Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 219597 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

“e pluribus unum”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

primus inter pares

#100413 Oct 3, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
I did the approximate maths some years ago.
It went something like this.
Subtract the volume of a sphere the diameter of earth from the volume of a sphere the diameter of earth plus 18km. Twice the height of Everest (give or take).
1087803985034 cubic km minus 1083206916846 cubic km = 4597068188 cubic km
Subtract and arbitrary amount (say 1/3) of the result from the result to account for hills/mountains, land mass above sea level.
4597068188 – 1532356062 = 3064712126 cubic km of water
that’s
306471212600000000000000000000 0 litres which is a close approximation of the water needed to cover the surface of the earth to above the depth of the highest mountain.
Now consider that less than 25% of the world is covered with water to an average depth of 800 metres. With the rivers, lakes, aquifers etc that’s about
1482000000000000000000 litres
There are a lot of zeros unaccounted for in the babble
Put another way in perspective, water is 0.02% of Earths mass. It only seems to be alot because it's all on the surface, but it's really kinda rare, here even though there is massive amounts in the universe. Ours came from comets, those icy rocks in space.

“Good day to you!”

Level 2

Since: Oct 08

Earth

#100414 Oct 3, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you have dog ship for brains?
It's no personal opinion, it is a physical reality that the flood myth is impossible.
You may as well speak of the hollow Earth theory, because you traverse a mountain of stupid to arrive at the decision there was a global flood.
It's a mountain of stupid you stand upon when you use the word 'impossible' and determine what can't take place concerning this earth. You do have dog ship for brains and you stand with all those who in the past claimed it was impossible that the earth was anything but flat, that all life needed the sunlight etc. Nice job there :)

“Good day to you!”

Level 2

Earth

#100415 Oct 3, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
In the earth on every continent is a layer of iridium that was laid down by the Asteroid that created the Chicxulub crater off the coast of Yucatan. This crater is 65 million years old and is considered to be one of the chief reason the giant dinosaurs became extinct.
As I stated that you side stepped addressing. Iridium wasn't known to exist in a geological layer till someone found it and identified it. People can suppose they know what to look for concerning a global flood. That doesn't mean their correct. The scablands were flooded and evidence was there but no one saw it till someone understood what they were looking for. Science is based on possibilities, not impossibilities.

“e pluribus unum”

Level 8

primus inter pares

#100416 Oct 3, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a mountain of stupid you stand upon when you use the word 'impossible' and determine what can't take place concerning this earth. You do have dog ship for brains and you stand with all those who in the past claimed it was impossible that the earth was anything but flat, that all life needed the sunlight etc. Nice job there :)
No it is not, the flood happening covering all the mountains. Is a physical impossibility, to think it could have... takes an uneducated idiot who believes any religious hogwash they read.

“Good day to you!”

Level 2

Earth

#100417 Oct 3, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
We ahve extremely strong evidence that a flood never took place.
You clearly have no idea what is and what is not evidence.
For example the lack of worldwide genetic bottlenecks is extremely strong evidence against the flood.
I know what evidence is and I know what evidence isn't that isn't available to be used as proof against something that can't be proved to have happened.
The global flood is a myth. The time line for the myth has problems. So with those problems neither pro or con can accurately set forth a probable theory based on reasonable evidence to prove for or against it.
And bottlenecks have happened. Maybe you should Google the words you used. Since we have no precise data for when this myth actually took place, you can't use bottleneck data for or against the theory.

“e pluribus unum”

Level 8

primus inter pares

#100418 Oct 3, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
As I stated that you side stepped addressing. Iridium wasn't known to exist in a geological layer till someone found it and identified it. People can suppose they know what to look for concerning a global flood. That doesn't mean their correct. The scablands were flooded and evidence was there but no one saw it till someone understood what they were looking for. Science is based on possibilities, not impossibilities.

