Evolution vs. Creation

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008. Full Story

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#100962 Oct 11, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
The mirror image of how you respond. You needed to ask? lol.
Which statement did you make that you wished for me to assume it was one that I was to have an answer for? Still waiting? Hmm?:)
I just did, humjob.

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#100963 Oct 11, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
What's humorous is how you get all pissy faced like a little child when someone calls you on your ideology that you believe some invisible intelligence the rest of us have no connection to, tells you what the earth's potentials are for causing havoc and what it's potentials aren't. You're nothing but another name for a creationist as you also believe in an invisible intelligence that give you knowledge no one else knows. Nice job as usual.
Funny that you try to insult me by calling me a creationist.

You're in over your head. Give it up.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#100964 Oct 11, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
No wonder you don't know jack shite about logic and science.
Your "science" source states, "We believe that the authoritative and primary source of (that) truth is the Bible as illuminated by the power of the Holy Spirit." It states that "The Bible is the inerrant, inspired Word of God - a supernaturally integrated set of 66 books, written by 40 authors, over nearly 2,000 years.
God created all things - from the massive cosmos to the microscopic cell. We were created in God's image, yet we were all corrupted and estranged from God after Adam fell into sin. The sin of Adam was the entry point of all sin, as well as physical and spiritual death on Earth."
Can you say, "Allaboutconfirmationbias "?
kind of flies in the face of the BS about his/her beliefs not surpised has been tossing out, huh?

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#100965 Oct 11, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Scientists have been puzzling over what makes bicycles balance since they were invented, back in the 19th century. In 2007, a group of engineers and mathematicians led by Nottingham University's J.P. Meijaard announced they'd finally cracked the mystery with a set of incredibly complex mathematical equations that explain how a bicycle behaves—and it turns out that gyroscopes are only part of the story. But yet science is still puzzled on completely how a bicycle works.
http://www.explainthatstuff.com/bicycles.html
Which says: "Since each wheel has around 30–40 spokes, each spoke has to support only a fraction of the total weight—in this case, less than 1kg (2.2 lb), which it can do easily."

Nope. The weight is not evenly distributed around the spokes of a *circular" wheel.

As Mr. Woodford says elsewhere on the site: "I try my best to get things right, but I do sometimes make mistakes."

Agreed.

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#100966 Oct 11, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>Gee, i'm crushed that a guy who can't figure out it is the rider that balances a bike thinks poorly of me...
and one who actually gives any credence at all to such whackjob ideas as those sites you liked to...
Well of course it's all the gyroscope effect! That why we can sit our little kids on a bike, shove them down a hill and they don't fall over.

Wait a sec... That's not quite right.

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#100967 Oct 11, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? I don't know of any scientists that made that assumption. Do you have any evidence that supports that claim?
Here's another thing from Mr. Woodford:
"Spokes also reduce the air resistance on the front wheel when you're cornering."

I'd like to know where he got that from. Aside from the rider, the spokes are a major cause of aerodynamic drag.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#100968 Oct 11, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Not believing BS is NOT an extreme position. You don't seem to realise what you're claiming. You could throw an object the size of Jupiter at the sun and the sun would happily gobble it up and we wouldn't feel a thing. Now, if another star or large enough black hole happens to swing by our sun that that would be different...
With an AU of 150 million kilometers and containing 98+% of the mass in the solar system, I don't lose sleep wondering when Sol might capture a comet or two.
A mass the size of Jupiter might cause a woefully insignificant but mathematically measurable affect on the sun's position, but that would be a minuscule consequence compared to 2x10^27 kg of mass transiting through the asteroid belt and across planetary orbits. To be fair, I suppose there might be some concern about the possibility of an electromagnetic belch. It's "No Surprise" that s/he isn't versed enough in science to try to save the argument with a solar eruption. What do you think the odds are s/he thinks the seasons are caused by "The Earth is farther away in winter"?

St. Croix valley

#100969 Oct 11, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Well of course it's all the gyroscope effect! That why we can sit our little kids on a bike, shove them down a hill and they don't fall over.
Wait a sec... That's not quite right.
in all the years that i have taught people to ski and snowboard, one of the first things i tell them is to relax and stay loose because a statue cannot ski or ride without falling over.

lets all think about how long a bicycle would stay balanced with a statue riding it...

