Evolution vs. Creation

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008. Full Story

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#101692 Oct 20, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>infamous...it means MORE than famous....
Hehehe.

Fist time I saw that movie, I hated it.

Doesn't half grow on you, though. Now It's a favourite.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Lakeland, FL

#101693 Oct 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
woodtick57 wrote:
the sun and moon were not made after the Earth...
<quoted text>
LMAO!
Good call.
Ole woody likes to make up 'facts' as he goes and pats himself on the back for his effort.
And the sun?

Level 8

Lakeland, FL

#101695 Oct 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know what bible you're talking about, but the Christian Bible doesn't say they were made "at the same time", as you've implied.
Genesis 1
"God made two great lights—the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars. God set them in the vault of the sky to give light on the earth, to govern the day and the night, and to separate light from darkness."
It clearly says He made them. It does not say at the sane time.
Again it seems your cult has lied to you.
Yet it does say AFTER the plants.

Level 8

Lakeland, FL

#101696 Oct 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You "know" that's not the way it happened?
How so?
It's called "evidence". You know, the stuff your god left for us to figure out.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#101697 Oct 20, 2013
xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Why? You have already stated that you do not believe any of what the bible says.
But yet, you are more than willing to offer up a quote by Jesus as a fact(?)
No. But you can quote me the verse where it says that even Jesus's disciples had a hard time understanding what he was trying to teach them.
Is it SOP that religious persons are allowed to quote any isolated fragment of the Bible as fact, yet all others are required just to listen? How is it that "this is what you state, yet this is what it says" (whether it be the Bible, the Constitution, or a textbook) is so often held as out of bounds by fundamentalists?

Since: Mar 11

Minnesota's North Coast

#101698 Oct 20, 2013
xxxooxxx wrote:
Judaism is not Christianity. I have no idea why you people keep going on about Judaism and pawning it off Christianity...Christianity is based on the teaching of the Christ.
Jesus reprimanded the Jews several times for their mis-guided ways such as stoning,using the church as a money institution etc.
Although, some of the Old Testament morals and traditions are still retained because they parallel the same standards that true Christians try to adhere to, such as the ten commandments.
Wikimedia: Christian views on the Old Covenant
Although Christianity affirms that the Pentateuch is part of Scripture that is inspired of God, Christian tradition, in this case similar to Jewish tradition, denies that all of the Old Covenant still applies directly to Christians, but different arguments are used to reach that conclusion and there are differences of opinion within Christianity as to which parts, if any, still apply. The predominant Christian view is that Jesus mediates a New Covenant relationship between God and his followers, according to the New Testament, which ended or set aside some or all of the Old Covenant.[4] Christianity, almost without exception, teaches that this New Covenant is the instrument through which God offers mercy and atonement to mankind.
so god changed its mind? or was he wrong the first time? either way, it brings up quite the conundrum for the infallible god(s) of your cult...

Level 8

Lakeland, FL

#101699 Oct 20, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
In mountainous areas which this desert sits, streams, rivers, lakes and ponds are fed by three sources of water. Underground springs, snow melt and glacial melt.
This scientist claims certain streams and river beds haven't had water flowing in them for a hundred thousand years and more.
What this scientist failed to mention, is much of Peru and this desert area and the higher elevated areas surrounding it have suffered a few glacial ages in the last 100,000 years.
A glacial age leaves glaciers. The glaciers and heavy snowfall on nearby higher elevated areas would have fed those rivers, streams, lakes and ponds for months to maybe years till the heavy snow melt was gone and the glaciers disappeared.
He doesn't address those facts. The ENTIRE desert was covered in deep thick snow and ALL rivers and stream beds flowed as this snow melted yet that fact matters not to him. To him CERTAIN river and stream beds have some invisible force field that has kept them dry as he states it for over 100,000 years while the rest of the desert was subjected to snow and glacier melt runoff.
I looked for his explanation of this. He gave none. To him when glaciers and deep snow on other elevated areas were slowly melting during the warming up period of the end of that glacial age, he insinuates water run off purposefully avoided certain rivers and streams on this desert for 100,000 years.
No references whatsoever, just a lot a yammering.