A flood layer is one of the easiest ones to spot, you have a jumbled up layer with broken pieces of everything entrenched in mud and silt.
With a global flood you would expect to find a mixture of land and sea creatures mixed in with broken pieces of everything. Also with something of this magnitude it would be a large layer.
There is no such layer that exists in the same place in the rock column. End of story.

“Ask Randy From Ballwin”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

He Is A Sock Know It All

#100419 Oct 3, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> No it is not, the flood happening covering all the mountains. Is a physical impossibility, to think it could have... takes an uneducated idiot who believes any religious hogwash they read.
I know I am going to step on my own @ss here but hey, I don't care. For all we know these stories of a flood and such could have been around for 100's of thousands of years back when man/pre-man did not/could not write or kept track of days or years but yet passed on the stories down through the generations until they eventually learned to write and such. So when they learned to write and keep dates they may have been off by many years. None of us know or will ever know and if any one says the do for sure, they are liars, point blank period. Science is a good tool and has helped us in may ways but science itself is not free from fault. Back when Mt. St. Helens blew science dated a rock from that eruption at or over 150,000 years old. Nothing is perfect, not even science. So what I am saying is if we were not there we will never know and if you think science is perfect, you are a fool. Science is great for what is going on now and will be great for what we are facing but science is not a perfect past predictor as many think.

“Good day to you!”

Level 2

Earth

#100420 Oct 3, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah dude, but this lack of evidence has been going on for 300 years while thousands of scientists and plain fundamentalists have been looking for it. Never happened. There is absolutely NO evidence for a Noachian flood. The story has been falsified.
If somehow you can find some real evidence for a flood...come to us....until then it is a closed subject with science.
...and that's how science works. A few believe where many disbelieve and leave the few to prove their belief. In this case, the many established a 'deluge' theory for how the earth was shaped and a few were left to prove otherwise. Now the many are left to show evidence that somewhere lays evidence for this deluge by the many that doubt it.

“Good day to you!”

Level 2

Earth

#100421 Oct 3, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
Nobody ever thought bacteria could live in extreme places until the evidence came in and more testing was done. Now we knows that bacteria can even live and thrive in JP4/JP5 jet fuel. Scary stuff.
You seem to be of the opinion that all scientific knowledge is wrong or twisted, and because it is wrong at first, but then revised, you don't believe any of it.
Typical evangelical fundamentalist YEC attitude....can't learn anything new.:-)
lol...wrong. I am of the opinion that when 'impossible' is used with science theory, people reveal a defeatists attitude and prove what they will never be capable of learning through possibilities. I believe what's been discovered in the past or at present stands the chance to be proven wrong and incorrect and or can be improved upon considering it's present understanding.
You and others here have proven post after post you're not open to possibilities, not I.

“e pluribus unum”

Level 8

primus inter pares

#100422 Oct 3, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
I know I am going to step on my own @ss here but hey, I don't care. For all we know these stories of a flood and such could have been around for 100's of thousands of years back when man/pre-man did not/could not write or kept track of days or years but yet passed on the stories down through the generations until they eventually learned to write and such. So when they learned to write and keep dates they may have been off by many years. None of us know or will ever know and if any one says the do for sure, they are liars, point blank period. Science is a good tool and has helped us in may ways but science itself is not free from fault. Back when Mt. St. Helens blew science dated a rock from that eruption at or over 150,000 years old. Nothing is perfect, not even science. So what I am saying is if we were not there we will never know and if you think science is perfect, you are a fool. Science is great for what is going on now and will be great for what we are facing but science is not a perfect past predictor as many think.
On the other hand replay, it could be far better than you think.

“Ask Randy From Ballwin”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

He Is A Sock Know It All

#100423 Oct 3, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> On the other hand replay, it could be far better than you think.
I am not biased. I will give a benefit of a doubt to anyone.

“Good day to you!”

