Evolution vs. Creation

Full story: Best of New Orleans

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Comments (Page 4,779)

Showing posts 95,561 - 95,580 of105,891
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2013

Judged:

replaytime wrote:
I don't know what you believe and really what ever you do is your choice. Myself I believe in evolution, change over periods of time. I also believe God or a high form started life for I do not believe in abiogenesis. The evolutionists always say that abiogenesis has nothing to do with evolution but they step on their own asss showing that if you don't believe in evolution AND abiogenesis then you are just a creationist/creatard.
That's not us stepping on our azz, that's you rejecting the theory of gravity.

Oh, and your baseless beliefs are STILL irrelevant.
replaytime wrote:
They hate any God in everyway and will do what it takes to rule one out. They cannot even except that while some people believe in evolution, they believe in God as well. In their minds that is not expectable.
Wrong. Ken Miller and Francis Collins for example. Both evolutionary biologists, both theists.
replaytime wrote:
Either you swallow the abiogenesis with evolution or you don't matter.
No, it is accepted that abiogenesis is a hypothesis. However there are no other scientific alternatives which have been presented.

Oh, and IF there's an all-powerful universe-creating wizard who IS responsible for life on Earth, who's to say it did not or could not use abiogenesis?

Creationists like you. Apparently.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2013

Judged:

ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Au contraire, evidence please?
You're wasting your time. Chuck is not on planet Earth.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2013

Judged:

No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually by the process of evolution and how it's proven to have worked, people as yourself are content to believe that evolution allowed animal species to evolve naturally and by some bit of magic caused a defect as you call it to allow one specie to accelerate over all others in thinking capacity. That's your magical theory because you can't explain why the process of evolution didn't allow for the same defect to happen to gorillas and or chimps or some other past primate group that lived for example. Our single specie went beyond being hunters and gatherers to what we are today and you have no explanation for why this defect didn't emerge before except to state it didn't happen.
We are only one of the exiting members of the genus of great apes. There were many before us and there may come others after us. But to suggest we are the only one to advance is incorrect. There were many who came before us. They either became extinct, evolved or were absorbed by other populations. Homo sapiens neanderthalensis is a good example.

Level 8

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2013

Judged:

No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
Logic
Definition of logic (n)
Bing Dictionary
log·ic[ lójjik ]
theory of reasoning: the branch of philosophy that deals with the theory of deductive and inductive arguments and aims to distinguish good from bad reasoning
We exist. That's fact, not logic.
In a universe billions of years old so far as we know due to exploring the universe with things as telescopes and other devices, we know so far we are the only planet with life as it exists here. That's fact, not logic.

So far as we know. Which is damn little.

[QUOTE who="No Surprise"]Logic states if the universe hasn't created obvious life elsewhere in the universe that we have knowledge of in billions of years, logic states by those facts we actually shouldn't exist even if we do. Understand? As a gambler would state it, the odds are overwhelmingly against our existence even as we exist.
Obvious life? Are kidding? Do you have even the faintest notion of the scale of the universe? The time it takes for any signal to cross the vast distances involved? Radio communications have only been possible for about 120 years. An instant of time.

I suppose you expect some folks on Planet X to erect huge space billboards saying "HI!" I guess that would be obvious.
No Surprise wrote:
We're a fluke, a glitch, an abnormality, an extreme too rare to mention oddity of the natural process of the universe that factually doesn't create life to our knowledge elsewhere in billions of years.
I'm forwarding your name to the Nobel Committee since you have conclusively proven that we are the only life in the universe. Imagine their surprise when they hear of this.

Level 8

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2013

Judged:

No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
I did state that. I haven't walked away from the statement. You're delusional in stating I have walked away from that statement.
Scientists claim now the earth will become a ball of magma as it was in it's infancy when at it's end. Can you prove it? Is there evidence for it? No. Just theories. Those same scientists believe the earth is capable of what there isn't evidence for. Just saying :)
Those same scientists do not think the earth is capable of anything. They leave that goofy thinking to nutcases like you.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2013

Judged:

replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
For ages, scientists assumed that the gyroscopic effect (the force that keeps a spinning top from falling over) was the key for a bike's balance. In the '70s, science disproved that theory.
yet one can balance on a bike that is not moving at all, so there is no gyroscopic effect at all and none of your silly other crap, just the human balancing it...

