none!
All that is said is buffoonery
1. Abiogenesis! I ask for an explanation of how it worked and might get the we don't know, but we know it worked answer. That's not science ,that's faith, but it has to be since nobody has a clue, yet that sure doesn't slow down the lies told to try and defend it.
We have the discovered the key to life, Aura
we know how life began...Sucking bone
life is simple chemistry.. Dude
and there are many more!
on and on ,nothing but lies. Why?
to defend the indefensible. That's why
Nope... when you do a text search, it is very difficult to find the Nova transcript you cite - yet that snippet you posted is overwhelmingly popular among the apologists sites - and stop the posture and lie dance, you aren't fooling anyone with your deceitful protestations. Those are >precisely< where you got it from, the same inane cesspits you gobble and regurgitate the stagnant swill you call "evidence" and "science" from.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
6 letter word ...change one letter game (Oct '08) 2 min SweLL GirL 33,353
5 Letter Word, Change 1 Letter (Oct '15) 3 min SweLL GirL 8,318
Change 1 letter game! (Nov '11) 4 min SweLL GirL 10,924
Denny Crain's Place (May '10) 11 min Area-51-Alert 23,992
Keep a Word.....Drop a Word Game (Sep '13) 20 min -Sprocket- 13,505
Word association (Jun '07) 24 min -Sprocket- 6,704
A to Z songs by title or group! (Dec '16) 46 min Zani Gray 2,130
Poll What are you thinking right now? (May '08) 1 hr Sharlene45 4,620
Which Poster Are You Thinking About Right Now? 2 hr Finny Ferret Got ... 11
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 3 hr Mister_ E 220,783