Evolution vs. Creation

Full story: Best of New Orleans

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.
Comments
96,161 - 96,180 of 112,835 Comments Last updated 29 min ago

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2013

Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, it means "all powerful". Just being powerful is not good enough.
Just as your god is not all knowing. Or else he is monstrously evil.
the monstrously evil part is quite clear in the places this mythical god tells his followers to kill those that do not believe in him...

or the parts where this mythical god sends his children off to an eternity of his abandonment for not worshiping him correctly or not enough...a real prick of a monstrously evil myth, in fact...

“I have upset the hand of god”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

Threats pending

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2013

macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>No - now they're all talking jackasses and singing shrubbery.
The singing bush and then summon the invisible swordsman?

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2013

DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>The singing bush and then summon the invisible swordsman?
infamous...it means MORE than famous....

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2013

DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>The singing bush and then summon the invisible swordsman?
This made me think a bit. If you listed a mixture of silly myths, like a singing bush:

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Miraculous cures:

And mix them in with Biblical miracles and Biblical cures I wonder how many Christians could separate their nonsense from the other nonsense.

Level 9

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2013

I should have linked this one:

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
OMG I just gave you six definitions for serpent. Why are you being so obtuse?
The Wyrm Ouroboros.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2013

Judaism is not Christianity. I have no idea why you people keep going on about Judaism and pawning it off Christianity...Christianity is based on the teaching of the Christ.
Jesus reprimanded the Jews several times for their mis-guided ways such as stoning,using the church as a money institution etc.
Although, some of the Old Testament morals and traditions are still retained because they parallel the same standards that true Christians try to adhere to, such as the ten commandments.

Wikimedia: Christian views on the Old Covenant

Although Christianity affirms that the Pentateuch is part of Scripture that is inspired of God, Christian tradition, in this case similar to Jewish tradition, denies that all of the Old Covenant still applies directly to Christians, but different arguments are used to reach that conclusion and there are differences of opinion within Christianity as to which parts, if any, still apply. The predominant Christian view is that Jesus mediates a New Covenant relationship between God and his followers, according to the New Testament, which ended or set aside some or all of the Old Covenant.[4] Christianity, almost without exception, teaches that this New Covenant is the instrument through which God offers mercy and atonement to mankind.

Level 9

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2013

xxxooxxx wrote:
Judaism is not Christianity. I have no idea why you people keep going on about Judaism and pawning it off Christianity...Christianity is based on the teaching of the Christ.
Jesus reprimanded the Jews several times for their mis-guided ways such as stoning,using the church as a money institution etc.
Although, some of the Old Testament morals and traditions are still retained because they parallel the same standards that true Christians try to adhere to, such as the ten commandments.
Wikimedia: Christian views on the Old Covenant
Although Christianity affirms that the Pentateuch is part of Scripture that is inspired of God, Christian tradition, in this case similar to Jewish tradition, denies that all of the Old Covenant still applies directly to Christians, but different arguments are used to reach that conclusion and there are differences of opinion within Christianity as to which parts, if any, still apply. The predominant Christian view is that Jesus mediates a New Covenant relationship between God and his followers, according to the New Testament, which ended or set aside some or all of the Old Covenant.[4] Christianity, almost without exception, teaches that this New Covenant is the instrument through which God offers mercy and atonement to mankind.
There is mention of a "New Covenant" in the New Testament, but it is never defined. In fact Jesus himself said that all of the laws of the Old Testament were still to apply. Do you want me to quote the verse?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2013

Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
There is mention of a "New Covenant" in the New Testament, but it is never defined. In fact Jesus himself said that all of the laws of the Old Testament were still to apply. Do you want me to quote the verse?
Why? You have already stated that you do not believe any of what the bible says.

But yet, you are more than willing to offer up a quote by Jesus as a fact(?)

No. But you can quote me the verse where it says that even Jesus's disciples had a hard time understanding what he was trying to teach them.

Level 9

Threats pending

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2013

woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>infamous...it means MORE than famous....
Would you say I have a plethora of pinatas?

