Evolution vs. Creation

Full story: Best of New Orleans

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.
Comments
94,621 - 94,640 of 114,624 Comments Last updated 7 min ago

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 25, 2013

Judged:

The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't. Here's the answer:
http://img.docstoccdn.com/thumb/orig/13494836...
And as for what caused that, here's the answer:
http://www.topix.com/forum/news/evolution/T9Q...
Note that despite your inaccurate and dishonest claims, neither of these cause the slightest problem for abiogenesis, which involves the development of life on planet Earth during a time when all the materials required had already been present for a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooong time.
Dude, the simplest element, you don't have an answer to it. LOL! You are the daft one. You can't even tell where natural processes come from and why they occur. You have no clue! Abiogenesis don't have an answer, all they have are contradicting theories. Nada...

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 25, 2013

Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
Dude, the simplest element, you don't have an answer to it. LOL! You are the daft one. You can't even tell where natural processes come from and why they occur. You have no clue! Abiogenesis don't have an answer, all they have are contradicting theories. Nada...
Sure there is an explanation. Nucleosynthesis created all known natural elements.

Level 5

above and beyond

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 25, 2013

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>Sure there is an explanation. Nucleosynthesis created all known natural elements.
That natural process did not answer the question

Level 8

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 25, 2013

Judged:

Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
That natural process did not answer the question
Yes but why... will forever be a mystery, and you nor I can ever answer it. So,

Why ask a why? Chances are the answer, will make you mad.

Level 5

above and beyond

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 25, 2013

Judged:

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes but why... will forever be a mystery, and you nor I can ever answer it. So,
Why ask a why? Chances are the answer, will make you mad.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =TSkU_3dQwm4XX
I'm not into that noise

I listen to real music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Level 8

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 25, 2013

Judged:

Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not into that noise
I listen to real music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =_8m91u5aCcEXX
Music is noise yes, but it doesn't have to live up to any of our standards to be so.

BTW nice..

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 25, 2013

Judged:

richardIII wrote:
<quoted text>
Scientists say everything came from one very tiny point of something and grew into the entire universe, isn't that as hard to believe as that there is a "god"? Both pretty far fetched if you ask me.
Actually that is not quite what science says.

Perhaps a bit of education would be in order.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 25, 2013

Here is a short educational video for you:

&fe ature=c4-overview&list=UUU HW94eEFW7hkUMVaZz4eDg

“I'm Your Huckleberry ”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

That's Just My Game

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 25, 2013

Judged:

richardIII wrote:
<quoted text>
Scientists say everything came from one very tiny point of something and grew into the entire universe, isn't that as hard to believe as that there is a "god"? Both pretty far fetched if you ask me.
Yes science does say that the big bang that happened when nothing was there, not even time, continued to expand and became the universe with now with time. About 9-10 billion years after that big bang some how a single cell organism formed out of the things that in time formed from that big bang. That then single celled organism started multiplying, learned how or just luckily became a multi-celled organism and even started multiplying more. As time went on it became vertebrae organism, grew eyes, legs and etc etc, then evolved to animals, then also evolved to plants for the animals to eat, then the plants also started to eat the animals, from there some came from the water to live on land and some went from land to live in the water, some of the largest animals that ever existed became the little birds we see today and some of the smallest animals went on to became some of the biggest species we see today(such as whales). Everything we see today started from a single celled organism that not only evolved into other things to survive off of itself, it also learned to shape shift(change big to small and small to big) and become everything we see today. So my question to you is what the hellll is soooo hard to believe about that???

I am sure I skipped a few steps but the concept of it all is pretty much there.

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

G'dansk

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 25, 2013

richardIII wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know, i don't know any fundamentalists. I haven't denied evolution, I'm just not convinced of that first spark of life and where it came from. Random molecules spontaneously igniting life is shades of Frankenstein, isn't it?
And you don't think that having a spirit floating around the sky telling men to kill the neighboring tribes is not creepy??

Telling one of his followers to gather 100 foreskins as tribute.

Demanding the death of pregnant women by running swords through their bellies and bashing babies against rocks.

Killing the first-born children a few times

Turning out Job to the mercies of Satan (killed family/took everything).

This is the same God that's in the Old and New Testament, but now the PR people have got hold of him and he is a 'Loving God'

I find the adventures of the Christian religion, through time, as much more of a Frankenstein story then the accidental abiogenesis of life on earth.

“Truder 3/4 mile, call the ball”

Level 2

Since: May 11

Truder 505 ball, 2.5

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 25, 2013

Earlier I posted something that I thought would be thought provoking and insitefull. However, it is now quarter to 12 at night, I've had a few fingers of good 22 year old scotch and I'd like to share something that struck me while reading the posts since then...

A bumper sticker I once saw said; LORD, SAVE ME FROM YOUR FOLLOWERS!