Level 2

Earth

#100424 Oct 3, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
Since the 1990's, archaeologists have explored and dated eleven Middle Archaic sites in present-day Louisiana and Florida at which early cultures built complexes with multiple earthwork mounds; they were societies of hunter-gatherers rather than the settled agriculturalists believed necessary according to the theory of Neolithic Revolution to sustain such large villages over long periods.
The prime example is Watson Brake in northern Louisiana, whose 11-mound complex is dated to 3500 BC, making it the oldest, dated site in the Americas for such complex construction. Construction of the mounds went on for 500 years until was abandoned about 2800 BC, probably due to changing environmental conditions.
Poverty Point culture is a Late Archaic archaeological culture that inhabited the area of the lower Mississippi Valley and surrounding Gulf Coast. The culture thrived from 2200 BC to 700 BC, during the Late Archaic period.[23] Artifacts show the people traded with other Native Americans located from Georgia to the Great Lakes region.
This is one among numerous mound sites of complex indigenous cultures throughout the Mississippi and Ohio valleys. They were one of several succeeding cultures often referred to as mound builders.
We have tremendous evidence of 'Native Americans' in the Americas from 13,000 years ago till today. What the heck else do you want.
If a million Native Americans gathered together and stomped around an area for 40 years we WOULD know about it. A small group constantly traveling to following herds....not so much.
Learn science dude.
Multiples of millions lived just on the NA area for thousands of years. Multiples of millions and we don't have 'tremendous' evidence. We have a 'smattering' of evidence for a culture here and a culture there and some overlapping for thousands of years. But we also have great voids of periods of time in between these cultures where populations seemed to almost disappear to nothing before expanding again.
So according to the other poster's logic, as you said, we should have tremendous evidence of culture overlapping culture from the east to the west and the north to the south with inventiveness constantly astounding the modern mind. But it didn't happen as the other poster proposes.
So the point remains that if an exodus did take place by low life level slaves/servants from a kingdom to another land and moved constantly as nomads wander today for 40 years, the population shrinking and or maybe growing here and there as people left the exodus or joined it, the existing evidence for such an exodus coupled with 2000 plus years of top surface change by weather and quakes etc would very little if anything if it did happen.
I'm in the agreeance here that actual evidence for this exodus will be a very rare discovery if it's out there to be found.

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Evolution is true.....

#100425 Oct 3, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
I know what evidence is and I know what evidence isn't that isn't available to be used as proof against something that can't be proved to have happened.
The global flood is a myth. The time line for the myth has problems. So with those problems neither pro or con can accurately set forth a probable theory based on reasonable evidence to prove for or against it.
And bottlenecks have happened. Maybe you should Google the words you used. Since we have no precise data for when this myth actually took place, you can't use bottleneck data for or against the theory.
So you're saying that there is a problem with the mythical flood timeline. Being a myth, such as it is, what time do you believe this myth was supposed to have happened?

Isn't DNA able to tell us about bottlenecks?

“Good day to you!”

Level 2

Earth

#100426 Oct 3, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
How about the Large Hadron Collider in Europe, and the particles they are looking for? How about black holes which were theorized,but not seen or detected for years?
As usual you are showing a complete lack of understanding of science and the scientific method.
lol...I have been the one stating science has endless possibilities and you and others have been criticising me for that view point. Now in your post you state what people 'thought' were possibilities and pursued those possibilities in the face of skeptics and were right for having that view that something existed for which no evidence existed.
Today, scientists still believe a flood, not a deluge that created how the earth looks today did take place. But thwere is no obvious evidence. People like you claim evidence exists to show a global flood never happened. Well the skeptics once claimed their was evidence against black holes before they were proven to exist. Your a skeptic with self imposed restrictive thinking. Simple to understand.

Level 9

Evolution is true.....