I've already given you Dr Dunai contact information including his telephone number. If you want to call him up and tell him he's full of shit, have at it. In the meantime, I'll take the research and conclusions of a distinguished scientists over a fundie fruitloop on the internet any day.
No Surprise wrote:
Makes sense to those wanting to believe that I suppose.
And makes no sense to someone who believes in nothing at all except a very old book of dubious origin.

Level 8

Lakeland, FL

#101700 Oct 20, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>Where are you getting the information on snowfall and glaciation in the Atatama?
Pulling it out of his ass, I imagine.

Level 8

Lakeland, FL

#101701 Oct 20, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
No I didn't. I said the earth has the potential to globally flood itself. I never stated exactly when, how or why it would happen. You assumed from what I said I meant others things I never said. So that's on you :)
I didn't assume a damn thing. You claimed the earth can do anything. That was your words. I didn't make this up. If you want to run away from your own statements rather than admit you overstated your case, fine with me.
No Surprise wrote:
The theory that the earth has enough water in the crust to be forced up to flood this planet well above it's highest peaks is in it's infancy of thought.
Hardly. The 'upwelling' is ancient stuff. Ever read the bible yourself?
No Surprise wrote:
There are no facts.
No facts? Don't care.
No Surprise wrote:
It's a theory that's growing in possibilities as more and more research is done about water in the earth's crust and how much may be there.
Consider this from the NG link about water in the crust and how much may 'possibly' be there that's not being accounted for.
But you're not defending the possibility of a flood. No, sir! Not you! I just *assume* you are.

Level 8

Lakeland, FL

#101703 Oct 20, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
And I did claim the earth can do anything it will...
Can the earth turn itself into rice pudding?

If not, why not?

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Earth

#101704 Oct 20, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't assume a damn thing. You claimed the earth can do anything. That was your words. I didn't make this up. If you want to run away from your own statements rather than admit you overstated your case, fine with me.
<quoted text>
Hardly. The 'upwelling' is ancient stuff. Ever read the bible yourself?
<quoted text>
No facts? Don't care.
<quoted text>
But you're not defending the possibility of a flood. No, sir! Not you! I just *assume* you are.
To be fair, didn't NS say the Earth can do what it will? From a/that superstitious mentality I take it to mean "wants to" rather than can do, will do or did. Anthropomorphism coincides with talking snakes, donkeys and creators of the universe.
Level 1

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#101705 Oct 20, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Both plants and minnows are ENORMOUSLY successful in reproduction, and maintaining species viability.
The very fact that plants and minnows HAVE been here for billions of years attests to that!
Yes but there is something to be said for not being lunch.
Level 1

Location hidden

#101706 Oct 20, 2013
Ukrules wrote:
<quoted text>
That's not actually true - from the Neanderthal genome project :
According to preliminary sequences, 99.7% of the base pairs of the modern human and Neanderthal genomes are identical
are you lying for jesus?
Fact is the mountains were not pushed up that high until after the flood.
Oceans were not that deep until after the flood.

The whole Earth was covered with the Flood waters, and the world that then existed was destroyed by the very waters out of which the Earth had originally emerged at God's command (Genesis 1:9; 2 Peter 3:5-6). But where did those waters go after the Flood?

There are a number of Scripture passages that identify the Flood waters with the present-day seas (Amos 9:6 and Job 38:8-11 note “waves”). If the waters are still here, why are the highest mountains not still covered with water, as they were in Noah's day? Psalm 104 suggests an answer. After the waters covered the mountains (verse 6), God rebuked them and they fled (verse 7); the mountains rose, the valleys sank down (verse 8) and God set a boundary so that they will never again cover the Earth (verse 9)[1]. They are the same waters!

Isaiah gives this same statement that the waters of Noah would never again cover the Earth (Isaiah 54:9). Clearly, what the Bible is telling us is that God acted to alter the Earth's topography. New continental landmasses bearing new mountain chains of folded rock strata were uplifted from below the globe-encircling waters that had eroded and leveled the pre-Flood topography, while large deep ocean basin were formed to receive and accommodate the Flood waters that then drained off the emerging continents.