Level 9

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2013

xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Why? You have already stated that you do not believe any of what the bible says.
But yet, you are more than willing to offer up a quote by Jesus as a fact(?)
No. But you can quote me the verse where it says that even Jesus's disciples had a hard time understanding what he was trying to teach them.
I didn't say that I don't believe anything that the Bible says. It is obvious to all that there are countless errors in it. Still that does not mean it is all wrong. And if a Christian makes a foolish claim there is no reason that the Bible cannot be used against him.

And you need to read what I wrote again. I never mentioned the disciples. I said that Jesus said that ALL of the laws of the Old Testament still apply.

Don't you ever read your own Bible?

Level 9

Threats pending

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2013

Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
This made me think a bit. If you listed a mixture of silly myths, like a singing bush:
Miraculous cures:
And mix them in with Biblical miracles and Biblical cures I wonder how many Christians could separate their nonsense from the other nonsense.
If only the invisible swordsman had known about the zero gravity position and been wearing a magnetic bracelet, he may have lived.

People are still looking for miracles even today. I don't know that those that are desperate or easily taken in would be able to tease out the nonsense. You would probably have the fundamentalists out running around the country looking for singing bushes. That would be funny though.

Do you remember the Jimmy Swaggart prostitution scandal? At some point in that story, Swaggart apparently claimed he was chased around his house by demons. I know people that believe that deeply. They can't separate reality from fantasy when it comes to their beliefs.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2013

Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't say that I don't believe anything that the Bible says. It is obvious to all that there are countless errors in it. Still that does not mean it is all wrong. And if a Christian makes a foolish claim there is no reason that the Bible cannot be used against him.
And you need to read what I wrote again. I never mentioned the disciples. I said that Jesus said that ALL of the laws of the Old Testament still apply.
Don't you ever read your own Bible?
So your saying you believe some of the bible, but not all of it?

Level 9

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2013

DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>If only the invisible swordsman had known about the zero gravity position and been wearing a magnetic bracelet, he may have lived.
People are still looking for miracles even today. I don't know that those that are desperate or easily taken in would be able to tease out the nonsense. You would probably have the fundamentalists out running around the country looking for singing bushes. That would be funny though.
Do you remember the Jimmy Swaggart prostitution scandal? At some point in that story, Swaggart apparently claimed he was chased around his house by demons. I know people that believe that deeply. They can't separate reality from fantasy when it comes to their beliefs.
Well at least Ted Haggard is completely heterosexual now:

I just noted that the singer of this song has the same last name as Bob Dylan had at first.

Level 9

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2013

xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
So your saying you believe some of the bible, but not all of it?
Sure, I am not a fanatic.

I don't believe in any of the nonsense of the Bible.

For example we all know that there is a city called Tyre. Which never was destroyed as predicted by Ezekiel. It was attacked by Nebuchadnezzar, but he never defeated it. Nor did he even come close to defeating Egypt.

And even if I did not believe one word of it the Bible could still be used as a weapon against Christians when they get their own holy book wrong.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2013

Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure, I am not a fanatic.
I don't believe in any of the nonsense of the Bible.
For example we all know that there is a city called Tyre. Which never was destroyed as predicted by Ezekiel. It was attacked by Nebuchadnezzar, but he never defeated it. Nor did he even come close to defeating Egypt.
And even if I did not believe one word of it the Bible could still be used as a weapon against Christians when they get their own holy book wrong.
Actually I'm not trying to be contrary as it may seem...only trying to establish what parts of the bible you consider as true and the ones you consider not true for conversation sake.

Am I to take it that you believe all quotes by Jesus to be true since that was your point of reference?

Level 9

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2013

xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually I'm not trying to be contrary as it may seem...only trying to establish what parts of the bible you consider as true and the ones you consider not true for conversation sake.
Am I to take it that you believe all quotes by Jesus to be true since that was your point of reference?
Now you are being a fool.

How many times do I have to tell you that the Bible can be used against a Christian when he does not understand his own religion.

I have strong doubts about the veracity of the quotes of Jesus. Some of them may be true, some of them may be false. It does not matter.

Are you completely devoid of the ability to think logically?

“Good day to you!”