St. Croix valley

#100970 Oct 11, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
With an AU of 150 million kilometers and containing 98+% of the mass in the solar system, I don't lose sleep wondering when Sol might capture a comet or two.
A mass the size of Jupiter might cause a woefully insignificant but mathematically measurable affect on the sun's position, but that would be a minuscule consequence compared to 2x10^27 kg of mass transiting through the asteroid belt and across planetary orbits. To be fair, I suppose there might be some concern about the possibility of an electromagnetic belch. It's "No Surprise" that s/he isn't versed enough in science to try to save the argument with a solar eruption. What do you think the odds are s/he thinks the seasons are caused by "The Earth is farther away in winter"?
you would not believe how many people think i am off my gourd when i tell them that in the northern hemishpere we are actually closer to the sun during winter...

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#100971 Oct 11, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>you would not believe how many people think i am off my gourd when i tell them that in the northern hemishpere we are actually closer to the sun during winter...
What? Now that's just crazy talk. Next thing I hear from you will probably be some sort of crazy claim like Australia is going into its summer.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#100972 Oct 11, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's another thing from Mr. Woodford:
"Spokes also reduce the air resistance on the front wheel when you're cornering."
I'd like to know where he got that from. Aside from the rider, the spokes are a major cause of aerodynamic drag.
And I have yet to see him admit that he is wrong in any way at all.

I have seen many people try to argue against the fact that bicycles are balanced by counter steering. The fact is that a moving bicycle is almost infinitely easier to keep uprignt than a stationary bike. And like it or not to turn left you always turn right first.

St. Croix valley

#100973 Oct 11, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
What? Now that's just crazy talk. Next thing I hear from you will probably be some sort of crazy claim like Australia is going into its summer.
did you know it cannot rain in Australia as rain falls down...?

St. Croix valley

#100974 Oct 11, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
it will be summer in Australia soon because an asteroid (which are made of ice...) slammed into the sun so it is closer to the Earth in that part of our orbit...

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#100975 Oct 11, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
And I have yet to see him admit that he is wrong in any way at all.
I have seen many people try to argue against the fact that bicycles are balanced by counter steering. The fact is that a moving bicycle is almost infinitely easier to keep uprignt than a stationary bike.
No doubt. The rotating wheels do play a part.
Subduction Zone wrote:
And like it or not to turn left you always turn right first.
How so?

St. Croix valley

#100976 Oct 11, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
No doubt. The rotating wheels do play a part.
<quoted text>
How so?
yeah, i'm not sure about that one either. if you have enough speed, can't you just lean left (or right) and balance against your inertia or centrifugal or centripetal force or whatever?

Level 9

Everett, WA

#100977 Oct 11, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>did you know it cannot rain in Australia as rain falls down...?
Tru fact dat.

That is why the Outback is so dry.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#100978 Oct 11, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>yeah, i'm not sure about that one either. if you have enough speed, can't you just lean left (or right) and balance against your inertia or centrifugal or centripetal force or whatever?
To get yourself to lean left you turn the bike to the right. It is so ingrained in the rider that a turn is started with a turn in the opposite direction that people don't even realize that they do it. If you don't trust me try it yourself someday. Countersteering is how a bike keeps its balance and how turns are started.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#100979 Oct 11, 2013
Ahh, Wikipedia even has an article on countersteering:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Countersteering

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#100981 Oct 11, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
To get yourself to lean left you turn the bike to the right. It is so ingrained in the rider that a turn is started with a turn in the opposite direction that people don't even realize that they do it. If you don't trust me try it yourself someday. Countersteering is how a bike keeps its balance and how turns are started.
Must be different on a motorcycle. I'll have to try it.

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#100982 Oct 11, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? It was a hypothesis, a pretend scenario for the sake of an argument and nothing more. And you took it seriously? You should feel really embarrassed for yourself, not me.
It was droolingly moronic... and THAT is being overly kind. The only thing that "hypothesis" (completely wrong term for what you posted) is an argument for is why a lack of education and critical thinking skills are so attractive/vital to religion.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
only TWO words! (Nov '08) 9 min Judy 123 25,609
MY... 6 ... WORDS for the day.... (Apr '09) 11 min Enzo49 1,139
Post "any three words" (Sep '12) 12 min 75 Scorpio 1,132
Change 1 letter game! (Nov '11) 19 min Crystal_Clear722 3,028
Paws by Claus: Santa delivers for animal shelter 26 min Bob 2
Name something you shouldn't do naked .... (Mar '14) 34 min Crystal_Clear722 330
Woman Switches Seats on Plane, Spends 3 Days in... 39 min Bubbletoes 10
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 42 min Enzo49 25,855
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 44 min TALLYHO 8541 37,762
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 1 hr stray-cat 152,790
BAN(N) the P0STER Above you !!! (Feb '14) 7 hr Chilli J 3,014
More from around the web