Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 199186 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#102631 Oct 22, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, toads and frogs eat slugs and snails. So do some birds.
Drat, I missed that question.

For birds, Limpkins eat snail, and Snail Kites make a specialty of them. Note the extreme hook on the bill - that's to make it easier to twist Apple Snails out of their shells.

http://robinsonlibrary.com/science/zoology/bi...

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#102632 Oct 22, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol.
I've asked this question a dozen times, never getting an answer.
What logic would it serve for God to curse a snake to become a snake?
What logic was it to kill the first born of Egypt rather than simply shoving a lightning bolt up Pharaoh's ass?

““You must not lose faith ”

Level 5

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#102633 Oct 22, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>I meant do they taste like snails...
i'll eat just about anything but junk food, and i was not too enamored with escargot...
Well that would be drowned snails in a butter and garlic mainly mix.
But the huge african slugs that almost look like sea-snails/slugs.
(I'll google later...gastropods resolves that one fine)and can be found on banana-plantations are just like eating nice meat.
Just throw it in a stew and you are bound to pick it out first.

But an honest answer to your question would have me involved in a double blind test tasting slugs and snails, both gastropods of the garden-variety.

Some quiet contemplation...

I'm almost ready to make the appeal: "but what about the kittens?"
For kittens reads slugs and snails.

HEY Macazumah.
Yep love periwinkles too.

Level 5

Location hidden

#102634 Oct 22, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>the lemons have turned yellow!!!finally...still a little ways to go before ripe. i actually have to tie up the branches to hold the lemons as the tree is still a wee little thing...
was the lemon tree there before my GF? no, i work too many hours in the summer to have live plants in the house, which is sad as i am a flower gardner by education and first career...
Ooh dear...gosh...yellow of all things!

You sound so surprised...i'm l.o.l.
It's like you expected them to at least turn blue or something exotic like that.
In my minds eye your lemontree Always had yellow lemons and it was a huge solid thing.

I recall asking you how you got that to fit in your frontroom.

Any plant or landscaping question Woodtick is your man!

But don't ask about pot-plants.
Well that's academical...those get eaten by gastropods.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#102635 Oct 22, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
There's no scientific evidence for God because man hasn't discovered how to scientifically test for Him.
Do you suppose that DNA didn't exist before man knew how to test for it?
You are still a moron. Did I say you needed scientific tests for the evidence of God?

If liars for Jesus or other such idiots claim that their invisible friend did something there would be physical evidence of that event.

If there was a global flood there would be evidence for it. There is none. All geology says that for well over a billion years, and perhaps never, has the entire Earth been covered with water.

Biology says that their was no worldwide reduction of all species to almost extinction level.

Those debunk that Genesis myths right there.

Level 5

Location hidden

#102636 Oct 22, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Drat, I missed that question.
For birds, Limpkins eat snail, and Snail Kites make a specialty of them. Note the extreme hook on the bill - that's to make it easier to twist Apple Snails out of their shells.
http://robinsonlibrary.com/science/zoology/bi...
Habitat loss.

But this here birdy has a nice hookbill...but that was the next question (though i'll Always wonder if gastropods can cannibalize)
how do toads and frogs deal with the snail-house?

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#102637 Oct 22, 2013
MAAT wrote:
<quoted text>
Ooh dear...gosh...yellow of all things!
You sound so surprised...i'm l.o.l.
It's like you expected them to at least turn blue or something exotic like that.
In my minds eye your lemontree Always had yellow lemons and it was a huge solid thing.
I recall asking you how you got that to fit in your frontroom.
Any plant or landscaping question Woodtick is your man!
But don't ask about pot-plants.
Well that's academical...those get eaten by gastropods.
i've been out of the landscape industry for twenty years now...just a recreational flower junkie now, i have met many people who never studied in the industry that know far, far more about it than i do...

it has taken over a year for the lemons to turn yellow after growing to full size, so yes, it is surprising, but i can see where that sounded funny...

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#102638 Oct 22, 2013
MAAT wrote:
<quoted text>
Habitat loss.
But this here birdy has a nice hookbill...but that was the next question (though i'll Always wonder if gastropods can cannibalize)
There are gastropods which eat other gastropods. As far as frogs and snail houses, shells and insect chitin are passed with waste.

