Evolution vs. Creation

Full story: Best of New Orleans

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.
Comments
94,681 - 94,700 of 114,610 Comments Last updated 30 min ago

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2013

Judged:

No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
An attempt to get me to understand how science works? lol...way too fricking funny dude. I am well aware of how science 'doesn't' work. The first act of science is to deny something's existence someone is claiming by theory existed/exists. That is and has been the first act of science all along. Do you have any idea of how many discoveries in science were made by one or two individuals literally acting alone because the majority of other scientific minds scoffed, ridiculed and denied their proposed theory could even be true by the least evidence?
Good example: A single solitary geologist saw something in the Scablands that others missed. He now stands vindicated through all the opposition from other scientists who believed they were so 'factually' correct that it took millions of years for the Scablands to be formed and 'thought' they had actual geological proof.
It only takes a single open mind to prove yesterdays fact was false all along. I like possibilities :)
It takes a lot more than simply an open mind. It takes evidence.

Yes, science is by nature skeptical. I see nothing wrong with that. Would you prefer that science immediately embraces every crackpot idea that comes along? How far would we get with that?
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2013

Judged:

No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
I was of the same mind thought once. Then after I watched how quickly the land and seafloor volcanic activity changed Hawaii, how the Scablands were shown to have been brought to be in a succession of floods and not millions of years of time and how science has shown how a single ancient super volcano changed the landscape of the Mediterranean and even now with the sudden apearence of a single island, http://www.livescience.com/39922-pakistan-ear... I leave my self open to 'possibilities.'
And these kinds of processes are known about. But what you will notice that in these kinds of events there are NOT lots of nice neat little layers with specific kinds of fossils in specific layers and layers indicating desert land, grass plains (with pollen), marine layers, etc. These are only produced over long periods of time. Trust me when I say that professional geologists know more than you do. That's why there's no such thing as 'creation geologists' finding oil deposits based on your ideas.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2013

Judged:

No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
You really need to get a grip on the fallacy of your thinking dude. There is not and there never has been "MASSIVE evidence to prove a global flood never happened. How you don't comprehend that fact I don't understand. What is your MASSIVE evidence? Lack of evidence for a flood? See, if a global flood never happened, it obviously and rationally can't leave MASSIVE evidence behind to prove it never happened. Understand? How fricking twisted will your thinking be on this?
At present, there is no scientific proof that supports a global flood took place. Isn't that easy to say?
Actually I'd say that an ENTIRE PLANET full of life is quite a bit of evidence. You were already told why this would not be possible, so since you ignore anything theologically inconvenient then the only rational explanation is that you're just another liar for God.

And since God IS exactly what you're attempting to justify here it's also HIGHLY disingenuous trying to do so using evidence when evidence is UTTERLY superfluous to your position.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2013

Judged:

No Surprise wrote:
Nothing I claim is valid unless I support actual evidence that science agrees with is true and accurate. My point was ridiculing those that claim their is existing evidence to prove what can't be shown to have existed never existed, understand?
Obviously you have no clue as to how science works. It works by making predictions. As far as your flood is concerned it can ONLY work using magic. Not only do you not have any evidence but you don't have any scientific mechanisms to support it, and if you came up with something we both know you'd be making up BS, or repeating made up BS found on creationist sites.

Now, as far as biology is concerned, an ancient fossil with feathers and three middle-ear bones would be impossible, as it would be a violation of nested hierarchy. Life simply did not evolve like that. If we DO find such a fossil then we know that our position is then falsified. The potential for falsification is what makes things scientific. YOUR position on the other hand is not falsifiable. Doesn't matter WHAT evidence we find, you say a global flood MIGHT have happened. It's not that you simply have a lack of evidence, actual existing evidence of reality quite literally contradicts your claims. Meaning the only way around this is magic.

Therefore a global flood MIGHT have happened.

Because magic.
No Surprise wrote:
The opposite ludicracy is to claim there is existing evidence to prove what can't be proved to have existed did in fact exist.
A common creationist mistake.
No Surprise wrote:
At times what I have been discussing is my opinion of what could have taken place that is not based on actual evidence. Most call it the beginning of a hypothesis. Understand?
It's not even a hypothesis. Hypotheses can be investigated. Your position is literally "made up BS". On the same level as my alien breeding experiments story.
No Surprise wrote:
Of the dead body point I made consider this for relevance.
There is a story of an exodus. There is minimal weak circumstantial evidence for parts of the story. But there is no evidence for the exodus itself.
There are stories of four dictators killing 82 million to 182 million people in just several decades. There is evidence that they did kill people. There is minimal weak circumstantial evidence existing to prove 82 million to 182 million people were actually killed. There is no actual evidence existing to prove 82 million to 182 million people were killed.
Understand my point? Your's and other's logic can be applied to modern day history to cast doubt as to the historical accuracy because of the theory of 'missing evidence' you use to prove/show something didn't happen. Understand now?
Not really, because those things can be investigated. We have birth records then all of a sudden lots of people aren't leaving any paper trail. Historical documents, living eyewitnesses, video footage - and in general, a consensus by historians who know far more about the evidence for these things than either of us.

In short, you're out of your element.