#100427 Oct 3, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
...and that's how science works. A few believe where many disbelieve and leave the few to prove their belief. In this case, the many established a 'deluge' theory for how the earth was shaped and a few were left to prove otherwise. Now the many are left to show evidence that somewhere lays evidence for this deluge by the many that doubt it.
So you are schooled enough in the subject to believe you are right and all the scientists who have studied these things for over a hundred years are dead wrong? Is this seriously what you believe?

You seem to feel confident about your knowledge here. Perhaps you could give us some hint of your schooling?

“Do not bend, fold, staple or”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

mutilate. Point down range.

#100428 Oct 3, 2013
Ricky F wrote:
<quoted text>RUSH Rocks!
Dang right they ROCK!

Level 9

Evolution is true.....

#100429 Oct 3, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
lol...I have been the one stating science has endless possibilities and you and others have been criticising me for that view point. Now in your post you state what people 'thought' were possibilities and pursued those possibilities in the face of skeptics and were right for having that view that something existed for which no evidence existed.
Today, scientists still believe a flood, not a deluge that created how the earth looks today did take place. But thwere is no obvious evidence. People like you claim evidence exists to show a global flood never happened. Well the skeptics once claimed their was evidence against black holes before they were proven to exist. Your a skeptic with self imposed restrictive thinking. Simple to understand.
The two do not equate, and I don't believe any competent scientists believe any kind of world-wide flood happened when humans were roaming the planet.

I'm claiming that there is no evidence FOR a flood exists and it is backed up by evidence to show it to have been not only unlikely but probably impossible. And beside, you your self agree its a myth.

The only thing you can use as evidence is a chapter of a book that was written by who knows who around 2500+- years ago.

“Good day to you!”

Level 2

Earth

#100430 Oct 3, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
One more major load of crap.
You seem to overlook that a great many of us DID believe in the bible. Raised in religious homes. Some of us - myself included - even went to religious schools. It was the bible itself (with a little help from it's 'friends') that convinced us that much of it was sheer baloney.
"You don't understand it" is the oldest, whiniest and absurdly useless defense of the thumpers. We understand it all too well.
Just saying.
The load of crap is your attitude that reflects/mirrors the attitudes Darwin faced, just saying.

“Good day to you!”

Level 2

Earth

#100431 Oct 3, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Why don't you read a book? Or learn to use Google? Or Wikipedia?
I've already given posted the Atacama. No reaction.
Waiting...
I obviously missed that post. You posted what information of the Atacama in what past post # to prove what by your opinion...? Waiting...

Since: Sep 13

UK

#100432 Oct 3, 2013
"Aura Mytha wrote:- From the first two sentences you reveal yourself to be clueless . It is the defining line that is quite effective at eliminating all future correspondence, in the matter . It would suffice that your information that ,you to pronounce your intentions simply by saying , that YOU DO NOT KNOW.
I have all the power in this world over this this concept.

You do not know..... But I do."

You reveal yourself to be the clueless one as you even neglect to close the quotation marks.

You also reveal yourself to be the clueless one as in a question such as "How did life begin with creationism or the big bang theory?" a person can only believe. In order to state that they know they would have to be able to present evidence that proves beyond doubt that what they claim is true and at this moment in time nobody as within their possession such evidence. If they did then we would not be having this debate.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Thousands of demonstrators protest Trump in Atl... 3 min swampmudd 1,265
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 5 min Europe 71,199
***Keep a Word~Drop a Word*** (Jan '10) 14 min Taanvi 83,580
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 14 min -Papa-Smurf- 23,096
Why Won't Men Admit They Wear Pantyhose? (Feb '10) 19 min james52 329
Make A Sentance out of a 5 letter word. (Nov '09) 23 min Mustang GT Girl 37,693
Create "short sentences using the last word" (Aug '12) 27 min Mustang GT Girl 10,944
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 47 min honeymylove 211,397
Poll What are you thinking right now? (May '08) 53 min honeymylove 3,222
A to Z songs by title or group! 1 hr wichita-rick 969
Back In The Day ... for the third time! 9 hr wichita-rick 241
More from around the web