Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 222920 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

Level 1

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#100011 Sep 24, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>....it's still going right over your head, huh?
What? that he invokes magic to make his guesses possible (if you believe in his magic)
Level 1

Location hidden

#100012 Sep 24, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>Do you realize the implications of the Human Neanderthal connection??
Next you'll start on chromosome number 2 being proof you are related to apes.
Level 1

Location hidden

#100013 Sep 24, 2013
Dan_Dan_the_Geology_Man wrote:
<quoted text>To say Darwin was a racist is completely irrelevant to the discussion of evolution, and it is unfair to judge someone by todays moral standards. There is proof that life arose from"nothing" (as though i wouldn't consider a soup of proteins to be nothing) and this theory is called abiogenesis, google it. Evolution or Darwinism is not followed like a religion because unlike a religion, it does not require blind faith and is supported by hard evidence. Seriously, look for a credible scientist (by credible i mean some one who follows the scientific method) who does not support evolution.

To name one small piece of evidence; what about the order we see fossils inside of rick strata? If creationism was correct, we would see dinosaur fossils next to human fossils. Actually, we probably wouldn't even see fossils since they take millions of years to form, but for arguments sake we will ignore that. Instead, we do have a fossil record, and it does show a slow evolution of species.

To say that scientists are dogmatic in their practice in just uniformed. Scientists have admitted mistakes throughout the development of the evolutionary theory. To name a few, piltdown man and recapitulation theory. However it is important to note that just because mistakes have been made in the development of the theory does not mean that the entire theory is incorrect. The great thing about science is that when a mistake is made, it just clarifies the rest of the theory by excluding that specific piece of the puzzle.

Also yes, evolution is a THEORY because until we invent a time machine and take pictures and extensive notes, there will be conflicting ideas and themes. But, gravity is also a theory, and most people don't doubt it's existence.
"There is proof that life arose from"nothing""

Where?
Science has been looking for that proof from day one and you know where it is?

Stop the press we have a new head line!!!!

“Happiness comes through giving”

Level 7

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#100014 Sep 24, 2013
Gillette wrote:
<quoted text>
I've been around here for years. You'll have slinked away LONG before I ever go anywhere. LOL
I don't care if you petrify here. All I ask is that you know what you're talking about when posting.
Level 1

Location hidden

#100015 Sep 24, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>Ooooh, I can just see the scientists shaking in their boots.

You need to get a new phone....the spelling is atrocious.:-)
I let it auto finish too often.
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#100016 Sep 24, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
I KNOW how the theory works. Thanks but I have better sources than that link you provided. I've debated here before and no evolutionists here could answer my questions. Thanks for letting me know you can't either. I won't waste my time any longer.
You waste it constantly when you ask those questions (although I suspect you know exactly what you're doing when you ask them).

If you've got any brains at all, you've learned by now that your questions either 1.) have nothing to do with evolution, or 2.) are things that science doesn't know yet, or 3.) are completely incomprehensible.

What the hell does it even MEAN to say "Do you have evidence that mutations produce patterns in genetic expression"? Do you even understand your own question?
Level 1

Location hidden

#100017 Sep 24, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>I don't see any public acclaim or journal articles or anything to support or suggest that science has been wrong all these years.

And you DO know that fundamentalists have been predicting the fall of evolution for over 150 years....they just can't find any supporting evidence....it's all on Darwin's side.

All I see is the usual kind of attack by fundamentalists....trying to muddy the water instead of exploring and learning stuff. Using places like AiG or ICR or such like, to get phony science, ignoring sooo much reality
For 150 years evolution has failed to do one macro evolution the kind that Darwin talks about.

You think turning on and off light switches is magic. Who put those light switch in? No evolution. In every single instance that a species has been isolated and a new species proclaimed the fact is the isolation has caused the "new" species has lost DNA!

NEVER ONCE has it added DNA.
Mutated DNA yes never new DNA.

Evolution hard at work is seen in massive inbreeding. Look how well those mutation have created such improved humans.
Level 1

Location hidden

#100018 Sep 24, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>You'd be the only one on the planet.(shrug)

The Almighty Tzar wrote, "
Your facts - time can't existed with out going into magic land to create it."