That is why the oceans are so deep, and why there are folded mountain ranges. Indeed, if the entire Earth's surface were leveled by smoothing out the topography of not only the land surface but also the rock surface on the ocean floor, the waters of the ocean would cover the Earth's surface to a depth of 1.7 miles (2.7 kilometers). We need to remember that nearly 70 percent of the Earth's surface is still covered by water. Quite clearly, then, the waters of Noah's Flood are in today's ocean basins.
Level 1

Location hidden

#101707 Oct 20, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
The fact still remain that water is only 0.2% of Earths mass, even if the surface were flat the water would be 2,686 metres deep.
That's 1.669 miles a mile and 5/8s.
Everest is 8,848 m that's 5.49789 miles.
So you see your flood is a physical impossibility.
You forget the water below china is displacing matter like a sponge. You cant squeeze a sponge out and expect it to be more water in a bowl. You could possibly have a local flood this way, but the sponge will soak the water back up.

The whole Earth was covered with the Flood waters, and the world that then existed was destroyed by the very waters out of which the Earth had originally emerged at God's command (Genesis 1:9; 2 Peter 3:5-6). But where did those waters go after the Flood?

There are a number of Scripture passages that identify the Flood waters with the present-day seas (Amos 9:6 and Job 38:8-11 note “waves”). If the waters are still here, why are the highest mountains not still covered with water, as they were in Noah's day? Psalm 104 suggests an answer. After the waters covered the mountains (verse 6), God rebuked them and they fled (verse 7); the mountains rose, the valleys sank down (verse 8) and God set a boundary so that they will never again cover the Earth (verse 9)[1]. They are the same waters!

Isaiah gives this same statement that the waters of Noah would never again cover the Earth (Isaiah 54:9). Clearly, what the Bible is telling us is that God acted to alter the Earth's topography. New continental landmasses bearing new mountain chains of folded rock strata were uplifted from below the globe-encircling waters that had eroded and leveled the pre-Flood topography, while large deep ocean basin were formed to receive and accommodate the Flood waters that then drained off the emerging continents.

That is why the oceans are so deep, and why there are folded mountain ranges. Indeed, if the entire Earth's surface were leveled by smoothing out the topography of not only the land surface but also the rock surface on the ocean floor, the waters of the ocean would cover the Earth's surface to a depth of 1.7 miles (2.7 kilometers). We need to remember that nearly 70 percent of the Earth's surface is still covered by water. Quite clearly, then, the waters of Noah's Flood are in today's ocean basins.

Level 8

Lakeland, FL

#101708 Oct 20, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
To be fair, didn't NS say the Earth can do what it will? From a/that superstitious mentality I take it to mean "wants to" rather than can do, will do or did. Anthropomorphism coincides with talking snakes, donkeys and creators of the universe.
Perhaps. As soon he demonstrates that the earth has free will.

“My Bad! Just hold me. ”

Level 9

Since: Aug 07

Orion's Belt

#101709 Oct 20, 2013
There are no absolutes

Level 8

Lakeland, FL

#101710 Oct 20, 2013
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
Evidence?

Oh, that's right. You have none.

{snip of unnecessary bullshit}

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#101711 Oct 20, 2013
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
Mt. Everest, was formed about 60 million years ago, are you saying the flood happened then? Because Noah wasn't even a thought of a squirt in his daddy's mind for another 59,995,000 years later.
So quit wearing that dunce hat, um doofus.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Earth

#101712 Oct 20, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Evidence?
Fact is, the >indisputable evidence< is that fundamentalists are imbeciles. If Da Flud was a catastrophe, what would the simultaneous and overnight upheaval of every mountain chain on Earth be, a geological quirkiness?
Level 1

Location hidden

#101713 Oct 20, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Evidence?
The Bible is evidence, could you be confusing evidence with proof again?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 10 min Kevin 28,513
Things that should NOT be yellow.... 14 min LOL 35
Word Association. (Nov '10) 14 min Mega Monster 16,918
For Dear FlowerChild (Dec '07) 15 min Ricky F 24,203
Word Association (Mar '10) 15 min Mega Monster 16,370
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 16 min Mega Monster 8,689
Last Post Wins! (Aug '08) 20 min Jeffrey 138,795
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 25 min Harrison Freebird 38,418
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 37 min Crazy Beautiful 155,192
'Po Pimp' homework assignment angers parents 44 min Sublime1 3
"man" words 48 min Enzo49 187
More from around the web