Level 8

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2013

Judged:

No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
I did. It can. Why do you doubt it?
Because it's stupid.
No Surprise wrote:
If a large enough asteroid/meteor hit's the sun in the right spot and forces it out of place a wee bit toward us, we'll be an inferno in a single rotation.
And so is this. That is not an example of the earth doing "anything". It's simply an example of the earth getting toasted.

BTW, have your ever calculated the size and composition said asteroid would have to be?
No Surprise wrote:
Anything is possible.
As my friend, Chip Todd is fond of saying: "Anything is possible when you don't know what you're talking about."
No Surprise wrote:
You seem not to believe that to an extreme position but to each their own opinion.
Opinions? Yes, like assholes.{hint, hint}

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2013

Judged:

replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Again if you lit a torch you may not be able to see the light actually move but you would see were it reached out to, thus it had to move out because those things did not move closer to the light. You keep falling lower down the pole of nonsense.
yet, as i clearly stated, f you want to prove it or measure it, you would have to use the scientific method...

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2013

Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> On the contrary! Instead many people, gods and goddesses have all died, leaving behind the almighty God.
in fact, the god you worship has been proven to be a false myth.

you worship a proven false idol, Chazzie!

your cult lied to you...again...

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2013

Judged:

No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
I took the following from a site as it said it better than I could but also stated my own thoughts concerning the issue.
http://www.allaboutscience.org/evolution-of-t...
As with other complex biological features, scientists explain the evolution of the human brain through natural selection....
Scientists explain the apparent change and diversity of most biological systems through naturalistic evolution. The generally accepted theory is that small, random changes in an organism sometimes provide an advantage....
The response used by scientists to explain the evolution of the human brain involves a "fast evolution" scheme.....
Scientists have experienced problems when applying the normal methods of evolution to the human brain. Paleontologists and neurologists have noted that there is little to no notable difference between the brains of modern humans and so-called Neanderthals, other than a slight change in size. Given the supposedly significant differences in intelligence, social structure, and physical features, this seems strange. Those studying this field admit as much. The coordination required between the brain and the body is another. The development of the human brain is one of the biggest unsolved mysteries for evolution....
I disagree that it can be explained. I agree what we examine can be explained in theory. But explaining why modern humans took off like a rocket shot off concerning the evolution of their thinking process, it remains an unknown with a lot of theories.
No wonder you don't know jack shite about logic and science.
Your "science" source states, "We believe that the authoritative and primary source of (that) truth is the Bible as illuminated by the power of the Holy Spirit." It states that "The Bible is the inerrant, inspired Word of God - a supernaturally integrated set of 66 books, written by 40 authors, over nearly 2,000 years.
God created all things - from the massive cosmos to the microscopic cell. We were created in God's image, yet we were all corrupted and estranged from God after Adam fell into sin. The sin of Adam was the entry point of all sin, as well as physical and spiritual death on Earth."

Can you say, "Allaboutconfirmationbias "?

Level 8

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2013

Judged:

No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
I was using your logic, don't like it? Using the same logic you use to state a global flood never happened, that missing evidence proves it never happened, I used the same logic by present evidence of what doesn't exist to prove what science has established. We have found no other life on any other planet as our own. Therefore according to your logic, what doesn't exist can't never have existed. That's why your logic affirms there is no evidence for life as our own on other planets therefore missing evidence is your proof it can't exist. That's your logic back at you. Don't like it? Change your opinion than.
Hilarious! As I said, you're not good at logic.

Or reading comprehension for that matter.

So, explain how the evidence shows that some river beds in the Atacama Desert have been dry for more than 100,000 years is not evidence against a global flood.

Level 8

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2013

Judged:

TerryL wrote:
<quoted text>Wow.... I actually feel embarrassed for you.
Somebody should.

Level 8

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2013

Judged:

No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
The mirror image of how you respond. You needed to ask? lol.
Which statement did you make that you wished for me to assume it was one that I was to have an answer for? Still waiting? Hmm?:)
I just did, humjob.

Level 8

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2013

Judged:

No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
What's humorous is how you get all pissy faced like a little child when someone calls you on your ideology that you believe some invisible intelligence the rest of us have no connection to, tells you what the earth's potentials are for causing havoc and what it's potentials aren't. You're nothing but another name for a creationist as you also believe in an invisible intelligence that give you knowledge no one else knows. Nice job as usual.
Funny that you try to insult me by calling me a creationist.