Oh, KJ, you're lying again.

The Big Bang could not have happened without invoking magic."

False. Time was either uncaused or time continues infinitely into the past. No need for magic.

The goo pond could not produce the first life form with out magic."

False. All that's required is chemistry, since all that's required today to make life is chemistry. No need for magic.

Macro evolution could have never happened with out magic."

False. All it requires are the mechanisms which are observed. No need for magic.

The Almighty Tzar wrote, "Ya you've got facts, fact that science can't explain.
"

Science is the ONLY thing that explains facts. Godmagic doesn't explain anything. That's why the Big Bang you like to decry correctly predicted redshift, and background radiation to an accuracy of 3 parts per million. Goddidit can't do that.

That's why abiogenesis correctly predicted the first life was basic biochemistry followed by microbial/bacterial life forms. Goddidit can't do that.

That's why evolution correctly predicted nested hierarchies and precisely where to find fossils and what characteristics they would have. Goddidit can't do that.

In short for everything science knows you replace with Godmagic. For everything science doesn't know you replace with Godmagic. But for everything science knows we know thanks to science while Godmagic hasn't been able to explain anything for thousands of years.

Your computer is not running on Godmagic. But it DOES allow you to quotemine scientists. You're welcome.
Dud, Stephen Hawkings total disagrees with you.
Level 1

Location hidden

#100019 Sep 24, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>BS
(BS) Brilliant Statement "thank you."
davy

Albuquerque, NM

#100020 Sep 24, 2013
Have the religitards found a talking snake? Is inbreeding the cause of your malfunction?
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
For 150 years evolution has failed to do one macro evolution the kind that Darwin talks about.
You think turning on and off light switches is magic. Who put those light switch in? No evolution. In every single instance that a species has been isolated and a new species proclaimed the fact is the isolation has caused the "new" species has lost DNA!
Evolution hard at work is seen in massive inbreeding. Look how well those mutation have created such improved humans.
Level 1

Location hidden

#100021 Sep 24, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>Say what? You consider scientific fact to be a get out of jail free card? Hey, only when said scientific fact blows a huge hole in your goddidit by magic routine and for sure it is not free.

Science sticks to the laws that are laws, no religion involved. Religion is faith (i.e. what you believe without evidence) Science is fact that can be falsified.

So

Plenty of evidence, there is the evidence of the hubble diagram, there is the evidence of the CMB, there is the evidence of the Sloan digital survey

There is evidence in the very laws that govern this universe. Using the methods listed above and observations takes us back to a point. At that point the material that makes this universe was too dense for even the laws to exist. Not until 10^-34th of a second after that point were conditions possible for the laws to begin resolving themselves and not until around 10^-20th of a second did the laws represent anything tangible in human terms.

All you need to do is spend a little more time (ok a lot of time) educating yourself and breaking the shackles of you indoctrination.
Sorry "this is where all the laws of physics break down" is science invoking magic. Science must follow the rules.
And leave out all the magic and religion.

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

#100022 Sep 24, 2013
Gillette wrote:
<quoted text>
You waste it constantly when you ask those questions (although I suspect you know exactly what you're doing when you ask them).
If you've got any brains at all, you've learned by now that your questions either 1.) have nothing to do with evolution, or 2.) are things that science doesn't know yet, or 3.) are completely incomprehensible.
What the hell does it even MEAN to say "Do you have evidence that mutations produce patterns in genetic expression"? Do you even understand your own question?
I am not like you, who accepts everything from a textbook and never question it. How will science progress without asking such questions? hmm.

I know exactly what I'm asking. Maybe you don't understand it. It's not my fault you don't comprehend it.

Let me explain. There is a thing called DNA microarray that scientists use to study patterns in genetic expressions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNA_microarray

Now, I've just read about this method also used for tumor cells and whether they express specific sets of genes. The experiment is used to analyze sequences in tumors and normal cells. So my question is, since mutation plays a big role in evolution and tumor cells are produced from mutations, there should be evidence that all kinds of mutations, beneficial or not, produce some kind of "pattern" in genetic expressions in DNA.