Level 7

The Borderland of Sol

#102639 Oct 22, 2013
MAAT wrote:
<quoted text>
Well that would be drowned snails in a butter and garlic mainly mix.
But the huge african slugs that almost look like sea-snails/slugs.
(I'll google later...gastropods resolves that one fine)and can be found on banana-plantations are just like eating nice meat.
Just throw it in a stew and you are bound to pick it out first.
But an honest answer to your question would have me involved in a double blind test tasting slugs and snails, both gastropods of the garden-variety.
Some quiet contemplation...
I'm almost ready to make the appeal: "but what about the kittens?"
For kittens reads slugs and snails.
HEY Macazumah.
Yep love periwinkles too.
Heya, Maat.
Call me Mac - it's easier.
Hehehe.

By the way, where did you grow up? I didn't think periwinkles were popular in many places.
Priest

Tulsa, OK

#102640 Oct 22, 2013
I have a serious question for a christian.

Why is okay to believe the parts of the bible that suit you and discard those passages that you do not like? Shouldn't you follow the "word" completely, and not disobey when it suits you? How is it okay to pick and choose from "his" words?

"I permit no woman to teach or have authority over men; she is to keep silent." Timothy 2:11

"Whosoever putteth away his wife, and marrieth another, committeth adultery: and whosoever marrieth her that is put away from her husband committeth adultery." (Luke 16:18)

If in spite of this you still do not listen to me but continue to be hostile toward me, 28 then in my anger I will be hostile toward you, and I myself will punish you for your sins seven times over. 29 You will eat the flesh of your sons and the flesh of your daughters."(Leviticus 26:27-30)

"He that is wounded in the stones, or hath his privy member cut off, shall not enter into the congregation of the Lord."(Deuteronomy 23:1)
(If you have testicular cancer, god hates you.)

"But if she bear a maid child, then she shall be unclean two weeks, as in her separation: and she shall continue in the blood of her purifying threescore and six days." (Leviticus 12:5)
(god hates women)

So, you're just going to ignore these words from god?

The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#102641 Oct 22, 2013
SBT wrote:
Sorry, but Wiki is the most evolution biased source there is.
Are you kidding? In nearly every major evolution article they have there's remnants of references to creationist objections despite the fact that according to Wiki's own rules should not even be there, as they are supposed to go with whatever the scientific consensus is.

If you want 'biased towards evolution' you need to look at science websites. They tend to be biased towards reality.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#102642 Oct 22, 2013
SBT wrote:
<quoted text>
Austin's work on coal formation is included in the texts at Penn State after his PhD work there. He got his undergrad on work researching St.Helen's in the 60's before the 1980 eruption. His work in Grand Canyon limestone's is known world-wide. He knows the the difference. I have found WiKi biased to the extreme and proved so on this site. I do appreciate your looking over the video. Thanks, but I am no "liar for Jesus".
Of course you are. You're a creationist. It's not possible for a creationist to remain honest after a certain length of time. In all the years I've been here there's only ever been one honest creationist show up.

Remember your position is reality isn't real because Jews are magic. Which may even be so, but that just makes any discussion of scientific evidence superfluous. For you anyway.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#102643 Oct 22, 2013
Priest wrote:
I have a serious question for a christian.
Why is okay to believe the parts of the bible that suit you and discard those passages that you do not like? Shouldn't you follow the "word" completely, and not disobey when it suits you? How is it okay to pick and choose from "his" words?
"I permit no woman to teach or have authority over men; she is to keep silent." Timothy 2:11
"Whosoever putteth away his wife, and marrieth another, committeth adultery: and whosoever marrieth her that is put away from her husband committeth adultery." (Luke 16:18)
If in spite of this you still do not listen to me but continue to be hostile toward me, 28 then in my anger I will be hostile toward you, and I myself will punish you for your sins seven times over. 29 You will eat the flesh of your sons and the flesh of your daughters."(Leviticus 26:27-30)
"He that is wounded in the stones, or hath his privy member cut off, shall not enter into the congregation of the Lord."(Deuteronomy 23:1)
(If you have testicular cancer, god hates you.)
"But if she bear a maid child, then she shall be unclean two weeks, as in her separation: and she shall continue in the blood of her purifying threescore and six days." (Leviticus 12:5)
(god hates women)
So, you're just going to ignore these words from god?
this is why theology was invented, to rationalize away the ridiculous parts of these proven false stone-age myths...