You're in over your head. Give it up.

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2013

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
No wonder you don't know jack shite about logic and science.
Your "science" source states, "We believe that the authoritative and primary source of (that) truth is the Bible as illuminated by the power of the Holy Spirit." It states that "The Bible is the inerrant, inspired Word of God - a supernaturally integrated set of 66 books, written by 40 authors, over nearly 2,000 years.
God created all things - from the massive cosmos to the microscopic cell. We were created in God's image, yet we were all corrupted and estranged from God after Adam fell into sin. The sin of Adam was the entry point of all sin, as well as physical and spiritual death on Earth."
Can you say, "Allaboutconfirmationbias "?
kind of flies in the face of the BS about his/her beliefs not surpised has been tossing out, huh?

Level 8

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2013

Judged:

replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Scientists have been puzzling over what makes bicycles balance since they were invented, back in the 19th century. In 2007, a group of engineers and mathematicians led by Nottingham University's J.P. Meijaard announced they'd finally cracked the mystery with a set of incredibly complex mathematical equations that explain how a bicycle behaves—and it turns out that gyroscopes are only part of the story. But yet science is still puzzled on completely how a bicycle works.
http://www.explainthatstuff.com/bicycles.html
Which says: "Since each wheel has around 30–40 spokes, each spoke has to support only a fraction of the total weight—in this case, less than 1kg (2.2 lb), which it can do easily."

Nope. The weight is not evenly distributed around the spokes of a *circular" wheel.

As Mr. Woodford says elsewhere on the site: "I try my best to get things right, but I do sometimes make mistakes."

Agreed.

Level 8

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2013

Judged:

woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>Gee, i'm crushed that a guy who can't figure out it is the rider that balances a bike thinks poorly of me...
and one who actually gives any credence at all to such whackjob ideas as those sites you liked to...
Well of course it's all the gyroscope effect! That why we can sit our little kids on a bike, shove them down a hill and they don't fall over.

Wait a sec... That's not quite right.

Level 8

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2013

Judged:

Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? I don't know of any scientists that made that assumption. Do you have any evidence that supports that claim?
Here's another thing from Mr. Woodford:
"Spokes also reduce the air resistance on the front wheel when you're cornering."

I'd like to know where he got that from. Aside from the rider, the spokes are a major cause of aerodynamic drag.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2013

Judged:

The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Not believing BS is NOT an extreme position. You don't seem to realise what you're claiming. You could throw an object the size of Jupiter at the sun and the sun would happily gobble it up and we wouldn't feel a thing. Now, if another star or large enough black hole happens to swing by our sun that that would be different...
With an AU of 150 million kilometers and containing 98+% of the mass in the solar system, I don't lose sleep wondering when Sol might capture a comet or two.
A mass the size of Jupiter might cause a woefully insignificant but mathematically measurable affect on the sun's position, but that would be a minuscule consequence compared to 2x10^27 kg of mass transiting through the asteroid belt and across planetary orbits. To be fair, I suppose there might be some concern about the possibility of an electromagnetic belch. It's "No Surprise" that s/he isn't versed enough in science to try to save the argument with a solar eruption. What do you think the odds are s/he thinks the seasons are caused by "The Earth is farther away in winter"?

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2013

Judged:

MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Well of course it's all the gyroscope effect! That why we can sit our little kids on a bike, shove them down a hill and they don't fall over.
Wait a sec... That's not quite right.
in all the years that i have taught people to ski and snowboard, one of the first things i tell them is to relax and stay loose because a statue cannot ski or ride without falling over.

lets all think about how long a bicycle would stay balanced with a statue riding it...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 95,561 - 95,580 of105,891
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

153 Users are viewing the Weird Forum right now

Search the Weird Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 6 min Princess Hey 11,605
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 6 min honeymylove 131,510
Songs with the Word "Love" in the Title (Nov '11) 8 min night machine 198
I Got 6 words for ya... (Aug '10) 12 min Princess Hey 775
+=Keep 1 Drop 1=+ 3 STACK (Mar '13) 13 min night machine 5,115
Alphabetical ways to die (Jul '11) 15 min greymouser 10,231
***Keep a Word~Drop a Word*** (Jan '10) 17 min Princess Hey 74,366
BAN(N) the P0STER Above you !!! 30 min greymouser 820
clark county nevada rancher facing tyranny from... 1 hr Harrison Freebird 199