Evolution vs. Creation

There are 163815 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

“Ditat Deus”

Level 1

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#102325 Oct 21, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>I have seen some of this evidence. It is real.
By the way, you may want to look into getting a better idea of circumstantial evidence. I don't think you know what that means either.
Circumstantial evidence is defined as evidence that relies on an inference to connect it to a conclusion of fact, like a fingerprint at the scene of a crime.

By contrast, direct evidence supports the truth of an assertion directly.

That there was a "common ancestor" is circumstantial evidence.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#102326 Oct 21, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I used your link to your 2nd favorite site, Wiki.
Under "List of habitable planet candidates" the only one that may be able to support life is Gliese 581 g.
That planet hasn't been confirmed to even exist, so how can you claim that it has life?
If you don't wanna play these word games, just tell me the f_cking planet you're talking about.
Moron, I did not use Wiki for that claim.

Go back and read my original claim again and try to think. If you smell smoke that is a good sign.

“Ditat Deus”

Level 1

Location hidden

#102327 Oct 21, 2013
replaytime wrote:

Science says life created itself.
With zero evidence of that.....

“Ditat Deus”

Level 1

Location hidden

#102328 Oct 21, 2013
davy wrote:
I gave you an answer and now you are changing the question. The talking snake in the bible, haven't you read it? How about some scientific evidence for a talking donkey?
Ya, you did give the answer. You just didn't read your own post very well.

The Bible says it was a talking serpent, not a snake. You own post of Genesis confirmed that.

You DO know that serpent doesn't always and only mean snake, right?

Level 9

Everett, WA

#102329 Oct 21, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe in creation through evolution.
All the evidence we have today suggests that life cannot create itself, therefore a creator is necessary.
I will answer you last claim first. You are wrong. There is plenty of evidence today that suggests life can rise naturally. There have been many creatard claims that have been proven wrong over the years. Would you care to be specific?

And what do you mean by "creation through evolution"? If you truly believe that then you believe in a common ancestor. And since you dispute a common ancestor it is fairly clear that you are lying.

Do you accept that we share a common ancestor with other apes? With other mammals? With other vertebrates? In other words do you draw an artificial line somewhere?

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#102330 Oct 21, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe in creation through evolution.
All the evidence we have today suggests that life cannot create itself, therefore a creator is necessary.
creation through evolution?!? that makes no sense...

all the evidence we have suggests there is no creator. all the creators created by religious cults have been proven false and there is not one teensy shred of evidence to suggest any god, gods or goddesses ever existed...

your cult lied to you...again...

“Ditat Deus”

Level 1

Location hidden

#102331 Oct 21, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Except I have evidence that my belief has evidence that shows it is possible. Still, I have no major disagreements with you if you believe that life evolved once that single cell existed.
I can assure you that those are not RR's beliefs.
Then you'd assuredly be wrong.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#102332 Oct 21, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Negative.
You offered no evidence of the common ancestor.
you offered evidence that postulates all life on earth is related in some way.
That is not evidence of the common ancestor.
Once again , you did not read the article I supplied. I gave evidence. It is not my fault if you are an idiot.

St. Croix valley

#102333 Oct 21, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Circumstantial evidence is defined as evidence that relies on an inference to connect it to a conclusion of fact, like a fingerprint at the scene of a crime.
a fingerprint at the scene of a crime inot circumstantial evidence, it is direct proof that that person was at that crime scene..

Logic is a foreign language to you, isn't it?
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#102334 Oct 21, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Dude you just won't admit you care what they say for the sake of mere argument. The last 17 threads that have recently been commented on, you are the last one to comment in 12 of them. You just run around to them all trying to pick at someone. LOL
Actually if you noticed a number of those posts weren't even attacking fundies. I just thought it would be fun to take over the last 24 hours worth of threads for a bit.(shrug)

Level 9

Everett, WA

#102335 Oct 21, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
And there is nothing wrong with circumstantial evidence. Most evidence is circumstantial. In fact circumstantial evidence is often much stronger than direct evidence. An "eye witness" can give direct evidence, and they have a much higher failure rate than forensic evidence which is almost totally circumstantial.

The reason that most circumstantial evidence is stronger than direct evidence is that bias can very easily enter into direct evidence.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#102336 Oct 21, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Then you'd assuredly be wrong.
If that is the case why do you dispute the concept of a common ancestor? You can't have it both ways. You are lying in one of these cases.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#102337 Oct 21, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
The Bible says it was a talking serpent, not a snake. You own post of Genesis confirmed that.
Who is being pedantic now?

“Ditat Deus”

Level 1

Location hidden

#102338 Oct 21, 2013
priest wrote:
Maybe there is a good reason to date christians after all!
http://youtu.be/zQ36S3d1C
Boy, atheists sure do spend a LOT of time on Jesus and Christianity...

lol
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#102339 Oct 21, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
God cursed it to be a snake.
What sense would it make to curse a snake to be a snake?
Why do you assume the Serpent was a lizard?
Because before it was a snake it had legs, and was described as a 'serpent'. Ergo it is not unreasonable to assume it was a reptilian species with legs, of the order Squamata.

But of course it could have been a deep-voiced wind instrument.(shrug)

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#102340 Oct 21, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
So, a talking SERPENT.

Yeah.

That's much more logical.
It all makes sense now.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#102341 Oct 21, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
With zero evidence of that.....
Repeating an error does not make it true.

There is evidence for abiogenesis. There is not enough evidence to lift it up above the level of hypothesis yet. In fact there have been thousands of successful experiments giving evidence for abiogenesis since the Miller, Urey experiment. Back at that time creatards were claiming that the building blocks of life, amino acids, could not form naturally. The Miller Urey experiment showed that they were wrong.

“Ditat Deus”

Level 1

Location hidden

#102342 Oct 21, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
I donít care what you asked or not, I can prove it so what you claim you know is irrelevant to fact, irrelevant to biology and irrelevant to physics. So basiclly nothing more that self delusion or lies
I know what you know, that air and ionizing radiation can be seen, which is why I said air and ionizing radiation can be seen.

“Ditat Deus”

Level 1

Location hidden

#102343 Oct 21, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
And this is a scientific site??? Get a grip!
http://www.earthage.org/EarthOldorYoung/scien...
That is a reputable site.

I said nothing in reference to linking only to scientific sites.

I'm not biased like y'all are.

St. Croix valley

#102344 Oct 21, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
any talking serpents in the real world? nope...not one..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
keep a word drop a word (Sep '12) 5 min _FLATLINE-------- 8,382
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 18 min eleanorigby 40,682
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 19 min Mr_FX 11,393
Create "short sentences using the last word" (Aug '12) 21 min Mr_FX 8,628
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 23 min Poop 162,835
Interesting Quotes (Jun '11) 53 min Phaerae 14,233
Things that make life eaiser... 1 hr Hoosier Hillbilly 592
*Sad music/sad themes Thread* 2 hr Wolftracks 175
News A head scratcher: 9 brains found next to train ... 3 hr Hoosier Hillbilly 7
Poll Middle East Solutions 3 hr Hoosier Hillbilly 26
More from around the web