If you wanna say the Bible "might" be true so you can say everything was made by an invisible magic wizard then go ahead. But if you say your claims are valid and have good reason to be taken seriously, you're lying.

Level 8

Seffner, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2013

Judged:

No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
It was what you insinuated.
If what is on the Merneptah stele is proved to be true of Israelites being beaten in war by an Egyptian pharaoh and were taken as captives/slaves back to Egypt, though the Biblical time period would be incorrect, the part of the story long disbelieved that Egyptians beat Israelites in war and took them as captives/slaves will be proved true. The question then will be what happened to those captives and the succeeding generations born of those captives? Were they absorbed into that culture and never left? Did they leave as in an exodus?
You're reading quite a bit into that stele. While it is very possible that it does refer to Israel (which is in some doubt) exactly what occurred after their defeat is pretty much guesswork.

“Up with which, I will not put”

Since: Jul 08

Sao Paulo

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2013

No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
If 'trama' after death causes NDE...
Seriously? Trauma after death?

Level 8

Seffner, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2013

No Surprise wrote:
According to the story, if anything remained of the exodus it would be minimal at best. The story states they lived in tents during their wandering years. That means they didn't erect cities of stone wood and mud brick three favorite building materials then. So looking for buildings wouldn't be advisable since the story states they weren't used and tents were.
Who said anything about buildings? Tents or not they woukd have built thousands of fires. Left tons of garbage behind. They would have buried their dead. Every heard of middens. Why is there no trace?
No Surprise wrote:
Personally I am not surprised that any evidence has been found. I will be surprised if evidence is found.
I would not be. If it's there.

Level 8

Seffner, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2013

Judged:

No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
You really need to get a grip on the fallacy of your thinking dude. There is not and there never has been "MASSIVE evidence to prove a global flood never happened. How you don't comprehend that fact I don't understand. What is your MASSIVE evidence? Lack of evidence for a flood? See, if a global flood never happened, it obviously and rationally can't leave MASSIVE evidence behind to prove it never happened. Understand? How fricking twisted will your thinking be on this?
At present, there is no scientific proof that supports a global flood took place. Isn't that easy to say?
You can ignore it if you choose but there is scientific evidence against a global flood.

Level 8

Seffner, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2013

Judged:

No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with something I heard in youth.'The Bible's only as correct as it's been translated that way. And humans err. So as the Bible will be.'
One would think an all powerful god would be able to keep his word from being corrupted. Especially considering he is the one who allegedly confused the languages.

Level 8

Seffner, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2013

richardIII wrote:
<quoted text>
We can agree to disagree. What are you playing? Walk don't Run? lol
I imagine that was supposed to mean something. What was it?

Level 8

Seffner, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2013

Judged:

JM_Brazil wrote:
<quoted text>
Not as painful as before death.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2013

Judged:

MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
You can ignore it if you choose but there is scientific evidence against a global flood.
By now, you should have a working understanding of the logic of fundie faith.
1) A recent and MASSIVE catastrophic global event that didn't happen wouldn't even leave faint regional traces that it didn't happen, therefore the Noachian Flud was real.
On the other hand,
2) a recent MASSIVE catastrophic global event that DID happen wouldn't even leave faint regional traces that it DID happen, therefore the Noachian Flud was real.
This is conclusive and MASSIVE evidence that science is a religion, God created chimpanzees from the rib of a banana and Obama was born in Kenya.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2013

JM_Brazil wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe he meant Drama ?

Level 8

Seffner, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2013

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
By now, you should have a working understanding of the logic of fundie faith.
1) A recent and MASSIVE catastrophic global event that didn't happen wouldn't even leave faint regional traces that it didn't happen, therefore the Noachian Flud was real.
On the other hand,
2) a recent MASSIVE catastrophic global event that DID happen wouldn't even leave faint regional traces that it DID happen, therefore the Noachian Flud was real.
This is conclusive and MASSIVE evidence that science is a religion, God created chimpanzees from the rib of a banana and Obama was born in Kenya.
Of course. It's all clear to me now.

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

G'dansk

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2013

Where the heck is everybody??
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2013

Went quiet all of a sudden, didn't it?

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2013

Gillette wrote:
Went quiet all of a sudden, didn't it?
Yeah long stick went boom ...after that , silence.

“I'm Your Huckleberry ”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

That's Just My Game

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2013

Judged:

thewordofme wrote:
Where the heck is everybody??
Out searching for missing links and I found where science says they have found a new one.

Scientists come face to face with evolution's missing link

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/technology/sci-tech/sci...
drinK the Hive

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2013

Avoid Making Them Yourselves...

http://www.gifbin.com/bin/072009/1248715399_a...

Level 1

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2013

Judged:

thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>See Cybele's reply to another post above.#100022

I keep telling you, but you don't seem to comprehend. Science doesn't know it all at once....baby steps man, baby steps

And just because we don't know right now, that doesn't mean we won't know next week or next year, etc. and it's definitely not a space you try and push YOUR God into because we will inevitably burn you.
Look you saying you don't know how is the correct response.

Science doesn't share that with you.
They make claims of all the laws of physic breaking down ( turning off )
So then they can make the claim of impossibilities. That is invoking there faith over science while calling it science. That is wrong!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••