Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 168932 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

#99986 Sep 24, 2013
Dr Bong wrote:
And if Adam and Eve are responsible for all people in the world, why aren't we all inbred and shuffling about? Religion is bogus.
What kind of doctor are you, asking evidence for an allegorical literature? You have reduced your IQ for a minute here.

Level 5

above and beyond

#99987 Sep 24, 2013
Gillette wrote:
Are they consciously designed by someone? Of course not.
No design by "anything" at all? And yet atheists present their case with a "common ancestor" whom they have no idea what it really is. They mock the Adam and Eve relatedness, and yet assert that we are related to apes. You see how that logic sound ridiculous?
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#99988 Sep 24, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
All molecules have patterns based on atoms bonding with other atoms. You absolutely have no idea how atoms bond and create its own patterns. Do you?
A.) The laws of chemistry and the natural attractions thereof... or
B.) Jesus wills it.

I'm going with A.

“What U Don't Know U Fear”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

What U Fear U Will Never Know

#99989 Sep 24, 2013
Dr Bong wrote:
And if Adam and Eve are responsible for all people in the world, why aren't we all inbred and shuffling about? Religion is bogus.
Actually if you think about the ancestors we are have to evolved from didn't appear all at once as a population so they had to do inbreeding their selves, duh!

Level 5

above and beyond

#99990 Sep 24, 2013
Gillette wrote:
<quoted text>
A.) The laws of chemistry and the natural attractions thereof... or
B.) Jesus wills it.
I'm going with A.
false dichotomy. Fail.
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#99991 Sep 24, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
No design by "anything" at all? And yet atheists present their case with a "common ancestor" whom they have no idea what it really is. They mock the Adam and Eve relatedness, and yet assert that we are related to apes. You see how that logic sound ridiculous?
It's ridiculous to deny or mock the extensive DNA evidence that links homo sapiens to earlier proto-human members of the ape family, which family we share with monkeys, orangutans, gorillas, etc.

That's settled science. Nothing "ridiculous" about it.

Intelligent Design is a religious idea trying vainly to masquerade as science, but without a workable theory to test and verify.

“What U Don't Know U Fear”

Level 5

Since: Mar 13

What U Fear U Will Never Know

#99992 Sep 24, 2013
Gillette wrote:
<quoted text>
It's ridiculous to deny or mock the extensive DNA evidence that links homo sapiens to earlier proto-human members of the ape family, which family we share with monkeys, orangutans, gorillas, etc.
Intelligent Design is a religious idea trying vainly to masquerade as science, but without a workable theory to test and verify.
We share 40-50% of our DNA with a banana. So did the common ancestor come from the banana?
EndBigGovernment

Fort Myers, FL

#99993 Sep 24, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually if you think about the ancestors we are have to evolved from didn't appear all at once as a population so they had to do inbreeding their selves, duh!
I don't follow you. Are you inbred?

Level 5

above and beyond

#99994 Sep 24, 2013
Gillette wrote:
<quoted text>
How did the first living cellular organisms come to existence? If we evolved from them, how did they come to life without a creator or some kind of force?

What is this common ancestor that spawned everything? What genetic information might it have had that it was capable of mutating successfully and produce a different species?

Do you have evidence that mutations produce patterns in genetic expression?

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Evolution is true.....

#99995 Sep 24, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
We share 40-50% of our DNA with a banana. So did the common ancestor come from the banana?
I can only assume you don't really understand what you are saying here. The other alternative is that you do understand, but you are trying to create a 'Lying for Jesus' fog around us.

The fact that we share DNA with fruit just shows that all of us on earth share a common ancestor.

Are you a follower of Ray Comfort and that 'Growing Pains' kid? They have an unhealthy obsession with bananas. I'm thinking this because this is about the 40th.(notice the Biblical tie-in here with the number'40') time you have brought this up.:-)

“Happiness comes through giving”

Level 7

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#99996 Sep 24, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sorry, but how am I "smug" simply for noting that water is wet? Because that's REALLY all that is happening here - people describing reality debunking people who claim magic wizards are necessary.
If you wanna see smug then take a look at the opening post, or our resident Russian fundie.
You keep accusing me of offering "magic" as an explanation of the origins of life. If you can find even a hint of that in anything I've said, I'll back down right now.