DNA code is based on "permutation" of nucleobases. Unless you have proof that mutation rather than permutation is what drives evolution.

It is not something we fully understand yet. But how are we going to hack the DNA code if we don't ask?

“ROCK ON ROCKERS!!”

Level 8

Since: Mar 11

Rockin' USA ;)

#100026 Sep 24, 2013
YA think by NOW...One of you WOULD have FIGURED it OUT by NOW!!

VERDICT, please????

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Evolution is true.....

#100027 Sep 24, 2013
richardIII wrote:
<quoted text>
The likelhood of a "god" creating life and 2 or 3 inert molecules doing it are about the same.
I think the molecules stand a much better chance. Can't believe people still believe this magic and floaty man in the sky crap.

Level 9

Evolution is true.....

#100028 Sep 24, 2013
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
See Cybele's reply to another post above.#100022

I keep telling you, but you don't seem to comprehend. Science doesn't know it all at once....baby steps man, baby steps

And just because we don't know right now, that doesn't mean we won't know next week or next year, etc. and it's definitely not a space you try and push YOUR God into because we will inevitably burn you.

Level 9

Evolution is true.....

#100029 Sep 24, 2013
The Almighty Tzar wrote:
<quoted text>
Like I said WE have ALL the evidence....you have none.

Level 9

Evolution is true.....

#100031 Sep 24, 2013
richardIII wrote:
<quoted text>
Think some more, evolutionists believe the 2-3 molecule theory merely because they have nothing else to believe. Me? I don't have a clue where we came from.
So there is only Abiogenesis /evolution, or creationism??

How about the fact that the connection has been made from humans to earlier hominids such as Homo-neanderthalensis, Homo-heidelbergensis, Homo-erectus, etc....we ARE blood related, we are of the great ape line.

What does this do to the fundamentalists belief that mankind was only created few thousand years ago and there was not all those inconvenient earlier hominids running around for over a million years (some of them).

“ad victoriam”

Level 8

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#100032 Sep 24, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
US Gallons? Short measure?
The imperial gallon was removed from the list of legally defined primary units of measure catalogued in the EU directive 80/181/EEC, US gallons did not even register
I donít drink so much but when I do I prefer Cognac but a few trillion gallons of a good single malt would not go amiss
I'll see you a malt and raise you a army!
Now Daenerys Targaryen, what do you wish us dragons and menz to do?
:)

The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#100033 Sep 25, 2013
I AM SIRIUS wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't care, NASA and other science institutions are doing the job you cannot do.
You might have a point if I was disagreeing with them. I don't. None of these scientific organisations are claiming evidence of aliens or magical wizards beyond the universal boundary. If they are, then they are not scientific organisations. They are places like the Discovery Institute.
I AM SIRIUS wrote:
If there is no design in nature and the universe, why do scientists use DNA microarray to study gene expression "patterns?"
If we are all products of millions of mutations for millions of years, provide evidence that mutations produce patterns in gene expression.
That should be easy, since we have ample knowledge of genetics and available computers that can do the work.
Life. There, that was easy wasn't it? If you're interested (which you aren't) you could look up emergent properties which is the study of how repeatable patterns develop naturally via natural forces.

Problem with fundies is they think the opposite of "intelligence" is "random".
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#100034 Sep 25, 2013
Cybele wrote:
Stop the useless banter and get your brain to work and be productive. Make yourself useful. I'm sick and tired of these nonsense arguments. Pointless.
Go away then.(shrug)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What turns you on ? (Aug '11) 4 min Bovenzi13 2,952
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 10 min Zani Grey 224,336
Why Do White People Start Stuff They Canít Fini... 18 min Boinkface 24
Denny Crain's Place (May '10) 18 min Tissue For You 28,800
Let's Play Songs Titled with Two Words ... (Nov '14) 21 min Camilla 2,574
The Next Person Game (Mar '11) 23 min Zani Grey 10,517
Names, A to Z, ... (Aug '12) 29 min Bovenzi13 4,108
Poll What are you thinking right now? (May '08) 3 hr whatimeisit 6,403
More from around the web