Level 5

Location hidden

#102644 Oct 22, 2013
Igor Trip wrote:
<quoted text>
But suppose it had legs before it was cursed?
Snake with wings, sice we read about slithering on the belly but the very critter turned into a snake was first an owl (prior mss) turned into what would be a kind of flying lizard.
But we do not read about the shrinking wings!

It's those little pesky details when you can't but read literally.

In all likely hood it is about the starsign Draco mixed up.
Marduk coming to the land bringing apples from Denizovan turf.
Will they be bad for the land...will the cows give birth to three-headed calves. etc.
ADAM fertile land
Hava wide/all-inclusive birth.

Each word has a different meaning...more than one way to read it.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#102645 Oct 22, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Bullshit.
God has spoken to me, has touched me and I've witnessed His miracles firsthand.
Yep, He's a stallion in the sack. Impregnate you with the Holy Spirit before you even know it.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Millions of testimonials are out there for you to read, all with similar experiences.
It may only be anecdotal evidence, but it's still evidence.
You can't say the same for life creating itself.
Of course the same goes for all the testimonials to UFO's and alien abductions and stuff. Of course what happens then is that fundies call BS or even claim it as evidence of their own BS.(shrug)

Level 7

The Borderland of Sol

#102646 Oct 22, 2013
MAAT wrote:
<quoted text>
Habitat loss.
They swallow 'em whole. Got no teeth.

And yes, gastropds do sometimes cannibalize. In fact, they're on record as eating frogs...

The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#102647 Oct 22, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No shit, Sherlock.
Originally,'serpent' was 'nachash' in ancient Hebrew, which when you translate from Hebrew to English you get the word 'serpent'.
Now g'head. Pay yourself on the back for 'teaching' me something I already knew.
And yet apparently you still have no idea what a "serpent" is.

Notice how even accurate translations are useless (giving benefit of the doubt here of course) when you have absolutely positively no idea whatsoever what the original author was trying to say.

Oh and uh, that definition of 'serpent' you linked to, with all the 5 or 6 different meanings of the (English) word - you really think that each and every one of them also applies just as equally to the original Hebrew? Seriously? And if not, and you being our resident expert on ancient Hebrew (apparently) what kind of "serpent" did the original Hebrew word mean exactly?

Level 5

Location hidden

#102648 Oct 22, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Heya, Maat.
Call me Mac - it's easier.
Hehehe.
By the way, where did you grow up? I didn't think periwinkles were popular in many places.
Chromiuman just gave a briljant answer. prop!

I grew up near the shore in Holland.
It's nice to have a mum that does all the unwinkling though.
(Not too often though)
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#102649 Oct 22, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
There's no scientific evidence for God because man hasn't discovered how to scientifically test for Him.
Do you suppose that DNA didn't exist before man knew how to test for it?
Darn.

Oh well, that's your problem.(shrug)
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#102650 Oct 22, 2013
SBT wrote:
<quoted text>
No, actually i followed the main players into the field, did some self research and then went to college on the geology side. When the evo theories all fell apart there it confirmed to me who was miss leading who. My profs agreed in general to boot.
Ah, you were homeschooled.

And just for lulz:

http://www.oldearth.org/profiles/steve_austin...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 7 min Northbound 192,711
Crystal_Clears Kitchen (Refurbished) 8 min streetglidehoney 7,174
it's the color yellow 8 min Bezeer 74
one word (Apr '11) 9 min Bezeer 7,106
One Word (Jan '09) 10 min Bezeer 16,251
Word Association (Mar '10) 10 min Bezeer 20,385
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 16 min Northbound 56,755
What Turns You Off (Jun '11) 27 min ilovedesigirls 7,414
2words into 2new words (May '12) 59 min Sharlene45 2,157
More from around the web