All of this rhetorical religious drivel... No wonder people like me think people like you are suited only for banging rocks together and making grunting noises while flinging religious poo everywhere.

that's it for me.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 26, 2013

Judged:

Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
I could care less what you call God or not. But there is something that "created" everything. There may be a multitude of them.
Natural forces? Indeed.
Cybele wrote:
Dude, the simplest element, you don't have an answer to it. LOL! You are the daft one.
I left you the linky for the Big Bang which told you what particles were formed and when. Apparently that isn't enough because the cosmology can't yet explain the initial appearance of the singularity itself. Scientists may be able to do that if they can develop a working theory of quantum gravity.
Cybele wrote:
You can't even tell where natural processes come from and why they occur. You have no clue!
If I have no clue then you're so much further behind than that even that no-one can see you. Of the two of us only one has provided any answers at all. The other has been saying science doesn't know everything yet so maybe God(s) didit.
Cybele wrote:
Abiogenesis don't have an answer, all they have are contradicting theories. Nada...
Contradicting what? Zip, that's what. Your baseless rhetoric is so vague it doesn't come close to disguising the fact that you don't have any valid criticisms to lay upon science as you don't even know enough of the basics to even start. The hypothesis of abiogenesis is not dependent upon the Big Bang. The theory of evolution is not dependent upon abiogenesis. The theory of gravity is not dependent upon the origin of mass. Come back to us the moment you come up with any scientific alternatives that provide a better explanation.

But I guarantee you you won't do so in your lifetime.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 26, 2013

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
The amount Newtons calculations are off is mini, 43 arc seconds per century. Or 0.0119444444 degrees every 100 years. That's why Nasa still uses Newtons formulas
And we still teach it in schools.

Dunno about creationist schools tho.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 26, 2013

Judged:

richardIII wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know, i don't know any fundamentalists. I haven't denied evolution, I'm just not convinced of that first spark of life and where it came from. Random molecules spontaneously igniting life is shades of Frankenstein, isn't it?
Who says it was random? Only people who are incredulous towards the concept. However chemistry is not random. That's why we get water when we combine hydrogen and oxygen and never argon, platinum or helium. Chemicals were abundant on the early Earth so it's really just a case of continuous chemical processes leading to other chemical processes, such as life (life is chemistry). And this is what the geology of the early Earth shows us. Lots of chemistry going on, then around 3.5 to 3.8 billion years ago we get the first signs of organic chemistry, the building blocks of life. This is soon followed by prokaryotes then eukaryote lifeforms, then bacteria and other forms of multicellular life. Often people have theological contentions towards life starting in such primitive conditions but that's what the evidence indicates.

Then unfortunately we have silly people like Cybele who say abio is wrong because no-one knows for sure why the Big Bang started yet, despite them being separated by near 10 billion years.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 26, 2013

richardIII wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm suspicious of claims about things that happened 4 billion years ago, that's all.
Then no claim will ever satisfy you, no matter the evidence.(shrug)
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 26, 2013

richardIII wrote:
<quoted text>
Not in scientific terms, since the Big Bang theory actually has explanatory power, "God" does not.

Maybe Goddidit. Maybe it didit completely differently. Maybe it doesn't even exist. There's no way to tell because the concept cannot be scientifically examined. Therefore it is useless as an explantion, whereas with the Big Bang described background radiation pretty accurately.

If you wanna say that the Big Bang is amazing then I agree - the same can be said of lots, perhaps even all observable natural phenomena. That in no way diminishes or discredits their reality.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 26, 2013

Judged:

replaytime wrote:
multiplying, learned how or just luckily
Yes, just as hydrogen and oxygen "learned" how to make water. Or just got "lucky".

(eyeroll)
replaytime wrote:
it also learned to shape shift(change big to small and small to big)
And I take it you learned to shape-shift too? After all, I'm prett sure you look quite different to when you were four years old. Or four minutes even. Darn you're clever!

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 26, 2013

Judged:

richardIII wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll have to disagree with this statement. What 'science' says is not something that scientists just dreamed up. It is a summation of what the evidence indicates. Beginning with the work of Georges Lemaître - interestingly enough, a Catholic priest.

As yet, no one has discovered any evidence of the influence of a god on the emergence of the universe.

So, no, I don't agree that both are equally far fetched.

Level 5

above and beyond

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 26, 2013

Judged:

The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Come back to us the moment you come up with any scientific alternatives that provide a better explanation.
But I guarantee you you won't do so in your lifetime.
I guess you don't keep up with the news. That's why you don't care about other life forms from another planets. It's a possibility.

http://news.yahoo.com/did-earth-life-come-spa...

You have not provided any answers here. If so, you would've explained it by now.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 26, 2013

Judged:

Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess you don't keep up with the news. That's why you don't care about other life forms from another planets. It's a possibility.
http://news.yahoo.com/did-earth-life-come-spa...
You have not provided any answers here. If so, you would've explained it by now.
If life on earth originated elsewhere in the universe, that simply relocates the issue of abiogenesis. While it is a possibility, it does not provide an answer.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••