Level 2

Since: Oct 08

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2013

MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm aware of that recent snowfall in 2011. Snowfall in the Atacama is not unheard of and usually occurs in January or February. The fact that this happens and is *KNOWN* to happen in no way discounts Dr. Dunai's research that some dry riverbeds he has studied have had no water running through them in 100,000+ years. Even if those same riverbed were flood to the top in 2011, it does not refute his research done six years earlier.
In mountainous areas which this desert sits, streams, rivers, lakes and ponds are fed by three sources of water. Underground springs, snow melt and glacial melt.
This scientist claims certain streams and river beds haven't had water flowing in them for a hundred thousand years and more.
What this scientist failed to mention, is much of Peru and this desert area and the higher elevated areas surrounding it have suffered a few glacial ages in the last 100,000 years.
A glacial age leaves glaciers. The glaciers and heavy snowfall on nearby higher elevated areas would have fed those rivers, streams, lakes and ponds for months to maybe years till the heavy snow melt was gone and the glaciers disappeared.
He doesn't address those facts. The ENTIRE desert was covered in deep thick snow and ALL rivers and stream beds flowed as this snow melted yet that fact matters not to him. To him CERTAIN river and stream beds have some invisible force field that has kept them dry as he states it for over 100,000 years while the rest of the desert was subjected to snow and glacier melt runoff.
I looked for his explanation of this. He gave none. To him when glaciers and deep snow on other elevated areas were slowly melting during the warming up period of the end of that glacial age, he insinuates water run off purposefully avoided certain rivers and streams on this desert for 100,000 years. Makes sense to those wanting to believe that I suppose.

Level 9

Threats pending

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2013

Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Well at least Ted Haggard is completely heterosexual now:
I just noted that the singer of this song has the same last name as Bob Dylan had at first.
Thanks for posting that SZ. It is hilarious.

Haggard is completely heterosexual and Swaggart is way too heterosexual. Apparently there is a limit. No one ever told me.

Level 9

Threats pending

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2013

No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
In mountainous areas which this desert sits, streams, rivers, lakes and ponds are fed by three sources of water. Underground springs, snow melt and glacial melt.
This scientist claims certain streams and river beds haven't had water flowing in them for a hundred thousand years and more.
What this scientist failed to mention, is much of Peru and this desert area and the higher elevated areas surrounding it have suffered a few glacial ages in the last 100,000 years.
A glacial age leaves glaciers. The glaciers and heavy snowfall on nearby higher elevated areas would have fed those rivers, streams, lakes and ponds for months to maybe years till the heavy snow melt was gone and the glaciers disappeared.
He doesn't address those facts. The ENTIRE desert was covered in deep thick snow and ALL rivers and stream beds flowed as this snow melted yet that fact matters not to him. To him CERTAIN river and stream beds have some invisible force field that has kept them dry as he states it for over 100,000 years while the rest of the desert was subjected to snow and glacier melt runoff.
I looked for his explanation of this. He gave none. To him when glaciers and deep snow on other elevated areas were slowly melting during the warming up period of the end of that glacial age, he insinuates water run off purposefully avoided certain rivers and streams on this desert for 100,000 years. Makes sense to those wanting to believe that I suppose.
Where are you getting the information on snowfall and glaciation in the Atatama?

If the data that was found indicate that there was no water flowing in these river beds for as much as 100,000 years, why would there be need to address glaciation that isn't supplying water to the rivers? In other words, you are demanding DNA evidence when the killer confessed and there were eye witnesses and video footage. Not a perfect analogy but the point remains that if no evidence of water flow was found, why would you look for a source of water.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

96 Users are viewing the Weird Forum right now

Search the Weird Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 27 min TALLYHO 8541 34,947
How did you get over a broken heart? (Oct '09) 1 hr wichita-rick 264
Don't bet with " Wabbit" (Feb '12) 1 hr Wabbit 87
~Things YOU Love Game~ (Oct '12) 1 hr Enzo49 3,797
My Official Goodnight Thread (Mar '12) 2 hr Debra27 262
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 2 hr wichita-rick 141,322
Man run over by own truck during road rage 2 hr Marcavage s Emission 1
Car Dealer Gives Woman Refund - in Pennies 2 hr Marcavage s Emission 7
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 5 hr Petal Power 14,967