The smugness comes from a certitude that your reasoning is correct, on a subject where we could all benefit from a little humility, and a condescending attitude toward anyone who dares disagree with you.

Level 5

above and beyond

#99997 Sep 24, 2013
Evolution and creation proponents do not agree with 7 day creation because both sides take the literal interpretation of the bible, which is really ridiculous.

One day did not equal 24 hours during that era of creation because when the sun was created, it did not form "instantly" to give its full function of producing daylight in a 24 hour day cycle. In other words, during its inception it did not fully give a 24 hour cycle to complete one full day that we observe now. Not until later, when planets, moons, asteroids and meteors were formed to be our solar system. So if this Creator did say, "I completed one full day!" get a clue.

Level 7

Location hidden

#99998 Sep 24, 2013
Gillette wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus gonna burn us forever, that loving God of yours, right? LOL
You, sir or madam, are an a'hole. If you had kept up with the conversation, you would have learned that I am no fan of the bible, or sons of god, or any religious explanations for the origins of life. Shoo!

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Lakeland, FL

#99999 Sep 24, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
No. Duh.

Level 7

Location hidden

#100000 Sep 24, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
I do, but generally not from the fundies. For instance, you apparently weren't aware that Jerry Bergman was a reality-denying Young Earther with no science background. So you learned that today. Or you WERE aware of this, but didn't care anyway when you referenced him as a "scientific" authority, at which point you discovered you really are a fundie, even though the petty details of your baseless religious opinions may not necessarily line up exactly with a typical YEC or OEC. Heck, Perry Marshall is a theistic evolutionist and he's still a fundie.
Wanna stop being a fundie? Stop being anti-reality. Wanna be anti-reality? Continue being a fundie. I really don't care which. Just remember that if fundies turn up here talking complete and utter total bollox as they usually do because they can't help themselves, there will be people like us here to point out their errors.
Smug people who say water is wet, whether there be magic wizards or no magic wizards. And stop whining because you can't demonstrate the existence of magical wizards.
Horseshit, Dude. This dance is over.

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Evolution is true.....

#100001 Sep 24, 2013
Cybele wrote:
Evolution and creation proponents do not agree with 7 day creation because both sides take the literal interpretation of the bible, which is really ridiculous.
One day did not equal 24 hours during that era of creation because when the sun was created, it did not form "instantly" to give its full function of producing daylight in a 24 hour day cycle. In other words, during its inception it did not fully give a 24 hour cycle to complete one full day that we observe now. Not until later, when planets, moons, asteroids and meteors were formed to be our solar system. So if this Creator did say, "I completed one full day!" get a clue.
Cybele, do you really think this happened?

Level 5

above and beyond

#100002 Sep 24, 2013
Cybele wrote:
Evolution proponents do not agree with 7 day creation because both evolution and creation proponents take the literal interpretation of the bible, which is really ridiculous.
fixed

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Lakeland, FL

#100003 Sep 24, 2013
Cybele wrote:
No,'evolutionists' hold that the literal interpretation of Genesis *IS* ridiculous.

Level 5

above and beyond

#100004 Sep 24, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
Cybele, do you really think this happened?
Come to think of it, ever wonder what a baby sun might have been?

This is important since scientists are trying to create a mini-sun on earth to provide endless of supply of clean energy.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#100005 Sep 24, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
No, but we do have a common ancestor with a banana. It would have been about 2 billion years ago, but there was one.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 18 min wichita-rick 165,419
Whatcha' doing? (Apr '12) 30 min Joey 8,672
Danger!!! Chicago's Oak Street Beach has NO sa... 1 hr Virtual tourist 14
Let's Play Songs Titled with Two Words ... (Nov '14) 1 hr wichita-rick 921
Chat With Friends (Nov '11) 1 hr Crazy Jae 128
Play "end of the name"... 1 hr Crazy Jae 159
Change-one-of-six-letters (Dec '12) 2 hr Crazy Jae 5,672
The Gettsburg Address 2 hr Susan B 25
motorcycle traveling stories 2 hr Ferret 1,246
Child Sex Offenders 4 hr Dr Wu 14